Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nachos posted:

Wow my child is a terror on antibiotics, I forgot how bad this was

As far as diarrhea or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nwin posted:

As far as diarrhea or something else?

Diarrhea but mostly just nonstop hysterical tantrums. Like the antibiotics are clearly working for her infection but it’s day 3 and the mood shift after antibiotics is very obvious. This happens every time, but we’ve been fortunate to not have to deal with infections that often.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
BFs child does not want to eat mac n cheese but he does want to lick the table

Also child has decreed that he is cute and I am cute, but daddy is NOT cute.

Daddy is also full of farts, apparently.

Brawnfire posted:

The child's theory of optics:

You can't see something from across the room. You must be standing next to it.

You can see something really well if it's being waved an inch from your eyes.

You are able to see the far side of an object if the child can see it.

Oh boy is that second part true.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might talk to your doctor about using a different antibiotic, they might be having an allergic reaction to that one. I don't have many allergies, but I know Doxycycline* will make me projectile vomit if I don't eat a giant pasta meal immediately before hand (and even then I feel queasy).

There's a bunch of broad spectrum antibiotics you don't just have to take the first one the doctor prescribes you; you probably got that one because it's some combination of cheap/readily available/few side effects in most children

I am not a doctor or medical professional

*Pretty sure they only prescribe Doxycycline to people 8yo and up

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
My 1 year old for the past few days has been stopping while crawling around to purposely bang his forehead (once) on the floor. It’s a weird behavior and hard to Google because you get an the articles about head wounds. Anyone else seen this?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What was the name of the thread recommended crib pad? The one that is absorbent and you just swap out from on top of the sheets if the kid wets the bed?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Academician Nomad posted:

My 1 year old for the past few days has been stopping while crawling around to purposely bang his forehead (once) on the floor. It’s a weird behavior and hard to Google because you get an the articles about head wounds. Anyone else seen this?

Prolly just a cause and effect thing. Loud noises and new sensations. It’ll cease to be novel and they’ll start banging other things together to see what fun can be had. My 2 year old does this discovery cycle at a rapid clip around the house with anything she can reach.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hadlock posted:

You might talk to your doctor about using a different antibiotic, they might be having an allergic reaction to that one. I don't have many allergies, but I know Doxycycline* will make me projectile vomit if I don't eat a giant pasta meal immediately before hand (and even then I feel queasy).

There's a bunch of broad spectrum antibiotics you don't just have to take the first one the doctor prescribes you; you probably got that one because it's some combination of cheap/readily available/few side effects in most children

I am not a doctor or medical professional

*Pretty sure they only prescribe Doxycycline to people 8yo and up

Yeah we got cefdinir (?) because she reacted badly to amoxicillin last time and handled cefdinir better. I dont know what the deal is because she is going loving crazy. Just straight screaming at the top of her lungs over the smallest things. I know some of that is toddlers.txt but she is a very explosive kid and this is still way out of the norm for her. We’ll talk to the doc about a different prescription.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

nachos posted:

Yeah we got cefdinir (?) because she reacted badly to amoxicillin last time and handled cefdinir better. I dont know what the deal is because she is going loving crazy. Just straight screaming at the top of her lungs over the smallest things. I know some of that is toddlers.txt but she is a very explosive kid and this is still way out of the norm for her. We’ll talk to the doc about a different prescription.

Cefdenir is the worst antibiotic I've ever been on in terms of side effects.

It's awful, I'm nauseous all the time and just so tired and miserable on it. Every dose leaves me nonfunctional for about 4-6 hours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

meanolmrcloud posted:

Prolly just a cause and effect thing. Loud noises and new sensations. It’ll cease to be novel and they’ll start banging other things together to see what fun can be had. My 2 year old does this discovery cycle at a rapid clip around the house with anything she can reach.

The worst was discovering the side of the oven could basically be sounded like a giant gong.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Many ear infections resolve by themselves in 2-3 days, which means you can’t always be sure the antibiotic actually helped. It might be worth talking with your doctor about waiting a bit longer before trying the meds?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Yeah, our youngest went through a head banging stage. Not the floor, but glass cabinets. Extra fun on the anxiety front. She got bored of it after a couple of weeks and stopped doing it so frequently.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Baby's first conjunctivitis, oh boy. The piteous wailing as I try to clean out the yellow eyegunk with a warm compress. The 3 day meth bender eyes. The literal faucet of a nose.

Little one, I'm so sorry, this isn't fun for anyone.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Vorkosigan posted:

Baby's first conjunctivitis, oh boy. The piteous wailing as I try to clean out the yellow eyegunk with a warm compress. The 3 day meth bender eyes. The literal faucet of a nose.

Sorry you're dealing with this too, it really sucks. And if you're super lucky one of you will get it from your kid even if you're really careful.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Preschooler has begun parroting random symptoms of kid illness for the fun(?) of it and I’m going up a wall over here.

e: well the ear thing was bunk but apparently she meant the upset tummy ughhhh

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 12, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Animal crackers are a fine midnite snack. It comes in a bucket and it is basically hard tack.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I guess immunity begins to wane something like 6-12 weeks for most people and we did daycare covid at the beginning of October, so will probably get our 2 year old the booster first half of January and hopefully that will carry us to summer '23
COVID heh, Measles is what the under four crew has to worry about around here in 2023.

At least I got my "it's not on the schedule, but the lab is closed for lunch so let's skip the titers" MMR booster a few years back.

Rocketwitch
Sep 2, 2011

Vorkosigan posted:

Get well soon!
We had this last week for the first time and this morning the yellow gunk came back... I hate this so much. Eye drops are the worst and I feel so bad holding him down.
Got myself a case of tonsillitis and pray to god I won't infect the baby.

At least we're all sick before Christmas...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Can amoxicillin cause disturbed sleep in kids?

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Hadlock posted:

What is everybody's transit time to their daycare, or how much extra time does going to daycare add to your one way commute

Mine is 20 minutes one way, but I WFH so it's 40 minutes morning + 40 minutes afternoon = almost an hour and a half a day of driving for childcare
To come back to this for a second, ours is about an hour, roundtrip, both to and from daycare. So 2 hours a day in daycare commute.

To add some context - we live in downtown Chicago, and we're driving literally three miles to a place on the near West Side. Driving through the Loop at rush hour is just that terrible that this takes an hour. When we started this daycare, which the was one of the only relatively affordable ones around, it was during prime COVID and there was very little traffic. Everyone was working from home, so we got a very rose-tinted look at the commute, if you can ignore the whole world-changing pandemic thing. But now that most are back in the office, it has become an insane, stressful commute that is slowly grinding my wife and me into paste. We've been hit by two Uber drivers in the last 18 months (thankfully, minor accidents and no one was hurt) and had so many close calls.

Fortunately we are able to move our daughter to a place in-neighborhood starting in January because she is now two, which will turn the commute into a five minute roundtrip walk. We're pretty happy, and obviously very privileged to have the option.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 12, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That sounds horrifying. I just timed mine. Left the house at 9:09am, arrived home at 9:53 = 44 minutes door to door

hallo spacedog posted:

Can amoxicillin cause disturbed sleep in kids?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/amoxicillin-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20075356

quote:

Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine.

Less common
Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
change in taste

Incidence not known
sleeplessness
trouble with sleeping
unable to sleep

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Cefdinir gives our kid the weirdest color poops. We are on it again with another ear infection :baby:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Going to see Santa at the mall tonight! I hope the little dude enjoys it and isn’t terrified.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, mall day trips are fun!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ours would do this as well as sit against a wall and slowly bang the back of his head on the wall. He stopped after a while.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

hallo spacedog posted:

Sorry you're dealing with this too, it really sucks. And if you're super lucky one of you will get it from your kid even if you're really careful.

I think we, at least, managed to not catch kid's conjunctivitis. She has been clean for 4 days now which should be past the incubation period. We're both semi-obsessive hand-washers. I guess that's finally paying off?

Of course, instead, her mother caught some sort of flu so we're counting on me and baby having that within the next day or two...

(I wish there were reliable RATs for omicron! Would be really good to know if that's what she's having...)

Re: eyedrops, do you get those on prescription? Here, they won't prescribe any antibiotics unless it's not clearing up by itself within a few days.

Ours just required gentle cleaning three times a day, then it cleared up by itself. So I guess the policy works.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Daughter just vomited all over her crib. New sheets, new load of laundry, a bath, and a few stories and she’s back to bed after ~2 hours.

Doesn’t help that she had like 8 of her favorite stuffed animals in there and now I’m scrubbing them as clean as I can get them for the morning time.

Also unless she’s magically feeling better tomorrow morning it looks like they are missing daycare tomorrow. Not like I need the time to get stuff done at work or home tomorrow!

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

What was the name of the thread recommended crib pad? The one that is absorbent and you just swap out from on top of the sheets if the kid wets the bed?

https://www.peapodmats.com/

was this it?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mind_Taker posted:

Daughter just vomited all over her crib. New sheets, new load of laundry, a bath, and a few stories and she’s back to bed after ~2 hours.

Doesn’t help that she had like 8 of her favorite stuffed animals in there and now I’m scrubbing them as clean as I can get them for the morning time.

Also unless she’s magically feeling better tomorrow morning it looks like they are missing daycare tomorrow. Not like I need the time to get stuff done at work or home tomorrow!

With the assumption that your daughter has a stomach bug of some sort, you should keep her home for 48 hours after the last incident of loose stool or vomiting.

Also, plush toys with vomit on them go in the machine wash, otherwise she'll just reinfect herself with them. Noroviruses do not confer short-term immunity, so they can keep circulating around a household until you've gotten your hygiene straight.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well my 4.5yo son is a somnambulist now

Time to reactivate the security system

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

With the assumption that your daughter has a stomach bug of some sort, you should keep her home for 48 hours after the last incident of loose stool or vomiting.

Also, plush toys with vomit on them go in the machine wash, otherwise she'll just reinfect herself with them. Noroviruses do not confer short-term immunity, so they can keep circulating around a household until you've gotten your hygiene straight.

I didn’t know plush toys could go in the machine! This is the first time my kids have gotten bodily fluids on one of their stuffed animals. Useful knowledge for later.

And yeah she’s staying home today and tomorrow. No more vomiting since last night (and no diarrhea yet thankfully) but she said her stomach hurts. Poor girl.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mind_Taker posted:

I didn’t know plush toys could go in the machine! This is the first time my kids have gotten bodily fluids on one of their stuffed animals. Useful knowledge for later.

Not all of them can, perhaps... My philosophy is, try them at low temperature, see which ones survive. The norm here (Sweden) is that they all come with a little sticker which takes the guesswork out of it:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Re: eyedrops, do you get those on prescription? Here, they won't prescribe any antibiotics unless it's not clearing up by itself within a few days.

Ours just required gentle cleaning three times a day, then it cleared up by itself. So I guess the policy works.

Baby's actually cleared up alone after yeah 2-3 days of diligent gentle cleaning. But my husband also got it and it took a bit longer to go away, even with prescription meds.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not all of them can, perhaps... My philosophy is, try them at low temperature, see which ones survive. The norm here (Sweden) is that they all come with a little sticker which takes the guesswork out of it:

Non-machine washable plushies are downright cruel

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ah gotta love keeping a kid home an extra day after being sick because they seem tired then they perk the heck up after dropoff hours end.

Glad she’s feeling better but I would’ve appreciated it if she’d felt better 2 hours earlier.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Same same. He now only does it when we tell him he can't do something. I'll say, for example, "We need to stay inside right now" when he's pulling on the door handle. He'll turn, give me a silent cry, then bend over and carefully bang his head on the floor, then hold his head and cry. I've just been saying "I know you're disappointed that we have to stay inside, and I see that you banged your head on the floor, but let's go play with XXXXX", and he's been doing it a lot less. Be glad your Googling didn't take you down the autism path, like mine did. I was just like "nope, closing the tab".

The Aardvark posted:

Ours would do this as well as sit against a wall and slowly bang the back of his head on the wall. He stopped after a while.
Ours does this in his crib or on the floor bed once in a while. He's gone from doing it once a day to like once a week.

Like most things, I think it's a phase.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The suspected gastro appears to have been confirmed strep, maybe gastro too (based on wife’s symptoms), and, in addition to that, confirmed round two of RSV.

“Good” news is that so far RSV was way worse last time around.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I set up my future kid's car seat (he's due Feb. but I figured I might as well try it out early).

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to sit at the correct angle in the middle, it was rotated too far forward on the bubble level. At least that's before I tightened it down, the bubble level could be centered after tightening it.

Next best is passenger side rear. Only weird part is that the seat belt for the middle seat has to go behind the car seat, since the seat belt for the middle is anchored between the 2 LATCH mount points. I'm not sure where to put the buckle though. For now I've just gently put it behind the seat so it won't flop around, and it won't be in the way of the back of the seat either. Unfortunately there's a piece on the seat belt that prevents me from just hiding it beneath the cushions. Any idea what to do with it?

Vehicle is a gen-3 prius, carseat is a chicco keyfit 30.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Read the manual. Then read it again.

Then read your car's manual to see what it has to say about car seats, because sometimes they do have things to say about them.

Your local fire station should have someone on staff who can help (call ahead they may require appointments), and IIRC Buy Buy Baby has trained technicians available as well.

They all install differently and the manual should show you exactly how to install them. Be careful with the LATCH anchors, they make things easy sometimes but they also have several limitations.

edit:

Not to say that nobody here can help you, but with dozens of different car seats installing to thousands of different cars, there's no real general answer. Maybe post some pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to sit at the correct angle in the middle, it was rotated too far forward on the bubble level. At least that's before I tightened it down, the bubble level could be centered after tightening it.
It doesn't matter if the base is level before you tighten it, only after. Usually bases like that will have some mechanism to adjust the leveling of it too. It might be behind that door in the front of the photo. Also, read the manual.

Eeyo posted:

Next best is passenger side rear. Only weird part is that the seat belt for the middle seat has to go behind the car seat, since the seat belt for the middle is anchored between the 2 LATCH mount points.
Are you sure? That seems really weird to me. If so, I'd probably figure out if you can run the belt over the latch clip but under the back of the base so that it's not trapping it like that. Although it's probably fine as is? Aside from not being usable. Also, read your vehicle's manual.

Edit: Are there latch clips for the middle seat? Some vehicles have them, some don't, although it's generally agreed that the middle is not the best place for a car seat if you have other options. If there are latch clips though maybe you're offset?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 13, 2022