Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Weird question: I tried using trainerroad on my phone but I had this weird issue where the power would go up to the goal, then drop, Over and over. I looked and my laptop was still running tr. when I quit the program on my laptop my phone was fine and tr behaved normally in erg mode. Sounds like both were trying to connect I guess? Even though I wasn’t running a workout on my laptop?

After playing with this more, apparently, yes, that's exactly what's happening, so no, you can't have TR open in the background even if you're not using it.

edit: what a lovely page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Residency Evil posted:

After playing with this more, apparently, yes, that's exactly what's happening, so no, you can't have TR open in the background even if you're not using it.

edit: what a lovely page snipe

I think all the desktop apps are aggressive about making a BT or ANT connection if they're open even if inactive.

I just use it on my desktop app since the phone app doesn't support group workouts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bicievino posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean - do you mean finding the actual events, or just having a place to talk about how to train for them, prepare, etc?

If the former - I tend to rely on word of mouth. I realize that's not super helpful, but if you don't have people telling you about bike stuff 24/7 already you could go to a bike shop and ask about things there.

If the latter - if you've got a route map for an event I bet folks here would be happy to post at you about what you can do to train for it.
All of the above. Like I said, I've picked out a variety of rides to train for, but I'm just getting (back) into riding and the Zwift hilly route 5.7mi kicked my rear end this morning. The girls are achievable, I guess I'm just looking for a more lively discussion oriented towards events.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

All of the above. Like I said, I've picked out a variety of rides to train for, but I'm just getting (back) into riding and the Zwift hilly route 5.7mi kicked my rear end this morning. The girls are achievable, I guess I'm just looking for a more lively discussion oriented towards events.

Is the Salida event in CO? What’s the 7k climb?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Is the Salida event in CO? What’s the 7k climb?
Yes, CO.
https://www.salida76.com/
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38495510

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 11, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Asked in e-bike thread as well, but curious if there is anyway to get consumer access to the smartfit program? Basically I’d like to plug in my measurements and see what bikes actually fit, since regrettably they are not very normal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Don't mean to turn this into a bike fitting thread, but I was wondering if I could get a couple pointers on my fit. I've ridden about 400 miles with this setup between outdoors and on the trainer, and I feel pretty good about it apart from how stretched out I feel on the hoods. I'm 6', and the frame is 56cm (I believe) with a 110mm stem. Does this look overextended? I can drop my chest a little bit to get some bend in the elbows, but it doesn't feel natural and I never end up riding that way for very long. Could a shorter stem make a difference?
(Spoilered for pasty gross legs)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ah 7k total over the whole day. 7k continuously is not common out here. Beautiful area and I bet that’s a fun ride.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

Don't mean to turn this into a bike fitting thread, but I was wondering if I could get a couple pointers on my fit. I've ridden about 400 miles with this setup between outdoors and on the trainer, and I feel pretty good about it apart from how stretched out I feel on the hoods. I'm 6', and the frame is 56cm (I believe) with a 110mm stem. Does this look overextended? I can drop my chest a little bit to get some bend in the elbows, but it doesn't feel natural and I never end up riding that way for very long. Could a shorter stem make a difference?
(Spoilered for pasty gross legs)

I'd look into a different handlebar. What you have is an anatomic dropbar which is meant to be used ends of the drops roughly parallel to the ground. This means a drop to the hoods from where the bar clamps. You've rotated them up to make the top part more comfortable but in doing so have wildly extended the reach of the bars or made the hoods a lot further away. I'd try a compact drop bar of some sort.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Havana Affair posted:

I'd look into a different handlebar. What you have is an anatomic dropbar which is meant to be used ends of the drops roughly parallel to the ground. This means a drop to the hoods from where the bar clamps. You've rotated them up to make the top part more comfortable but in doing so have wildly extended the reach of the bars or made the hoods a lot further away. I'd try a compact drop bar of some sort.

^^

This. But also that is a very aggressive looking Cannondale with lots of spacers and a flipped up bar. Ideally he'd be on a 58cm + the recommended shorter reach bars and probably shorter stem too.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

EvilJoven posted:

Facebook, mostly. As horrible a platform it is for boomer/chud idiocy it's still the best tool for organizing events like club rides and the like.

For more chill events like bike jams and alley cats it's usually on insta. Mostly as reels that expires because it makes it slightly less likely to be harshed by narcs.

I installed a plugin called social fixer that turns Facebook back into a place to keep in touch with friends and local events without any of the clickbait crap and other stuff meant to keep you scrolling forever.

It doesn't work on phone so the very odd time I use FB on it I go straight to the groups tab and ignore everything else. Still, I'm hoping something a replacement comes along.

Thanks for all the advice everybody, had a blast on my first group ride in years. EvilJoven is spot-on, I moved out to more rural area with lots of trucks and bros, but found the local bike club on Facebook and even a smaller gravel group after wanting to find more local routes. The bike club is mostly middle-aged/older people but they were very nice and supportive in person, and really responsive/active on Facebook. The C Group ride was no-drop and pretty chaotic in terms of speed/expectation, but a little slow for my tastes, and they had a 20-25 minute coffee break after the first hour which made me get cold again (temp is 40-50F where I'm riding) which I wasn't a fan of. I might try my hand at the B group ride and message some expectations ahead of time. It was really cool to see there's actually solid local group of riders in my area.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

I’ve ridden a bit of that, though I haven’t been that far north on those roads. The initial climb out of Salida is indeed a rough one, then those roads just kind of roll. It’s a really beautiful area that most people haven’t seen unless they’ve ridden that portion of the Divide route. I would bring a pretty good climbing gear.

For discussion, you might find other people planning to ride it on the Colorado Gravel Grinders group on FB.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Ah 7k total over the whole day. 7k continuously is not common out here. Beautiful area and I bet that’s a fun ride.
7k as a single climb would be literally insane.

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’ve ridden a bit of that, though I haven’t been that far north on those roads. The initial climb out of Salida is indeed a rough one, then those roads just kind of roll. It’s a really beautiful area that most people haven’t seen unless they’ve ridden that portion of the Divide route. I would bring a pretty good climbing gear.

For discussion, you might find other people planning to ride it on the Colorado Gravel Grinders group on FB.
I'll look into that fb group.

The plan is FoCo fondo (33mi) + tour of the moon (45'ish) for 2023, then longer FoCo and the shorter Salida (76km instead of miles) for '24, then FoCo 100mi and the full Salida for '25. Salida before I turn 40 would be the main goal. FoCo would be for fun. Would probably throw steamboat gravel in there at some point, and mix in some other events. Could probably get there quicker, but this meets my goals and will keep me interested for longer.

Wife isn't a cyclist really, but we're getting her a treadmill so she can train towards a half marathon (for late '23 probably). We've both put on significant weight since settling down and want to get back in shape.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 11, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Evergreen to the top of Evans will get you about 6400 :getin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ilkhan posted:

laughs in haleakala

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bud Manstrong posted:

still want to shuttle the barr trail next summer with you guys :hmmyes:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
https://strava.app.link/MykRrr8iGvb
This is one of my goal climbs for whenever we get a chance to travel out that way. 14,000' all in one go.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ilkhan posted:

I've ridden more than 5k of continuous climbing (from Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge in WA, you start with your wheel in the Pacific Ocean and ride uphill to about 5300') but there are plenty bigger. There are a couple climbs on the Hawaiian volcanoes that have more than 9k of continuous climbing. https://www.tourofcalifornia.org/2008/01/top-bike-climbs-in-america.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bud Manstrong posted:

Thinking about doing this as a training ride next year if I end up doing the triple bypass with my friend. I hear the road from echo lake up to Mt Evans is kind of lovely?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

e.pilot posted:

laughs in haleakala

definitely one of the best rides i've ever done

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I've already got a normal adjuster on the RD, on my matching drivetrain, what is the point of this little fella:

Is it one of those 'features' that make a spec sheet look more enticing while doing absolutely nothing or is there some reason you'd want to have a stepped adjuster on the down tube in addition to the barrel adjuster on the RD?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Slavvy posted:

If I've already got a normal adjuster on the RD, on my matching drivetrain, what is the point of this little fella:

Is it one of those 'features' that make a spec sheet look more enticing while doing absolutely nothing or is there some reason you'd want to have a stepped adjuster on the down tube in addition to the barrel adjuster on the RD?

It's so you can make minor tweaks while riding without stopping.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slavvy posted:

You can tweak it while riding, or without getting out of the saddle while stopped.

I’ve done both with my steel audax bike.

It also gives you more scope for adjustment without having to loosen the cable and pull more through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

It's so you can make minor tweaks while riding without stopping.

Why would I want to do this? Cable stretching or something? Every derailleur I've had has just sort of worked fine after you set everything up initially, no mid ride tweaking needed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Idk sometimes things just need a quarter turn of the barrel after a couple thousand miles, or maybe right after maintenance getting it dialed in again

it’s rare but convenient to be able adjust it mid ride, and having it there isn’t hurting anything so it’s chill

yours do look extra chonky, have those been converted from DT shifters? theres likely sleeker options for both the cable stops and the barrel adjusters if that’s what is bothering you, or you can also remove the barrels if you want next time you recable

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 12, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Anywhere on the front range up to the top of RMNP is exactly 7k (ignoring the soft bit past Estes Park town)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guinness posted:

Idk sometimes things just need a quarter turn of the barrel after a couple thousand miles, or maybe right after maintenance getting it dialed in again

it’s rare but convenient to be able adjust it mid ride, and having it there isn’t hurting anything so it’s chill

yours do look extra chonky, have those been converted from DT shifters? theres likely sleeker options for both the cable stops and the barrel adjusters if that’s what is bothering you, or you can also remove the barrels if you want next time you recable

Nah it doesn't bother me at all, the group set is from the era where brifters and DT shifters were options on the same set of parts and have to fit over the square brazed on frame lugs. I just wanted to know what the point was.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pikes from Manitou is just about 8k and it rules

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pikes from Manitou is just about 8k and it rules

I want to do that so bad but have exactly zero interest in riding up 24

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Thinking about doing this as a training ride next year if I end up doing the triple bypass with my friend. I hear the road from echo lake up to Mt Evans is kind of lovely?

It’s not the worst road, but the frost heave is pretty bad in spots. You’ll see it on the way up so you can remember it if you’re not overly hypoxic. The bad spots are a good bit above Echo. The worst of it is around Summit Lake, if I recall correctly.

Worth noting that there are two popular routes to Echo Lake; one goes up from Idaho Springs (this is the route the race takes), and the other goes from Evergreen. I highly recommend the latter. The grade is relatively pleasant the whole way to Echo and more importantly, the visibility is a lot better. There are a lot fewer hairpins where drivers can cross the center line and mulch you.

It’s been a while since I’ve done it, and I’d like to ride it again next year. Timing it before the summit road opens to drivers is ideal.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
NN

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

sweat poteto posted:

Anywhere on the front range up to the top of RMNP is exactly 7k (ignoring the soft bit past Estes Park town)

Boulder to brainard is like 6k in 18ish miles. (Just as another example over shorter distance)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Y'all are scaring me with how easily you are coming up with examples.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Is there any good riding around Francis Marion & Sumter National Forests in SC? I've got a business trip in February. It's apparently it's in the teens which will feel down right hot when in the thick of another Winnipeg winter. I'm thinking of booking some me time packing my shoulder season gear and renting a bike for a few days.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

Y'all are scaring me with how easily you are coming up with examples.

Theres some really great riding out here! Pace, eat, drink, and bring a buddy. Enjoy it!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bud Manstrong posted:

It’s not the worst road, but the frost heave is pretty bad in spots. You’ll see it on the way up so you can remember it if you’re not overly hypoxic. The bad spots are a good bit above Echo. The worst of it is around Summit Lake, if I recall correctly.

Worth noting that there are two popular routes to Echo Lake; one goes up from Idaho Springs (this is the route the race takes), and the other goes from Evergreen. I highly recommend the latter. The grade is relatively pleasant the whole way to Echo and more importantly, the visibility is a lot better. There are a lot fewer hairpins where drivers can cross the center line and mulch you.

It’s been a while since I’ve done it, and I’d like to ride it again next year. Timing it before the summit road opens to drivers is ideal.

Good to know. I rode from Bergen park to echo lake back in October before it got cold. Is there another good way from evergreen?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I want to do that so bad but have exactly zero interest in riding up 24

It loving sucks rear end and I wouldn't do it again. There is either no shoulder, or when there is one it's covered in sand. I think it was 45mph speed limit but lol nobody is doing that. I had stayed in town so was able to leave my car at the hotel. Ripping down 24 on the way back into town is primo though, it's straight enough that you never need to brake and if you can catch a passing car just right you can sit in the draft and stay at traffic speeds

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Golden, CO to Echo Lake is a nice easy 6k of climbing. I've done that before. Adding on Mt Evans summit, gets you to nearly 10k ft gain. 5,700ft elevation to 14,100ft.

Road from Echo up to the summit is pretty broken and bumpy, but not that bad. It's the wind that has thwarted both of my attempts.

ilkhan posted:

The plan is FoCo fondo (33mi) + tour of the moon (45'ish) for 2023, then longer FoCo and the shorter Salida (76km instead of miles) for '24, then FoCo 100mi and the full Salida for '25. Salida before I turn 40 would be the main goal. FoCo would be for fun. Would probably throw steamboat gravel in there at some point, and mix in some other events. Could probably get there quicker, but this meets my goals and will keep me interested for longer.

How much you riding a week?

I got into SBT GRVL for next year, but have a conflict. Need to figure that out.

dema fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 12, 2022

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
My A-fib was corrected a few weeks ago and I have only 2 more days of blood thinners prescribed. So that means I get to ride outside again AND have a normal heart rhythm on Saturday. It will be awesome even though I will be totally slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Golden, CO to Echo Lake is a nice easy 6k of climbing. I've done that before. Adding on Mt Evans summit, gets you to nearly 10k ft gain. 5,700ft elevation to 14,100ft.

Road from Echo up to the summit is pretty broken and bumpy, but not that bad. It's the wind that has thwarted both of my attempts.

How much you riding a week?

I got into SBT GRVL for next year, but have a conflict. Need to figure that out.

Yeah, I want to try to do Mt. Evans at one point. Maybe a Bike Megathread Bergen -> Mt Evans attempt? Or Echo Lake -> Mt Evans attempt?

At some point I will use Steamboat Gravel as an excuse to buy a gravel bike.