Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

Pretty much anything that doesn't use a liquid and/or a vacuum is snake oil bullshit. I've heard from people that the wood glue method works but never first hand. I personally wouldn't try it because it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and more importantly there's a high potential for it to leave behind residue that ends up on the stylus.
Wood glue was my main method of cleaning records before getting a generic spin-clean. It is a massive pain in the rear end, and takes too long a time, but it does a good job of grabbing and lifting nastiness out of the grooves. Creates static when peeling the dried glue off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

How do you like them?

They sound great, but they're also the only pair of larger speakers I've ever owned (or technically inherited from my dad who bought them new in like 89-ish).

As long as they still work, I feel no need to upgrade tbh.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
When you work at a press plant, the holiday party all-vinyl White Elephant gets pretty aggressive. At various points I held a nice clean copy of Electric Warrior, the 2000 reissue of Enter the Wu-Tang, and Otis Redding & Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop before ending with Think Pink by Twink. I was nowhere near the most stolen-from participant. Lots of great albums moving around, plus a few gags like a CB radio themed comp from the 70s and the Star Wars soundtrack. I contributed the Sweeping Promises LP (it's a good'n).

Of course, the real star of the night was the pallet jack loaded up with beer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Found this guy using a record de-warpifier thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHfylB-u_QU

It's about US$300.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

I only have the couple of LPs they released outside of the box. I do take a lot of joy having the Anal Trump EP right up against Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

:hfive:

Though I would hesitate to call Anal Trump an EP, let alone an LP. More like a 12" A-side with 100 "songs"

Bread Dragon posted:

When you work at a press plant, the holiday party all-vinyl White Elephant gets pretty aggressive. At various points I held a nice clean copy of Electric Warrior, the 2000 reissue of Enter the Wu-Tang, and Otis Redding & Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop before ending with Think Pink by Twink. I was nowhere near the most stolen-from participant. Lots of great albums moving around, plus a few gags like a CB radio themed comp from the 70s and the Star Wars soundtrack. I contributed the Sweeping Promises LP (it's a good'n).

Of course, the real star of the night was the pallet jack loaded up with beer.

I would sit it out rather than participate, but maybe I'm just tainted from its depiction in the Office.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 12, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I only have the couple of LPs they released outside of the box. I do take a lot of joy having the Anal Trump EP right up against Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

I got lucky and picked up my copy at a show a few years back. Took a few beers to talk myself into it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does the turntable not have one of those speed lamp thingies?

Do those have a name?

It's a little strobe light. Manufacturers have really missed out on the opportunity to build in one that can be cranked to turn your entire room into a rave at a moments notice.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Need to change needle on one of my cartridges (Shure M44G). I'm finally out of real/old stock spares. Does anyone know if I can just slap a N44-7 stylus on it? The M44G has a tracking force of 0.75g to 1.5g, the N-447 runs at 1.5g to 3g. So do I just run that at 1.125g to 2.25g? Just want to figure out how to squeeze out the best sound from that for DJ use.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

United States of America is a stone cold classic, and yeah Joe Byrd did a bunch of other stuff that's mostly of interest to avant-garde/experimental music folks but it's real cool

See, you can still find cool stuff with the right attitude.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm really surprised at all the Amazon shipping issues people have run into. I've ordered probably 20+ albums from there over the years, and each has come in the typical cardboard record mailer that everyone else uses. Never had a problem with a warped record. Maybe some distribution centers are better than others, or I've just been really lucky.

I've never gotten a warped record but of the dozen I've gotten from there I think all but 2 have been packed/shipped so poorly the cover would have at least one big dent in it

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
also re: cleaning records there was a time last year when ultrasonics were pretty cheap so I grabbed one for $150. it's nice and the cleaning agent I use (Tergikleen) is apparently very good. some records it's really cleaned up, others, particularly new ones, still have the same clicks they came with. are these just bad pressings or can something be done? I'm talking about records that, fresh out of the shrink, will still have bits where it'll click for 6-10 rotations at various spots. I guess that's just the magic of vinyl but I'm wondering if you can actually get that out somehow.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JAMOOOL posted:

also re: cleaning records there was a time last year when ultrasonics were pretty cheap so I grabbed one for $150. it's nice and the cleaning agent I use (Tergikleen) is apparently very good. some records it's really cleaned up, others, particularly new ones, still have the same clicks they came with. are these just bad pressings or can something be done? I'm talking about records that, fresh out of the shrink, will still have bits where it'll click for 6-10 rotations at various spots. I guess that's just the magic of vinyl but I'm wondering if you can actually get that out somehow.

That sounds like a scratch

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are the cheap-ish ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon (like this) any good? I'm apparently hard to shop for, but thought this might be a decent gift idea to upgrade from the SpinClean I've got.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It (and the 25% cheaper knob version) are returnable until late January so you could buy one, check it out, and report back with no loss to yourself if you wanted to be the guinea pig here :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That sounds like a scratch

indeed but it ain't. or if it is it's not a visible one.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My friend with a record store has set up a digital storefront: https://shepardrecords.com/

It's very indie focused with a good amount of early pressings of records from groups like Big Star and Modern Lovers.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Where da hot stampers at?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
This thread will appreciate the turn this Tik Tok takes at the end:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVQGx9M/

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

VladimirLeninpest posted:

lmao

speaking of, i meant to post this a few weeks ago when i visited the record shoppe for small business saturday

marjorie
May 4, 2014

pwn posted:

lmao

speaking of, i meant to post this a few weeks ago when i visited the record shoppe for small business saturday

I love that I can recognize it just by that "g" font.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

VladimirLeninpest posted:

The whole video feels like a bit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

After a month and a half in the mail it finally arrived

Billy Woods - Aethiopes. A very strong contender for my album of the year.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I figured this was a fun read for anyone like me (AKA those taking a break from sacrificing people to Satan to get a Sims 1 OST on vinyl):

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qveqew/the-untold-story-of-the-sims-your-first-favorite-jazz-record

quote:

The music for the game's Build Mode—composed by Martin alongside Doobie Brothers saxophonist Marc Russo and jazz pianist John R Burr—was made up of instrumental, new age, lone-piano pieces. The six songs eased into your headphones as soon as you paused time to do some ambitious landscaping or find the perfect roof. For a time in the early-2000s, millions of kids were listening to impressionistic, semi-improvised mood jazz without even knowing it.

Also a fun tidbit:

quote:

BusinessWire reported in 2005 that the original Sims had sold 16 million copies worldwide. Only four albums of original material released in 2000, the year The Sims hit shelves, have gone on to sell more copies: Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, Britney Spears's Oops!… I Did It Again, Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Backstreet Boys' Black & Blue. It's difficult to judge any record's true reach—radio and commercial play mean that those albums have had an impact beyond their sales figures. But Radiohead's Kid A, released that same year and long considered a seminal record, has sold around 1.5 million copies to date—roughly one-tenth of what The Sims has managed. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that more people have heard Jerry Martin's minimal jazz than Thom Yorke's measured howls on "Everything In Its Right Place."

They're not wrong...I'm like 85% certain I've never heard a Radiohead song. :kiddo: Meanwhile the Sims 1 OST is tattooed on my brain.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

quote:

They're not wrong...I'm like 85% certain I've never heard a Radiohead song. :kiddo: Meanwhile the Sims 1 OST is tattooed on my brain.

I'm sure you have heard a Radiohead song. They had some big hits. Songs like Creep, Karma Police and Paranoid Android have been in tons of TV, movies, and advertisements.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 15, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sporklift posted:

I'm sure you have heard a Radiohead song. They had some big hits. Songs like Creep, Karma Police and Paranoid Android have been in tons of TV, movies, and advertisements.

Just listened to these three: you're right that I've absolutely heard Creep (both on the radio and via covers), but Paranoid Android and Karma Police are definitely new to me! Never heard 'em before just now.

I'm not intending to be a smug hipster about this! :kiddo: There's just huge weird media blindspots I have (for example, I've managed to have never seen a Jeff Goldblum movie, including JP).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I’ve heard creep a million times and had it on the Pablo Honey cassette because I didn’t return my Columbia house selection of the month card in time, but I had to go out of my way to hear paranoid android a long rear end time ago (pretty sure the music video was briefly on MTV) and didn’t care for it. I don’t recall hearing Radiohead anywhere else unless they’ve been in movie soundtracks/Advertisements I wasn’t aware of. There’s plenty of popular musicians that have managed to do OK without getting much forced exposure.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I've accidentally severely embarrassed myself before by getting Radiohead and Deftones confused.

...They sound completely different! :ohdear:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Read After Burning posted:

I've managed to have never seen a Jeff Goldblum movie, including JP).
There's only one answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTJskpL_Bsc

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Read After Burning posted:

Just listened to these three: you're right that I've absolutely heard Creep (both on the radio and via covers), but Paranoid Android and Karma Police are definitely new to me! Never heard 'em before just now.

I'm not intending to be a smug hipster about this! :kiddo: There's just huge weird media blindspots I have (for example, I've managed to have never seen a Jeff Goldblum movie, including JP).

I’m pretty sure liking Radiohead is actually on the smug hipster pre-test, you can’t really be one unless you have opinions in OK Computer

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I also love vaporwave and most of its various genres, and depending on who you ask, that may be the ultimate hipster poo poo. :P

Anyway, have a few recent grabs (I've slowed down on my record collecting over the past six months or so; my partner and I are super focused on saving for our own place right now, which is both :dance: and :ohdear:):

Used from Metavinyl:

Light in the Attic coming through with the Pharoah Sanders:

Speaking of vaporwave, this album is loving dope (minus one song, not a fan of track 5)

And one of my favorite album covers in recent memory, here's some Oblique Occasions (barbershop beats *)

* Think hiphop beats mixed with lounge music...some of the Persona game soundtracks (particularly the Tarturus theme from P3) kinda remind me of this.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell Yeah Pharoah Sanders.

Hell yeah 26-minute version of Poopship Destroyer.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

sporklift posted:

I like the one about the sardines in a can personally

Still prefer Tool overall though

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Couple of codes, autechre LP5 and OK Computer

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Thom Yorke perpetually has this expression on his face like he just smelled a fart while somehow also looking like he is made of farts.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

CPL593H posted:

Thom Yorke perpetually has this expression on his face like he just smelled a fart while somehow also looking like he is made of farts.
You’re… not wrong actually.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Radiohead is a good band. I only have In Rainbows on “vinyl” now (and their live album I guess) but really that’s the best one so it’s all I need (that’s a joke) (because there is a song on that album named All I Need)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
In Rainbows is their masterwork.

Although I envy anyone who has a pre-2008 Parlophone copy of OK Computer. Apparently after that point, the original master tapes were lost and so all the Capitol discs are just the CDs pressed on vinyl.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think it was the weekend before Kid A came out, MTV2 did a live stream of them playing the entire actual vinyl record. The video was just a hand coming in to do a needle drop and then a close shot of the record spinning. It was a completely mind blowing album for me, and I still have a mini-disc I recorded of that mtv2 show that I listened to constantly back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That album came out just after I graduated high school and it's all I listened to as I was lost in this stupid little world.