Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Democrats calling the mods and the mass surveillance of US citizens is equivalent is definitely a Glenn brained idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

tbf it's understandable dems think "hide till it blows over" is a good strategy bc it's served them well to date, as the fake-news to real-news to old-news pipeline shows.

well but the problem with the fake->real->old pipeline is that only works within a fractured set of the populous. so of course democratic primary voters wont give a poo poo about twitter, just like they didnt give a poo poo about the irs targeting.

but the right wing does and will. the democratic / pro-dem media choice to let it keep simmering will only drive right wing turnout in 2024.

the fundamental reason goes back to the reality that the random losers tweeting the 14 words are ideologically aligned with republican leadership while the random losers tweeting "climate change will kill us" are not aligned ideologically with democratic leadership.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Twitter drops are dumb too because whatever they're revealing there is way worse poo poo being kept secret. I just have so little interest in being manipulated into outrage because all of Jeffrey Epstein's old friends are fighting. Elon trying to convince all the Q folks he's fighting some pedo cabal is pathetic.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Willa Rogers posted:

hunter's got a new exhibit; for a mere $55k to $250k you can own a bit of crackhead failson history.

Money laundering for daddy

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gumball Gumption posted:

Democrats calling the mods and the mass surveillance of US citizens is equivalent is definitely a Glenn brained idea

:hai:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

hunter's got a new exhibit; for a mere $55k to $250k you can own a bit of crackhead failson history.

pretty sure ive seen some of these in those adult coloring books they sell at barnes and noble or whatever

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Willa Rogers posted:

oh lol I forgot about his art career

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

it’s the IRS investigations into political orgs all over again.

The conversation is purposefully narrowed to only focus on conservatives completely ignoring the way left wing groups are targeted often far more so, and Dems with all their media savvy and connections think “hide til it blows over” is the best strategy since they can’t be caught defending those dirty leftists.

So yes, you’ll be hearing about twitter’s censorship on 1/6 for years to come.

Yeah, I'm not under any illusions that Glem or Bari or Matt care about the left here (though Glem gives it a brief note), but coordination between the Democrat establishment, national security, and Silicon Valley is undeniably a thing.

People on the left giving it a pass because the ones talking about it are conservatives is ultimately self-defeating.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

"It's a genuine Hunter Biden"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, I'm not under any illusions that Glem or Bari or Matt care about the left here (though Glem gives it a brief note), but coordination between the Democrat establishment, national security, and Silicon Valley is undeniably a thing.

People on the left giving it a pass because the ones talking about it are conservatives is ultimately self-defeating.

people on the left generally think corporate control of the media is bad in general. there's no need or use to getting up in arms about twitter being mean to trump on 1/6 or bakedalaska getting banned even if hillary clinton or the nsa asked for it to happen.

it is the mainstream democrats giving it a pass because they like the coordination and think its good even if it defeats them more often than it helps them win.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

people on the left generally think corporate control of the media is bad in general. there's no need or use to getting up in arms about twitter being mean to trump on 1/6 or bakedalaska getting banned even if hillary clinton or the nsa asked for it to happen.

it is the mainstream democrats giving it a pass because they like the coordination and think its good even if it defeats them more often than it helps them win.

Well yeah, but people in this thread and on Twitter playing down the releases because Bari Weiss is an idiot are walking alongside those Dems is what I'm saying.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

ah, ok... now I understand what trab was saying, and I fully agree with both you & him.

I think this is a natural consequence of democrat echo chambers & VBNMW, and well serves to cloud the bipartisan fealty to capital.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

obama wants to empty american nuclear silos? must be a pretty big wedding

lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Willa Rogers posted:

the lighting in this gallery is a loving war crime

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Twitter drops are dumb too because whatever they're revealing there is way worse poo poo being kept secret. I just have so little interest in being manipulated into outrage because all of Jeffrey Epstein's old friends are fighting. Elon trying to convince all the Q folks he's fighting some pedo cabal is pathetic.

is this syq? am i being succ'd upon?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

speaking of war crimes, that hunter artwork made me look up gwb's paintings; here's all of them that have been made public.

he's actually p. good at portraits but lmao at the saddam/osama clowns.

and he made that one army guy look like nicholas cage.

edit: tell me this isn't cage. :colbert:

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Dec 10, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Looks kinda like James Woods

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Well yeah, but people in this thread and on Twitter playing down the releases because Bari Weiss is an idiot are walking alongside those Dems is what I'm saying.

That’s idiotic, because the conversation isn’t about opposing collaboration between elites, it’s about conservatives being mad the wrong elites doing the collaboration.

There’s no benefit from playing the right wing’s game here.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Obvious, but the self-portrait should have gotten the same clown treatment

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

That’s idiotic, because the conversation isn’t about opposing collaboration between elites, it’s about conservatives being mad the wrong elites doing the collaboration.

Playing what game? Did twitter work with Democrats and national security figures to decide what content to obscure or not?

Once that is established then you can make the point that conservatives would do the same as will Elon, but saying "nothing to see here" or "we already knew this" just reinforces the Dems.

Conservatives are *doing your work for you*.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

:yeah:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

"It's a genuine Hunter Biden"

lol

“I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world.”

“I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges.”

“His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit.”

“He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”

“He transcends time and space.”

“He sickens me.”

“I love it.”

“Me too.”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Playing what game? Did twitter work with Democrats and national security figures to decide what content to obscure or not?

Once that is established then you can make the point that conservatives would do the same as will Elon, but saying "nothing to see here" or "we already knew this" just reinforces the Dems.

I keep coming back to the main argument here is that it’s bad, which is obvious, but also that all of this has been and will continue to be used to silence heterodox voices, and they only reason anyone in the mainstream cares is because the conservatives would like to be the gatekeepers instead of the Dems

It’s not too different from the arguments to work for and elect lesser evil candidates, where they just care about power and not about actually doing things that benefit anyone but themselves

I think it sucks that the Biden campaign was working hand in hand with Twitter, but it also sucked when the NYT was working hand in hand with W admin

I just have a hard time getting worked up about this because it seems like more of the same and the only people who benefit are people already in power who want more

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

who would jesus bomb is pretty good lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

i need to see a certificate that the artist was on crack when these were drawn or they're worthless

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PhilippAchtel posted:

i mean, to me, it seems like they basically had a report button that instantly got their reports flagged as critical, which actually makes sense for public figures etc, but twitter still handled the reports either consistently with their usual guidelines or were less strict than they normally would be

in fact i’m not really sure how any kind of large-scale social media platform could do without this, because having random report handling contractor #64662 make the call on a decision for ANY high profile account is a recipe for imminent disaster

i have the perspective of someone who’s worked in this kind of environment admittedly but all the stuff in the “twitter files” so far seems like completely normal procedure for how you deal with media/high profile accounts to ensure someone down the chain doesn’t gently caress it up and make a million dollar mess

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Homeless Friend posted:

i need to see a certificate that the artist was on crack when these were drawn or they're worthless

same, but I would also like to see the printouts from the laboratory that analyzed a sample of the crack and determined its purity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

I think the thing that gets me about it is that these people will be like "sure that's bad, but just isn't worth talking about," but then they'll get super riled up over the vital importance of defeating their culture war enemies online, even if it requires these tech companies working with Democrats (to the point that you're actually the bad one if you don't enthusiastically agree with this - like cbo's recent probation).

Wanting to punish random bigots online? Not only good, but you're a bad person if you don't support whoever does this (even if it's a company responsible for roughly 100,000x the harm)

Wanting to punish large companies and political figures who directly contribute to the death and immersion of millions of people worldwide? Sounds like you sympathize with the chuds on Twitter, since they also don't like Big Tech.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

Wow, those are pretty good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ytlaya posted:

I think the thing that gets me about it is that these people will be like "sure that's bad, but just isn't worth talking about," but then they'll get super riled up over the vital importance of defeating their culture war enemies online, even if it requires these tech companies working with Democrats (to the point that you're actually the bad one if you don't enthusiastically agree with this - like cbo's recent probation).

I probated CBO because he was doing his Glenn shtick outside of the containment zone and other people were getting really annoyed at it. There's really not much more to read into it than that, my dude.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

ok, now I'm confused, bc I thought you were originally agreeing with PA.

"playing the right wing's game" by pointing out collusion among elites strikes me as the wrong approach, bc if the non-involved liberals or left don't do the pointing out it doesn't make it any less collusive.

and when it's the left pointing poo poo out, like manning exposing obama's war crimes, it isn't "playing the liberals' game," is it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

I probated CBO because he was doing his Glenn shtick outside of the containment zone and other people were getting really annoyed at it. There's really not much more to read into it than that, my dude.

He was directly replying to someone else (with the conversation starting due to another person actually mentioning Glenn "out of the blue" - as had a bunch of other people who weren't punished for breaching some imagined containment zone), and in a way directly relevant to Twitter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Let's take this discussion to the feedback thread. I'll reply there.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.tiktok.com/discover/ron-desantis-gay-voice

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pair that gay voice with the pic of desantis wearing those mojo jojo white boots & hoo boy! bet the chuds would throw a hissy fit as seeing their hero look & sound like a sissy! a sissy hissy!

brb, running to DU with the mashup!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It'll be the new Sassy Trump!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Obama wants to get rid of all the nukes because they get in the way of conventional warfare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

Let's take this discussion to the feedback thread. I'll reply there.

I guess I'll post something later, though I didn't actually intend my post in this thread as a "moderator criticism" (since it's only a probation and I generally think you're one of the better moderators we've had - the sexpig permaban is the only semi-recent-ish C-SPAM moderation thing that I think was seriously wrong). I was just commenting that there's usually a similar mindset involved with these things.

Part of why this particular sort of topic stands out is that I understand where it usually comes from and the motivations involved are often sympathetic. Liberals/Dems will take something accurate (like "people are being bigoted") and use this to direct attention towards non-institutional entities (or institutions that aren't aligned with the Democratic Party). The end result is that something like "using a major social media platform to foment color revolutions" is treated as secondary to "letting some bigots post," to the extent that we have an obligation to support (or at least not give negative attention to) social media moderation if they ban some bigots. A good and sympathetic perspective of "you should care about people's feelings and language can cause real harm" is warped into "we mustn't discuss the government working with social media to support color revolutions, because if they lose this power the bigots will be able to post again."

It's like the social justice version of conservatives who think that anyone who doesn't support larger and better armed law enforcement is a criminal or criminal sympathizer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

This is normal, that's just the reality we live in. Big Business works with favorable politicians and national security figures. And since we let big business control our media that includes content too.

None of the conservatives are mad that twitter colluded with politicians and national security figures, they're mad they didn't in these specific instances collude with the ones they like.

Neither party opposes big business colluding with politicians and the security state. And far more frequently it is left wing voices getting their content obscured rather than right wing voices.

But deciding to focus on the rare instance that some right wing idiots didn't get everything they wanted, because the wrong elites were colluding this time, will do absolutely to forward the idea that elite control of media and content is bad. All it is going to do is reinforce the myth that the right wing is particularly censored by the media (when the left wing demonstrably is).

Willa Rogers posted:

ok, now I'm confused, bc I thought you were originally agreeing with PA.

"playing the right wing's game" by pointing out collusion among elites strikes me as the wrong approach, bc if the non-involved liberals or left don't do the pointing out it doesn't make it any less collusive.

and when it's the left pointing poo poo out, like manning exposing obama's war crimes, it isn't "playing the liberals' game," is it?

My point is that Democrats could play the politics here better by working to undermine the narrative that twitter was uniquely anti-conservative but they won't be cause doing so would require them to defend the left wing voices who also got deplatformed by twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1601627483169619968

Imagine I was competent at graphics and labeled the bettors "succ thread," one monkey "Hunter Biden" and the other "Hunter Biden's accusers"