Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol what a fuckin shithead thing to say

I have no dog in this fight, but Shesty 100% did the unnecessary glove flourish I would do playing goalie in street hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I have no dog in this fight, but Shesty 100% did the unnecessary glove flourish I would do playing goalie in street hockey.

It's okay for a goal scorer to celebrate, but not the goalie when making a cool looking save. Double standards for celebrations of course.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah pretty much every goalie does it

The only reason Georgiev doesn’t is that he can’t catch the puck

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Shesterkin definitely statues more than any other goalie in the league but it rules

e: will rule more if he Patrick Roy muffs it in the playoffs

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Skinner got 3 games for cross checking last night which is 3 games more than I really expected him to get.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow. I was only expecting one game. Yikes.

Edit: seriously, what the gently caress? That seems really excessive.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 10, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He absolutely should have got 3 games for trying to cave in someone's face with his stick like that.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/capital_gains65/status/1601663573281112064?s=46&t=HVyITfK6SBfuPsITga0HvA

How many games for this stick infraction?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Chabots play so far this season summed up in a gif

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wow. I was only expecting one game. Yikes.

Edit: seriously, what the gently caress? That seems really excessive.
I think it's deserved, but it's the NHL, so who knows?

Neither of these were even called penalties let alone suspensions.

Chara cross checking Gallager in the face.
https://youtu.be/LMEhMKS_1IQ

Niskanen crosschecking gallager in the face, knocking out a tooth and drawing blood
https://youtu.be/CrRVAQ_o54U

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He absolutely should have got 3 games for trying to cave in someone's face with his stick like that.

And it was absolutely cool for Guentzel to slash Anderson and Skinner and then punch Skinner in the back of the head while he was trying to get up from the ground, right? He got a slashing penalty (and so did Skinner) but no instigating? Retaliation? Roughing?

Per usual with NHL suspensions, people always point out similar situations that they treated different for seemingly no reason. NHL wheel of justice and all that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I didn't say anything about Guentzel, but no he didn't do anything that deserves a suspension, and you can't go backwards and give him an in game penalty (and like you said he got a penalty during all of that).

Skinner went after him and it ended with Skinner trying to cave Guentzel's face in with his stick. Its clearly a suspension.

As to the two above videos, one is with Chara on the Bruins so what like 4 years ago? The other is during the bubble. Neither is relevant to this season. (both should be suspensions).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 10, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I didn't say anything about Guentzel, but no he didn't do anything that deserves a suspension, and you can't go backwards and give him an in game penalty (and like you said he got a penalty during all of that).

Skinner went after him and it ended with Skinner trying to cave Guentzel's face in with his stick. Its clearly a suspension.

As to the two above videos, one is with Chara on the Bruins so what like 4 years ago? The other is during the bubble. Neither is relevant to this season. (both should be suspensions).

Its precedent, something this league continues to struggle greatly with.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
No, there's precedent. You're allowed to hit Gallagher in the face.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The big difference is that Skinner started it and well after the whistle with a clear intent to injure while the puck was not in play. That wasn’t some exchange of cross checks like the Gallagher/Chara one or something that was during play like the other one. They’re all cross checks, but you can see how each one is fairly different in context of what’s happening.

As to how long suspensions are? That’s voodoo and down to whether George has taken a poo poo yet that day I swear. I’d hope they have a chart for it, but why they wouldn’t share the progression with anyone doesn’t make sense to me. Make it clear to the players/coaches/fans what the suspension will be and for what reasons and no one can complain when it gets laid out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And it was absolutely cool for Guentzel to slash Anderson and Skinner and then punch Skinner in the back of the head while he was trying to get up from the ground, right? He got a slashing penalty (and so did Skinner) but no instigating? Retaliation? Roughing?

Per usual with NHL suspensions, people always point out similar situations that they treated different for seemingly no reason. NHL wheel of justice and all that.

A gloved punch to a helmeted head, I've never seen such violence in the NHL.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

all the times the nhl got it wrong doesn't mean you should get mad at them for getting it right this time, even if it is your team's guy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jhet posted:

The big difference is that Skinner started it and well after the whistle with a clear intent to injure while the puck was not in play. That wasn’t some exchange of cross checks like the Gallagher/Chara one or something that was during play like the other one. They’re all cross checks, but you can see how each one is fairly different in context of what’s happening.

As to how long suspensions are? That’s voodoo and down to whether George has taken a poo poo yet that day I swear. I’d hope they have a chart for it, but why they wouldn’t share the progression with anyone doesn’t make sense to me. Make it clear to the players/coaches/fans what the suspension will be and for what reasons and no one can complain when it gets laid out.

Guentzel slashed Anderson and Skinner before Skinner did anything, not sure I can agree with you that Skinner started it.

Obviously he deserved a suspension but again length doesn’t seem to follow any logical consistency. I didn’t imagine they’d give three games to a guy like Skinner, with no prior history who barely commits penalties let alone fighting or whatever.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Skinner missing three games is really going to tank the Sabres chance at the playoffs lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
DoPS just helping Buffalo in the Bedard lotto.

But lol at trying to say that a little love tap on Anderson when the whistle hadn't gone yet and a little shin tap on Skinner's pad... after Skinner had already engaged and gave a whack to Jake. Super bonus for bringing up Skinner getting punched after he tried to give Guentzel some dental work with his stick.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
What happened with Skinner anyway? He seemed to completely collapse as soon as the Sabres resigned him, but now he looks to be back in his old form. Why was he so bad for a couple years?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only swing your stick at something you intend to destroy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What happened with Skinner anyway? He seemed to completely collapse as soon as the Sabres resigned him, but now he looks to be back in his old form. Why was he so bad for a couple years?
He's had tons of concussion issues over the years

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Ralph Krueger, for whatever reason, refused to play Skinner on the top line and played him like 7 minutes a game. Don’t ask. We don’t like to talk about Ralph.

Last year, Skinner started getting good at setting up plays in addition to finishing them and tied his career high in points while breaking his personal record for assists. He’s been an insanely good playmaker this year, too. He isn’t the best at defense and doesn’t usually play very physical or fight (which was why the cross check was so surprising). Playing with Thompson, Tuch and Dahlin has elevated his offensive game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah to restate what BB said more pithily, the answers are "he stopped giving a poo poo" and "much better linemates" respectively.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Unless I missed something it wasn't Guentzel who slashed Anderson. That was Rakell, and it wasn't that hard. It was the typical slight whack after the whistle that always makes a goalie lose their mind. And none of the Sabres even mugged Rakell that hard over it.

Guentzel wasn't near the net and Skinner and him somehow got tangled up and lead to this incident. I don't even know why those two were going at it. My guess is Guentzel said something. He talks trash all the time so he mighta said something to Skinner to start that.

e: https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1601699198776508417?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Please don't die, Kris

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Unless I missed something it wasn't Guentzel who slashed Anderson. That was Rakell, and it wasn't that hard. It was the typical slight whack after the whistle that always makes a goalie lose their mind. And none of the Sabres even mugged Rakell that hard over it.

Guentzel wasn't near the net and Skinner and him somehow got tangled up and lead to this incident. I don't even know why those two were going at it. My guess is Guentzel said something. He talks trash all the time so he mighta said something to Skinner to start.

Guentzel pokes at Anderson right after he makes the save. He's on the right of the goalie. It's a play that happens 20 times a game it was nothing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im sure the Pens medical staff is fine and wouldnt actually send out one of their star players back too early after an injury.

There's always the spinny chair.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
surely if letang wanted to he could LTIR retire , its crazy to me that players keep wanting to play through this stuff.
hes got 3 cups for christsake

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

surely if letang wanted to he could LTIR retire , its crazy to me that players keep wanting to play through this stuff.
hes got 3 cups for christsake

Maybe he just likes playing hockey.

I can’t really imagine what goes through a mind with a decision like this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Maybe he just likes playing hockey.

I can’t really imagine what goes through a mind with a decision like this.

Letang loves hockey.

If there's no actual risk to playing (lol Pens doctors etc) then why not keep playing. Their doctors seem to think he's not at any greater risk to play. I uh hope he got some second opinions on that that weren't Pens affiliated doctors.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I feel bad for guys like Skinner who are good players, but have played for dogshit teams their entire career.

I hope he can sleep at night with his $72m contract as his only solace.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Way more likely Tanger plays Monday I think. Echoing the sentiment he's healthy and not risking long term well-being.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Way more likely Tanger plays Monday I think. Echoing the sentiment he's healthy and not risking long term well-being.

He's playing tonight apparently

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1601723867231555584?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Letang loves hockey.

And he hates everyone and everything else.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the only thing letang loves more than hockey is violence and the NHL allows him both so he will play until he is physically incapable

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Very happy the Panthers took their President's Trophy winning team out back and shot it so that it could hire Paul Maurice to win "playoff-style hockey" against the Tampa Bay Lightning, and that it's working so well :cheers:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

And he hates everyone and everything else.

Including himself, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1601768786432249856?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Pretty insane season Sid is having