Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kraft has the money he could dangle for Payton but yeah coming in, that defense will fall apart without Belichick so it would probably be a disaster.

Gotta think Payton could assemble a pretty good staff.

He’d just need a couple defensive drafts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And like five offensive drafts.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have now accepted that Payton will go to Denver because no one can write a bigger check

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kraft has the money he could dangle for Payton but yeah coming in, that defense will fall apart without Belichick so it would probably be a disaster.

Payton wants to go somewhere with a good young QB and I don’t think Mac Jones qualifies. I doubt money is going to be the thing that sways him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Payton wants to go somewhere with a good young QB and I don’t think Mac Jones qualifies. I doubt money is going to be the thing that sways him.
Good point.

Counter point: Bailey Zappe

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I have now accepted that Payton will go to Denver because no one can write a bigger check

Hell world option: Snyder sells the Washington team to Bezos and he pays Payton like $500 million to come make a splash for his new toy

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Minnesota could really use a different DC. Ed Donatello is not it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Darth Brooks posted:

Minnesota could really use a different DC. Ed Donatello is not it.

Does anyone know how common it is for a coordinator to be fired after their first season with a new head coach? Because yeah the scheme is awful, even when they're not missing starters.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Does anyone know how common it is for a coordinator to be fired after their first season with a new head coach? Because yeah the scheme is awful, even when they're not missing starters.

Staley fired the Chargers ST coordinator after year 1 last year

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pete Carroll fired OC Jeremy Bates after his first year in Seattle

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hackett should be fired at halftime. The Broncos are unwatchable

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So does Hackett get fired at 8am on Monday or 9am?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At this point whoever decided Hackett should get this much leeway/room to hang himself with should be fired along with him

edit: https://twitter.com/FTBeard7/status/1602067371547856897?s=20&t=csSkyCG7CIAwt0Idm73BMw

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 11, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

At this point whoever decided Hackett should get this much leeway/room to hang himself with should be fired along with him

The new owners probably plan to clean house anyway and the season is already lost so what’s the rush?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Hackett is orchestrating an epic comeback. They should retain him.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

a neat cape posted:

10 year/200 mil lets go

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a neat cape posted:

Need at least 5 more years to let his master plan play out

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

They Broncos scored 14 points in a single half of football, he deserves:

adaz posted:

10 year/200 mil lets go

edit:
https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1602065200190046213?t=2qPPFhEfbSThwrJegqNHUA&s=19

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 11, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Todd Bowles defense out here letting the last pick of the NFL draft look like Patrick Mahomes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wandler20 posted:

Todd Bowles defense out here letting the last pick of the NFL draft look like Patrick Mahomes.
You gotta admit that Purdy's pump fake then dime over the corner and away from the safety was a great throw.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Edit wrong thread

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

You gotta admit that Purdy's pump fake then dime over the corner and away from the safety was a great throw.

It was. Much better than anything Brady has done today.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That Broncos game was actually highly entertaining after the first quarter when they had already spotted KC like a 21 point lead.

It also coincided with Russ being concussed into another dimension :thunk:

I think my favorite part was Wilson celebrating like he had won the Super Bowl after he checked down for about 1 yard to Mack and then he took it to the house thanks in no way to Russ.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hackett should be fired at halftime. The Broncos are unwatchable

Can he take Spagnuolo with him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

a neat cape posted:

That situation is a complete shitshow though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mcmagic posted:

That situation is a complete shitshow though.

I dunno, didn't Russ have a decent-to-good game yesterday before he got hurt, though? I can see Payton or another HC candidate looking at that and going, "Russ still got stuff left in the tank, and with that defense... I can work with that"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm confident Payton will not go to Denver. He's "only" 58 and has to be thinking that if he steps into a good situation where he can shoot for an Andy Reid-esque second stint, he could make himself a Hall of Famer.

If he was like 5 years older I'd buy Denver for the even dumber amounts of money option.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinji2015 posted:

I dunno, didn't Russ have a decent-to-good game yesterday before he got hurt, though? I can see Payton or another HC candidate looking at that and going, "Russ still got stuff left in the tank, and with that defense... I can work with that"

He was pretty bad until the Chiefs got up 27-0. It obviously wasn't garbage time given the final score, but I wonder if the Chiefs D was kinda treating it that way, you know, just slow them down and we'll be fine.

But he did make some real good throws along the way before getting hot-brained, so if you squint enough and know that Hackett is running a terrible offense and yours is better. Hey, maybe?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

I'm confident Payton will not go to Denver. He's "only" 58 and has to be thinking that if he steps into a good situation where he can shoot for an Andy Reid-esque second stint, he could make himself a Hall of Famer.

If he was like 5 years older I'd buy Denver for the even dumber amounts of money option.

He’s not already a HoFer?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He’s not already a HoFer?

He's reasonably fringe currently.

If we look at his contemporaries in the coached over a decade during the free agency era who've won 1 SB we get:

Andy Reid
Mike Holmgren
Pete Carroll
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Bill Cowher
John Harbaugh
Tony Dungy
Jon Gruden

Of that list, the only haha, no entry is Gruden*. The other guys worth mentioning here are Belichick, and moving on, Coughlin and Mike Shanahan who each have two in 20 years of coaching and aren't in yet.

There's 26 Head coaches in the HoF currently, so we can say there's roughly 4-5 per primary decade in the hall. So we gotta consider the 2000's and 2010's. Cowher and Dungy eat up two of those '00 slots, let's say Belichick eats one from each out of largesse, and Andy Reid is getting in, so that's 5 probably eaten.

After that, I think it's pretty certain Coughlin will get in, and Pete Carroll has the best resume of the remaining guys, so yeah, there's probably 3 spots for the remainder of that list, and Payton's best bet is to come back in a good scenario, and if he puts together any kind of contender, that'll likely do it

*McCarthy would also be a haha no, but there's a gross Cowboys multiplier

Nov 6, 2002

Coughlin getting in is ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bowles going to be one and done in tampa? He should be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Coughlin getting in is ridiculous.
He took an expansion team to the AFCCG in the team's second year of existence and also coached the Giants to slay the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl and then beat the Patriots again to get a second Super Bowl. I'm not saying I like him or anything, but thats the case for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some random stats for funsies

Playoff wins:
31 Belichick
19 Reid
13 Holmgren
12 Coughlin, Cowher
11 Carroll, Harbaugh
10 McCarthy
9 Payton, Dungy
8 Shanahan, Tomlin
5 Gruden

W-L%
66.8% Dungy
66.5% Belichick
63.7% Reid
63.1% Payton
63.0% Tomlin
62.3% Cowher
61.6% McCarthy
61.3% Harbaugh
59.2% Holmgren
59.1% Carroll
55.2% Shanahan
53.1% Coughlin
51.1% Gruden

Wins:
296 Belichick
243 Reid
170 Shanahan, Coughlin
161 Holmgren
159 Tomlin, Carroll
153 McCarthy
152 Payton
149 Cowher
146 Harbaugh
139 Dungy
117 Gruden

Years in Playoffs
19 Belicihck
17 Reid
12 Holmgren
11 Dungy, Carroll
10 Tomlin, Cowher, McCarthy
9 Payton, Harbaugh, Coughlin
8 Shanahan
5 Gruden

Putting Gruden on these lists is more fun for me then adding Belichick

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Coughlin’s success as a coach in Jacksonville gets overlooked a bit now, but they made the playoffs 4 straight years, including two trips to the AFC Championship game, a 14-2 season, and utterly annihilating Dan Marino/Jimmy Johnson in their final game. He’s got a decent case. Mike Tomlin might as well if he hangs around for a while and depending on how the Steelers go the next few years.

mcmagic posted:

Bowles going to be one and done in tampa? He should be.

That’ll be interesting to watch, as I think it will depend on how much sway Bruce Arians still has within the organization and the Brady situation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He took an expansion team to the AFCCG in the team's second year of existence and also coached the Giants to slay the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl and then beat the Patriots again to get a second Super Bowl. I'm not saying I like him or anything, but thats the case for it.

The problem is outside these two four-year stretches in Jacksonville and with the Giants, Coughlin's teams were inconsistent and mediocre. He's missed the playoffs more times than he actually made it in.

I think he gets in solely for beating Brady's Patriots twice.

Nov 6, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

The problem is outside these two four-year stretches in Jacksonville and with the Giants, Coughlin's teams were inconsistent and mediocre. He's missed the playoffs more times than he actually made it in.

I think he gets in solely for beating Brady's Patriots twice.

I know it's not going to be counted against him, but in NY for most of his years he was a neg negative.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Some random stats for funsies

Playoff wins:
31 Belichick
19 Reid
13 Holmgren
12 Coughlin, Cowher
11 Carroll, Harbaugh
10 McCarthy
9 Payton, Dungy
8 Shanahan, Tomlin
5 Gruden

W-L%
66.8% Dungy
66.5% Belichick
63.7% Reid
63.1% Payton
63.0% Tomlin
62.3% Cowher
61.6% McCarthy
61.3% Harbaugh
59.2% Holmgren
59.1% Carroll
55.2% Shanahan
53.1% Coughlin
51.1% Gruden

Wins:
296 Belichick
243 Reid
170 Shanahan, Coughlin
161 Holmgren
159 Tomlin, Carroll
153 McCarthy
152 Payton
149 Cowher
146 Harbaugh
139 Dungy
117 Gruden

Years in Playoffs
19 Belicihck
17 Reid
12 Holmgren
11 Dungy, Carroll
10 Tomlin, Cowher, McCarthy
9 Payton, Harbaugh, Coughlin
8 Shanahan
5 Gruden

Putting Gruden on these lists is more fun for me then adding Belichick

For fun I looked up Marty: 61.3% winning percentage right there with Harbaugh in the middle of the pack for this list. 200 wins putting most of them to shame. 13 years in the playoffs, same.

5 playoff wins, slumming it down there with Gruden without even getting a chance to coach for a ring.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I feel like Coughlim shouldn't get in, and he probably made his teams worse by being an absolute Dick. I swear the first Super Bowl season with the Giants coincided with him give the players more leeway with his stupid rules. Like the team vets were basically in open revolt about it at the end of the previous season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

syzpid posted:

I swear the first Super Bowl season with the Giants coincided with him give the players more leeway with his stupid rules. Like the team vets were basically in open revolt about it at the end of the previous season.

It’s not a secret, it’s a pretty widely told part of the narrative of the 2007 team that Coughlin eased up on some of his rules and got somewhat less strict with a lot of his players during that training camp/preseason. The team was in revolt, the media wanted him gone, and even his family sat him down after 2006 and said he needed to show the players he actually respected and cared about them. Pretty much everyone in the organization pointed out that it was beneficial to them in the long run and how the season eventually played out.