Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guess the Lions should've picked up Baker after all. Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
He's ruining our loving pick! :argh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's gonna beat the Packers and the Broncos too. He might even beat the Chargers. What the gently caress.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Matt Stafford’s wife working on her Tonya Harding impression rn

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing is, that's actually a perfect example! The Vikings straight-up should have lost, and benefited from multiple back-to-back miracles that included a 4th and 18 conversion and an endzone fumble recovery. And full credit to them for winning—it was absolutely insane and they made the most of the opportunities that they got. But were it not for those miracles, they would have lost 23-27, which is nearly identical to the score the Lions lost by two games later. About the only difference is that the Lions didn't hit on those miracles, with Jared Goff missing the game-clinching throw in the 4th quarter. So really, what these two games go to show is that while the Vikings are likely a better team, the Lions certainly aren't far behind.

wanna return to this because I do think there's something to the success we've had this year beyond 'getting lucky' or even 'capitalizing on mistakes,' and I want to use the lions as a comparison

goff has the 5th best 4th quarter QBR, just ahead of kirko in 6th

the difference is that the lions (tied with the vikings for second in 4th quarter points) are being let down by their 4th quarter defense (21st in 4th quarter points allowed, whereas the vikings are sixth)

in terms of overall 4th quarter performance -at least from a 4th quarter point differential perspective- the vikings are very likely a top 5 team, up there with the jets, dallas and the bengals (kind of a tossup for the 5th spot there, maybe the giants?), while their overall stats across an entire football game flatten to closer to the league average

so the take here, for me, is that if the vikings keep a game close, they are likely to win

if they get their doors blown off early like against dallas, they are unlikely to win

John McClane fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 9, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ironic Twist posted:

Matt Stafford’s wife working on her Tonya Harding impression rn

Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll come home

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

Guess the Lions should've picked up Baker after all. Jesus loving Christ.

Rams had priority anyway.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The raiders are awful. The parts of the game I watched the offense was inept and they take the worst penalties.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

The raiders are awful. The parts of the game I watched the offense was inept and they take the worst penalties.

The dumb penalties reminded me of the Schwartz lions, just dumbest penalties at the dumbest time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That unsportsmanlike penalty is beyond even the dumbest poo poo the Schwartz Lions would do. How the gently caress as a coach do you let your players do that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's stupid but at the same time I think losing 15 yards and giving up an automatic first down for lightly slapping away a ball is beyond excessive.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's stupid but at the same time I think losing 15 yards and giving up an automatic first down for lightly slapping away a ball is beyond excessive.

If the clock is running and the offense desperately needs to get to the line and get a play off, 15 yards for loving with the ball that blatantly to slow them down is absolutely reasonable

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I keep seeing it get tweeted and it doesn't get any easier to believe, but apparently only one player in the 25 seasons before this one, Myles Garrett, has gotten three sacks in his first two career games, and the Lions have done it twice this year in Aidan Hutchinson and James Houston. That might be my favourite cherrypicked stat of all time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

At best, it's completely unnecessary and unsportsmanlike and at worst, it's stealing time from a team that's trying to move down the field. When applied in the way it was applied last night, I think it's completely appropriate.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1601263370837041153

Lions gonna win by 1 and everybody's gonna lose their shirt.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1601263370837041153

Lions gonna win by 1 and everybody's gonna lose their shirt.

3-2, 6 knee injuries. Book it.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

I keep seeing it get tweeted and it doesn't get any easier to believe, but apparently only one player in the 25 seasons before this one, Myles Garrett, has gotten three sacks in his first two career games, and the Lions have done it twice this year in Aidan Hutchinson and James Houston. That might be my favourite cherrypicked stat of all time.

Here's another one I learned from athletic podcast.

When St. Brown is on the field. Goff has the fourth best qb rating in the NFL.

When St. Brown is not on the field. Goff has the 30th best qb rating in the NFL.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
i'd love to know what the splits are for kirko with and without JJ

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1601374385427947520

"I feel stupider just sitting here listening to you"

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wisconsin lost a game because ASU played keepaway w the ball.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ProFootballHOF/status/1601007491164377089

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Ugh, I had this suppressed.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

It'll be exciting to watch the bears gently caress this up within two years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SirPablo posted:

You're already seeing how: He's missing games because he's getting killed playing behind this line.
He was hurt last season and they rushed him back last week too.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

They're gonna Andrew Luck the poor guy.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Abugadu posted:

gently caress that game so much.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

SirPablo posted:

Ditto, as long as Fields doesn't get seriously hurt in the process...something I feel happens when teams mismanage their players.

HootTheOwl posted:

You're already seeing how: He's missing games because he's getting killed playing behind this line.
He was hurt last season and they rushed him back last week too.

:geno:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am, once again, ready to be let down.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Q_res posted:

That's a really good take on Goff, he's good enough to make you think he's the answer.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1601910229859700741

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lying>>>>

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

We are all Lions today

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Lions 34
Vikings 23

:(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wait this is what Goff looks like?
This looks like Ryan Gosling playing a qb

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SirPablo posted:

Lions 34
Vikings 23

:(

Harrison Smith is out, so Sun God is going to get 200 YAC. :(

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1601978249415983104

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait this is what Goff looks like?
This looks like Ryan Gosling playing a qb

I've said before, from one angle he's Ryan Gosling, from another angle he's Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

There isn't really anything new in this article—publicly, Holmes and Campbell have been supporting Goff, particularly over the last few weeks. Even if they draft a new QB in 2023, he's still going to be the starter next year Week 1 unless something drastically changes. But I don't believe for a second that the team is truly satisfied and settled with Goff.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
First career catch is a touchdown.

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/1602004934089740289

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Goddamn it, I would really like to know if Goff is good or just Cinderella'd up and going to turn into a pumpkin at the next away game. Maybe Detroit should run a 2 QB system where Goff only plays at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Ed Donatello's defense is frustrating to watch. Practice field coverage that's occasionally lucky