Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Thanks! My characters max out at level 50 so I think I’ll use the rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the rentals not only are free but presumably will include every characteri n the game as the event goes on so if you feel like redoing the stages you can try out everyone

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

PatentPending posted:

Thanks! My characters max out at level 50 so I think I’ll use the rentals.

Yeah, you can only use a portion of your own characters anyway, so if your guys aren't 70--80 you'll probably want to just use the rental team, if only because otherwise you might actually need the whole half-hour to kill everything (depending on how much damage you can actually manage).

In general, if the game offers trial characters, you can do the event with just them, even at the higher/highest difficulties. There's usually someone on reddit making GBS threads out videos doing just that, which is probalby helpful if you have no idea how to actually use the trial characters. Of course, there's also probably someone on reddit complaining that the trial characters are built wrong or whatever. Land of contrasts &c.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

from my experience without even reading Scara's kit the first one was a joke and the second I just brought my entire normal team except they didn't let me use Kuki for reasons. :shrug: It does not feel difficult at all so don't worry about bumbling through with trial characters.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The trials are dead simple, the only real requirement to win all the rewards is "understand how the reaction being featured works".

So, I guess people who've been solely playing mono geo since 1.x are the ones who'll have difficulty here??

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Tree Reformat posted:

The trials are dead simple, the only real requirement to win all the rewards is "understand how the reaction being featured works".

So, I guess people who've been solely playing mono geo since 1.x are the ones who'll have difficulty here??

:C I'm sure I'll get my chance to Noelle my way through the place. They can't all be swirl and dendro reaction challenges…

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
There's an Itto banner so I'm sure they'll feature him somehow.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

listen Noelle Spin2Win got me through the entire story; it will work here too :argh:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you can actually see all the featured characters from the menu where you select which stage to do, including the ones for the dungeons that aren't unlocked yet

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Scaramouche is an insufferable brat and there's no reason he couldn't have been a way cooler & less annoying villain. You know, like Scaramouche from Samurai Jack :c00l:

I so wanted to play this game on a controller and spent quite a while getting it to work. Still had this persistent controller problem with quick menu where I had to simultaneously release the quick menu button and the stick or the menu wouldn't select anything. I couldn't just hold the quick menu button, select the map, and release the button to open the map. So I gave up with the controller and have been using kb+m. Controller is way more comfortable; it's good to sit wherever and play.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ive been using a controller since the start and I feel it's ok, kind of? only thing that really blows is trying to hit precision shots with a bow from a distance

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Sanctum posted:

Scaramouche is an insufferable brat and there's no reason he couldn't have been a way cooler & less annoying villain. You know, like Scaramouche from Samurai Jack :c00l:

I think I hit on why he grates on me: he's like the worst parts of Shadow the Hedgehog mixed with the worst parts of Anakin from Star Wars. Just a way too tryhardy edgelord who's fronting way too hard to desperately hide (in vain) just how childish and insecure he really is.

Mature people don't need to constantly put others or their interests down to try and fluff up others' opinions of them. Think of the Big Lebowski: The Dude is cool because The Dude Abides, while Walter just comes off as pathetic and annoying.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Pretty annoyed I can't just force Scaramouche to keep his name. I'm still going to deadname him in my head though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

referring to it as deadnaming is kinda weird bro

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Sanctum posted:

I so wanted to play this game on a controller and spent quite a while getting it to work. Still had this persistent controller problem with quick menu where I had to simultaneously release the quick menu button and the stick or the menu wouldn't select anything. I couldn't just hold the quick menu button, select the map, and release the button to open the map. So I gave up with the controller and have been using kb+m. Controller is way more comfortable; it's good to sit wherever and play.

I'm pretty sure that actually goes off when you release the stick, not the button. That's how it works on ps, anyway; I haven't actually used controller on pc in ages, but I'm pretty sure it works identically. I don't like it is mostly because of little things like how L1+〇 uses your gadget, but you can't hold L1 and press 〇 repeatedly to say, keep eating (this is, I assume, why the sprint button is used to continue connecting with the sumeru/inazuma ziplines, rather than forcing you to press L1+□ over and over) . Not a fan of the way the d-pad maps to 1243 (clockwise), or the inconsistant way you can sometimes use the dpad to select options in a menu, but sometimes it's r3, and you have to use the stick for the system menu, period. Somehow, a lot of the mapping feels like an afterthought, even for stuff that has been in-game from the start.

Also, having to dick around in the menu to switch between controller and mouse sucks.

e. Also going off the order in the menu, it looks like it won't be maid o'clock until the last stage. Tragic.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I named him "Wanderer" :geno:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

YaoYao sounds absolutely adorable. Probably really underpowered, like Sayu, but still so adorable.

Sayu's pretty decent; I built her up a while back and have enjoyed using her. If nothing else, she's pretty useful as an Anemo healer for people who don't have Jean (I have Jean, but still use Sayu just so I can have a "collecting fairies" team without having to manually switch someone for Sayu each time).

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Playing TCG makes me wish that overload did a useful thing, instead of a stupid thing. And also that superconduct was a real reaction. Crystalize is still worthless lol

Something like:

Overload: clumps together enemies hit by the blast, pulling some of them forward (flavored as strong magnetism?). TCG did a good job with this one IMO

Superconduct: literally just electro-charge, same damage, dual auras and everything. Another TCG slam dunk.

Crystalize: ok this ones a toughie. How about making it like quicken? Applying geo on an enemy with an (element) aura creates a "crystal (element)" aura, which reacts like (element), except that:
-Hitting it with geo gives an aggravate-type boost and poops out crystals
-Hitting it with (element) stores an additional (element) aura underneath (quicken works like this btw). Useful for stabilizing reactions?
-Hitting it with a physical triggers Shatter, which lowers physical defense. TCG actually does "shatter" kinda like a phys amp, got the idea from there. And since geo shatters too, might as well give them something similar, right?

So now instead of being forced into elecro + cryo, physical teams can be Pyro/Cryo/Hydro/Electro + Geo, and also Hydro + Cryo! And their sub-dps units can make use of real elemental reactions. And full geo teams have a new role: taking down enemies with innate auras more efficiently with crystalize's power boost!

...I'm so bored with non-dendro elements :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that sounds way too complicated

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Gonna reach out a metaphorical guiding hand to you 2 wayward souls. The reason Scara is an annoying little vratty poo poo, is the same reason Raiden wears thigh highs but no pants.

Meditate on this, and you shall find your answer.

Endorph posted:

that sounds way too complicated

The first line is just what geo does now, but with an arbitrary power boost. The third line is just how freeze works right now, but with an arbitrary power boost (to physical)

The second line is catnip for sickos like me that unironically enjoy balancing GU application in dendro/hydro/electro teams to shift damage focus to specific on-field/off-field reactors/triggers. It's intentionally complicated, should never be (and would never be) implemented, and I make no excuse for it :colbert:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 10, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoonCrab posted:

Gonna reach out a metaphorical guiding hand to you 2 wayward souls. The reason Scara is an annoying little vratty poo poo, is the same reason Raiden wears thigh highs but no pants.

Meditate on this, and you shall find your answer.
to appeal to the game's primary audience, women

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
is there no way to turn off the dice rolling animation? they gotta make the accounting go faster if they want to retain on the TCG. let me press the drat buttons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how most ui elements start pre-selected which ostensibly is to make the gmae go faster but what happens is when i want to switch active character i spend five clicks fumbling until i figure out what the game wants me to click on

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Endorph posted:

to appeal to the game's primary audience, women

Do not help them!!!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
hakamas and kimonos and poo poo own, PLEASE give raiden and yae some sickass traditional japanese pants

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Give Raiden one of those padded kendo outfits

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

hakamas and kimonos and poo poo own, PLEASE give raiden and yae some sickass traditional japanese pants

heizou's about halfway there.

Speaking of which, the new domain really does feel better with a mage. I swapped jean for my l.70 talent lv. 1 heizou (with yelan, raiden, and kazuha) and it felt better. Almost definitely took longer, and not having a healer and leaving a mage on-field is a bit dodgy, but it was fun. Can't wait until I stop being lazy and can level his poo poo up, I already spent an unreasonable amount of time and bad artifacts trying to get the game to give me a vv attack sands. And then I leveled that poo poo up and got a lot of def and a total of 23 em, but whatever. It's fine, I'm sure.

I'd be tempted to give him the shiny new anemo set (assuming I get anything good), but I feel like using charged attacks with him is doing it wrong, compared to just hitting things for swirls and then being annoyed that his skill is still on cd.

RareAcumen posted:

Give Raiden one of those padded kendo outfits

Give kokomi a less fishy option first, please.

C'mon, her thing is walking on top of water for a uselessly short time, she's like a negative fish. No matter how often she talks about going diving or whatever.

Why is she even a fish, her whole state-relgion is about a snake.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hoping, in vain, to see Ayakas outfit with hakama.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I think that the Wanderer had a really cool moment in the archon interlude quest.

Setting aside the specifics of his past, the idea of someone embracing nihilism when they lose faith in humanity is still very relevant today. He deliberately embraced an identity as an abrasive goblin-boy because he didn't want to risk emotional vulnerability again. Whether it's picking at sore subjects as soon as he discerns them or insisting on treating all relationships as ledgers of transactions that can balance back to zero, the Wanderer consistently tries to avoid developing intimate relationships with others.

The glimpse at the past gives him reason to re-examine things. That's where you get the line about ants. Scaramouche enjoys giving other people grief, but he suddenly decides that there's worth in not starting beefs with others if they don't start it. Even if he'd enjoy the conflict.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Thinking about how the fake crystalize that only exists in my head would enable a stable overload dps by keeping 2 stacks of the reactant...

Zhongli would be very cool, able to stack 2 hydro gauges for Hu Tao to vape, able to stack 2 pyro gauges for Ganyu to melt...

Could a unit like Albedo stack enough cryo to enable easy forward melts? What about with Zhongli? Wait wait, what about Zhongli + GMC's heavy geo application using microwave!? I wanna test...!! But I can't :(

Guess I'll settle for burning myself to death testing double anemo teams :sigh:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There's lots of fancy dresses in game but they're all too over designed to be swishy. Give me more swishy dresses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

who the heck wears thighhighs and pants at the same time

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Underpants posted:

There's lots of fancy dresses in game but they're all too over designed to be swishy. Give me more swishy dresses.

Probably going to have to wait for Fontaine for full Disney Princess dresses.

And give Razor a dapper Beast suit.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Nyaawn posted:

who the heck wears thighhighs and pants at the same time

The pants, are allegorical.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Unless I’m missing something, that’s insane.

You are not missing anything, it is indeed insane, and will only continue to become more insane in the future.

Stay tuned to see what they do about it!

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 10, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
A very very large amount of hours in I’ve finished Enkanomiya (spelling not guaranteed).

I was staring at the screen flabbergasted when I saw the boss encounter was repeatable.

And that there are character materials locked behind fully completing Enkanomiya?! What the actual gently caress hahahaha

So you have to complete the Monstadt questline, Liyue Questline, unlock Inazuma, unlock Enkanomiya then complete the entirety of Enkanomiya.

To get access to the ability to level up some of the characters in this game.

Unless I’m missing something, that’s insane.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Inazuma was hit hard by Content Accretion Syndrome, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its something they course corrected pretty hard on with sumeru, every world boss is accessible without even touching the archon quest near as i can tell

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

its something they course corrected pretty hard on with sumeru, every world boss is accessible without even touching the archon quest near as i can tell
Yeah. I guess they figured out like everyone else did that putting character ascension mats behind 40+ hours of story quests and AR30+ or whatever wasn't really tenable as a long term thing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Endorph posted:

I had to mainline the story pretty hard just to do the pokemon event, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you can just skip right to the events now