Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

We brought RMS in to speak at my college because we all loved open-sourcefree software and (GNU/)Linux. One person asked him how we could make a living doing free software, and he said we shouldn't have families and find people to mooch off of.

I mean, this is a reasonable and honest answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We brought RMS in to speak at my college because we all loved open-sourcefree software and (GNU/)Linux. One person asked him how we could make a living doing free software, and he said we shouldn't have families and find people to mooch off of. He was constantly scratching and picking his bare feet and then manhandled the entire tray of cookies before picking one

write what you know, I guess

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Any excuse to post this thing I made the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf6gzeqCnuo

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wait, that rules

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Talorat posted:

Any excuse to post this thing I made the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf6gzeqCnuo

So true.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
The year is almost up, and the world's most exciting currency is only worth roughly 36% of what it was on January 1st.

Whaddaya mean BTC isn't a viable investment? FUD! FUD!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

Everytime I see a picture of Sam fried bank fried I have to laugh that they gave that guy so much money and he didn’t even bother with his appearance. Rememeber the social network where zuck went into a meeting with a robe? Now being slovenly is now apparently a positive signal

Edit. Maybe that poo poo doesn’t really matter but just seeing this dude. Hearing him talk.. they gave this guy billions??
For us plebes, how we dress at work, interviews, meetings, dates, events, etc., can make or break our success. For billionaires, I guess it's proven to investors that the money is there and that's what matters most, so nobody gives a poo poo how the person dresses. In a society that keeps believing the horseshit that billionaires are just boot-strapping their way to the top and have proven themselves, their value is tied to their money rather than how the present themselves, act, dress, are as people, and so on. Elon is a good example of a total idiot who gets a pass every time because of being a billionaire.

IMO, I'll forever be on team "if you're a billionaire, you might as well dress nicely and have a decent hair cut," but some goons had a problem with me saying that last time. Even if it's just jeans and a t-shirt, there are plenty of companies that have cuts and styles that will better suit different body types, and most of them are affordable even to the average joe. They don't even need to get anything handmade in Italy. However, these goony grifters always look like everything they wear is straight off the rack from Grocery Outlet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PITY BONER posted:

For us plebes, how we dress at work, interviews, meetings, dates, events, etc., can make or break our success. For billionaires, I guess it's proven to investors that the money is there and that's what matters most, so nobody gives a poo poo how the person dresses. In a society that keeps believing the horseshit that billionaires are just boot-strapping their way to the top and have proven themselves, their value is tied to their money rather than how the present themselves, act, dress, are as people, and so on. Elon is a good example of a total idiot who gets a pass every time because of being a billionaire.

IMO, I'll forever be on team "if you're a billionaire, you might as well dress nicely and have a decent hair cut," but some goons had a problem with me saying that last time. Even if it's just jeans and a t-shirt, there are plenty of companies that have cuts and styles that will better suit different body types, and most of them are affordable even to the average joe. They don't even need to get anything handmade in Italy. However, these goony grifters always look like everything they wear is straight off the rack from Grocery Outlet.

They're trying to countersignal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

Literally though you can't actually just sit in jail until that poo poo gets figured out, legally speaking, and letting it happen to absolutely ANYONE is a bad precedent to set. Our legal system is entirely built on precedents, so "we knew this one dude was guilty as hell so we put him in gitmo until we had a sufficient body of evidence to prove it" starts with using it on SBF and ends with using it on some person who made a big use of investor funds right before Bernie Madoff got caught because they're an idiot. Or a person who walked past a crack house one time.

Oh you sweet summer child

Crisis At Rikers: How Case Delays Are Locking Up More and More People For Years Without Trial

Three Years on Rikers Without Trial

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 9, 2022

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/09/bankman-fried-funded-crypto-news-site-block
lol
comma
lmao

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

And those are bad things that we shouldn't do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thanks to this post I have become a Communist, however as the articles were not quoted I have become the wrong kind of Communist

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ryde posted:

And those are bad things that we shouldn't do.

Well yes obviously.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
About laws and bankman.

I had a cousin who was on a board for a charity. One day she s on the phone with a chase customer representative reviewing her accounts and they decide she has too many account and merges a few.

Turns out the chase dude didnt understand that one of those account belonged the charity so turns out she just closed it out and made it her account. The issue was discovered and corrected.

She would never be charged with stealing because the bar for criminal behavior is set really loving high for good reason. you have to show that SBF did it on purpose. I would say having self deleting messages is proof enough.

Also he gave to both sides coozed up to regulators and is now doing the apology tour explaining his mistake....

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Ups_rail posted:

She would never be charged with stealing because the bar for criminal behavior is set really loving high for good reason.
Why would she be charged with stealing for what sounds like a bank error?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I would imagine because someone could hypothetically steal while claiming its a "bank error", thus a rule/law/guidance was put forth to catch said behavior.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

NoDamage posted:

All of the charity's money went to her personal account without being approved by xyz. Therefore in the court of codeislaw, she would be found guilty and her current account would be branded with the dreaded SCAMMER TAG

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It was just resting in my account!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

NoDamage posted:

I think because it sounds like she agreed to the merge of accounts, both parties not understanding what was happening

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sentient Data posted:

All of the charity's money went to her personal account without being approved by xyz. Therefore in the court of codeislaw, she would be found guilty and her current account would be branded with the dreaded SCAMMER TAG

Actually in the court of codeislaw the money belongs to her and it would be unethical for the charity to want it back

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My smart contract merging-the-account-not-illegal is raising a lot of questions already answered by my smart contract.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

About laws and bankman.

I had a cousin who was on a board for a charity. One day she s on the phone with a chase customer representative reviewing her accounts and they decide she has too many account and merges a few.

Turns out the chase dude didnt understand that one of those account belonged the charity so turns out she just closed it out and made it her account. The issue was discovered and corrected.

She would never be charged with stealing because the bar for criminal behavior is set really loving high for good reason. you have to show that SBF did it on purpose. I would say having self deleting messages is proof enough.

Also he gave to both sides coozed up to regulators and is now doing the apology tour explaining his mistake....

Well it's not a binary choice between throwing your cousin in jail for a bank teller's mistake and not prosecuting any millionaires for fraud unless they look into the camera and say "yes I did it I did the crimes", and imo the laws are skewed a bit too far toward making it too hard to convict white collar crime (for example, the only guy who went to jail for all the financial fraud banks were doing ahead of the 2008 collapse was a single middle manager who wrote an email to his girlfriend bragging about knowingly selling toxic securities, which is absolutely ludicrous)

Although in SBF's case I don't think any of that will even matter because he has dangerously high levels of main character syndrome and keeps admitting to crimes in interviews despite his lawyers' pleas to shut the hell up.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 10, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think what popehat misses is that people aren't asking "why is this guy not in jail" in isolation, they're asking why this guy is not in jail in the context of a system which does this:

The answer to "Why wasn't the Y'all Queda compound riddled with bullets on day 1" isn't "because killing people is wrong".

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

We brought RMS in to speak at my college because we all loved open-sourcefree software and (GNU/)Linux. One person asked him how we could make a living doing free software, and he said we shouldn't have families and find people to mooch off of. He was constantly scratching and picking his bare feet and then manhandled the entire tray of cookies before picking one

I want to reiterate this take. I saw RMS speak at my school and frankly what was most impressive is how comfortable he felt stopping in the middle of the talk to pick something out of his teeth.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Splicer posted:

I think what popehat misses is that people aren't asking "why is this guy not in jail" in isolation, they're asking why this guy is not in jail in the context of a system which does this:

The answer to "Why wasn't the Y'all Queda compound riddled with bullets on day 1" isn't "because killing people is wrong".
Because the answer is that the system is thoroughly unfair but breaking the rights defendants have doesn't correct those injustices, it only makes it easier to keep people locked up indefinitely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1494291921170219008?s=20&t=tNUpH2vrm71O5I3RKtPG-w

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmao who is surprised

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I feel fairly confident in claiming every single NFT purchase that was in the news was some king of wash trade, and the only reason they were in the news was because journalists were tipped off that a big NFT sale had happened or was about to happen. Also, the person who tipped of reporters of these sales was almost always the person selling and buying the NFT, or someone connected to them. Either that or some fairly basic agreements between crypto idiots were they bought each other's NFTs for large sums to drum up price and publicity.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Okay hear me out.. what if the U.S. government paid for every household to have a btc miner installed that mined btc for the household and people didn’t manage to mess up the mining device. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 16 hours ago by Obvireal

Maybe enough for a baseline amount of income? It would be expensive but it would pay itself off eventually. Thoughts? It’d never happen but it’s intriguing.

???

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I'm the implicit idea that just by creating an entry in a database everyone can have universal basic income.

Wait actually hold on

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

These are not the means of production we meant

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

djssniper posted:

I think because it sounds like she agreed to the merge of accounts, both parties not understanding what was happening

yes, I work in a law office (not a lawyer) Its my understanding that for something to be criminal it has to meet a rather high bar vs ( an honest mistake) I SBF is doing the whole Its was an accounting error I didnt just steal people deposits, and run a ponzi, It was a crypto exchange! I hosed UP! etc

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

yes, I work in a law office (not a lawyer) Its my understanding that for something to be criminal it has to meet a rather high bar vs ( an honest mistake) I SBF is doing the whole Its was an accounting error I didnt just steal people deposits, and run a ponzi, It was a crypto exchange! I hosed UP! etc

I mean criminal negligence is a thing. Also I feel like he probably just did a whole lot of lying about how he secure he was keeping peoples money and what he was doing with it and what not, which should be pretty easy to prove was intentional, and which could lead to criminal fraud changes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

I mean criminal negligence is a thing. Also I feel like he probably just did a whole lot of lying about how he secure he was keeping peoples money and what he was doing with it and what not, which should be pretty easy to prove was intentional, and which could lead to criminal fraud changes.

while it is a thing I really doubt there are any financial crimes you can do where the intent would be satisfied by criminal negligence

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stefan Prodan posted:

while it is a thing I really doubt there are any financial crimes you can do where the intent would be satisfied by criminal negligence

member bernie madolf? he stole from rich people

drk
Jan 16, 2005
hmm, tell me more about 'i did crimes'

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Is that an overflowing bowl of broccoli behind him?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
minimalist coffee table design

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1602002513468657664?s=46&t=ZKAHiylpkkHVFFA66LspZQ

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Wow, no way, you mean to tell me the "smart contract" was coded by idiots on a platform that fundamentally cannot do what was promised???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'what the... you idiot! this is a SMRT contract! you forgot to code in the 'A'!'