Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was under the impression that we did over rely on trucks. Is that at odds with having an extensive network of freight rail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a stupid passenger rail story is that i was once interested in taking a train from houston to new orleans, because it's a long drive. well its an even longer train trip (like 9 hours vs 5 on the road) but not too horrible. however the train only goes one way, so to get back from new orleans to houston you have to go through chicago and then to new mexico and finally to houston, a three day trip. so convenient!

and this is a line that could be in high demand, new orleans is a very popular party destination.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Freight rail is basically only for giant loads of poo poo that's not time sensitive, like paper or raw building materials, because we've completely hosed up the entire logistical system.

Short version, tracks are designed with side tracks that trains can use to pass each other, the scheduling assumes those are going to be used, and the trains are physically too large to use them, adding hours or days to each delivery. Paper doesn't care how long it sits there, but the train operators are completely boned.

If we actually need a product to reach its destination we use a truck.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stopping in the middle of nowhere for an hour to let a freight train go by is an essential part of the Amtrak experience.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just the dumbest poo poo constantly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This infrastructure isn't working, we have to fix it.

Can we make it bigger?

No that's what makes it not work, we need to make it either smaller or increase capacity.

I'm hearing make it bigger, bigger it is.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Love an at grade crossing and I smile in childlike wonder at the train as it passes by each time it stops me

But I ride a bike, so

i usually agree but last week i got stuck behind like a 5 mile long train for like 20 mins. conductor!! STEP ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah in Portland Oregon, freight trains regularly cut parts of the city off for 30-40 minutes and everyone just has to live with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Making the train too long for the siding sounds like an OpenTTD rookie mistake

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

this is from September 14, 1946

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i hate cars… drat
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/affidavit-fedex-ground-contractor-killed-texas-girl-in-panic-after-accident

quote:

FreightWaves
Clarissa Hawes
Affidavit: FedEx Ground contractor killed Texas girl in panic after accident
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM
Content warning: This story contains graphic details about how Athena Strand died, based on the arrest affidavit.

A week after authorities say FedEx Ground contractor Tanner Lynn Horner confessed to killing 7-year-old Athena Strand and dumping her body near her home in Paradise, Texas, investigators have released new information about Strand’s death.

During the initial search for Strand, investigators discovered that a FedEx driver had made a delivery to her house around the time she went missing, about 5:45 p.m. on Nov. 30. Through further investigation, law enforcement discovered that Big Topspin was the contracting company used to deliver packages for FedEx.

Employees of Big Topspin helped investigators determine which van and driver had made the delivery to Strand’s home, according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit states that Horner, 31, of Fort Worth, Texas, confessed to accidentally hitting Strand with his GMC box truck when he was backing up. Although she “was not seriously injured [he] panicked and put her in the van.”

“[Horner] stated Athena was alive at that time, talking to him and told him her name was Athena,” according to the affidavit. “[Horner] stated he attempted to break Athena’s neck to kill her. [Horner] stated, when he attempted to break Athena’s neck it did not work so he strangled [her] with his bare hands in the back of the FedEx van.”

The affidavit states that Horner said during the interview that “he strangled Athena because she was going to tell her father about being hit by the FedEx truck [Horner] was operating.”

According to the report, Horner allegedly directed investigators to the location where he dumped Strand’s body near Trinity River in Boyd, Texas.

The Texas Department of Public Safety issued an Amber Alert for 7-year-old Athena Strand. Her body was near the Trinity River in Boyd, Texas, on Dec. 2. (Photo credit: Texas Dept. of Public Safety)
During the investigation, investigators learned the van Horner was allegedly driving was equipped with video equipment through a third-party provider, Velocitor. The affidavit states Velocitor was able to provide video from the truck that delivered the package, which was viewed by an FBI agent.

“The FBI employee found that the driver had taken a young girl who was visually similar to Athena in his van,” the affidavit states. “The driver was seen on video talking to her in the van.”

During a news conference last week, Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said officers, the Texas Rangers and the FBI used digital evidence and interviews to estimate that Strand died within an hour after she was abducted from her home on Nov. 30.

FedEx Ground spokesperson Meredith Miller said the company “contracts with independent businesses that provide package pickup and delivery services using their own employees, vehicles and equipment.”

“The employees of these service provider companies are subject to criminal history background checks as part of the driver eligibility process,” Miller said in a statement to FreightWaves.

Horner is facing capital murder and aggravated kidnapping charges. He remained in the Wise County Jail on Friday with bond set at $1.5 million.

This is a developing story.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:negative:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lobster shirt posted:

most people who don't work in logistics probably only interact with trains via their trips being delayed by at-grade crossings. to which i say: good.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Jesus loving christ

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

quote:

“The employees of these service provider companies are subject to criminal history background checks as part of the driver eligibility process,” Miller said in a statement to FreightWaves.

Really helpful info there, glad to see the system working. Thanks assholes.

Don't hate the car, hate the driver.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BonHair posted:

What a strange thread to learn that USA is ahead of the curve on cargo rail, compared to the much more American solution of cargo trucks. Sorry for being uninformed.

I am however completely unsurprised that you've managed to capitalism it into being poo poo.

we arent ahead by changing anything recently. we just built poo poo like railroad for coal to furnace and railroad for cow to slaughterhouse and made a handful of people into absolute lords in the 1800s and those positions maintain the same power today as they strip more and more from the system to make the absurd windfall they get from hauling the one kind of thing they want to haul go further and not cover any losses in other types of service.

a truck company is not gotta get a contract to haul hydrogen flouride across a state when warren buffet already has 100s of hydrogen flouide cars rolling through populated towns all day on the lucrative chemical precursor plant to chemical plant line

when you let independent psychopaths in a war against each other build your country thats how it looks

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Do I want to know how close to the stadium the hotel is?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

theres like a fence between the two parkinglots. they are mega parking lots tho

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I was in a situation today where I absolutely, had to have a car to move heavy stuff, so I rented a van, and it costed me ~40 dollars

Lot less than thousands a month

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Blockade posted:

I was in a situation today where I absolutely, had to have a car to move heavy stuff, so I rented a van, and it costed me ~40 dollars

My brother had his first child this year, so he and his wife went out and got some giant three row Kia thing.

"I need a truck to move stuff" is just an excuse people use for buying the big truck that makes them feel important

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blockade posted:

if people rented a car when they needed one, they'd probably be out money ahead than putting $800+ month for lease/loan/insurance/maintenance payments

granted rental prices have crept upward closer to $50/day and if you're legit commuting 20+ days a month every month then no

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I would simply not buy furniture 40 days a month, If I keep it to 20 I can buy more.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you're living a proper life, you can fit all your possessions in your Zündapp Janus

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

lmao what a neat country

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

lol
by car: 4-5 mins
by foot: 35 mins

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there are multiple hotels half a mile as the crow flies from metlife stadium lol

i have numerous complaints about all the public financing of stadiums that have happened in my city but at least the fuckin stadiums are in the city and not some monstrous exurb thats only accessible by car. hell i have taken the train to football, baseball, and basketball games.... its nice.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just make every road an interstate and you don't have to worry about pedestrian safety at all

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

that guy isn't going to fare well in prison when the other inmates learn he's there for strangling a 7 year old girl

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't buy the panic after an accident excuse because in america if you kill via vehicle its usually np

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Safest way to murder someone is to wait for them to cross the street, run them over, then wait around for the police or come while acting distraught. You will be home in time for dinner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
couldn't America just build pedestrian walkways so people can walk over dangerous intersections

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

couldn't America just build pedestrian walkways so people can walk over dangerous intersections

This would require some semblance of competency from the people responsible for building any sort of infrastructure here, which, lol. Bridges for cars are crumbling, zero chance any money gets put into bridges for people

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Americans don't want pedestrian crossings because then poor people will be able to walk into their neighborhood.

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
double post

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McCracAttack posted:

Americans don't want pedestrian crossings because then poor people will be able to walk into their neighborhood.

ah ha, gotcha

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

they gave it a go once

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I live in a small US city and every time they try to expand bus service, bike lanes, or multi use paths the city council meetings fill up with people worried about all the "crime" that they assume will come in as a result. Literally just, "People too poor to afford cars will be able to come to my neighborhood now!"

Car dependency is a feature, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Vegas does a good job with ped walkways but that's a very unique case