Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheFreeWeb_/status/1600987701393514496?t=ajPd7kSdSLpg-ChfEFFetA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

It's a goddamn shame it didn't print like that. I've seen it happen before:

This brings back a memory from a bar in Tamarindo. Guy comes up to me and hands me a business card, which was the top flap from a pack of cigarettes. It had his name and number written on it with "local consultant " as a title.
Good hustle bud. I was fine with drink and dance, but I'm sure plenty of the other gringos would appreciate a fixer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

failed zuck clone

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to point out that I appreciated the effort that went into this post and had a chuckle reading it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not even magic spells, more like Magic: the Gathering cards, and they're the only ones who have access to the super-secret ultra-rares.

Cop: "I'm tapping two thin blue line mana to play this card called 'Fine.' Because of that, you have to pay 100 dollar points because you were Speeding."
SovCit: "Ahh, but you'll notice that the text of your card says, 'Play this card on an opponent who is Driving.' My Conveyance artifact card clearly says that the card player is Traveling. Because of that, you cannot create joinder with me in this phase."
Cop: "Dagnabit!" *Tears up ticket*

A big thing about SovCits is that they really only can exist because standard Western education makes sure you don't understand the basics of how material conditions and power dynamics actually work. See how they sullenly whine about 'If I don't pay taxes men with guns will take me away and put me in a small box'. Well yeah, that's how government works. The lack of material understanding of the world manifests in a lot of different ways across the political spectrum, but SovCits are among the funniest. It's mostly the logic of "I don't know, can you go to the bathroom?" except they use it against people who can actually administer consequences.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big thing about SovCits is that they really only can exist because standard Western education makes sure you don't understand the basics of how material conditions and power dynamics actually work. See how they sullenly whine about 'If I don't pay taxes men with guns will take me away and put me in a small box'. Well yeah, that's how government works. The lack of material understanding of the world manifests in a lot of different ways across the political spectrum, but SovCits are among the funniest. It's mostly the logic of "I don't know, can you go to the bathroom?" except they use it against people who can actually administer consequences.

This made me remember a question I've had about these guys. Are there any black sovcits? Like, in the US, I don't imagine the consequences of telling a cop" I was travelling not driving" would be the same

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serperoth posted:

This made me remember a question I've had about these guys. Are there any black sovcits? Like, in the US, I don't imagine the consequences of telling a cop" I was travelling not driving" would be the same

Absolutely, they just get arrested a lot quicker and don't post YouTube videos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serperoth posted:

Skwirl posted:

Some last long enough to, something about Moorish Law is their usual keyword. It gets weird. Also some famous people get into it like Wesley Snipes. Never underestimate human stupidity.

Am reminded that I think someone put it best; Sovereign Citizens are basically the legal version of alternative medicine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is bizzare to try to imagine the worldview underlying it that doesn't apparently have room for "the world runs on raw power relationships and the law is just a veneer over that"

I can't remember not thinking like that, it seems so evident?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Serperoth posted:

There's actually a weird blend of sovcit and black israelite my dad has been obsessed with. As you said, they can't be as bold in direct confrontation with cops, so they mostly stick to the nuisance lawsuits/leans or trying to use sovcit rhetoric to get out of debt side of things

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Are there ant sovcit "success stories"?

I.E. people who have beaten the courts with their magic "that flag has a fringe" bullshit?

Even anecdotally, surely all of these bastards get the book thrown at them eventually due to being insufferable arseholes and pissing off the judges/police/appeals courts etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BrigadierSensible posted:

There are probably videos out there of someone owning the court but I wouldn't even consider that adjacent to sovcit stuff; to me sovereign citizen types are by definition too ignorant of the rules to do anything meaningfully subversive of the legal system. All of those tropes like 'fringed flags' are demonstrably bullshit and there has been more than enough precedent established to make some :smug: sovcit using them as an argument just melt into their chair.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

It is bizzare to try to imagine the worldview underlying it that doesn't apparently have room for "the world runs on raw power relationships and the law is just a veneer over that"

I can't remember not thinking like that, it seems so evident?
But what if there are words of power like this guy I'm paying $150 to four times a year keeps insisting?

I spent money on it, it must be true.

"Several weird tricks the cops don't want you to know!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Network basically goes into why the sovcit world view doesn't work - they think the laws matter when all that matters is who has the money to do anything useful.

Here's the relevant scene, after Howard Beale exposes something that the CEO of the news organisation doesn't like because suddenly he's exposed something that hurts the upper levels financially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DSdw7dHjs

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serperoth posted:

The base sovcit stuff originated within black communities. The legal reasoning was equally spurious but the motivation was more "someone saw my second cousin smoke a cigarette that kind of looked like weed so some guy gave me a piece of paper saying the local police department owns my house now, this seems like bullshit" than the "and that's why your "driving licences" and "speed limits" and "blood alcohol levels" don't apply to me" it turned into when white people got hold of it.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I wanna dig around in his brain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is the reason I have no patience for reframing things purely in subjective terms.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Normy posted:

I wanna dig around in his brain

Watch out for worms.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Jordan Peterson recently said something about him thinking anti-semitism might possibly become a "moral imperative." Is Jordan Peterson just a Nazi? Or is he just trying to create more space for Nazis in the public discourse?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More christian dominionist I think, which has crossover with nazis.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrigadierSensible posted:

I.E. people who have beaten the courts with their magic "that flag has a fringe" bullshit?

Even anecdotally, surely all of these bastards get the book thrown at them eventually due to being insufferable arseholes and pissing off the judges/police/appeals courts etc.

There was one I remember reading about a while back, but I cant remember the details, or not enough to usefully search it out. Thing is, he beat the court due to some regular old procedural fuckup on the cops end, it was literally nothing to do with his "I do not consent to joinder, I am not driving I am travelling, this is not a car it is a horseless carriage which is under maritime law" bullshit. He was spewing that all over the court and the judge was essentially like "No, no, none of this, listen, no, not any of that, but the search the cops did sure was obviously illegal so I'm throwing the whole case out" or similar. Of course the guy took it as vindication of the sovcit bullshit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nebrilos posted:

Jordan Peterson recently said something about him thinking anti-semitism might possibly become a "moral imperative." Is Jordan Peterson just a Nazi? Or is he just trying to create more space for Nazis in the public discourse?
It's both. Kanye's created a space for nazis to shift the Overton Window by giving them someone to point at.

"Look, I'm not all-in on 'I love Hitler' like Ye, but maybe we do need to talk about The Jewish Problem, somewhat, as rational adults?"

Nick Fuentes, notable nazi, has been arguing instead that this is a great time to just go mask off about it and see how it shakes out

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Dec 11, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

I know I've seen a couple in the various sovcit fail compilations I've watched on YouTube so they do at least do that

I actively work with a sovcit who has a big tag on her car about it being a for pleasure vehicle and doesn't pay taxes because "I don't work I barter by trading my time for their money"

We had a temp who wanted to be one like her dad who "gave up his SSN and started a small business so he doesn't have to pay taxes"

Lala also believed that the government hired crisis actors though

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Nebrilos posted:

What one does is what one is.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Len posted:

I actively work with a sovcit who has a big tag on her car about it being a for pleasure vehicle and doesn't pay taxes because "I don't work I barter by trading my time for their money"

But ... you work with her?

Like at a job, employed by some company or organization? Who probably withhold taxes from her pay to send to the IRS on her behalf? Is it possible she's just not filing returns and probably is in fact owed many years of refunds lol?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Nebrilos posted:

Yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ReidRansom posted:

But ... you work with her?

Like at a job, employed by some company or organization? Who probably withhold taxes from her pay to send to the IRS on her behalf? Is it possible she's just not filing returns and probably is in fact owed many years of refunds lol?

According to the story she told me shortly after I got hired she called hr and told them to not take taxes out. The person she talked to said no and she ended up escalating to the head of hr and now doesn't have taxes taken out

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

i think his angle is that anti-semitism is bad, and when society "degenerates" the anti-semites start scapegoating the jews again, but rather than doing anything about the nazis we need to "preserve conservative values" so the nazis don't have an excuse to come back

so yes it's nazi poo poo but in a convoluted roundabout manner

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

repiv posted:

i think his angle is that anti-semitism is bad, and when society "degenerates" the anti-semites start scapegoating the jews again, but rather than doing anything about the nazis we need to "preserve conservative values" so the nazis don't have an excuse to come back

Goddamn I hate that benzo-addled Kermit-the-frog-sounding motherfucker.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

I didn't even see that claim as that but rather Peterson doing that annoying thing he always does where he takes an innocent statement like "society is in peril when stuff like anti-semitism becomes mainstream" but then words it in such a way ("When anti-semitism becomes a moral necessity, (even in its subtler forms), hell is about to make its appearance yet again") that acts as both a nazi dog whistle and is ambiguous enough so that when people call him on it he can tut tut and go "Ah but that's not what I ACTUALLY said! Checkmate, libtard!"

God, I hate that guy so much.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Dec 11, 2022

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nebrilos posted:

Do you think there is a meaningful difference between these two things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found the analysis on knowledge fight quite compelling in that the actual hardcore nazis like nick fuentes view the grifters like alex jones as targets, and will attack them if they find it convenient and think they can poach away some of the audience. So they aren't a monolithic block but as they are all invested in pushing the discourse right in their own way (with some lagging behind and mopping up money and some leading the charge) the difference only matters insofar as you can hope for some degree of infighting between them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Serperoth posted:

Yes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Peterson was basically making a “leftists are the real antisemites” argument, because his view is that the left dictates the morals of society and since anti-Zionism is a frequent left wing stance (and anti-Zionism = antisemitism to right wingers), it will become a “moral imperative” to hate Jews.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Len posted:

According to the story she told me shortly after I got hired she called hr and told them to not take taxes out. The person she talked to said no and she ended up escalating to the head of hr and now doesn't have taxes taken out

I was wondering if you could make any cash off of this but a few seconds googling tells me the IRS whistleblower laws say you have to provide them with significant written evidence and the subject of your narcing, if an individual, has to earn $200K+ a year.

I suppose that they have to make the threshold high else i might get upset when my neighbors don't take down their Christmas lights until February and I decide to drop a dime on them in retaliation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The IRS lets you unilaterally opt out of withholding? In Canada you need to get the gov’t’s explicit approval for that unless it’s a reduction related to the employer collecting retirement savings contributions pre-tax or something. Weird choice, IRS.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Serperoth posted:

Ayup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukesha_Christmas_parade_attack

quote:

n a pre-trial hearing, Brooks requested self-representation. Judge Dorow considered the request and ruled that Brooks could proceed pro se. During proceedings, Brooks used arguments from the sovereign citizen movement, a pseudolegal movement whose adherents claim that courts do not have jurisdiction over them. Brooks declared himself a "sovereign citizen", stated that he did not consent to being recognized by his name, asked if the court was "a common law court or an admiralty law court",and argued that since the state of Wisconsin was an entity rather than a person, it could not file a claim against him.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Subjunctive posted:

The IRS lets you unilaterally opt out of withholding? In Canada you need to get the gov’t’s explicit approval for that unless it’s a reduction related to the employer collecting retirement savings contributions pre-tax or something. Weird choice, IRS.

Withholdings aren't done at the government level, they're just sent to the government, in the US. So, like, my company's payroll department takes out the taxes based on an estimate that I'll make X amount this year. I'm then responsible for either clawing any overage back or sending any underfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Subjunctive posted:

You can file paperwork to perform your own withholding or change specifics of it, but you can not just go "I'm not doing it at all." without some form of approval.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/employees/tax-withholding

Highly doubt that sovcit was telling the truth.