Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i found out there really was a female colonel sanders the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Don't post your rule 63 booru searches

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Armadillo Tank posted:

Don't post your rule 63 booru searches

how about

the original recipe

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm Lovin' It!™

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Mr colonel sir what are you gonna do with that corn *shy blush*

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
neat https://www.discovermagazine.com/environment/as-the-arctic-warms-beavers-move-in

quote:

As The Arctic Warms, Beavers Move In
Scientists are just beginning to study the impacts of beaver dams on the tundra

Until a few decades ago, the northern edge of the beaver’s range was defined by boreal forest, because beavers rely on woody plants for food and material to build their dams and lodges. But rapid warming in the Arctic has made the tundra more hospitable to the large rodents: Earlier snowmelt, thawing permafrost and a longer growing season have triggered a boom in shrubby plants like alder and willow that beavers need.

Aerial photography from the 1950s showed no beaver ponds at all in Arctic Alaska. But in a recent study, Ken Tape, an ecologist at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, scanned satellite images of nearly every stream, river and lake in the Alaskan tundra and found 11,377 beaver ponds.

Inupiat people near Kotzebue in northwest Alaska first noticed beavers living in local streams in the 1980s and 1990s. Inuvialuit hunters on the north slope of the Yukon saw their first beaver dams in 2008 and 2009. Because beavers can have such a dramatic impact on the landscapes they inhabit, seeing these animals in the fragile tundra ecosystem sparked concern.

“The Inuvialuit and Inuit people that I’ve heard from do have some big questions about what changes will happen because of beaver arriving in the Arctic,” says the Yukon biologist Jung.

Those concerns have grown as the beaver numbers increased. Tape and his colleagues’ work tracking the expansion of the beaver population has shown that the tundra around Kotzebue hosted only two beaver dams in 2002, but had 98 dams by 2019. In the adjacent Baldwin Peninsula, he has seen the number of dams grow from 94 to 409 between 2010 and 2019.

But how the beavers will affect specific areas and species in the Arctic is an open question.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

finally, infrastructure week

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Microplastics posted:

Mr colonel sir what are you gonna do with that corn *shy blush*

Do you want to find out... or are you chicken?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
let the beavers rule the Arctic

and north america

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_C5qJX_rI

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbF6k-e4-s

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Hubbert posted:

how about

the original recipe

Is this real? asking for a friend

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I do like beavers

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Seatbelts posted:

Is this real? asking for a friend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Official KFC game.

(no idea where the images are from but I figured it was what you were after)

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

DancingShade posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Official KFC game.

no, not fuckin anime. they (and I) want to know if the sexy graybeard colonel sanders is real

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I demand to be told the graybeard colonel sanders is real. that kfc, inc stood up at their shareholding meeting and said “this is it - our next ad campaign.” anything less is unacceptable

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Lackmaster posted:

no, not fuckin anime. they (and I) want to know if the sexy graybeard colonel sanders is real
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Recipe_for_Seduction#:~:text=A%20Recipe%20for%20Seduction%20is,Mario%20Lopez%20as%20Colonel%20Sanders.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
yes that colonel is real. google image search is also real.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/restaurants/a27101921/kfc-colonel-sanders-instagram-thirst-trap/

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Kicked Throat posted:

yes that colonel is real.

not as much as you'd think

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

quote:

Female Colonel Sanders, easy answers, civil war
The whole world at your fingеrtips, the ocean at your door

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Hubbert posted:

cappin sanders

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

one of my duckweed plantations has ducklings :aaaaa:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you plant it, they will come

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I just watched a very stupid film called The Arrival in which a SETI guy uncovers a conspiracy whereby aliens have been disguising themselves as humans and building power plants in various places around the Earth to pump out CO2 and make the planet hotter so that it's more suitable for their kind :allears:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Microplastics posted:

I just watched a very stupid film called The Arrival in which a SETI guy uncovers a conspiracy whereby aliens have been disguising themselves as humans and building power plants in various places around the Earth to pump out CO2 and make the planet hotter so that it's more suitable for their kind :allears:

LOL that had Charlie sheen in it and the aliens popped their knees backwards. Such an odd rear end movie.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

is that the movie where he rides a rocket into the middle of the desert because he’s a scientist and gets drunk? I think that movie sorta inspired me to be an alcoholic maybe.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It was better than the x files movie

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Arrival is dumb but fun. Also funny because it's a marker for the beginning of Charlie Sheen's washed-up phase and he's like 31 lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Laterite posted:

The Arrival is dumb but fun. Also funny because it's a marker for the beginning of Charlie Sheen's washed-up phase and he's like 31 lol

The Chase lampooned the stupidity of our future better than any other movie ever made.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

people rock
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/is-us-ready-for-more-arctic-shipping

quote:

Is US ready for more Arctic shipping?
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:00 AM

The ability of the U.S. to keep pace with the upward trend of shipping to, from and through the Arctic region is a growing concern and is exacerbated by a lack of assets being deployed in the region, according to the Government Accountability Office (GAO).

“Record low levels of sea ice have made Arctic waters navigable for longer periods of time and have increased opportunities for shipping in the region,” testified Andrew Von Ah, GAO’s director of physical infrastructure, at a Wednesday hearing on Capitol Hill. “This change presents potential economic opportunities as well as safety and environmental risks, particularly given the lack of maritime infrastructure in the region.”

Von Ah’s testimony was in support of GAO’s most recent report on Arctic maritime infrastructure. The report cites data showing the number of vessels in the U.S. Arctic, including transits through the Bering Strait more than doubling between 2009 and 2021 (130-347, see chart).

Number of Vessels in the Coast Guard Arctic Area of Interest, 2009-2021
Source: GAO analysis of U.S. Coast Guard data.
Economic advantages to shipping through the region will likely cause that number to grow. Trans-Arctic routes can drastically cut transit times between certain destinations, thereby reducing fuel and labor costs. For example, the route from Shanghai to northwestern Europe via the Northern Sea Route is 27% shorter than via the Suez Canal.

Most traffic in the U.S. Arctic involves transporting goods to and from the region versus shipping through it — but this also is expected to increase, particularly as the U.S. competes for energy and other natural resources extracted from the U.S. Arctic and shipped to international markets.

But GAO asserted that although diminished sea ice has prolonged the shipping season and opened up shipping routes, “environmental changes have also resulted in less predictable conditions, with more volatile weather and sea ice. The unpredictable and harsh weather and ice conditions — combined with the vast distances and lack of maritime infrastructure — pose safety risks that stretch the region’s already limited search and rescue capabilities and slow incidence response.”

Neither the White House nor the U.S. Coast Guard have included in their most recent Arctic strategies a way to measure progress in addressing maritime gaps in the region, GAO stated, including the construction of a deep-draft port, creating “harbors of refuge” in which a vessel can moor during severe conditions or when in need of repairs, and communications infrastructure.

Without the ability to measure progress as GAO has recommended in the past, the agency stated, “the results of government-wide and Coast Guard efforts cannot be demonstrated, and decision makers cannot gauge the extent of federal progress in addressing maritime infrastructure and capability gaps.”

GAO made five recommendations in two previous reports, in April 2020 and June 2016. Two of these recommendations have been implemented and three remain open. The three open recommendations are:

let’s run this poo poo into the ground :)

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Official KFC game.

No

Lackmaster posted:

this

Hubbert posted:

thats the KFC offical account and it doesn't say if its a real person who looks like that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
what the gently caress is going on in here?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i want colonel sanders to gently caress me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

biceps crimes posted:

i want colonel sanders to gently caress me

but u cant even get a double down anymore

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
lol https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...ons/ar-AA14ZBHh

quote:

The International Olympic Committee is delaying the selection of the 2030 Winter Olympics host city after discussing climate change and sustainability during its executive board meeting on Tuesday. The 2030 host city was originally scheduled to be announced after the 2023 IOC session.

The executive board is giving the Future Host Commission more time to look at the preliminary results of academic research that shows a potential reduction in the number of climate-reliable hosts. A proposal to ensure climate reliability would require hosts to show average minimum temperatures of below zero degrees for snow competition venues during the Winter Games over a 10-year period. Another idea discussed was the rotation of the Olympic Winter Games within a pool of hosts.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

what the gently caress is going on in here?

we are talking about the earth and how great it is doing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stereotype posted:

we are talking about the earth and how great it is doing

whew

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we did it, we did a fusion. earth's saved, everything's fine forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

apparently the resulting reaction produced a bit more energy than was in the laser used to initiate but it also damaged some sensors

so the result is pending and with the usual caveat about science reporting lol