Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll say it right now: I'd rather just use a raw potato for electricity and eat the battery instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I can grow more potato batteries

Side note: has anyone considered converting idaho to a giant battery?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mymla posted:

Raw potatoes aren't good, and I don't eat them, but the taste is just kinda bland, not offensive.

Honestly I can kinda see the appeal compared to boiled potatoes, the blandest carb.

It depends on the variety. Boiled floury potatoes will soak up as much butter as you can throw at them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The other thing about boiled potatoes is that they're 90% of the way to mashed potatoes, one of the highest tier potato preparation methods of all. Just grab a mixer and finish those babies off!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Mashed taters are second only to hasselback potatoes, which my nephews call hedgehog potatoes :3:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I recently bought a (hopefully) decent stick blender because my last cheap one crapped out on me, and one of the attachments it came with was a potato masher

I was incredibly sceptical but it did a great job. This bodes well for my future mashed potato consumption

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mashed potato is my least favourite form of spud. I don't mind it if there's plenty of spring onion, butter and seasoning mashed in and plenty of gravy, but the baby food texture doesn't do it for me.

Although manually mashing them smooth with a potato masher is an oddly satisfying experience.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

One of the nice ladies at the liquor store gave me a Twinkies flavored and a Girl Scout Thin Mint flavored candy cane and they scare me. I have not tasted them.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

That gagh doesn’t look fresh! P’tak!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Aside from the fact those straws are being filled with tomato soup, won't the liquid just flow out of the bottom of the straws and then eventually overflow the cup? At best, you'd have a bunch of straws completely set in jelly.

Also, how will I do this for my children now that all straws are paper?!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1600470597426761728

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My friend was late to work recently because his dog ate an entire bag of potatoes and had to be rushed to the vets

yes it was a labrador why do you ask

(she's fine)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

eating only apples posted:

My friend was late to work recently because his dog ate an entire bag of potatoes and had to be rushed to the vets

yes it was a labrador why do you ask

(she's fine)

Enter AFP incarnate, Max the badly-trained Malamute. His list of kills included (but was not limited to):

1 60 watt incandescent light bulb
1 full grown Robin (the bird) swallowed live and whole
enough ketchup packets to have ketchup packet poops
1 giant glob of wasabi
1 6 pack disposable razors
1/4oz weed

i am stopping here not because i have ran out of things to list but because it's bedtime. i really wish i remembered what thread i'm in. cya tomorrow goons! god bless

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A friend had a little stupid mutt who tried to eat just about anything.
Greatest hits:

A big thumb tack and other sharps, all had to be pried forcefully from his mouth before the could swallow.

Garbage, whenever he escaped from the leash.

A large chocolate ganache cake, son of a bitch snuck around an entire party of people like a ninja to get it.

He eventually died of something to do with his stomach if you can believe that.
I miss the dumb fool.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Desert Bus posted:

1 60 watt incandescent light bulb
1 full grown Robin (the bird) swallowed live and whole
enough ketchup packets to have ketchup packet poops
1 giant glob of wasabi
1 6 pack disposable razors
1/4oz weed

I tried making this but I couldn't find weed or whatever an oz is, so I substituted with thyme.

My guests didn't like it very much, but I think the recipe shows promise and I'll try again.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The other thing about boiled potatoes is that they're 90% of the way to mashed potatoes, one of the highest tier potato preparation methods of all. Just grab a mixer and finish those babies off!

Mash is the one form of potato I just can't eat. When I was a child I was forced to eat it when a part of dinner and I hated it so left it to last and then tried mixing it with ketchup. This made it cold and pink, which was just worse, and I think my brain refuses to consider it food now. Any other form of potato is great, however.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you make instant mash potato flakes try replacing 1/2 cup of the fluid with sour cream. Mix the sour cream and remaining fluid so it isn't lumpy. It makes the mash potatoes richer, creamer, and the sourness of the sour cream really adds something. Like the innards of a nice baked potatoes with sour cream and chives.

This might work with potatoes that haven't been processed into flakes too. Dunno, never tried it. Might be too wet?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Antigravitas posted:

I tried making this but I couldn't find weed or whatever an oz is, so I substituted with thyme.

My guests didn't like it very much, but I think the recipe shows promise and I'll try again.

I also thought this was a recipe and swallowing the bird was an odd choice but not the craziest thing in this thread

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you make instant mash potato flakes try replacing 1/2 cup of the fluid with sour cream. Mix the sour cream and remaining fluid so it isn't lumpy. It makes the mash potatoes richer, creamer, and the sourness of the sour cream really adds something. Like the innards of a nice baked potatoes with sour cream and chives.

This might work with potatoes that haven't been processed into flakes too. Dunno, never tried it. Might be too wet?

Mixing dairy into mash is almost necessary - obviously butter, but also milk, or sour cream, I've used Greek Yoghurt sometimes

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Mixing dairy into mash is almost necessary - obviously butter, but also milk, or sour cream, I've used Greek Yoghurt sometimes

Yep, sour cream's a go-to for mashed potatoes. Stays thicker than with milk and adds a nice little tang that goes with lots of other stuff (garlic, cheese, etc). I haven't tried Greek yogurt, but it sounds good and I imagine works out similarly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My sewing instructor makes Thanksgiving mashed potatoes with one of these soft cheese spread things mixed in.

She also mixed in her hand with the immersion blender because she was watching football while making them. When she got to the ER, there was another person with a similar injury for the same reason.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
immersion blenders make potatoes gluey anyways, use masher or manual ricer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That makes getting the hand in there way harder

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Think how impressive you'd be if you rolled into the ER with a self-inflicted potato masher hand mangling though, they'd be taking about that for decades

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Roughly mashed with single cultivar olive oil and with some white truffles shaved on top is still the best and most luxurious way to enjoy the humble tuber

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I likea putta cheese on :mrgw:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It bewilders me how bland childhood food was when you can add italian seasoning blend, not a raw, and actually have flavor with mashed tates.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Italian seasoning blend is kinda gross, that's my afp

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, sour cream's a go-to for mashed potatoes. Stays thicker than with milk and adds a nice little tang that goes with lots of other stuff (garlic, cheese, etc). I haven't tried Greek yogurt, but it sounds good and I imagine works out similarly.

Pain Greek yogurt or Skyr makes a really good healthy substitute for cream in a lot of recipes, I use it a lot in curries and stuff. You have to be careful not to overheat it though, or it gets weird.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can use buttermilk for that sour tang in mashed potatoes, although admittedly I have not seen buttermilk for sale in some time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

immersion blenders make potatoes gluey anyways, use masher or manual ricer

I agree with this, with one exception: immersion blenders make it much easier to make pommes aligot.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I live around here, I'm going to go to the local cemeteries to find this woman’s grave and pour salt over it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah yes, the famed Irish delicacy: canned cream of mushroom soup

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kenning posted:

I agree with this, with one exception: immersion blenders make it much easier to make pommes aligot.

I tried making these before but I just couldn't ever get it to taste proper. The cheese fucks it up no matter what I tried.

This kinda masher has always treated me properly, though, and it's easy to clean off afterwards, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like it when mashed potato leftovers sort of congeal into solid pieces in the fridge like they've returned to potato form.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My sewing instructor makes Thanksgiving mashed potatoes with one of these soft cheese spread things mixed in.

She also mixed in her hand with the immersion blender because she was watching football while making them. When she got to the ER, there was another person with a similar injury for the same reason.

Those make an excellent cheese sauce but I have never thought of making mash with them. Although I also am averse to cheesy mash in general because the stuff is like loving napalm in how well it holds heat and also sticks to things.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

PurpleXVI posted:

This kinda masher has always treated me properly, though, and it's easy to clean off afterwards, too.
This is 100% my favorite way to mash potatoes as well. We have a ricer but I prefer my mashed potatoes to have a little more body to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1599425797911064576
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1600112571092066304