Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

thank you gifman you're doing the lord's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

France super lucky to not get a red and the ref was soft but OK.
I see we give the englishmen a few penalties and the all the occasions needed to equalize and when they fail to do so, it's our fault. :france:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Really pathetic from England today. Constantly mobbing the ref and waving imaginary yellow cards. Glad they're out.

evergreen

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

https://twitter.com/chidajunsei3163/status/1601661630269788163

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

glyph posted:

I mean, I'm no soccerologist or whatever, and I get that captains take penalties, but is it really that wise to have a guy take a game tying, and possibly pens forcing (meaning a likely THIRD PK in the same game), PK against his club keeper who has seen his poo poo countless times?

lloris is really bad at pens

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Walker did very little going forward. Trippier or Alexander-Arnold would have been really good options, even if just for the last 20 minutes.

TAA vs Mbappe would have been a slight to behold

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Walker did very little going forward. Trippier or Alexander-Arnold would have been really good options, even if just for the last 20 minutes.

It would have been fun to watch Mbappe set the record for goals in a single match in 20 minutes, I agree.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The person who got fouled should be the one that has to take the penalty kick anyway. If you take 1 for the team, you better earn it for the team, not pass it off on your captain.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
last time around all four semifinalists were European, now there's 2 European teams, 1 South American team, and for the first time ever 1 African team

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Vegetable posted:

There was never a red card offence

There were multiple yellow offenses when a player was already on a yellow and times where it should have been a yellow and that would have made the French defenders have to back off or risk a red.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i like how the beaten teams go to sleep but ronaldo cries instead

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

There were multiple yellow offenses when a player was already on a yellow and times where it should have been a yellow and that would have made the French defenders have to back off or risk a red.

Not really

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
As evidenced in this thread there is a lot of unjust anti English bias

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

France’s first goal came directly from the first (and I think only) time Walker stopped tracking Mbappe and pushed forward.

It’s not a good idea to do that.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

kcer posted:

mbappe did virtually nothing thanks to walker playing like he did, alexander-arnold would have been an absolute nightmare in that game

this has big "the uk might be a hellworld shithole right now but imagine how much worse it would be if jeremy corbyn was in charge" energy. france fielded a winger who doesn't defend, a left back who makes trent look like prime maldini, and adrien rabiot screening them. it was the most get-at-able side of a team going into the quarters and southgate decided to field a fullback who played as if he'd get fined a month's wages if he as much as stepped into the opposition half. it was cowardly football and england are going out as a result.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

HOLY poo poo FOX just stitched the gifs together for me :laffo:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

an_mutt posted:

this has big "the uk might be a hellworld shithole right now but imagine how much worse it would be if jeremy corbyn was in charge" energy. france fielded a winger who doesn't defend, a left back who makes trent look like prime maldini, and adrien rabiot screening them. it was the most get-at-able side of a team going into the quarters and southgate decided to field a fullback who played as if he'd get fined a month's wages if he as much as stepped into the opposition half. it was cowardly football and england are going out as a result.

Not to mention that he'd just been out for three months and obviously didn't have the legs to get forward effectively

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

an_mutt posted:

counter point, trent is loving shite lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/BesDMarx/status/1601689075617976322

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

vyelkin posted:

last time around all four semifinalists were European, now there's 2 European teams, 1 South American team, and for the first time ever 1 African team

also one of the euro teams is croatia rather than some western euro side with a big money league

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

AnacondaHL posted:

Lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

eleven extra elephants posted:

counter point, trent is loving shite lol

:hmmyes:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

an_mutt posted:

Trent might be the worst defender in the tournament, op

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I know we like to poo poo on Trent but Trippier is an option so maybe think about that and the broader point about England offering nothing from the fullback positions

Troutful
May 31, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

:discourse:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I know we like to poo poo on Trent but Trippier is an option so maybe think about that and the broader point about England offering nothing from the fullback positions

no

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Reckon that Kane saw Lloris going the right way at the last moment and tried to smash it even harder, with predictable results

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

it's really funny seeing france beat england by scoring a goal down england's right side, with an out of form england defender with no business being in the first team failing to deal with it, and the person being given the most stick coming out of the match is someone who didn't even play a minute of the tournament.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

TheRat posted:

TAA vs Mbappe would have been a slight to behold

4-4 would be my guess

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What is it about England that inspires such nuclear bad football takes. “Only a tactical COWARD would choose to mark the most terrifying attacking player in the world in a World Cup knockout game”

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Peel posted:

also one of the euro teams is croatia rather than some western euro side with a big money league

you know players don't have to play in their home country right? croatian players are in the EPL, bundesliga, serie A, etc

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

AnacondaHL posted:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

peanut- posted:

What is it about England that inspires such nuclear bad football takes. “Only a tactical COWARD would choose to mark the most terrifying attacking player in the world in a World Cup knockout game”

england fans are loving stupid op

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I hope that ref gets every game from here on in.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Bland posted:

england fans are loving stupid op

many people are saying this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Peel posted:

Croatia's domestic league is actually pretty good but:

kecske posted:

you know players don't have to play in their home country right? croatian players are in the EPL, bundesliga, serie A, etc

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

peanut- posted:

It's funny you're saying this because literally everyone agrees Southgate is a tactical coward, Trent or no Trent

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

kecske posted:

yeah but they're not a big established football power is what I mean, it's not like the semis are france and germany

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

peanut- posted:

we've gone past being 442 lump merchants to cruyff brained terminally subscribed to the athletic every position must play every role merchants