Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hopeandjoy posted:

My 6.2 opinion is:

Zero hot.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

The number one thing about the Void storyline that fans seem to want the most from what I've seen on Twitter is for Zero and Yshtola to kiss

Me. Want them to kiss me.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Me. Want them to kiss me.

Zero, Y'shtola, or both?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Here ya go!

https://www.dexerto.com/final-fantasy/ffxiv-producer-yoshi-p-story-final-fantasy-xiv-1897431/

E: the earth shattering event isn't mentioned, but I do remember reading that somewhere. I could be misrembering it though. The article does talk about how this cycle is different though

I don't remember which interview it was either, but YoshiP definitely said there's going to be some kind of big event that's going to kick off the next storyline.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty exhausted with void stuff at this point and having no nostalgia for FFIV makes this patch cycle a bit of a drag for me. The raid/alliance stuff has been great as usual but the MSQ just hasn't really done it for me. In previous X.1-5 cycles you could at least count on any particular storyline you aren't interested in being wrapped up by X.3 and getting something new, but as someone who simply doesn't care about the Thirteenth very much as it's been shown I feel like I'm stuck not caring about the story until 2024 (I'm assuming 7.0 will be that January or something). I think I'm pretty alone on this though because I never really see anyone talk badly about the current storyline - and it's not bad exactly, it's just not something I'm very interested in and it's taking up a huge amount of IRL time to get through.

Hopefully we get a good rear end Gridania theme in the upcoming raid though

Eh, I just think it's fine. Don't care about dragons or FF4 so a lot of it is wasted on me. I am liking learning about the void but Zero is 2 overdone tropes slapped together and called a character and it's already starting to bore so I hope she progresses on the obvious arc of learning the value of friendship and cooperation so they can move on to doing something interesting with her and not drag out being detrimentally mercenary for 3 more patch cycles.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Zero, Y'shtola, or both?

all of the above

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The best thing about the Void is how you go in thinking it's going to be Doom but it turns out it's Shin Megami Tensei. Just turning the corner and seeing a Dullahan on horseback, hanging out indoors on the carpet, saying things like "Man, I'm so hungry... I could eat a horse! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it'd be cool if it was Doom though, and the WoL has a super shotgun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd be disappointed in the Void storyline if they weren't leaning into the weird. A lot of the conceptual stuff about how the Void works is really interesting, and they seem inclined to acknowledge it instead of just dropping some fact that seems really important and never addressing it.

I'm also curious just how long these ideas have been around the writers' room. The whole thing about voidsent never actually dying completely tracks and makes every other voidsent-related storyline make a lot more sense, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been in the story bible but never brought up until now. ...But also I'm not sure FFXIV's writers are the type to hold that kind of fact back when they have it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Zero, Y'shtola, or both?

Both. In front of Magnai, after having given Sadu a bowl of popcorn.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Zero is my goth girlfriend and I swear to god if yoshi p makes us fight her :argh:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

hopeandjoy posted:

My 6.2 opinion is:

Zero hot.

I think the word you looking for is called Cold.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I take a screenshot of the confirmation box every time I put in a housing bid to keep track of the result date, and I got curious and decided to check the earliest one I could find to see how long I've been attempting to get one. The earliest screenshot I could find was from loving July. At least five months of constant attempts with nothing to show for it. :negative:

I remember when I first started wanting to get a house I barely had a mil in my pocket, which spiraled me down a path of trying to figure out how people actually made money in this game. I ended up becoming an omnicrafter, not to craft things and sell them, but because at the time I wanted to desynth all my extra stuff for easy cash. Now I have enough to bid on medium houses so I can lose on those too.

Sorry to rant, I'm just frustrated.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Twibbit posted:

I think the word you looking for is called Cold.

tbf a large portion of the ffxiv community seems to have trouble telling the difference between hot and cold :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Wrist Watch posted:

I take a screenshot of the confirmation box every time I put in a housing bid to keep track of the result date, and I got curious and decided to check the earliest one I could find to see how long I've been attempting to get one. The earliest screenshot I could find was from loving July. At least five months of constant attempts with nothing to show for it. :negative:

I remember when I first started wanting to get a house I barely had a mil in my pocket, which spiraled me down a path of trying to figure out how people actually made money in this game. I ended up becoming an omnicrafter, not to craft things and sell them, but because at the time I wanted to desynth all my extra stuff for easy cash. Now I have enough to bid on medium houses so I can lose on those too.

Sorry to rant, I'm just frustrated.

Nothing to apologize for this is my exact story. Started in February, omnicrafting from day 1 and making a tidy penny selling one of each fashion glam from level 40+, mad about house lotteries for months now.

:sigh: I honestly wonder how the new wards next year work. It'll still be a lottery, so if 1+ person bids on that slot every week you can still lose and nothing stops jackasses from exploiting the system. Our odds will be significantly better as people get satisfied and stop bidding once they win but my hope has been beaten down.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't feel strongly about zero nor y'shtola.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Y’shtola is my personal least favorite Scion and I don’t think she’s THAT hot but Zero is the androgynous goth gf of my little bi dreams. I can fix her. I can teach her the power of friendship. And that curry is tasty.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Oneiros posted:

tbf a large portion of the ffxiv community seems to have trouble telling the difference between hot and cold :v:

I sure learned this grinding Delubrum Reginae with randos :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so i came across this Yoshitaka Amano artwork that i'd never seen before, it's the box art for the FFXIV 1.0 collector's edition, and i am trying to figure out who the heck this character is supposed to be! (other than garuda, of course)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

so i came across this Yoshitaka Amano artwork that i'd never seen before, it's the box art for the FFXIV 1.0 collector's edition, and i am trying to figure out who the heck this character is supposed to be! (other than garuda, of course)

It was originally probably meant to be the player character.

But was used as the boss design for the last raid in the Stormblood raid series.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kerrzhe posted:

Me, an idiot: Hey I have that box!

No idea who/what it is but it really is some pretty artwork and a nice box.

If it helps at all in your search the same character is on the back of the box in the XIV logo.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This isn't directed at ImpAtom or anything but I find it curious when people go off about how the only reason to play the generic human is cuz theyre boring cishet guys irl and how it's much more enlightened to play a sexy lady just completely ignore the fact that women exist who play male characters.
women who disagree with me/do things i dont dont exist, sorry

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Cephas posted:

The best thing about the Void is how you go in thinking it's going to be Doom but it turns out it's Shin Megami Tensei. Just turning the corner and seeing a Dullahan on horseback, hanging out indoors on the carpet, saying things like "Man, I'm so hungry... I could eat a horse! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

They had to make up for the alliance raid not being Shin Megami Tensei. (It totally should have been)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Manderville Gunblade looks like it has letters, but it doesn't match Eorzean script. Does it mean anything?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

The Manderville Gunblade looks like it has letters, but it doesn't match Eorzean script. Does it mean anything?

Looks like a blocky less stylised version of the font they use for the Hildibrand titles.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Me, an idiot: Hey I have that box!

No idea who/what it is but it really is some pretty artwork and a nice box.

If it helps at all in your search the same character is on the back of the box in the XIV logo.

I loved the callback to this in the seat of sacrifice fight.

Pyp
Jul 29, 2022
i think zero is kinda inoffensively bland so far & the fact that most people's reason to like her is thinking her design is cool and/or that shes hot tells me that im not just being biased (altho i will admit to being a bit biased anyway, i wish it was cyella and unukahai carrying on a void storyline and not a new character)

everything else about the void and especially the voidsent we meet is fun to me tho & its kinda carrying my enjoyment when zero as an individual character bores me, so i cant complain too much

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, Zero is, like... fine? She's a decent enough avatar (no pun intended) to serve as a guide to the Void and the history of the Thirteenth, but I'm not sure she's gotten enough personal characterization so far. I might also like her more if every discussion of her didn't boil down to "lady hot!!"

I do hope we get more SMT-style humanizing Voidsent weirdness and maybe more about the ecology. That's the stuff that's really keeping me interested in this patch cycle -- it's interesting and flavorful, and doing a good job with the game's overarching themes of "everyone's a person, yes, even that ambulatory slime-eye, that's a person right there"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My like of Zero is mostly that she's interesting as a character, she's an interesting take on the sort of person you'd assume to be in that position, and I like that her deameanor is just alien enough.

Aesthetically, I like that she's a badass lady who kicks rear end alongside us. Unfortunately the reason that's special is the same reason why I don't want to get too attached, those characters (outside of Alisaie and Y'shtola) have an awful tencency of either dying or getting into politics. And Zero doesn't seem the political type.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

My like of Zero is mostly that she's interesting as a character, she's an interesting take on the sort of person you'd assume to be in that position, and I like that her deameanor is just alien enough.

I liked that they managed to cram a ton of her characterization into a single patch, which is necessary for the sort of breakneck pace storytelling they have to do to wrap up the whole arc before 7.0. They drop enough hints that the whole cynical aloof loner thing is just an act (her agreeing to help out for the frivolous reason of getting a name, her hideaway of pacifists, her overexerting herself fighting, etc.) that they don't have to spend a ton of time or effort setting up her gradually defrosting and doing the whole fish-out-of-water routine once she's in the Source, but it's also told with sufficient subtlety that it doesn't feel forced.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I still imagine Estinien's sitting there looking at Zero thinking "what an emotionless twerp" and completely missing the irony.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vermain posted:

I liked that they managed to cram a ton of her characterization into a single patch, which is necessary for the sort of breakneck pace storytelling they have to do to wrap up the whole arc before 7.0. They drop enough hints that the whole cynical aloof loner thing is just an act (her agreeing to help out for the frivolous reason of getting a name, her hideaway of pacifists, her overexerting herself fighting, etc.) that they don't have to spend a ton of time or effort setting up her gradually defrosting and doing the whole fish-out-of-water routine once she's in the Source, but it's also told with sufficient subtlety that it doesn't feel forced.

Yeah, there's a sort of quiet quality to her writing that I can really appreciate even if it's not something that comes immediately to mind. It's the sort of writing you see a lot in the side content like raid storylines (the closest comparison is probably Mide from Alexander), but it turns out importing that approach to the main story with its larger cutscene budget and story flexibility works really well for making a likeable and interesting character REALLY fast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

it'd be cool if it was Doom though, and the WoL has a super shotgun

MCH's scattershot->scattergun is like the best upgrade in the game and I get sad whenever I get something in DR that downgrades it back to scattershot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I know MCH is weak this patch cycle, but it's still one of the most viscerally fun classes to play IMHO. Drill will never not feel great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bruceski posted:

Its the same script you see on the small decorative arm plates of the Allegience Coat, same letters even, so maybe its Bozjan?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its the same script you see on the small decorative arm plates of the Allegience Coat, same letters even, so maybe its Bozjan?

Ooo, good eye. Is that the Manderville Gunblade dyed in this shot or another one because it looks like the same model. A lot of the weapons look almost but not quite like old models.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The weapon looks like the manderville blade dyed white.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yup, its the M.Gunblade dyed pure white, cause I like my gunblades shiny and silver.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I think Zero's fine as a character. I don't need every character to shatter molds and break tropes. Just give me moments like when she wakes up and sees Nidhana.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

I think Zero's fine as a character. I don't need every character to shatter molds and break tropes. Just give me moments like when she wakes up and sees Nidhana.

Give me more Nidhana scenes in general, she's secretly in the top three Endwalker characters.