Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RedPrecariat/status/1601416731163234305

euros can't help but trip over themselves in their racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Majorian posted:

Griner's history of domestic abuse doesn't enter into this, though.

yes it does though, it makes me not care if she's in jail or not. I don't care why she's in jail. Al Capone wasn't in jail for all the murders and extortion and rapes but that doesn't make me suddenly care that he was imprisoned over tax bullshit

Vomik posted:

what i mean is: an american can't just say "oh it was weed vs arms dealing" because in america many people are in prison for life sentences for weed. so now that the american and russian legal systems have both established that all 3 people are equal in villainy we're forced to approach this trade from an alternative lens and shift the rhetorical focus

this is a much better explanation tbh.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/RedPrecariat/status/1601416731163234305

euros can't help but trip over themselves in their racism

It's whataboutism to say most Americans don't know where it is either :o:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
You wanna know where Donbass is? In our hearts. How about THAT

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Seems like the electricity grid in Odes(s)a has completely collapsed, authorities are recommending that civilians evacuate the oblast completely.
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1601685832414691329

If they abandon Odessa wouldn't that make it vulnerable to a push fron the Russians

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

If they abandon Odessa wouldn't that make it vulnerable to a push fron the Russians

Troops can live out in the field without hydro, and it will be easier without an ongoing humanitarian disaster behind the lines. Not ideal, not great for morale, but not having freezing civilians to your rear frees up the logistic throughput needed to care for them.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

but where can those civilians go now? winter is here and energy prices are really putting the hurt on people would would normally be able to take them in, just grim all round ( unless your plan is just for more bloodshed)

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unless they do an amphibious landing, which I don't think they have the capability right now, it would mean pushing back across the Dnieper retake Kherson and then trough Mykolaiv to even get close to Odessa. Both options seem borderline impossible to me.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Jel Shaker posted:

but where can those civilians go now? winter is here and energy prices are really putting the hurt on people would would normally be able to take them in, just grim all round ( unless your plan is just for more bloodshed)

Hopefully the people of Europe will extend their help to include shelter instead of bombs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Odessa is going to be fine, the Turkish gennie tub is sitting right there. Kiev just can't drag their feet on making a decision now.

It might matter in the long term because your main port city being without electricity doesn't sound very helpful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That boat cannot come close to powering a major city lol they will not be fine

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Odessa will once more be Turkish

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

You wanna know where Donbass is? In our hearts. How about THAT

That's just a telegram channel https://t.me/ldonetsk

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Erdogan is gonna bring it back

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
E: nevermind, probably talking past each other at this point.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 01:18 on Dec 11, 2022

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I bet most of the people who leave Odessa will end up as internal refugees. A large fraction of them are 18-60 men who can't leave the country anyway.

This might be a big test of the pop-history theory from a few months ago that targeting infrastructure won't affect civilian morale because of the Blitz or something. I'm certain the vast majority of Ukrainians will blame Russia for the direct impacts of the missile campaign, but by the same token many will likely blame Ukrainian government "incompetence," "corruption," "unpreparedness" etc. for the extremely severe indirect consequences. Whether that anger can be directed towards political goals, and what those goals would be, is another question completely.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sum posted:

This might be a big test of the pop-history theory from a few months ago that targeting infrastructure won't affect civilian morale because of the Blitz or something.

the theory is that strategic bombing doesn't greatly disrupt a state's ability to make war iirc, civilian morale is just a small part of it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

tell him that the wnba is a better prison than any gulag

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

the theory is that strategic bombing doesn't greatly disrupt a state's ability to make war iirc, civilian morale is just a small part of it

Well that’s ridiculous. Germany barely had a functioning rail system as early as January 1945. Italy and Germany might have pushed the Americans into the sea had the infrastructure campaign leading up to Salerno not been so effective (and bombed Pompeii in the process, incidentally)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure you're the one who posted about the theory in the first place

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Strategically bombing dresdens nails. Oh you said rails. My bad.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

yes it does though, it makes me not care if she's in jail or not. I don't care why she's in jail. Al Capone wasn't in jail for all the murders and extortion and rapes but that doesn't make me suddenly care that he was imprisoned over tax bullshit

It's the same thing with Assange. He's a rapist, so it's justice that he's in a blacksite getting waterboarded.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Look we have to take those little wins with those little losses

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Critical support for all the rapists accelerating the decline of US empire.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

Critical support for all the rapists accelerating the decline of US empire.

lets go brandon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1600952087701258241?t=9R0N9sfEcAP56cWlOQz6lg&s=19

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1600954420031791106?t=KrRnivUzQ8IRQZtBupSiiw&s=19

https://twitter.com/veinyworm/status/1601609644253753344?t=577PCJYZJbgnw9r59Buo1w&s=19

sum
Nov 15, 2010

indigi posted:

The main Western narrative at the beginning of the missile campaign was that the strikes were 1. primarily revenge attacks against civilians with little military effect and 2. they would "backfire" by hardening Ukraine's resolve, citing Britain's experience in WW2.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

I'm pretty sure you're the one who posted about the theory in the first place

It doesn’t make people give in or the state surrender, it severely effects their ability to wage war.

The problem is in the 30’s and then again after Desert Storm, cultivating with Allied Force, Airpower advocates keep suggesting that bombing alone can win wars. This was also a thing after WW2 in the states with SAC.

Then there was the thought, Coercive Diplomacy, that bombing could bring a diplomatic resolution to a war, Linebacker I and II, Rolling Thunder to an extent.

It’s not that bombing doesn’t matter, it matters a lot, it’s just that it will not win a war. I would almost compare it to the Armoured branch insisting since 1917 that AFVs alone can take and hold ground. Yes, modern MBTs are impressive, but they can’t actually control terrain without the PBI.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Dec 11, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dixon Chisholm posted:

It's the same thing with Assange. He's a rapist, so it's justice that he's in a blacksite getting waterboarded.

I didn’t say it was justice, I said I don't care

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

My most pro-Ukraine buddy sent me a frankly appalling text that has me questioning our friendship more than any aspect of the war so far

Was it "actually I don't like the harry potter movies very much"?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Or the Airmobility concept, with the Air Cavalry being an example too.

Basically bombing as something that helps win a war, legit, proven track record. Bombing as something that singularly wins, no chance.

A state and society can withstand bombing as long as its not part of larger military defeats that the damage from bombing makes harder and harder to recover from. If the Allies never landed on the continent, bombing Germany would not have helped to the extent that it did.

For example, German AFV strength was affected by shortages at the factories, delays in repairs, trainloads of AFVs delayed because of bombing the rails, but without those AFVs being damaged and destroyed in combat, well they could sit it out and maintain strength. Bombing made the recovery harder, it didn’t take panzer divisions out of the field on its own.

I realize the analogy doesn’t work because the Soviets were in the war, but the point is that crippling Germany’s industry and lines of communication was happening to their interior lines, it was the pressure on the exterior lines that made it damaging.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

Always sucks when you turn over a friendly rock and find a massive venomous centipede.

A day does not go by that I don't feel genuinely thankful that my best friend from elementary school ended up being a good person as an adult. It's basically a complete roll of the dice whether the people you're close with as children/teens end up as good adults. One nice thing about his wedding ceremony was getting to honestly say that in the best man speech, since it's not the kind of thing there are great opportunities to randomly bring up.

I have some other friends/acquaintances (fortunately more the latter) where I deliberately avoid "turning over that rock," as you put it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine managed to strike critical infrastructure deep within Russia multiple times over the past year.

The most significant impact it had is possibly forcing the retreat from Kherson after the Kerch bridge bombing.

On the other hand it didn't seem to do anything to the course of the war yet.

Anyway, I don't expect any breaks or twists with the way this war is going.

So far Bakhmut seems to be the only thing both sides are focused on right now, and I'm not sure why Ukraine is fighting so desperately for it.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

I didn’t say it was justice, I said I don't care

Dixon Chisholm posted:

It's the same thing with Assange. He's a rapist, so I don't care that he's in a blacksite getting waterboarded.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Ukraine managed to strike critical infrastructure deep within Russia multiple times over the past year.

The most significant impact it had is possibly forcing the retreat from Kherson after the Kerch bridge bombing.

On the other hand it didn't seem to do anything to the course of the war yet.

Anyway, I don't expect any breaks or twists with the way this war is going.

So far Bakhmut seems to be the only thing both sides are focused on right now, and I'm not sure why Ukraine is fighting so desperately for it.

Kharkov and Kherson proved to the Ukrainian public they were on the offensive, retreating from Bakmut would undercut that narrative (and probably force a partial pullback across the front). Push comes to shove they will force conscription of less and less trained cannon fodder to sit in a muddy trench.

Strategic bombing won’t win the war on its own, but the real test is going to be the rail system and bringing down its efficiency. That said, I would assume what the Russians are now doing is systematic and the aim to bring economy down before focusing of specifically rail transport (it is going to be more difficult to keep it in full operation if the entire country is in chaos).

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Lostconfused posted:

If Bakhmut collapses, then the entire Donetsk front, which has existed since 2014, is in danger of collapsing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A prolonged battle of attrition where Ukraine is forced to feed men into Russian fires, with no flank to turn or other way to make use of Russia being thin on the ground, is what they spent this summer trying to avoid so it would be pretty silly to go from those successes (guys riding around in pickups) to Verdun.

It’s exactly the kind of battle Ukraine would be better off avoiding so if Russia has picked a location where they have to send conscripts into shellfire, it’s back to the arithmetic of April-May, which was not looking good for Ukraine.

Half of the benefit of bombing the power and rail infrastructure is so 100k Ukrainians don’t show up somewhere held by border guards and cops when things get too hot for them here.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Dec 11, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/GerardDalbon/status/1601314529790418947?cxt=HHwWhoCjnZXFgbksAAAA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Was there ever a point (in recent history) where the anti war movement was "strong" in the US? I was young when the Iraq/Afghanistan wars started so I don't remember much. There were a lot of marches and stuff but they never seemed to result in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Was there ever a point (in recent history) where the anti war movement was "strong" in the US? I was young when the Iraq/Afghanistan wars started so I don't remember much. There were a lot of marches and stuff but they never seemed to result in anything.

All the recent wars in memory have been wars boomers have approved of so…