Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't remember how, but at one point I had both FreeBSD and Windows set up so that they'd run a script whenever I tried accessing a network share.

This script would send a Wake-on-LAN magic packet to start the server I had at the time and then block until the NAS came online - but it only really worked because I'd somehow lucked into a server that booted incredibly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Klyith posted:

2. If you can nerd out with a little bit of command line, robocopy or rsync can do this type of thing. I rolled my own backup system based on robocopy for several years (then I quit windows this year). Probably I should have been using rsync the whole time -- it has built-in options to do what I was doing without all the batch hackery. But my thing worked well enough.

Good reminder, when I ran this as an Ubuntu box I had my own rsync scripts - I could probably do the same again.

Klyith posted:

Re: redundancy, if you want to get 2 drives you can mirror them using ntfs raid or storage spaces in windows.

Another good point, thanks. Maybe I could just pick up a matching 12tb, shuck them both and stop worrying about the cold backup..

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the NAS have to be on 24x7? I have Unraid running on a newer Microserver and cut the energy consumption to a third of what it was by running a shutdown script each day at about 3am and then using a £10 TP-Link smart plug to turn it back on each evening, with the BIOS configured to boot whenever AC power is restored.

I'd have to think if I could make this work. The times I end up accessing it are a bit unpredictable - I work from home so occasionally want to access it during the day, can't just leave it until the evening and automatically save 2/3 of the day. But maybe I could just try a scheduled shutdown every day so it doesn't stay on unused, and then WoL-ing it when I do want to access it. I do have a spare smart plug but don't think I'd need it when WoL works fine.

Thanks for the ideas!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Incessant Excess posted:

Which file system should I use?
The NAS supports EXT4 Btrfs, NTFS, HFS+ and exFAT. I've heard of NTFS and exFAT from Windows but am not familiar with the others. As mentioned above, my devices mostly run Windows.

I would probably use whichever is the default. Over the network it doesn't matter which filesystem a different computer uses -- your windows PC isn't seeing the filesystem, it's seeing the SMB fileshare.

EXT4 and btrfs are linux filesystems. Using btrfs means you get a new feature called snapshots, which asustor has a GUI interface for. Snapshots are a way to preserve old versions of files in a space-efficient way.

(Synology NASes have used btrfs behind the scenes for a while.)

Incessant Excess posted:

Should I enable NFS?
The manual says that, if enabling NFS, I "will be able to access your NAS via UNIX or Linux operating systems". My desktop runs Windows but I do have a media player that I believe runs a version of Linux (currently I'm using SMB to connect from it to my old NAS).

Nah, any media player device is gonna do SMB and expect that as the default.

Incessant Excess posted:

Can I go from Raid0 straight to Raid5?
Ideally I'd put 3x 10tb in Raid0 in the new NAS, copy over all the data, add a fourth drive to the new NAS and change it from raid0 to raid5 while retaining all the data on it. Is that possible?

No. You can go from a single plain drive to RAID.
https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/College_topic?topic=352

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thank you for the straightforward explanations, it's the sort of answer I was hoping for.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I was thinking about moving my 8 drive NAS that is currently in a Node 804 on a shelf into my rack. A 3U chassis would be ideal. I came across the iStarUSA D-380HB that looked like it fit the bill. I had a bad experience with my drive temps in the Silverstone CS381 before I ended up with the Node 804 (as detailed in this thread) and the fact that the D-380HB is a whopping $450 with no returns certainly isn't ideal, but with the enclosed drive cages with exhaust fan seems like it has a reasonable chance of being able to move some air across the surface of the drives, unlike the CS381. I'd be putting a microATX board in it so no biggie on the PSU covering up some of the PCI slots if an ATX motherboard was in use. I don't need hotswap drives. I haven't come across any other 3U cases that meet this criteria though. Am I crazy for considering this one?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If I want a 4 bay NAS and I'm pretty sure I want a Synology, should I just grab a DS920+? Are there other options I should be considering based on some criteria? It seems like Synology may have the best user experience, but holy gently caress it's horrible trying to decipher what all the various things they sell are.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

K8.0 posted:

If I want a 4 bay NAS and I'm pretty sure I want a Synology, should I just grab a DS920+? Are there other options I should be considering based on some criteria? It seems like Synology may have the best user experience, but holy gently caress it's horrible trying to decipher what all the various things they sell are.

DS920+ is a great option. It's not the cheapest, but it's a very user friendly turn-key solution that is reliable and I've heard good things about Synology support if you ever find yourself needing to contact them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

4___ = not expandable
9___ = expandable with their external drive box

_20+ = intel celeron CPU which can do transcoding if you care about Plex
_20j = ARM CPU and less ram, good enough for being a NAS but not good for running lots of additional things
_23+ = AMD ryzen CPU which is the most powerful option but has no GPU / media codec engine

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Alright thanks Klyith that really helps a lot, then I just have to compare relatively minor differences. Looks like the DS920+ probably does make the most sense, especially with how small the cost difference is right now vs the 420+

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 29, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

j-series Synology boxes are devices that you almost regret purchasing as soon as you open the box. Synology are generally quite tight with the hardware specs of their boxes so buying the entry level unless you need nothing more than a hard drive that connects to the network is a false economy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

(Synology NASes have used btrfs behind the scenes for a while.)
They're not using it in a meaningful way, because it's BTRFS on top of Linux software RAID with some custom code to try and get brtfs checksumming to signal the software RAID implementation when data returned from disks don't match - meaning it's not relying on BTRFS to do the self-healing (which is the whole point of BTRFS).
This has the side effect that since that code is buggy, it's not uncommon to still get checksum errors.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

fletcher posted:

I was thinking about moving my 8 drive NAS that is currently in a Node 804 on a shelf into my rack. A 3U chassis would be ideal. I came across the iStarUSA D-380HB that looked like it fit the bill. I had a bad experience with my drive temps in the Silverstone CS381 before I ended up with the Node 804 (as detailed in this thread) and the fact that the D-380HB is a whopping $450 with no returns certainly isn't ideal, but with the enclosed drive cages with exhaust fan seems like it has a reasonable chance of being able to move some air across the surface of the drives, unlike the CS381. I'd be putting a microATX board in it so no biggie on the PSU covering up some of the PCI slots if an ATX motherboard was in use. I don't need hotswap drives. I haven't come across any other 3U cases that meet this criteria though. Am I crazy for considering this one?

I mean, if you can find an extra 1U you can just get one of the Rosewill 4000 series chassis for less than half that price.
R4000
L4500

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scruff McGruff posted:

I mean, if you can find an extra 1U you can just get one of the Rosewill 4000 series chassis for less than half that price.
R4000
L4500

I really want that extra 1U for something else, such a premium to pay for it though. Although...I currently have a 3U fan thing between my UDM Pro and an ISP provided Juniper ACX2100-AC because they run so hot, but maybe I could swap that out for a 2U fan bracket to get my 1U back. Hmmm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

R4000
L4500

I have one of those two cases, I don't remember which one. They are so aggressively wrong with basic dimensions that you can't fit it in a standard 19' rack with the rack kit on it - it's too wide. So mine sits on a shelf.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Anyone tried refurb enterprise drives? They're a lot cheaper, raid 10-instead-of-five cheaper sometimes, but I don't know how often I'd have to be replacing them.

30T array filled up to 400G free (media duplication issue. Either it got redownloaded or copied instead of moved) but it's time to make the wallet cry again.

In other news, ZFS on a set of cpu-attached 4TB u.2 drives is ludicrously fast. I've only got 6 right now but the server can take 12. Much smaller pool than my NAS but the stuff running on it doesn't ever get IO starved.

I'm not even tuned properly but I'm getting north of 100k 4k random read iops, 50k write and >5.2gB/s sustained reads on the zvol.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What exactly is involved with refurbishing a hard drive, to me it sounds like that word is being used to describe a disk pulled from a decommissioned server or array, wiped and given a health check and a bit of a clean. So it's used.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pretty sure they give it a cup of tea and thank it for its service before sending it back out too.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

K8.0 posted:

Alright thanks Klyith that really helps a lot, then I just have to compare relatively minor differences. Looks like the DS920+ probably does make the most sense, especially with how small the cost difference is right now vs the 420+

I went with a 920+ a month or so back and it's been great. When I had a few questions support was quick to respond and helpful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harik posted:

Anyone tried refurb enterprise drives? They're a lot cheaper, raid 10-instead-of-five cheaper sometimes, but I don't know how often I'd have to be replacing them.

This is what I've been doing, since used 10TB SAS drives are in the range of half the price of any new drive on cost per TB. I think I'm up to ~10 of them with only a single DOA and a single failure further down the road than that. The only caveat is sometimes you might need to do a low-level format since some of them are pulled from SANs that use sector sizes other than 512/4096. For example.

They're so much cheaper that they're also "look, I have a hot spare and still saved money" cheaper.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 29, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Harik posted:

In other news, ZFS on a set of cpu-attached 4TB u.2 drives is ludicrously fast. I've only got 6 right now but the server can take 12. Much smaller pool than my NAS but the stuff running on it doesn't ever get IO starved.
You might be interested in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8sl8gj9UnA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

What exactly is involved with refurbishing a hard drive, to me it sounds like that word is being used to describe a disk pulled from a decommissioned server or array, wiped and given a health check and a bit of a clean. So it's used.

Mostly just open-box returns and the like.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

FCKGW posted:

Mostly just open-box returns and the like.

not open box drives for these, you get them at dedicated storefronts that sell 1u servers and whatnot. Enterprise, has the 3v sense line or whatever that you have to mask off, sometimes 10krpm instead of 5400/7200...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You might be interested in this:
Absolutely, thanks for that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yes indeed, thanks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Well I forgot to hit buy on the DS920+ the other night, got busy, and now the prices are up like $100+... Whoops. Now I'm back to being torn on what to do.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone use a NAS with their Lightroom library? I’ve been using an external SSD with Live Previews but am getting tired of attaching/detaching the drive. Would one of the two bay Synology NAS in raid 1 be fine for this, or would it be laggy as hell over wifi?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

frogbs posted:

Does anyone use a NAS with their Lightroom library? I’ve been using an external SSD with Live Previews but am getting tired of attaching/detaching the drive. Would one of the two bay Synology NAS in raid 1 be fine for this, or would it be laggy as hell over wifi?

It will be laggy as hell

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

I keep my very large archive catalog on my 218+ and a smaller one for this year locally on my 14” MBP. I can barely tell the difference between the library hosted on the NAS and the smaller local one in nearly everything I do. I think exporting is slightly longer, and anything where you load the photo into an external program.

Lightroom will show you smart previews the whole time unless you have them turned off. Maybe it has to load the photo file for really close crops? Maybe the smart previews are why my performance is good? The catalog itself is local, the photo files are just in a mounted remote folder instead of a local one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

frogbs posted:

I do but I’ve got a 10gig connection to it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

frogbs posted:

The Wifi part especially. Get a cabled connection and it should be doable.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OSU_Matthew posted:

Currently working my way backwards through the thread, but I'm in a situation where I need to expand my storage pool and I'm conflicted as to what the best options are. I currently have a Synology 1517+ NAS with x5 4TB HGST (WD?) drives in it (lowest failure rate drives according to backblaze in late 2017). It's configured in Raid 6 BTRFS, so about 10.5Tb capacity sitting at 90% usage, which isn't great.

I currently use it for a shared plex media server and repository for all our photos and docs.

It's been constantly running on a battery backup in my server rack for the past five years, so I'm starting to think real hard about drive failures. I currently have an amazon glacier backup of files and documents, basically everything that's not on plex. However, I don't really trust the viability of restoring from there and haven't tested it beyond an initial POC. Would Backblaze be the next best thing for an affordable NAS cloud backup?

Given the age of the hardware, I'm debating a few things. Because I'm paranoid about losing everything I'm tempted just to grab a 10tb external hdd, running a fullish backup, putting it in an esd bag in a fire safe or something, and maybe doing annual backups when I change the furnace filter or something. With the age of the equipment I feel like I'm getting into hardware failure territory and I don't trust parity bits to properly restore a raid 5 or 6 array and not have succumbed to bit decay :tinfoil:

But that's an interim worst case scenario solution, and still doesn't fix my capacity issue. I like the Synology hardware, it's been reliable in my experience, so I'm trying to decide between buying an expansion bay or shell out for another newer unit with beefier hardware for better streaming plex with concurrent remote users, or just moving plex to a dedicated server entirely. Basically I want to get some new drives and hardware and redo my array, but I haven't really followed hardware all that closely and am curious what you folks would do... thanks in advance!

6 month update... my paranoia seems to have been justified. 5 years of continuous use in a not well-conditioned basement rack finally killed one of the drives in my NAS. After posting here earlier I wound up just doing a full backup on an external drive so I at least have a local backup in case rebuilding the array goes belly up and glacier restoration doesn't work. But the drive failure forces the question of what next? Conveniently, right after black Friday NAS sales that would've been perfect timing to pick up a ds920+ or something.

With a hobbled array, should I just snag a replacement drive, rebuild it back to normal health, and plan on maybe getting new drives and upgrading the array? Or should I just do a hardware upgrade and get something like get a 2-bay NAS, plug in WD Red 12tb drives, configure for RAID 1 w/ BTRFS, copy over the entire array to that, and re-do the older NAS to something like RAID 10? I figure I'd use one system for plex, another for file/photo storage.

I'm guessing since one drive died, the rest are probably nearing the end of their service life as well?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone work with Infinidat before? Coworker brought them in for a "deep dive" learning session and I have no frame of reference.
We're really happy with our PURE/Qumulo, so I'm not sure the problem he's looking to solve with them? Cost?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

the spyder posted:

Anyone work with Infinidat before? Coworker brought them in for a "deep dive" learning session and I have no frame of reference.
We're really happy with our PURE/Qumulo, so I'm not sure the problem he's looking to solve with them? Cost?

I think you want the Enterprise Storage thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669 this is more home / small office

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looking into new NAS options, I noticed a current 6 bay QNAP nas costs about the same as this setup would be running unraid or truenas:

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100T
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Motherboard: MSI B560M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200
Memory: G.Skill Value 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666
Storage: KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 1 TB PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME
Storage: 4x 10tb + 2x 16tb HDDs
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 White ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Cooler Master V550 Gold V2 550 W 80+ Gold

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when self building a nas? I've built PCs before but I'm not sure about the particulars of building a server.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Incessant Excess posted:

Looking into new NAS options, I noticed a current 6 bay QNAP nas costs about the same as this setup would be running unraid or truenas:

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when self building a nas? I've built PCs before but I'm not sure about the particulars of building a server.

Well the stuff you have here would give you more flexibility than an appliance. Also Q-Nap isn't known for having the best security, I believe they have a hard coded root password on them. One thing I would change if going for a TrueNAS build is to get a much smaller NVMe drive as TrueNAS doesn't have a large installation. You could go down to 32GB/64GB and still have room for years of OS updates. If going Unraid, keep the 1TB for cache and VMs and other things that may require speed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Get a small SSD for boot with TrueNAS, use the 1TB NVMe for VMs/apps and dump for downloads etc.

For what it's worth - 4x10 + 2x16 will not be used very efficiently in TrueNAS.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thank you both for the responses!

Wibla posted:

Get a small SSD for boot with TrueNAS, use the 1TB NVMe for VMs/apps and dump for downloads etc.

For what it's worth - 4x10 + 2x16 will not be used very efficiently in TrueNAS.

Is it bad practice to keep the OS and the apps/docker containers on the same drive? I assumed I could have both on the nvme.

Would the drives be used less efficiently than raid? ~50 TB usable?

Would the board and CPU above ECC ram and do I need that?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Is it bad practice to keep the OS and the apps/docker containers on the same drive? I assumed I could have both on the nvme.

Would the drives be used less efficiently than raid? ~50 TB usable?

Would the board and CPU above ECC ram and do I need that?

TrueNAS Scale won't let you do stuff with the boot drive, iirc, so a small SSD for boot/system is recommended. I'm running a 1TB SATA SSD as a "scratch" drive for apps + downloads, and an older 120GB SSD for boot/system.

I wouldn't combine 4x10 and 2x16 in the same vdev/raid array, you'd be missing out on 6TB per 16TB drive.

You'd have to look at if that motherboard supports ECC ram, but ECC ram is not a requirement.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Incessant Excess posted:

Truenas will not even let you do this. The boot drive is the boot drive, that's it. I appreciated this decision when my cheap boot SSD crapped out :v:

I personally went for a 120GB SATA SSD for boot (now it's a pair) and a pair of 1TB NVMe drives for app storage and temporary space for I/O intensive tasks. Works well for my needs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Incessant Excess posted:

I’d do unraid over a qnap box almost 100% of the time.

Much more flexibility/capability, off the shelf hardware if something breaks. If something really breaks all you have to do is swap the boot usb into something new and remap the drives and go on like nothing happened. Also that easy to upgrade later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

I’d do unraid over a qnap box almost 100% of the time.

Much more flexibility/capability, off the shelf hardware if something breaks. If something really breaks all you have to do is swap the boot usb into something new and remap the drives and go on like nothing happened. Also that easy to upgrade later.

I haven't personally used Unraid but I have to agree here. Unraid is going to give you a hell of a lot more flexibility than a Q-Nap any day of the week. I'm part of a few facebook groups where a lot of people sing its praises as a one stop shop for everything you could want to do with a NAS. Great docker support, VM support, easy to expand storage; just pop in a disk, initialize it, and you're on your way. And as pointed out, you can use commodity hardware to do upgrades and repairs so you're not locked into one ecosystem.