Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Karach posted:

they asked this question in the Winnipeg subreddit. it looks like the galaxy brains there are quite happy to sacrifice you on the altar of Motöra so that they can continue to blaze through suburban streets at 60 km/h.

taps the sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

where was this? downtown?

CID.

https://twitter.com/typewriteralley/status/1601487729870934016?s=20&t=Gzro5skmeFCycoXAJoW8KQ

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i used to follow fishmech or one of tose yospos guys on twitter and all theyd post were traffic things via some kind of weird automated thing. goons are weird

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The sort of "rural living" that people think about when they think about "rural living," everyone living on large plots in low density areas, is a creation of the automobile era.

Is it though? Most of southern Ontario was surveyed in a regular-ish grid with large plots with farmsteads far apart in the 1800s or earlier. Cars enabled suburbia to gobble up more and more farmland but that's not at all what I think of as 'rural'.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

eXXon posted:

Is it though? Most of southern Ontario was surveyed in a regular-ish grid with large plots with farmsteads far apart in the 1800s or earlier. Cars enabled suburbia to gobble up more and more farmland but that's not at all what I think of as 'rural'.
It was also an extremely lonely and miserable way to live even then. Not sure why the US made plots like that without little towns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Part of that is the need to settle/claim all of that land, so people needed to be physically on it and developing it. But also it's one thing to have a farmer living far from town (on the farm where they work) vs everyone else living far from town and commuting in. I'm not sure the latter was common before cars other than the very poor or very wealthy.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

i used to follow fishmech or one of tose yospos guys on twitter and all theyd post were traffic things via some kind of weird automated thing. goons are weird

Fishmech once spent two hours arguing with me over the definition of “strip mall”

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

Those were working farms, not large unproductive homestead plots where commuters live because they hate other people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The US really was primed for sprawl given that our national mission for two centuries was to lay claim to every inch of it with settlers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the original sin of US sprawl was the Land Ordinance of 1785 and the Northwest Ordinance of 1787

the ideological goal of ~a nation of yeoman farmers~ that stretches ~from sea to shining sea~ being enacted into laws providing for the endless acquisition of new lands, surveying those lands into square-mile chunks, and selling those chunks off to anyone who wanted them/promised to lifve on them is where the US's bizarrely evenly-low-density rural sprawl comes from, not the car per se.

the car just allowed for the slow increase in density of these areas, from the civil war era minimum of the quarter section (the 40 acres from 40 acres and a mule) down to 20 and 15 and 10 and 5 and 1 acre plots, carpeted across the country without any particular rhyme or reason

hailthefish has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Dec 10, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fishmech once spent two hours arguing with me over the definition of “strip mall”

not sure this is just an own on them

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

USA is different from Europe in that a lot of the inland bits are not really worth living in, so if you do decide to live there anyway, there's not gonna be a lot of competition/neighbours. Europe on the other hand is generally pretty nice, except the mountains, the northern Sweden/Norway/Finland and maybe inland Spain, so you don't get to just claim a million acres, which gives you local communities that have traditionally been quite self sufficient.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Most of the US's post civil war growth west of the Mississippi was spurred by railroads and railroad subsidies, in effect, sprawl.

What towns there are out there are all cookie cutter railroad towns, which if you've passed through any of the dead/dying small towns they've all got the same layout vibe and street names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viTTRd8iP8

Capitalist grift with little regard for the people living here has been afflicting the US since pretty much the beginning. They weren't really railroad companies, they were pretty much real estate companies that happened to build railroads to make the land they had gotten for basically free from the government have value. Sold all the land and then oopsie daisy now the railroads aren't profitable, have fun in your isolated town with little/no rail service. Enter the car because rail service was bad, aaaaaand here we are today.

e.pilot has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Dec 10, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, railroad towns are pretty much "small town" America the type of place Disney modeled "Main Street USA" after. It just interstates killed them off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
American railroads were essentially a grift that funneled the money of Americans into the pockets of a select few, for more information read "Iron Empires: Robber Barons, Railroads, and the Making of Modern America" by Michael Hiltzik. I think the book kinda sucks but it gets the point across, mostly

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

American railroads were essentially a grift that funneled the money of Americans into the pockets of a select few, for more information read "Iron Empires: Robber Barons, Railroads, and the Making of Modern America" by Michael Hiltzik. I think the book kinda sucks but it gets the point across, mostly

were? still are

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Were they meaningfully worse than the rest of America in that regard? Because that's just capitalism

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot posted:

Capitalist grift with little regard for the people living here has been afflicting the US since pretty much the beginning.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bike tory posted:

*New York Times voice*

Here's how cars and roading projects are leading the fight against climate change.

Enjoy our other headlines:

Analysis: Could climate pressures see the internal combustion engine make a comeback?

The Ten Greenest Highways in America

Long Read: I used to think cars were the problem. But then I looked into how people actually use them.

Is walking really zero emissions? The hidden costs of pedestrian infrastructure.

Opinion: There's a big green elephant in the room. It's time we talked about it.

We hear from three experts on how cycling can actually increase total carbon emissions.

Perfect

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my parents were telling me about the aftermath of this traffic collision they happened upon the other day on a country road nearby. from off in the distance they could see 2 or 3 cop cars parked off to the side behind an SUV with a crumpled bumper and hood, and then off in the ditch were the mangled remains of one of those standing bikes that, at least around here, you only see the Amish riding. They said the bike's condition was very bad and had horrifying implications for the victim
They've been checking the news but can't find anything that even mentions the incident

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People drive like dicks around the Amish. I watched a guy tailgate one of their carriages once. There were little kids riding in the back meekly waving at him as he beared down on them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Were they meaningfully worse than the rest of America in that regard? Because that's just capitalism

The thing that sets 19th century railroads apart from other businesses like shoemakers or whatever is that the US government gave them such massive handouts, like those rights of way someone else mentioned, also up to and including murdering many of our nation's indigenous peoples so that the railroads could be put down across the landscape

Apr 7, 2003

The thing that sets 19th century railroads apart from other businesses like shoemakers or whatever is that the US government gave them such massive handouts, like those rights of way someone else mentioned, also up to and including murdering many of our nation's indigenous peoples so that the railroads could be put down across the landscape

Railroads, today, in the 21st century, still own all the rights of way they were given back then. The ones that were turned into bike trails here in the northeast are "banked," ie the minute the railroads think they can make money off those routes again they can claw them back.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

e.pilot posted:

were? still are

Railroads aren't exactly making an impact on today's USA, are they?

It makes sense that drivers hate the Amish though, they're effectively the anti-car cult

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BonHair posted:

um

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

BonHair posted:

Read the news recently?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Read the news recently?

Actually no, on account of I don't live there. I just generally gathered that transportation in USA has moved to cars and trucks, making trains more or less irrelevant to the economy and most people.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BonHair posted:

Actually no, on account of I don't live there. I just generally gathered that transportation in USA has moved to cars and trucks, making trains more or less irrelevant to the economy and most people.

lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

the us moves millions of tons of raw materials in the back of steve's pickup

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

oh buddy if you wanna get real real mad read literally anything about "precision scheduled railroading"

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
one of the very few areas where europe is „ahead“ of the us is getting rid of cargo rail traffic and moving all of it to trucks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eXXon posted:

"Fun" "facts": Newark Liberty's rickety piece of poo poo SkyTrain technically works most of the time and cost $350M in 1986. Its replacement is projected to cost over $2B (before inevitable overruns) for a whopping 2.5 miles of new elevated track. That's about 50x more expensive than a continuous train of Tesla Model 3s.

Sorry buddy we only eminent domain poo poo for expressways

There are plenty of pre-automobile rural towns in the northeast, they're just all walkable within themselves with regards to day to day needs. Pre-1940s you had rail links between these towns and eventually to larger cities.

The sort of "rural living" that people think about when they think about "rural living," everyone living on large plots in low density areas, is a creation of the automobile era.

I mean throughout most of history the population density of rural (re: agrarian, not wilderness) areas was probably relatively high because it was super labor intensive and lol most of these dirt farmers aren't riding horses plus the plots would have been smaller. Mechanization and consolidation (of smaller farms into giant industrial operations) are probably huge drivers for all sorts of insane beliefs that don't jive with history. I'd bet money that there's an inverse relationship between mechanization and rural collective identity as the ability for a single family to cultivate hundreds or even thousands of acres became possible thanks to machinery. The funny thing is they're still utterly dependent on supply chains to keep those machines fueled and maintained as well as (frequently) itinerant labor to harvest it quickly, competently and cheaply but farmers have honestly always been a pretty stupid lot.

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 10:35 on Dec 11, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

burlington vt: lets add a mile long freeway on-ramp to our downtown center

i will never stop being mad about this project and the city's insanely stupid defenses of it, and i'm upset with you for reminding me of it while i am on vacation

weird guy
Jul 19, 2022

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

Bahahahahahaha

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BonHair posted:

:rubby:

https://theintercept.com/2022/12/11/how-militant-rank-and-file-railroad-caucuses-grabbed-the-nations-attention/

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

passenger rail is irrelevant to most people, cargo rail is extremely important for the economy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

most people who don't work in logistics probably only interact with trains via their trips being delayed by at-grade crossings. to which i say: good.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Love an at grade crossing and I smile in childlike wonder at the train as it passes by each time it stops me

But I ride a bike, so

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

passenger rail is irrelevant to most people, cargo rail is extremely important for the economy

What a strange thread to learn that USA is ahead of the curve on cargo rail, compared to the much more American solution of cargo trucks. Sorry for being uninformed.

I am however completely unsurprised that you've managed to capitalism it into being poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BonHair posted:

What a strange thread to learn that USA is ahead of the curve on cargo rail, compared to the much more American solution of cargo trucks. Sorry for being uninformed.

I am however completely unsurprised that you've managed to capitalism it into being poo poo.

Yeah, I don't know the history of how we ended up here but apparently that's part of why we don't have good commuter rail in the US. Cargo rail gets priority and if there's a conflict the commuter train has to move aside and wait while the cargo train passes by. I took the train to Washington DC once and half the time we were sitting still waiting for something. It took forever.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Dec 11, 2022