Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, he's talking about moving the character limit from 280 to 4000 characters, which basically kills whatever cachet the social media site had.

Twitter runs on "brevity is the soul of wit", it makes users have to summarize their thoughts, remove the cruft, and present the essentials.

It's why dril became so popular, he was posting these surreal jokes in a single sentence. Now, we'll get Babylon Bee posting an unfunny transphobic joke and then spend the next 3000 characters to explain why its funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol "see half the ads"

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Young Freud posted:

Twitter runs on "brevity is the soul of wit", it makes users have to summarize their thoughts, remove the cruft, and present the essentials.

I have bad news about both the wit and the brevity. 🧵 (1/27)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prism posted:

Kinda knew someone would bring up threads, but even the threads broken into 280 character chunks at least made people organize whatever data or point they're trying to convey, like an expository paragraph in an essay being emphasized.

But 4000 characters now means that people who don't have that discipline can just drop wall-of-text rants and manifestos. We'll probably see people dropping a copy & paste of the John Galt speech into the full 4000 limit, like we saw here, as a cheap joke.

Also, threaded tweets, because they were both connected and individual at the same time, meant they could go viral easier and, because of that connection, allowed people to go back to the original thread by following a rebuttal or someone QTing a synopsis. With tweets now being 15 times the size, you'll get less engagement compared to 15 tweets.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Old James posted:

Apple takes a 30% cut of purchases through their store (Google has a similar policy).

Previously that meant $8 * 30% = $2.40 to Apple
Now $11 * 30% = $3.30 to Apple

This actually helps Apple even more than before.

I thought they (Apple) didn’t allow you to charge different rates in iOS vs out of iOS. Wasn’t there some fight between them and Epic about this?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Prism posted:

Every time I see one of these I just think "why didn't this person just link off-site to a blog or literally anything other than a 50 tweet thread". I read like the first few tweets and twitter either tells me to log in or starts jamming in ads and I'm done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

funkymonks posted:

I thought they (Apple) didn’t allow you to charge different rates in iOS vs out of iOS. Wasn’t there some fight between them and Epic about this?

I thought so too but I couldn't find anything in the app store review guidelines about this. Maybe they were forced to drop it as part of the lawsuit outcome?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Elon un-banned the Krassenstein brothers. :shepicide:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He's gonna let the rich buy verified fleets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

funkymonks posted:

Epic's problem was that they put in an in-app option to bypass the App Store payment system altogether, and was really obviously picking a fight about it. Here's the example they gave of what their new in-app payment screen would look like:

Charging one price on iOS and another price on desktop is fine. Giving both prices as options to iOS users, on the other hand, is a blatant "gently caress you" to Apple.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

Epic's problem was that they put in an in-app option to bypass the App Store payment system altogether, and was really obviously picking a fight about it. Here's the example they gave of what their new in-app payment screen would look like:

The screen did briefly look like that, before Apple pulled the Fortnite app off the store for a very clear violation of what was at the time a total ban on directing users to non-Apple payment processors. This was exactly what Epic wanted, since it gave them a harm for the already-planned lawsuit

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Elon un-banned the Krassenstein brothers. :shepicide:

At last, they'll finally get to share their evidence that will lead to the immediate execution of Steve Bannon by the Marshall General of the Supreme Court :getin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

At last, they'll finally get to share their evidence that will lead to the immediate execution of Steve Bannon by the Marshall General of the Supreme Court :getin:
That's the wrong grifter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the wrong grifter

You're telling me Ed and Brian Krassenstein, Louise Mensch, Seth Abramson, and the 20comittee guy are somehow NOT just all the same person? :aaaaa:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's also Rick Wilson and the entire Lincoln Project

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's also Meidas Touch that's always given me Krassenstein/Lincoln Project vibes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's also Meidas Touch that's always given me Krassenstein/Lincoln Project vibes.
Yeah that, also Mueller She Wrote, which is the woman who got a PPP loan to make a blog or whatever

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

You're telling me Ed and Brian Krassenstein, Louise Mensch, Seth Abramson, and the 20comittee guy are somehow NOT just all the same person? :aaaaa:

Wait didn't Seth Abramson get shot over a leak or a laptop or something? Thought that went really hot on Reddit years ago before they banned trumpet people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

oliveoil posted:

Wait didn't Seth Abramson get shot over a leak or a laptop or something? Thought that went really hot on Reddit years ago before they banned trumpet people.

No, that's Seth Rich.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's also Rick Wilson and the entire Lincoln Project

Rick Wilson has at least had the decency to be really goddamn legitimately funny in addition to his grifting, so that mildly sets him apart from all the other yahoos.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nine-gear crow posted:

Rick Wilson has at least had the decency to be really goddamn legitimately funny in addition to his grifting, so that mildly sets him apart from all the other yahoos.

And he's also honest about exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat he is. There's no grift there, he lays it out in front of you. He's a conservative prick, he doesn't hide it, he just really hates Trump and he wants the pre-Trump GOP back.

I like him. I can deal with an honest rear end in a top hat. I can't stand a duplicitous rear end in a top hat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PT6A posted:

And he's also honest about exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat he is. There's no grift there, he lays it out in front of you. He's a conservative prick, he doesn't hide it, he just really hates Trump and he wants the pre-Trump GOP back.

I like him. I can deal with an honest rear end in a top hat. I can't stand a duplicitous rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, I'd take like 5 Rick Wilsons over like 1 Louise Mensch or George Conway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
For anyone who was wondering how long it would take for Musk to go full mask-off with his transphobia, here we gooooooo

I suspect there won't be much point in reporting misgendering on Twitter anymore.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

I suspect there won't be much point in reporting misgendering on Twitter anymore.

He'd already removed it from the list of things you could report, didn't he?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

For anyone who was wondering how long it would take for Musk to go full mask-off with his transphobia, here we gooooooo

Ok, what the gently caress is he talking about with the gain of function research killing millions of people? Is he implying that COVID was *created* out of it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

small butter posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is he talking about with the gain of function research killing millions of people? Is he implying that COVID was *created* out of it?

Yes. It’s a conspiracy theory that covid was produced in a bioweapons lab and then got out (accidentally or otherwise)

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

haveblue posted:

Yes. It’s a conspiracy theory that covid was produced in a bioweapons lab and then got out (accidentally or otherwise)

How would the origin of the virus affect what Fauci recommended to fight the pandemic?

Oh he's saying Fauci created covid.

Owling Howl fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

How much more of this are we going to have to endure and how much wilder is it going to get before we finally reach the grisly end of his Lowtax speedrun. Because this really feels like he's going to eventually shoot someone in the head with a shotgun, probably himself, the way he's going.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the nasty suspicion we've reached peak wild and now we're just watching the corpse decompose into it's final RedCap form.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Proof that no matter how rich you are, too much internet will destroy ya brain

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

How much more of this are we going to have to endure and how much wilder is it going to get before we finally reach the grisly end of his Lowtax speedrun. Because this really feels like he's going to eventually shoot someone in the head with a shotgun, probably himself, the way he's going.

Or maybe nothing happens and he just keeps being a massive shithead with no consequences while his stupid birdsite contributes more and more to trans genocide.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The "Twitter Whistleblower" has way more meat to it than the ridiculous "Twitter Files." A few highlights...

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602127460677844993?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602128747225923585?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602132853219004416?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602134420655599616?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602137767731159041?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

Link to full report:

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602137943149318144?s=20&t=7AemTePqfN33EfzWOmII5g

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I deleted my twitter account right after the musk buyout went through and have not been regretting that decision. If now isn't a good time to do that I don't know when it will be.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Musk made an appearance at a Dave Chappelle-Chris Rock show in San Francisco and was greeted with a stadium full of boos. As a result, anyone trying to tweet the video of the incident is having their accounts deleted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Musk made an appearance at a Dave Chappelle-Chris Rock show in San Francisco and was greeted with a stadium full of boos. As a result, anyone trying to tweet the video of the incident is having their accounts deleted.
Ah yes, ‘free speech’ wins again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Here's a video of it that's still live, for now:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveGoffman/status/1602229546383728640

Of course chances are this will just teach him not to step out of his bubble rather than to make any lasting meaningful change

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Of course chances are this will just teach him not to step out of his bubble rather than to make any lasting meaningful change

The quicker Musk goes Howard Hughes and starts wearing Kleenex boxes as footwear and collecting jars of his own urine and stewing in isolation, the better everyone will be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mercury_Storm posted:

I deleted my twitter account right after the musk buyout went through and have not been regretting that decision. If now isn't a good time to do that I don't know when it will be.

I see myself doing that pretty soon, I'm just trying to get a couple of more people to realize they can speak to people in ways outside of Twitter and then I'm giving up on them and done lol

I killed my Facebook account a few years ago, and when that happened I thought it was going to be very difficult to do since I used it constantly, but then about a week later I realized I wasn't even thinking about checking it. It really put in perspective for me how bad the signal/noise ratio is on that platform.

Twitter is a little more challenging because it got so ingrained in a lot of people thinking they need to preserve their brand/followes or whatever and can't leave and I've gotten some actual work through it now and then. Even with the writing on the wall for years that the number of people who are able to have their full time job be Twitter shitposts is pretty small.

But at the same time now that Musk has been so openly running the platform in favor of the shittiest people alive it's making it a lot easier to leave like, today, gently caress it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Wow, even people willing to go see a Dave Chappelle show think Elon Musk is one loathsome piece of poo poo too much for them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Same, and I've been a lot less angry about humanity now that I'm not doomscrolling through pithy takes on every outrage, outrage to the outrage, etc. Checked it out today and most people I follow are subtweeting about some Magic: The Gathering tournament drama and even reading replies and scrolling for ten minutes I can't figure out what everyone's mad about. Who needs that in their life?

I've checked out Facebook again, which I've used occasionally for events and wishing friends happy birthday, but got some unsettling reminders of how intrusive it is about spying. I've been seeing ads for things I've only had verbal discussions about. Yesterday my fiance wanted to wear a black dress, but it was covered in cat hair, so we were looking for our lint roller. Then I got a bunch of ads for some As Seen on TV marketed lint roller. No one opened their phone to search for a lint roller. That's not even the only event, it's too much to be a coincidence. Like I know that privacy is a thing of the past, but don't be so brazen about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've actually gone ahead and blocked twitter embeds at this point because at least half of them are bound to be some idiotic right-wing take by musk et al. and I'm just so tired of it.