Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

Here's the Will Menaker essay from Wolf of Wall Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

will menaker is a musician?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Baffled: (e, oh they’re headers and it looked even more nonsensical before I added paragraphs, nm )

Irritable Vowel Syndrome

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a spangle moop in Pasadena . . . wait, wait, let me start again. In a vole in the gerund, there lorved an omelet . . . no, still not right. Call me Fish Mail! Well, if you’ve been mangling lines you were pretty sure you had down pat, you’re in good company. The Captioning Group has released their annual list of the most-mangled names and places, casting shade on tongue-tied presidents, hosts, and newsreaders. The crater where the meteor that probably killed the dinosaurs came to rest is Chicxulub (CHICK-choo-loob, like what horny chickens bring to an orgy in the abandoned train yard). The Serbian tennis star who was deported for refusing vaccination is Novak Djokovic (NO-vak JO-kuh-vich, as in “No, Jo, go fo yo so”). And, for the last time, her name is not pronounced “ad-DELL,” but “uh-DALE,” like Chip is working up the courage to confront his fellow Rescue Ranger about his drinking problem. This has been your daily reminder that “Domhnall Gleeson” is not “drat near” anywhere, and if you can’t pronounce Negroni sbagliato, well, you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.

Eye of the Be-smolder

This week, America had a brief love affair with Viktor Bout, the swole, dead-eyed “Merchant of Death” swapped out of U.S. custody in exchange for the return of imprisoned basketball star Brittney Griner because Russia called and they want their arms dealer back. Proving that his sensitivity does not end with his mustache—worn in a style that can only be called henchman chic—Bout has called for his painting portfolio to be returned to him as he awaits internment in a prison referred to as, no joke, a “friendly concentration camp.” Mr. Bout’s absent artworks include pictures of a malicious, vaguely Hot Topic-looking cat in chains and two monkeys kissing. In Russia, the trees, they are not so happy.

Magic 8 Bollocks

It’s not like nothing happened this week—Senator Raphael Warnock defeated Herschel Walker in the Georgia Senate runoff, The Trump Organization was found guilty of tax fraud, and the president of Peru was arrested after trying to dissolve Congress and flee the country—but the most shocking developments of 2022 are yet to come. At least they are if you put your faith in boring TikTok soothsayer Hannah Carroll whose painfully predictable, frankly ho-hum predictions this year included that Pete Davidson and Kim Kardashian would break up, Queen Elizabeth would die, and Ye would do something loathsome. Still to come, One Direction will get back together, and Billie Eilish will come out as bisexual—but St. John of Patmos this is not. Call us when a great star, blazing like a torch, falls from the sky on a third of the waters and the name of the star is Wormwood.

Now You’re Playing With Continental Post-Structualism

A specter is haunting Europe, and also the high-score boards of the political simulation game Victoria 3, whose players are complaining that communism always wins. The overpowered economic philosophy and beacon of hope to the laboring classes apparently so boosts players chances of owning at the game that disgruntled programmers have taken to Steam with mods that improve the yield of ethnostates and subsistence farming. But for the residents of the digital simulacrum, these adjustments may have come to late, as Mario has already disbanded the Mushroom Kingdom and returned sovereignty to the Koopa Troopas, the instruction booklet for Crash Bandicoot now consists of the entirety of Theodor Adorno’s Negative Dialectics, and Star Fox has made reeducation mandatory under the new Marxist edicts of lush, 8-bit paradise Corneria.

Blind Profit

No good deed lazily doled out in the aftermath of your credit card transaction goes unpunished, according to a class-action suit brought against CVS by consumers that allege the drug store chain did not actually send your spare change contributions to the American Diabetes Association as promised, but rather reimbursed itself for a previously-made charitable donation to the ADA. This is standard fare when it comes to charity, where your peace of mind often means turning a blind eye to corruption, abuse, and extremist right-wing politicking, as the Salvation Army regularly backs anti-LGBTQ causes, the Boy Scouts of America has been called “a haven for pedophiles,” and the American Breast Cancer Coalition is a political group widely seen as a scam and donates no money to cancer research or patients. They don’t even care about breasts; they like big butts, but at least they’re honest about that.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Dec 9, 2022

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I feel embarrassed for reading and liking a couple Al Franken books when I was like 14

god drat the newest trillbilly ep stunk after the first fifteen minutes or so

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoolighams posted:

I feel embarrassed for reading and liking a couple Al Franken books when I was like 14

Same. I remember reading the "Lies" book of his when I was like 15 on the way home from a trip to my grandparents and being like "I am inspired to take the fight to the Republicans, in politics"

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Tankbuster posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but unlike BLM, wasn't MeToo focused primarily on people in tinseltown?

media people, and yes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Listening to latest Breunigs.

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1601361227208429570

They talk the Fallwell doc and how he is directly responsible for Trump.

Oh good, the guest brought up crypto and now the conversation pivoted to the scandalous parts of the FTX story.

Oh good Christian commentary on Kanye West. Brittany Spears being used as a historical comparison is worth noting but the two are fundamentally not comparable.

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Dec 10, 2022

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Listening to latest Breunigs.

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1601361227208429570

They talk the Fallwell doc and how he is directly responsible for Trump.

Oh good, the guest brought up crypto and now the conversation pivoted to the scandalous parts of the FTX story.

Oh good Christian commentary on Kanye West. Brittany Spears being used as a historical comparison is worth noting but the two are fundamentally not comparable.

Matt’s poo poo-eating mirth at watching Sean McElwee fail last week was a perfect window into the Poster’s Heart

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Matt’s poo poo-eating mirth at watching Sean McElwee fail last week was a perfect window into the Poster’s Heart

was this on a pod or twitter? probably would actually have a listen to hear that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bastard Tetris posted:

What happened with McElwee, that guy sucks so bad and I wanna see him fail

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What happened with McElwee, that guy sucks so bad and I wanna see him fail

lol it rules. he was using his polling firm's data to bet on predictit and their model was so bad he lost a fuckton of money and they booted him from DfP. real double-whammy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bastard Tetris posted:

Link it, sounds way better than what I listened to

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

i say swears online posted:

lol it rules. he was using his polling firm's data to bet on predictit and their model was so bad he lost a fuckton of money and they booted him from DfP. real double-whammy

no way, link to something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao. Get hosed loser

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lmfao is there an article about this or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I found an article but it’s behind a paywall, apparently he was advising Sam bankman-fried too lol.

https://puck.news/an-s-b-f-ally-in-the-barrel/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i am actually having real trouble finding a good writeup. it may be too niche to warrant a flurry from the beltway crowd, but sean's been an advocate for political gambling for quite awhile and it was obvious he was dabbling himself. it's well-known in the predictit discords that he just absolutely ate poo poo, at least mid-five figs. he was pushing predictit on his staff before the election and he got fired for conflict of interest

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I found an article but it’s behind a paywall, apparently he was advising Sam bankman-fried too lol.

https://puck.news/an-s-b-f-ally-in-the-barrel/

here's a paywall bypass for this

https://archive.ph/AqCnV

quote:

But the S.B.F. scandal really was just the proximate event for a weirder, social-media-driven, very 2022 “scandal” that eventually put McElwee on the wrong side of his staff. Over the past several weeks, a series of anonymous, viral, now-deleted Twitter posts drew attention to McElwee’s passion for betting on political outcomes. McElwee has said publicly at length that he has encouraged his staff to bet on races to test their political instincts—this was not a secret—but Internet sleuths dredged up old comments by McElwee in which he talked about the bets. (“I like to encourage them to really think through what is the driving force of this electorate, and can you predict that in advance?” he once said, recalling his bets on Joe Biden’s 2020 victory and on Cabinet confirmation battles.) Wagering on outcomes is a key part of the effective-altruist ideology to which S.B.F. and McElwee subscribe, but the optics were awful, especially given the criticism directed at some Data for Progress midterm polling this cycle.

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 11, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Matt's theory was everyone must have hated him and been looking for an excuse to pull this

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

quote:

Wagering on outcomes is a key part of the effective-altruist ideology

this rules, actually.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

Matt's theory was everyone must have hated him and been looking for an excuse to pull this
while probably true it was also definitely a conflict of interest as well imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

COPE 27 posted:

Seems likely

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aimeeterese/status/1599999095493390336?t=8smfjaUO-lzVq9HhcJtzyw&s=19

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/aimeeterese/status/1600001388703907840?s=20&t=-Lm3M6AWZtue7EMIz3-UvA

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

This is the last straw

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
sic semper frogposteris.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

timeeaerese 😂

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

frog/pepe/peepo is so loving weird. infantilization is so widespread on social media

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the fren poo poo is genuinely disturbing, to me. the combo of infantilization and complete removal from social standards, and with it, the implied removal from society. how do these people eat. like where does the money for food come from.

just zoning out at work next to completely normal people thinking man can’t wait to go home, do some more nazi baby talk with other grown men.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

frog/pepe/peepo is so loving weird. infantilization is so widespread on social media

Some people just find the squashed pepe funny.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Best Friends posted:

the fren poo poo is genuinely disturbing, to me. the combo of infantilization and complete removal from social standards, and with it, the implied removal from society. how do these people eat. like where does the money for food come from.

just zoning out at work next to completely normal people thinking man can’t wait to go home, do some more nazi baby talk with other grown men.

I mean I won’t defend the fren/kekistan/whatever freak show, but there are many posters on this very forum who grit their teeth through every daily interaction only to come vent about the “normies” and/or “brunch libs” to the waiting like-minded audience. It’s not some unconscionable idea for people to adopt these antisocial online personas that become more real than their day-to-day.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

How are these people not wildly embarrassed of themselves

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They lack self awareness, the ability to introspect and most importantly, the ability to feel shame

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

How are these people not wildly embarrassed of themselves

well in her case im sure the money helps

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The smartest, coolest guy in the alt-right: what if we disguised our extremely off-putting beliefs to outsiders by making it look like we're just doing baby talk? And perhaps we could also make images of women who nurture and take care of us to hide them as well. While we're at it, it wouldn't hurt to have an actual woman to powder and diaper us, as a cover, and perhaps read us a story about a racially pure world while she tucks us in to a large crib.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The smartest, coolest guy in the alt-right: what if we disguised our extremely off-putting beliefs to outsiders by making it look like we're just doing baby talk? And perhaps we could also make images of women who nurture and take care of us to hide them as well. While we're at it, it wouldn't hurt to have an actual woman to powder and diaper us, as a cover, and perhaps read us a story about a racially pure world while she tucks us in to a large crib.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Best Friends posted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Melon Husk :xd:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

I mean I won’t defend the fren/kekistan/whatever freak show, but there are many posters on this very forum who grit their teeth through every daily interaction only to come vent about the “normies” and/or “brunch libs” to the waiting like-minded audience. It’s not some unconscionable idea for people to adopt these antisocial online personas that become more real than their day-to-day.

There is a really off putting way that people in left leaning online spaces talk about the world entirely in catchphrases. I think it's easy to ignore when talking about mundane stuff, but gets really gross when talking about horrifying things like the anti trans laws, or people's deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005