Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
How do you get the gang tag? I've been waiting for the "release" of DF for fifteen years. It's very nostalgic!

I realize after having played the new version that there are QOL no-brainers that are lacking (and that modern takes on DF have done "better"). Still, there's a unique notion of the world being fully simulated that is unbeatable. I hope the bones of the game aren't too inscrutable for modders aiming to streamline certain aspects, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
it seems like tasks get executed way faster. Like building a wall and getting ramps and a bridge and levers up seemed like it took forever, hauling all your stone to a dump site, training dogs, all that stuff is happening quicker now it seems

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Any way to quickly designate furniture for deconstruction, like a bunch of beds or tables? there used to be hotkeys to select them > c > x or whatever, but now those don't work, and there's no box select for deconstruct that I've found.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Grei Skuring posted:

How do you get the gang tag? I've been waiting for the "release" of DF for fifteen years. It's very nostalgic!

I realize after having played the new version that there are QOL no-brainers that are lacking (and that modern takes on DF have done "better"). Still, there's a unique notion of the world being fully simulated that is unbeatable. I hope the bones of the game aren't too inscrutable for modders aiming to streamline certain aspects, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Just post a story about something cool or funny or interesting that happened in your game, and mention you want a tag :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, we're gonna be doing the gang tags for a couple more days. And it seems to me if you're going to accidentally lock a dwarf in somewhere, it might as well be the tavern.

Well, that story didn't end there. Immediately after my new goblin friend left, my tavern keeper went berserk. I told my army to kill him, and one of the militia attacked with the axe they chopped down trees with despite being a speardwarf.

The tavern keeper was equipped with a pick and was really good with it despite not being a miner, and pretty much took out the first militia with no issues. Another militia ran up to help but died immediately.

The berserk tavern keeper became shaken and started talking about death with every kill, saying it was truly horrifying.

Finally, a third dwarf, a 152 years old legendary clothier attacked. She disarmed him but he bit her toe, swinging it around until it came off. He then jumped at her head and bit that too, latching on.

After that, the clothier attacked the tavern keeper's head dozens of times, with repeating lines saying arteries and tendons in his skull were torn or opened. He finally died. Thankfully, the hospital was right next to the battle so the hero went and rested. She was scarred but somehow survived.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

How do you all deal with your gem encrusting workflow? I'm trying to get my gemcutter set up to encrust any furniture and finished goods of masterwork quality, but they just keep adding gems to the first barrel they threw on the bench. Is there a way to set up the jobs so that items that already have some amount of adornment won't be used as inputs for further work orders?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The mighty Cyclops Ida arrives! Finally a battle worthy of my trained military squad...

Oh, right, the cage traps.. Time to build a zoo, I guess.

(edit) actually, I'm gonna stick him in the tavern, he can be our mascot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
am I right in thinking that my lovely little fort with less than 50 dwarves that is endlessly besieged by agitated animals becoming a barony is not really a good sign for my civ

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr E posted:

The berserk tavern keeper became shaken and started talking about death with every kill, saying it was truly horrifying.

This is really creepy and I love it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a Grazer calculator somewhere? The wiki has a formula for it and like hell I can parse this:

The pre-calculated table doesn't list Turkeys but does list Red Pandas, who are the same max size as Turkeys and need a 2x1 pasture. That sounds small but what do I know?

turkeys don't require pasturing, they scavenge bugs out of the soil. i generally excavate 6x5 bird pens on a soil layer and stick my chickens, turkeys, peacocks, etc. in those with nest boxes for egg collection. you just have to be careful to separate males and females once you have enough hens to give a decent number of eggs or you'll have a birdsplosion that tanks fps

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 11, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Tag me please! Quoting myself from earlier in the thread

Mustang posted:

If gang tags are still being given out, here's my story with my first ever Dwarf Fortress:

Essentially, I severely underestimated how valuable chairs are to a budding dwarven community, and learned that there are ghosts in this game.

I embarked into an area that was heavily forested, and began cutting down all the trees except for one that I left for aesthetics right next to my main entrance. This tree will be important later on.

All my dwarves were grumbling about the lack of chairs, but I was busy having my carpenter make beds and doors so I could give all of them their own rooms. My carpenter is one of my best dwarves, has a great sense of empathy, enjoys helping others, and also happens to be one of my best fighters.

One of my miners has anger problems and likes to brawl, constantly dwells on the lack of chairs, but he's also in bad shape with low stamina.

I alt tabbed to look up how to do something, and apparently forgot to pause the game. I came back to some very unhappy dwarves, almost exclusively furious over the lack of chairs.

I had my carpenter switch to making chairs but it was too late. My miner snapped and coincidentally (or maybe intentionally???) assaulted my carpenter, and got his rear end whooped.

Despite being physically unscathed my carpenter was traumatized by this experience and fled out of the fortress and climbed up the only remaining tree, where she constantly dwelled on the fight she had for weeks, refusing to come down. She eventually died in the tree, and I forgot about her.

I didn't think to make someone else my carpenter and so no new chairs were being made. Then my carpenter came back as a ghost to haunt my chairless dwarves.

My carpenter was also a mother, and her son ran off with the rest of the children into the wilderness, for mysterious purposes.

The few remaining dwarves I have are still furious over the lack of chairs.

Dwarf Fortress has made me completely forget about finishing God of War: Ragnarok

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

HopperUK posted:

gangtag

you said to DM you but i don't have platinum so

i was hoping to get 'joe' replaced with dwarf fortress

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Still no major fun, but some minor fun.

I've found a bunch more stuff in that cluster. Tons of stones, more 40k+ value artifacts, but an interesting trap. Sometimes the rocks just burst into flame with an alert message interruption, often killing the miner.

Also the new value has brought in a ton of migrants. I am trying to rapidly grow my militia for whatever I eventually hit in there. 20 steel armed dwarves.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

turkeys don't require pasturing, they scavenge bugs out of the soil. i generally excavate 6x5 bird pens on a soil layer and stick my chickens, turkeys, peacocks, etc. in those with nest boxes for egg collection. you just have to be careful to separate males and females once you have enough hens to give a decent number of eggs or you'll have a birdsplosion that tanks fps

Oh. Huh. I guess that simplifies things, I've been using turkey pastures this whole time.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Welp, my first fort has been brought to ruin. Story for a gangtag, ho!

I was trying to set up a well during a necromantic siege - I mostly got the pump itself to work, but unfortunately, the pond was way shallower than I thought. On emptying it out it was a big hole in the ground that the skeleton goblin hammerlord ran in and slaughtered everyone.

So it goes. Onto the next!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 12, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my legendary miner digs so quickly that he managed to channel out a hole directly under his own feet, rotate 180 degrees midair, fall, and land on his head, dying instantly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

my legendary miner digs so quickly that he managed to channel out a hole directly under his own feet, rotate 180 degrees midair, fall, and land on his head, dying instantly

goddamn Wile E Coyote move

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh it turns out you have to assign doctors to hospital zones

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's neat to see bees buzzing around my installed hives.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not even close.
I've built a fort that lasted over 1000 in-game years, by which time I'd spent every single tile either making rooms for zones or making things out of the material.

lol OP's dwarves all dehydrated to death because they couldn't figure out how to make a well. I don't think they're gonna have a thousand-year fort for a while

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 12, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's being actively worked on, the update guy(s) just have a shitload of work to do.

Personally I'm just waiting on quickfort to get re-implemented.

That's going to be quite a wait, there'll surely have to be an update on the DF side to restore the missing hotkeys first. At least we can still turn the keyboard cursor on and record macros.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

shame on an IGA posted:

That's going to be quite a wait, there'll surely have to be an update on the DF side to restore the missing hotkeys first. At least we can still turn the keyboard cursor on and record macros.

The plan seems to be to implement a basic quickfort for just dig plans first, then expand it. They might be able to memory-hack everything in even without hotkeys.

But yeah, without a way to plan out a fortress, save the plan, and then go "wait, everything needs to be three squares to the left" and just delete and re-key it all in easily, this is a very difficult game for me to play. Fun to read about but . . .I can't stand my layouts being *wrong*

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

First time i've gotten a necromancer in a migrant wave. Got two of them in my first migrant wave on a new embark.

Then I spotted this loving thing running around:

What the hell is it? Neither of my Necros is named Nusbi?

Is it dangerous?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hihohe posted:

You got lucky, all i got was an incredibly powerful demon

He has killed 2 forgotton beasts effortlessly
i have walled up the lower levels so he cant get through

I got a demon like that, and my militia captain managed to decapitate it after she was crippled. Then I got another demon. Dig carefully.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

deep dish peat moss posted:

So I know dwarves can't hurt each other while sparring. What's the point of training weapons? Is it just that they're cheaper to make? Is there any reason to make training weapons if my actual military dwarves have iron weapons?

They are probably an artifact of older versions when dwarves did not hold back on each other and/or formal sparring wasn't a thing.

They're useful if you wanna disarm some goblins and stick your dwarves in there to practice on them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

So I know dwarves can't hurt each other while sparring. What's the point of training weapons? Is it just that they're cheaper to make? Is there any reason to make training weapons if my actual military dwarves have iron weapons?

Back in The Day you basically had to plan on losing one in every ten or so militia dwarves to training accidents, assuming you were using training weapons.

I think they kinda add flavor.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dark Off posted:

wait a minute thats not my civ..

if she seeks full citizenship i guess i could send her to raid her own civilization for !!!fun!!

How'd you get a monster slayer in a squad? Mine are useless.

Okay, I know I read a post about this the other day but I forget what it said :sweatdrop:

These are both barracks, the top barracks wears metal armor and is melee is trains just fine.
The bottom barracks is Archers, they all have crossbows equipped, I have bolts made, they're stored in a bin inside the barracks. But when they train, they're only training melee combat drills and not using the archery targets.

How do I make them actually train shooting?

You need to zone an archery range. I usually zone each target into its own range, just a long skinny 1x7 or w/e will do.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One thing that really cracks me up is how the giant versions of animals are just their sprites stretched out, they look extra silly

My giant porcupine:

The majestic giant emu:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

StarkRavingMad posted:

One thing that really cracks me up is how the giant versions of animals are just their sprites stretched out, they look extra silly

My giant porcupine:

The majestic giant emu:

Not so silly when it’s 8 giant hogs and they massacre everyone.

I’m still getting a lot of CTDs even after the patch, I guess I should do windowed mode?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I forget, do dwarves automatically claim bedrooms with no owners?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hey how come dwarves don't get guns?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, it got more fun! Still spoilering because I am 99% sure this is new content with the steam release.

Well this stone was much more cursed than others!

A demon!

It immediately tore the miner to shreds. But luckily he miner got exactly one swing off that cut off one of the fiends many legs.

It moved very fast from there. I paused and upaused and it was already fighting in my little underground gatehouse. Luckily I'd immediately paused and sent the militia down there, or else it would have been killing people in the fort in no time. I tried to pull the lever to retract the bridge, but it wasn't connected. FUN!

It killed at least two dwarves in the gatehouse, a few are wounded. For whatever reason, despite having all the proper equipment in stockpiles, a lot of them were missing pieces of armor or weapons.

The first soldier it encountered was an unfortunate marksdwarf whose head was immediately destroyed.

He also kicked another one in the head and immediately blew it up. Apparently spider demons are kung fu masters or something.

A child was there for some reason, fighting it.

Oddly enough I think what killed it was falling off the bridge fighting one dwarf, destroying its leg and opening an artery. I think the stonecutter punched it and it got knocked off the bridge, because that's literally the only hit I can find other than the miner cutting off a foot, and the stonecutter got the kill credit.

The gatehouse right after the fight:

On a different note, is it actually worth spoiler tagging this stuff? I usually wouldn't think of a game like DF having spoilers, but the wiki has some spoiler warnings on pages for weird endgame funstuffs so I stayed on the safe side.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Can someone explain work orders to me? I have a work order set up to cook 10 fine meals, on the condition that there's <50 unrotten prepared meals available. This order keeps generating a new task every day, even though I have hundreds of prepared meals available. Do they only look in certain stockpiles or barrels something for determining what's available?

edit: It also always says "condition not satisfied for next check", which I thought would mean it wouldn't create an order?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think it's nice to spoiler stuff for the many, many newbies so that they can make all the usual mistakes on their own.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

DarthRoblox posted:

Can someone explain work orders to me? I have a work order set up to cook 10 fine meals, on the condition that there's <50 unrotten prepared meals available. This order keeps generating a new task every day, even though I have hundreds of prepared meals available. Do they only look in certain stockpiles or barrels something for determining what's available?

edit: It also always says "condition not satisfied for next check", which I thought would mean it wouldn't create an order?

Someone else pointed this out earlier in the thread so it's worth repeating, conditions are a little weird, you have conditions for both 'less than', and 'at least', and I forget which one it should be set to without loading the game right now. I think 'at least' is the one you want but not sure, check that and whichever one it's set to, switch it to the other and hopefully that fixes it. At worst delete the work order and make a fresh order doing the same in case something went wonky. You can also click the clock button to change the frequency of the check to once a month instead of every day, that'll slow it down if nothing else will.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GruntyThrst posted:

I forget, do dwarves automatically claim bedrooms with no owners?

Yup! Unless you want to put someone in a specific bedroom (like a noble who wants a nice one), you can just designate them as bedrooms and the dwarves will pick their own lodgings.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think it's nice to spoiler stuff for the many, many newbies so that they can make all the usual mistakes on their own.

Definitely agree.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
Boy, I can't wait for 'blueprint mode' or whatever it was that DFHack had when placing down furniture. I hate having to come back to my dormitory level to place 2 more beds when I have 50 rooms waiting to be furnished.

edit: planning mode

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, no wonder, the default mineral generation settings in the Steam version is basically maxed out. No wonder it's pretty much everywhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh, no wonder, the default mineral generation settings in the Steam version is basically maxed out. No wonder it's pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, this was recommended to set in the newbie guide for 47 so I guess Toady just made it the default. In fairness it IS kind of more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Still waiting on something cool to happen so I can earn my tag

Just had my first real threat though. Big giant calling himself "The Impervious". My axedwarfs cut his leg arteries and chopped away at his head within a minute or two. Incredibly pervious imo.

Anybody know how I can get them to chop him up so I can make his skull into some kind of hat?

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 12, 2022