Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Spitballing here, but I think ACVI is going to be AC + Souls prolly in the same way that Sekiro was Tenchu + Souls. It'll be a paradigm shift to some degree, the continuity of design from their titles of the last decade, a ton of classic in-universe references and aesthetics, and a few very new and very significant game mechanics that the industry hasn't seen before and will mimic for the next decade ad nauseum. The sheer size of the audience that will latch onto this game as a blind buy after Elden Ring will likely shift the industry into sci-fi mecha mode for a while and due to the pedigree and momentum of the studio right now I could see this becoming one of the most broadly popular mecha titles the US market has yet seen. As for Japan, they are gonna drink this poo poo with a MILKSHAKE STRAW.
also gundam finally has a straightforwardly awesome anime that doesn't require you to familiarize yourself with seven prior storylines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like some flying if you build your mech properly but not the forever flying like in For Answer and DxM. The mechs in the trailer looked nice and chunky so I’m hopeful

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Like, I'm reticent to post my own vids and instead prefer to go to other peoples stuff but like, high movement was absolutely possible without any big upgrades or whatever. Especially in the post AC3 era when they massive buffed quads by giving them actual boost hopping and poo poo instead of the terrible system they had before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xuYla4hNw

Micro missiles introduced in Nexus absolutely brought a new world to that too, as well as linear rifles. Though for a long time the meta was defined by the arm mounted grenade launchers.

I think we might be talking past each other here, and that might be my fault for muddling a few points.
1. Friends I tried to get to play ps2 games (Nexus, 9breaker, and Last Raven) with me were offput by the gameplay loop, and imagined combat played more like what the AC4 era became. They also didn't realize what the ratio of customizing stuff in the hangar vs missions would be, or the penalty to zipping around while carrying giant gently caress off cannons would be.
2. I enjoyed the rock-paper-scissors aspect of building and trade offs, like ammo, mobility, armor, and targeting. I was annoyed by how heavily in late ps2 games they leaned into giving every ace pilot human+ chips which was cheatmode and let a mech largely ignore the trade offs of specialization.

When I mentioned clunkier mechs, I wasn't saying all of the AC builds were clunky and slow, I meant building for heavy weapons or an energy cannon meant you couldn't dash and gun at the same time.

Although looking it up, I also didn't realize the pre-analog aiming games didn't even have the heat mechanic, and the big energy guns weren't as limited to only heavy or quad/tank legs.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 11, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

7c Nickel posted:

I feel like that leaker who described it as souls like is running into the "Boss Baby Problem" where his only FROMSOFT frame of reference is the souls series. Big vistas? Running up and slashing a boss with a lasers sword from a third person perspective? Gotta be souls.

Yeah, I initially dismissed it for the same reasons, but scavenger backpack robot had a heavy souls feel to it. Though once again, that's cinematics, and AC games were bleak as hell long before the souls games existed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

In ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON, players will assemble and pilot their own mech with 3D maneuverability to move freely through three dimensional fast-paced missions. Take on difficult challenges and overwhelm your enemies with dynamic movements that make full use of ranged and melee combat. Players can enjoy a variety of actions that can only be truly realized with mechs.

The Steam page mentions missions and fast-paced dynamic movement, which doesn't sound that Souls to me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Although looking it up, I also didn't realize the pre-analog aiming games didn't even have the heat mechanic, and the big energy guns weren't as limited to only heavy or quad/tank legs.

They did, it started in AC2, in the vid I posted you can see the heat gauge under the AP number going up with each overboost. Its just normal booster heat that wasn't made until Nexus, which was a decision so insanely loathed that they tuned it back insanely quickly for Nine Breaker, and further in Last Raven.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I hope they use, uh, FreQuency? For the soundtrack again

That's just Kota Hoshino's personal label, he uses it for himself, his band, etc.

kliras posted:

also gundam finally has a straightforwardly awesome anime that doesn't require you to familiarize yourself with seven prior storylines

This seems like a weird thing to say considering how many non UC shows there are, and how big IBO was and whatnot.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 11, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I really like the pun :shobon:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/armoredcore/comments/zj1x2n/dont_know_anything_about_ac_but_i_like_fromsofts/

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I initially dismissed it for the same reasons, but scavenger backpack robot had a heavy souls feel to it. Though once again, that's cinematics, and AC games were bleak as hell long before the souls games existed.

A lot of their games are pretty bleak. The first Otogi could be another time the Old One from Demon’s Souls was woken up with very, very minor story tweaks. In both games you clean up the aftermath and kill a bunch of demons, but the land has been depopulated and left empty and anyone who got their soul eaten (basically everyone) is SOL. Also you can destroy random bits of the environment just like you can roll through barrels and furniture in the souls games and has puzzle bosses that sound better in concept than work in practice.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 12, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They did, it started in AC2, in the vid I posted you can see the heat gauge under the AP number going up with each overboost. Its just normal booster heat that wasn't made until Nexus, which was a decision so insanely loathed that they tuned it back insanely quickly for Nine Breaker, and further in Last Raven.

That's just Kota Hoshino's personal label, he uses it for himself, his band, etc.

This seems like a weird thing to say considering how many non UC shows there are, and how big IBO was and whatnot.

I mean, Wing was huge in the US because it was standalone. It's not anything new for the series. The UC stuff is a minority of the TV shows.

I'm pretty excited for AC 6. Been going through the older games (just finished my first route of Last Raven) so getting to be on the ground floor should befun.

I just hope it's not too much of a pain to get the KARASAWA. I love that rifle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

please do us a favor and feel at liberty to dress your 100-ton doll. arigato

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Spitballing here, but I think ACVI is going to be AC + Souls prolly in the same way that Sekiro was Tenchu + Souls. It'll be a paradigm shift to some degree, the continuity of design from their titles of the last decade, a ton of classic in-universe references and aesthetics, and a few very new and very significant game mechanics that the industry hasn't seen before and will mimic for the next decade ad nauseum. The sheer size of the audience that will latch onto this game as a blind buy after Elden Ring will likely shift the industry into sci-fi mecha mode for a while and due to the pedigree and momentum of the studio right now I could see this becoming one of the most broadly popular mecha titles the US market has yet seen. As for Japan, they are gonna drink this poo poo with a MILKSHAKE STRAW.

I'm hopeful as well that this will lead to a wider variety of mech games coming west, it's a genre that's so conducive to videogaming and it makes me so loving sad everytime a game like border break or megaton musashi comes out and doesn't get localized cuz the publishers don't think the interest is there.

E: someone tell Genki now is the time to announce a new Phantom Crash :pray:

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Yadana324/status/1601474573802754048

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:eyepop:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I keep loving saying Ace Combat

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Started playing AC 2 and I may or may not have died during the very first mission. Controls will definitely be something I need to get used to, but I'm starting to get the hang of movement, and I managed to pull off some cool jukes in the arena. I like reading the backstories of the pilots and how a lot of them are like "This guy sucks and will not get anywhere, but it's not like they have a choice."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

A lot of their games are pretty bleak. The first Otogi could be another time the Old One from Demon’s Souls was woken up with very, very minor story tweaks. In both games you clean up the aftermath and kill a bunch of demons, but the land has been depopulated and left empty and anyone who got their soul eaten (basically everyone) is SOL. Also you can destroy random bits of the environment just like you can roll through barrels and furniture in the souls games and has puzzle bosses that sound better in concept than work in practice.

My strongest memory of Otogi was kicking a demon so hard he flew through the walls of house and out the other side. Game kicked rear end.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Wing was huge in the US because it was standalone. It's not anything new for the series. The UC stuff is a minority of the TV shows.

Yes, that's my point. Saying there's 'finally' a standalone that doesn't require watching a bunch of stuff. There's a ton of standalone shows and they're generally pretty drat popular. Wing was huge, 00 took off p well, etc etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every mainline Gundam TV series since the late 90s that's not a recut of an OVA has been its own thing.

Hell, Victory, the last full length UC Gundam TV series, is technically so far in the future from any other work in the continuity that it's also essentially standalone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this was sent out in press materials

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That info, along with development oversight being completed by the lead game designer of Sekiro... , I'm gonna freak out when this is in my hands.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't think I can hate this game, even if it's not what I want most. Hell I even loved the dumb multiplayer focused ACV.
FromSoft has been pretty brave about trying new stuff and not just doing paint by the numbers sequels, even if some of their ideas don't quite land.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Was too busy reinstalling acvd and getting pcfa going to hype post and now I come back to see my terrible old rear end lp in the op :negative: I think I un-privated the ACV lp too since some of my friends have been asking about it since I did a bunch of tutorial videos.

Trying to relearn both games right now is destroying me, but at least the muscle memory is coming back

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I know ACs aren't really Gundam-style mechs but I really want funnels as a weapon option. Drones are ubiquitous in modern warfare now anyway, just call them drone swarms or something

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That's what Exceed Orbits are for.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Do rushdown suicide UNACs count?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kliras posted:

I guess you probably mean The Witch of Mercury, but I'd probably recommend Hathaway to people first.

They're the only two Gundam anything I've ever watched, but while Witch is nicely animated and certainly easy to understand as a newcomer, it's got a lot of high-school anime tropes and the mecha stuff is just okay. On the other hand, even though I didn't really get who all the factions were in Hathaway, the animation was god damned incredible and the battles were phenomenal. The sequence where the protagonists are at street level while mecha fight above them has a wild sense of scale and danger. The ending battles reminded me of The Expanse with the presentation of space fights and the depiction of velocity and g-forces. Good stuff.

Yeah so, are there any other series similar to/on the level of Hathaway?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This game better have tanklegs or I will riot. My disappointment upon learning DxM didn't have them was immeasurable.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am maybe reading into it, but watching the AC4 intro again it feels like some of the ruined structures at the start are a callback to the crazy walker aircraft/mt carriers that feature at the start of the game intro. Just ruined and dead.

Edit: Start of For Answer, I mean. It probably means nothing but it's just a visual similarity I noticed.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 12, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Atlatl posted:

Was too busy reinstalling acvd and getting pcfa going to hype post and now I come back to see my terrible old rear end lp in the op :negative: I think I un-privated the ACV lp too since some of my friends have been asking about it since I did a bunch of tutorial videos.

Trying to relearn both games right now is destroying me, but at least the muscle memory is coming back

I started checking your AC4 LP to learn how to play.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Right the wrongs of the past and let us smooch May

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

very excited for everyone expecting Armored Souls to poo poo their pants when it's Literally Just An Armored Core Game

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

ShadowMar posted:

very excited for everyone expecting Armored Souls to poo poo their pants when it's Literally Just An Armored Core Game

you’re going to have egg in your face when it’s Literally Just Dark Souls 2 With Robot Skins!!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Really, I think there'll be a lot of arguments about how true it is to the spirit of Armored Core regardless of what it's like to actually play it, because there's 14 previous AC games and the series changed things up every so often.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

After Armored Core V I'm pretty sure just about any change would be for the better tbh

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have no idea who this person is but

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1602127769210523648?s=46&t=Zb0jBMvAgJT8PdMmVQ7PdQ

I am completely fine with this. Though it will be interesting to see people who are expecting another souls game walk right into this wall.

I haven’t played Armored Core since the PS2 games. I really wish the new games were BC :(

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Pom posted:

After Armored Core V I'm pretty sure just about any change would be for the better tbh

Yeah if anything I bet it'll be more similar to the older games. Though we did see Primal Armor in the CG, they didn't look like NEXTs, more like classic ACs.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Mostly I'm just thinking here of how I've seen worries both that it'll be too much like Souls and thus too clunky and slow, and also too much like Souls and thus too fast and not deliberate enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Unlucky7 posted:

I have no idea who this person is but

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1602127769210523648?s=46&t=Zb0jBMvAgJT8PdMmVQ7PdQ

I am completely fine with this. Though it will be interesting to see people who are expecting another souls game walk right into this wall.

I haven’t played Armored Core since the PS2 games. I really wish the new games were BC :(

Omnipotent was a reliable elden ring inside source and Lance is a well known fromsoft data miner