Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the deck looks fun, i was just laughing at her commander power. "pick a sucker and beat them down no matter what"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've got a buddy that wants to try to deal as much damage as possible from a creature/creatures connecting. We were thinking of goofy rear end poo poo like Hydra Omnivore, some way to give it double-strike, and maybe some of those damage multipliers like Furnace of Rath. I thought Saskia might be a good Commander for such a deck.

There's quite a few effects that double power, so like devilish valet, exponential growth, Targ Nar, Unnatural Growth, Two Handed Axe.

So using something like Orfeo, the boulder as your commander and then leaning into those effects, Orfeo does it each attack so you could actually potentially win the game with your shenanigans by getting a creature really big with trample and then just running over your opponents.

Green will also give you indestructible and hexproof to defend your beater, and ramp. You can use things like Jolene and the dragons that give you mana when you attack to pay for your endless doublings and extra attacks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

F that, run Balmor and every good Kiln Fiend and Prowess creature, plus a bunch of trumpet blasts

Serf
May 5, 2011

We had our first cEDH tournament today. I don't think it was sold very well because of the 6 players we had only 3 of us had actual cEDH decks. One dude was literally playing a fresh out of the box Tyranids precon. But we worked with what we had and did two pods of 3 to start with. I played Prosper while my opponents were on Tergrid and Derevi (this was actually my deck but the guy didn't have a cEDH deck so he asked to borrow mine). Tergrid proved to be very annoying, but I managed to get all the combo pieces I needed to win in the graveyard and my hand and just said let's go and cast Tainted Pact to go get Doomsday. I found it on the bottom of my library, and before I could cast it the Tergrid player cast something that prevented me from playing noncreature spells. So I lost that game but at least it was funny.

Afterwards we played again, this time I switched to Derevi and the guy who was using it (he lost that game too) switched to his non non-cEDH Ur-Dragon deck and we played against a Renfield Storm deck. In that one I expended all my resources stopping the Renfield player from Storming off and that allowed the Ur-Dragon player to win because we never focused on him. He then went to the winners' table and got absolutely blasted.

Overall the games were fun but I still don't like the gameplay. Dying to my own Tainted Pact is fine, it was hilarious to keep digging and find Doomsday on the very bottom. cEDH is a not my scene, and I probably won't play in any more tournaments. After that we played casual games that were a lot more fun. I got a win with my new Feather deck that performed just how I wanted it to.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My favorite version of Saskia is infect.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've got a buddy that wants to try to deal as much damage as possible from a creature/creatures connecting. We were thinking of goofy rear end poo poo like Hydra Omnivore, some way to give it double-strike, and maybe some of those damage multipliers like Furnace of Rath. I thought Saskia might be a good Commander for such a deck.

Have out some counter doublers like doubling season, branching evolution, kaldheim vorinclex, etc then cast body of research. Once that's out, cast some other doublers like hydras growth. Should be at least a 560/560 out the gate pretty easily.

Or you can just use vorel of the hull clade and an infinite mana trigger with staff of domination to make anything with a +1/+1 go to infinity

But for the largest finite amount of power on a creature you can't go wrong starting with body of research.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Used my gates deck again yesterday. Was about to win again but someone had been saving a land destruction spell all along and blew up my maze’s end. Then I wasn’t able to find one of the ways to get it back from the graveyard before I died.

This deck is much more fun than expected despite shuffling all the time being annoying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay last night I was super excited and built a new deck just by including three cards I know I wanted to play no matter what, a couple weird combos for them, and then stuff I think is neat and won't stop thinking about trying. It is not focused and presumably very bad, but I have 4 focused decks already and aside from my Attractions deck, nothing really Weird yet. I have some benefits-all type stuff for general monkey wrenchery, but hopefully a few ways to punish or capitalize on those benefits. Got a few ways to wager health down or just halve it. Seems like a couple ways to maybe sting folks on wheeling type effects. Same for stinging lands and such. Couple things to maybe payoff All Hallow's Eve, albeit even if my entire creature roster was in graveyard to bring on board, it's not that scary of a board in and of itself I don't think. This might be my deck with the least creatures in it so far.

I should probably have more removal and boardwipes for after a Eureka or something... but once I start thinking "i should this or that" I basically start making it more efficient and focused and cutting stuff I like. I'm at the point now where I'm tempted to cut into mana/land to make room for more toys.

Price of Glory is one I worry about, is that 2rude? Reckon a lot of my fun n games here can be shut down with a counter and that counter-counter might be nice. Mage's Contest also seems like a really fun and bad counter that suits this nonsense deck.

For a while was thinking Adun Oakenshield since it had the colours and was only 3 cmc, xira for similar reasons, but already had Yurlock of Scorch Thrash in the deck so went with him.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/YWj5EODOLEiMcUY4zh9KIw

Is this complete nonsense or could this work like I'm loosely imagining? Anything in my sideboard I should definitely swap out for something in the deck, or cards I might regret playing entirely? I have only 34 lands, but a few other cards to function as mana or ramp, so 37 or so if those count.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

Used my gates deck again yesterday. Was about to win again but someone had been saving a land destruction spell all along and blew up my maze’s end. Then I wasn’t able to find one of the ways to get it back from the graveyard before I died.

This deck is much more fun than expected despite shuffling all the time being annoying.

oh maze's end seems fun, a gate victory wincon. With Thespian's sage, could you copy this? Would you be able to do the search and return it to hand presumably it becomes Thespian's stage again (you lose stickers when stuff goes to hand so assume copy powers do too). Or would you lose the thespian's stage entirely since it's become a copy of something is now maybe a token of itself?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Khanstant posted:

oh maze's end seems fun, a gate victory wincon. With Thespian's sage, could you copy this? Would you be able to do the search and return it to hand presumably it becomes Thespian's stage again (you lose stickers when stuff goes to hand so assume copy powers do too). Or would you lose the thespian's stage entirely since it's become a copy of something is now maybe a token of itself?

Oh that could be a good way to have a backup of mazes end, I’ll do some research but I think the ability that makes you win the game would be on the stack so it wouldn’t matter that thespians stage reverted to normal and is in your hand. Returning it to hand is part of the cost for the ability so it would for sure revert to thespians stage in hand.

There are 17 or so different gates now compared to like 11 even a year ago and Baldur’s Gate let’s you generate a ton of mana so it’s much more viable now. I do play with a group that allows me to use Golos as a commander and he helps a lot so it would be less viable if your group follows the banlist strictly.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 11, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Oh that could be a good way to have a backup of mazes end, I’ll do some research but I think the ability that makes you win the game would be on the stack so it wouldn’t matter that thespians stage reverted to normal and is in your hand. Returning it to hand is part of the cost for the ability so it would for sure revert to thespians stage in hand.

There are 17 or so different gates now compared to like 11 even a year ago and Baldur’s Gate let’s you generate a ton of mana so it’s much more viable now. I do play with a group that allows me to use Golos as a commander and he helps a lot so it would be less viable if your group follows the banlist strictly.

Vesuva will copy it also. There’s enough gates now a 3-color commander can make a “legal” gate deck to win via mazes end. I’ve written a couple of articles about gate decks.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Just ordered a full Tatsunari deck, as well as about 50 staples, from MPC. I'm super excited to get them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The nice thing is that even without Golos, there are also quite a few ways to fetch non-basics out of your deck in Green. You can use Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying, Hour of Promise, Nissa's Renewal (this one needs you to control a Nissa), Nylea's Intervention, Scapeshift, Tempt with Discovery, Titania's Command, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Realms Uncharted, and Expedition Map.

It's probably pretty easy to get Maze's End out and going consistently.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Vesuva will copy it also. There’s enough gates now a 3-color commander can make a “legal” gate deck to win via mazes end. I’ve written a couple of articles about gate decks.

Yeah I read the one you linked here with Nine-Fingers Keene and it looks pretty good. I might build that one to try it out now that I know that the constant shuffling is not as annoying as expected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You would want both Thespian's Stage and Vesuva, because if you only have one then if your Maze's End is destroyed you can't activate your copy until you already have the win secured. With both you can just use one to repeatedly copy the other.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You would want both Thespian's Stage and Vesuva, because if you only have one then if your Maze's End is destroyed you can't activate your copy until you already have the win secured. With both you can just use one to repeatedly copy the other.

There's a lot of ways to play lands from graveyards now, i think like 4, and you're probably better off relying on that than some kind of double copying thing. Occasionally people pack land and graveyard hate, or just general permanent destruction, but if your maze's end gets both destroyed and exiled then you maybe just don't win that one.

Also if you're going hard on extra land drops, which is probably the best way to make a gate deck win, it gives you an alternative of just using strip mine to absolutely wreck everyone's day. I had one game with my old golos deck where someone blew up maze's end and I had the ability to make 3 land drops or 4 per turn, so I destroyed everyone's lands and beat them to death with a robot pilgrim.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, I meant it's either both or none. A single one doesn't get you much at all because Maze's End requires differently named gates to trigger.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Simone Poodoin posted:

I know that feeling. I had a Kenrith gates deck but I turned it into this fun 5C Turbo Fog pile. You can just win out of nowhere and play defense and let the other players beat the poo poo out of each other and the sneak out a win. I love it.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/wlkjc-z3Y0mmcKoQd_tLKg

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have two tribal decks (horrors and zombies) that play a bit differently, but I think I want a more spell slinger-y deck... probably Izzet? Does anyone have a fun recommendation to get me going? Otherwise I guess I'll start by using Niv and tossing a ton of instants and sorceries and trying to figure out a wincon haha.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have two tribal decks (horrors and zombies) that play a bit differently, but I think I want a more spell slinger-y deck... probably Izzet? Does anyone have a fun recommendation to get me going? Otherwise I guess I'll start by using Niv and tossing a ton of instants and sorceries and trying to figure out a wincon haha.

My personal recommendations are Mizzix of the Izmagnus or Galazeth Prismari. Mizzix gives you experience counters and makes all your instants and sorceries cost less for each experience counter you have, while Galazeth turns all your artifacts into rainbow mana rocks for instants and sorceries only, and Izzet just so happens to have plenty of ways to produce artifact tokens when casting spells.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph with a deck full of cantrips that do 1, and things that trigger and do 1 when other stuff happens. Win con is "pew pew pew".

If your play group doesn't mind a silver bordered commander (could have the 99 be all non-acorn), then Alexander Clamilton seems like a fun build-around.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

serefin99 posted:

My personal recommendations are Mizzix of the Izmagnus or Galazeth Prismari. Mizzix gives you experience counters and makes all your instants and sorceries cost less for each experience counter you have, while Galazeth turns all your artifacts into rainbow mana rocks for instants and sorceries only, and Izzet just so happens to have plenty of ways to produce artifact tokens when casting spells.

Oh that's cool, I've never heard of the Mizzix one!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ChiTownEddie posted:

Aegar from kaldheim. Every one of your damaging spells that does excess damage makes you draw a card. Also there's a bit of giants and wizard tribal to it but really you're not going to let people play creatures as those get burned up into card draw. Wincons are pretty much trying to get a shitload of mana then nuke everyone with a fireball like effect, dualcaster mage + twin flame, and my favorite that I've yet to pull off is toralf and blasphemous act where the excess damage from the spell tramples over.

Do note that excess damage means each instance of it, so you can lightning bolt a 1/1 to deal excess damage and then before it dies you can shock or gutshot or any other instant spell that does damage to that creature and then draw a card for each one of them.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

As always, Pako/Haldan is the coolest spellslinger deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do note that excess damage means each instance of it, so you can lightning bolt a 1/1 to deal excess damage and then before it dies you can shock or gutshot or any other instant spell that does damage to that creature and then draw a card for each one of them.

No

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My spellslinger deck is Rowan and Will Kenrith partners. It’s more of a PW combo deck that reuses extra turn spells. But basically everything that isn’t a walker is a spell.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aegar from kaldheim. Every one of your damaging spells that does excess damage makes you draw a card. Also there's a bit of giants and wizard tribal to it but really you're not going to let people play creatures as those get burned up into card draw. Wincons are pretty much trying to get a shitload of mana then nuke everyone with a fireball like effect, dualcaster mage + twin flame, and my favorite that I've yet to pull off is toralf and blasphemous act where the excess damage from the spell tramples over.

Damage on creatures hasn't worked like that in like a decade.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Damage on creatures hasn't worked like that in like a decade.

damage on creatures has NEVER worked like that.

To be clear: you can either respond to the first spell, in which case your second spell will kill it and the first spell won't resolve at all 'cause it doesn't have a target; or you can let the first spell resolve, in which case the creature will already be dead and you won't have a target to cast the second spell. Either way, excess damage is only dealt to the creature once.

combat damage was the only kind of damage that kinda floated around on the stack way back then, and even that wouldn't let you trigger Aegar twice on the same creature, had Aegar been printed back then. Combat damage just basically worked like a spell would.

Way, WAY back in the days pre-sixth edition, you COULD respond to damage in that way, but only with damage-prevention effects like Samite Healer or Healing Salve, not with another Lightning Bolt or whatever.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Had someone queue into a casual table with their Jeleva cEDH deck last night. I was playing Rafiq and had already decided I was going to slap the taste out of their mouth the moment I saw them reveal a Demonic Consultation from some effect, but they quit as soon as they tried to Pyroblast my Rafiq without realizing I had Yavimaya Hollow up.

DontMockMySmock posted:

damage on creatures has NEVER worked like that.

To be clear: you can either respond to the first spell, in which case your second spell will kill it and the first spell won't resolve at all 'cause it doesn't have a target; or you can let the first spell resolve, in which case the creature will already be dead and you won't have a target to cast the second spell. Either way, excess damage is only dealt to the creature once.

combat damage was the only kind of damage that kinda floated around on the stack way back then, and even that wouldn't let you trigger Aegar twice on the same creature, had Aegar been printed back then. Combat damage just basically worked like a spell would.

Way, WAY back in the days pre-sixth edition, you COULD respond to damage in that way, but only with damage-prevention effects like Samite Healer or Healing Salve, not with another Lightning Bolt or whatever.

Yeah, I meant more of a "damage on creatures as something you can respond to" type of thing, like blocking an x/2 with a Mogg Fanatic and then saccing it with "damage on the stack" to trade up on toughness. But you're right, it's not exactly the same situation.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 13, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
NEVER FORGET

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ChiTownEddie posted:

Anhelo, the Painter. It fucks up the table with a combination of spellslinger and aristocrats

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh that's cool, I've never heard of the Mizzix one!

He came from the 2015 Seize Control Precon. It only has five creatures in it and the ridiculous spell Mizzix Mastery comes from it. That precon is going for around 80 for a new sealed deck these days, but Mizzix has been reprinted a few times.

The Prismari Precon may be something to look at as well, not sure what price that is at these days but I recall that Commander being fun and also looking like Prince.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jiro posted:

He came from the 2015 Seize Control Precon. It only has five creatures in it and the ridiculous spell Mizzix Mastery comes from it. That precon is going for around 80 for a new sealed deck these days, but Mizzix has been reprinted a few times.

The Prismari Precon may be something to look at as well, not sure what price that is at these days but I recall that Commander being fun and also looking like Prince.

Zaffai is fun but Veyran in the driver's seat makes that deck really hum.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Magnus the Red is another fun spellslinger, he gives Instants and Sorceries a 1 mana discount for each creature token you control and create a 3/3 token when hits a player.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Elesh Norn and a few other cards spoiled today by Wizards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The new Elesh Norn is so sick and I finally yield: I want to build a monowhite cEDH deck with her in the CZ.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You like her effect in the CZ better than Myrel?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Possibly? I haven't done any building yet but the effects seem very strong. Shuts off opponent Thoracles and Docksides too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Batterypowered7 posted:

Elesh Norn and a few other cards spoiled today by Wizards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/
Can't wait to throw Elesh Mommy into my Sythis deck and 5C Sissay.

In 5C sissay I want to win in this convoluted way.

In play:

Field of the dead
Vesuva copying field of the dead
Thespian Stage copying field of the dead

Elesh Mommy
Yarok, The Desecrated
Purhporos, God of the Forge

Make a single land drop, triggering each fotd 3x for 9x zombies. Each zombie trigges purphoros 3 times, for 27 triggers pinging all opponents for 54 damage.