Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Its not exactly a hot take to suggest that higher education generally requires privilege and money....they just aren't the only requirements.

Edit: I don't think this argument is going to go anywhere else interesting folks. People hate him and want to feel superior to him so they call him "stupid", that's cool go ahead I just think a better label is "rear end in a top hat" or "potential sociopath" but I don't have the psych expertise for the latter

he slept through his mba. he paid better students to write his papers for him. he wiped his rear end on his accounting exam and they gave him 100% any way. how many more hyperbolic ways do we have to say we dislike kevin o'leary and think mbas aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
Something tells me you don't have an MBA haha

They can be worth a lot of you are in the right career. I have seen salaries double because of those three letters

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Something tells me you don't have an MBA haha

They can be worth a lot of you are in the right career. I have seen salaries double because of those three letters

lots of things are worth a lot and are completely fuckin useless to humans, our lives, and society. mbas are one of those things. eat the rich.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

lots of things are worth a lot and are completely fuckin useless to humans, our lives, and society. mbas are one of those things. eat the rich.

So now they are worth something. A minute ago they weren't, right? Just trying to keep up here

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ok Kevin. Spending $10 to buy a forum account for you to engage in your humiliation fetish probably is a better use of your money than investing in FTX

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think it is entirely possible that O'Leary may have had to demonstrate a passing amount of intelligence to get his MBA. I feel it is also entirely possible that, coming from a wealthy family, golden hands may have pushed him through.

I mean, we just had that whole blow up with the kids of celebrities going to USC and the kids openly admitting that they didn't have to do a drat thing to graduate with a degree, thanks to the exchange of money from their parents

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
Hahah yup it's me kev. I can barely remember to breathe and think Rand McNally is a country

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

MBAs only have value because a large portion of the people that hold power and wealth in our society have MBAs. They want their super special letters to mean something, so they put value in them. However, having an MBA does not equate to having meaningful knowledge or producing meaningful value to society. Therefore, the people that deride and criticize the people that hold vast quantities of wealth do not generally value MBAs as having any sort of meaningful value because that degree holds little intrinsic or extrinsic value. The MBA is also not indicative of being able to successfully run a business, given the track record of countless MBAs who are wealthy failsons that tank drat near every company they have ever taken over.

I hope this clarifies things when there might be a contradiction of when societally something 'holds value' versus the worth of something in an individual or group's eyes. See also: art degrees, but in the inverse.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

MBAs are indoctrination certificates to say you have been instilled with class consciousness that only favours the upper class regardless of what class you belong to

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

berenzen posted:

MBAs only have value because a large portion of the people that hold power and wealth in our society have MBAs. They want their super special letters to mean something, so they put value in them. However, having an MBA does not equate to having meaningful knowledge or producing meaningful value to society. Therefore, the people that deride and criticize the people that hold vast quantities of wealth do not generally value MBAs as having any sort of meaningful value because that degree holds little intrinsic or extrinsic value. The MBA is also not indicative of being able to successfully run a business, given the track record of countless MBAs who are wealthy failsons that tank drat near every company they have ever taken over.

I hope this clarifies things when there might be a contradiction of when societally something 'holds value' versus the worth of something in an individual or group's eyes. See also: art degrees, but in the inverse.

This is a cool and good post, I agree. Well put

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Okay, now that the value of an MBA has been established, let's get back to defending Mr. Wonderful.

Is he a business genius, or merely significantly above average?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

An mba is a lot like a boating license, and the man is a killer at the tiller.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He just pissed away $15M and still has probably 10,000x my net worth so I can't feel that smug about making CHA my dump stat.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
I don't think he's a genius at all, I just don't think he's an idiot.

I think a lot of dangerous and capable assholes have risen to power because (at least in part) people have written them off as stupid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Glimpse posted:

An mba is a lot like a boating license, and the man is a killer at the tiller.

Let he who has not committed vehicular manslaughter with a boat and then blamed his wife throw the first stone.

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I think a lot of dangerous and capable assholes have risen to power because (at least in part) people have written them off as stupid.

Okay, sure, so he's a man of at least average intelligence with a 30 year history of making very bad decisions, often with other people's money. We wouldn't want to go down the path of casual ableism and start calling him stupid though, because he is not in a literal clinical sense stupid.

We're reasonably sure he can tie his own shoes, unlike, say, Sam Bankman-Fried

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 11, 2022

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Graduate level sociology and business are pretty different things. An MBA is pretty close to a professional degree. Believe it or not, you can't sleep through an MBA.

If you guys want to call him stupid because you hate him, that's cool I get it. He's not, though

If you ever heard him speak you'd think he was stupid.

Unless you are stupider than he is.

e: also I switched from an MBA to a BSC and yeah getting either doesn't loving make you smart.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

receipts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4XlPxvi9F4

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

If you ever heard him speak you'd think he was stupid.

Unless you are stupider than he is.

e: also I switched from an MBA to a BSC and yeah getting either doesn't loving make you smart.

I'm sure it doesn't bother you at all that he finished his MBA and you didn't.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Why would it? Any idiot can finish an MBA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I'm sure it doesn't bother you at all that he finished his MBA and you didn't.

You really don't have to keep defending the honour of the MBA with these weird flexes.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

Why would it? Any idiot can finish an MBA.

Almost any idiot, it would seem.

Alright gnight folks you've been a gas

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The only smart thing you’ve posted

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The virgin MBA vs the chad arts and sciences.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, but MBAs make more money on average, and according to Worthington's law this makes them better people.

You can't argue with science, and this is why Kevin O'Leary is actually a dangerous mind, not to be underestimated.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On literally any other subject, there was a pretty good segment on MAiD for mental illness reasons on the Agenda last week, which is set to begin in March of 2023. Unfortunately, the guests kind of talked past each other and at times seemed to cherrypick anecdata without addressing counterarguments. Some of the points made included:

- one guy argued that this is long overdue, since there never was any legal justification for treating MAiD for mental illness any differently.
- another argued that there is no such thing as irreversible mental illness, so mental illnesses can't be "irremediable medical conditions" (a requirement for MAiD). That, uh, seems to be a very definitive statement and well into catch-22 territory.
- there was a long argument about one specific case who suffers from nightmares so terrifying that he struggles to function normally and is seeking MAiD after having tried every available treatment to no success. I can't really argue with that.
- the main issue is that the Liberals promised guidelines specifically for mental illness but haven't provided them yet, stating that they're coming soon and implying that they'll be easy peasy. That does seem like a very Lib thing to (not) do.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

eXXon posted:

- the main issue is that the Liberals promised guidelines specifically for mental illness but haven't provided them yet, stating that they're coming soon and implying that they'll be easy peasy. That does seem like a very Lib thing to (not) do.

Notwithstanding my political leanings, Liberals are just catastrophically bad at governing, and there's no way they don't gently caress this up.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

MBAs are the reason we have super lean supply chains, sociopathic labour practices and a terrible aversion to any kind of CAPEX that would have made companies more successful. It’s all about loving with numbers and squeezing whatever value you can out of your business while adding as little back to it as possible.
I despise MBAs. They are crooks and thieves and only get paid so much because of the rent they extract from hard working people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

MBAs are the reason we have super lean supply chains, sociopathic labour practices and a terrible aversion to any kind of CAPEX that would have made companies more successful. It’s all about loving with numbers and squeezing whatever value you can out of your business while adding as little back to it as possible.
I despise MBAs. They are crooks and thieves and only get paid so much because of the rent they extract from hard working people.

Do people with MBA’s have reflections?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Do people with MBA’s have reflections?

Judging by Whiskey_Dick’s posting, no, and they really need some.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Imagine getting probed for defending Canada’s most prominent business pervert.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Whiskey_Dick posted:

As if being stupid is a detriment to getting power. It may even help. Humans are suckers for unwavering confidence.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Imagine getting probed for defending Canada’s most prominent business pervert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cChXgSZrwbw

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

NZAmoeba posted:

As if being stupid is a detriment to getting power. It may even help. Humans are suckers for unwavering confidence.

Yeah it’s this. A stupid person is unaware of their limitations and thus believes themselves to be better than they really are. Confidence no matter how unjustified is intoxicating and lots of different people are drawn to it or otherwise fall for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Kevin O’Leary: certainly dumb, yet inexplicably so much smarter than Danielle Smith. She’s recently come up with an ironclad justification for the sovereignty act; read on, folks, it’s worth it!

https://twitter.com/carrietait/status/1601748829594062849?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Good point Danielle, that's an excellent reason to leave confederation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

It’s like The Dude getting caught up in a kidnapping plot because someone pissed on his rug, and yet, orders of magnitude dumber.

If she were any dumber she’d have to be watered.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

A fossil fuels person, willing to kill to promote fossil fuels, somehow also on the side of single use plastics?

Surely. Not connected.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Alberta Sovereignty: The Final Straw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

Alberta Sovereignty: The Final Straw

This should be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
To be fair, paper straws are bullshit.