Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

It's always weird to remember Gabriel Pogrund writes for the Sunday Times because he's a legit journo and not an anti-left psycho.

I guess if your interest is in investigate journalism, your options in the UK are fairly limited these days.
The Sunday Times does at least like to have big old exposés fairly often, so if you have some choice in what you work on, you could theoretically steer clear of too much political muck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kingturnip posted:

I guess if your interest is in investigate journalism, your options in the UK are fairly limited these days.
The Sunday Times does at least like to have big old exposés fairly often, so if you have some choice in what you work on, you could theoretically steer clear of too much political muck.

Yeah, and it's basically Sunday Times or Financial Times for this kind of thing.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You guys are so worried about the implications of this law, there's one easy solution - under-fund the police that they never bother doing anything about it.

Also they're too busy arresting people for the crime of being in London and black.

This, the law will only actually make a difference in cases where someone may be being followed and find some police on the street patrolling, otherwise they'll just end up ignoring reports (legitimate or otherwise) because they don't have the people (or in some cases, will think it's too minor of a thing) to look into them.

Would be nice if something good came out of stuff like this but given the state of the UK and where it's been heading ever since I moved here almost a decade ago, it's hard to remain optimist.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Even the "where are you from, no where are you from?" line of enquiry was mostly just lazy and tedious, she could have rescued it with "oh, is that north or south of the river?" and everyone would have still known the subtext but nobody is getting sacked or given a warning over it.
Instead she went full tilt on comparing the transatlantic trade to her holibobs in France, and people are deliberately ignoring that bit.
Maybe she has slaves in France.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, and it's basically Sunday Times or Financial Times for this kind of thing.

It's just a shame that the Sunday Times opinion pieces are somewhere to the right of Pol Pot, between cunts like Rod Liddle and Camilla Long. It's utterly insane the poo poo they write. Neil Oliver ends up in the Scottish section, though I haven't seen him in a while. GB News siphoned off some of the less-coherent nutters, I guess.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
OW MOI GOD i wuz elf secitry and toatally killed loike a whoooole bunch of PEOPLE???? EL OH EL!!!!! :sparkles:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

crispix posted:

OW MOI GOD i wuz elf secitry and toatally killed loike a whoooole bunch of PEOPLE???? EL OH EL!!!!! :sparkles:

For more exclusive content, head over to onlyfans.com/Hancock

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Snowing thick and fast down here in Kent, which has brought up the inevitable debate over stick (wrong) vs settle (correct) between me and my wife.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Put a non-stick pan out, if it fills with snow then it can't be sticking.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The correct word is pitch

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Gaza posted:

Snowing thick and fast down here in Kent, which has brought up the inevitable debate over stick (wrong) vs settle (correct) between me and my wife.

It has to stick before it settles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As in "it's snowed all over, it's white as pitch outside"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

Put a non-stick pan out, if it fills with snow then it can't be sticking.

You're supposed to be using a cast iron pan, hence 'snowcast'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

For more exclusive content, head over to onlyfans.com/Hancock
Careful with that spelling now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The Guardian still does investigative journalism at more or less the same level as the Times, and is slightly less overt in its right-wing bullshit most of the time (if only because Times opinion columns can get truly, insanely awful on a level that even the Guardian's TERF brigade have difficulty reaching).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Lady Gaza posted:

they are overlapping but separate terms in my experience

sticking refers to it landing on paths/roads etc cold enough so that it does not immediately melt away

settling means enough of it falling and conditions clement to development of a layer that's gonna still be around in a few hours at least

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/EJShone93/status/1601214425180274688

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its so cold the dog piss streaks on the street are death traps.
Saw someone near fall due to one.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Its so cold the dog piss streaks on the street are death traps.
Saw someone near fall due to one.

This sounds like the start of a Watchmen reboot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dog piss in alley this morning, frozen solid. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended pissers and the pissers are full of ice and when an old man finally slips and falls and shouts "what the bloody hell was that?"...

...I'll look down, and whisper "piss."

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Found what must have been frozen rabbit piss this morning, up the hill where I walk my dog.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Found what must have been frozen rabbit piss this morning, up the hill where I walk my dog.

Tasted like carrots?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The Guardian still does investigative journalism at more or less the same level as the Times, and is slightly less overt in its right-wing bullshit most of the time (if only because Times opinion columns can get truly, insanely awful on a level that even the Guardian's TERF brigade have difficulty reaching).

It does but it also puts out "BOMBSHELL: Brexit has raised the price of cotton socks 4%, WHAT DID BORIS KNOW?" style of headlines that make me roll my eyes so hard the optic nerve frays.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Tasted like carrots?

I assume the dog immediately tried to roll around in it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the dog immediately tried to roll around in it.

No, he's only interested in fox poo poo for that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AndrewRTDavies/status/1602026403444260869

Tis the season of goodwill....

https://twitter.com/can_cagzimm/status/1602061976129110016
https://twitter.com/anna_damski/status/1602073845556514818

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 12, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's the seamlessness and speed by which they go "wow that person is oversensitive" > "wow my boss is oversensitive" > "wow the public are oversensitive these days" > "wow the woke left have poisoned public debate."

It's the principal skinner meme but "no, it's the entire rest of humanity that are wrong!"

There is a book called “why white women cry”. It examines this learned technique a lot of middle and upper class white people have, white women in particular, where if a complaint is made about an organisation by a black person the white person will get dramatic and act like it’s them being complained about personally. The white lady shop assistant or receptionist will start to cry which then makes it all about them and not the original complaint by the actually wronged black person . Part capitalist brain worms, part racism, all privilege.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Voter ID card - get a PASS card (valid for voter id) for free using a code: FREEVOTERID

Copied this from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/zhwqas/citizencard_offering_free_id_cards_to_be_used_as/

quote:

Citizencard offering free ID Cards to be used as Voter ID at elections.
This is a bit of old news but if you do not already have ID you can vote with under the new Voter ID laws, pickup a citizencard ID for free. It is a PASS Card, which is one of the accepted forms of ID under the new law.

Currently, you can get a new ID for FREE with the code "FREEVOTERID". It is important to vote at the next GE and at any elections happening in your area, especially at such a time in Britain. Please go pick one up, it is literally free and you get it with no attached costs including no shipping cost if you order for it to be delivered within 3 weeks.

Go to:

https://www.citizencard.com/

and use the code "FREEVOTERID" to get it for free.

Ed: Apparently there is also something called a Voter Authority Certificate to be issued:

England
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/running-electoral-registration-england/voter-authority-certificates-and-anonymous-electors-documents

Wales
https://www.electoralcommission.org...y-certification

Scotland
https://www.electoralcommission.org...ty-certificates

(I understand Northern Ireland already has provision for Voter ID).

What will it look like

https://www.stroud.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/voter-id/what-will-the-voter-authority-certificate-look-like

A4 piece of paper. That's never going to get lost, worn out, accidentally put through the washing machine isn't it!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 12, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are there still hundreds of people in Sheffield without gas and being told they can't use the electric heaters the gas company gave them because it's causing power surges?

It seems like it should be a national scandal but there's really not much coverage.

Maybe it just hits home because S6 was my post code area when I briefly lived in Sheffield, Malin Bridge was my local tram stop. Those houses were not well insulated, at all.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Not sure about the person filming themselves driving in snow down the M25, tbh

Anyway, I've identified a train that the TOC says is running. Will report back in 15 hours whether that was accurate

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I hope they’re going to arrest all the clouds responsible for causing this kind of commuter disruption.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

I hope they’re going to arrest all the clouds responsible for causing this kind of commuter disruption.

The inevitable consequence of a woke sky. Reflect upon this .

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can I just check does anyone else here dislike the tories?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

E; ^ Can't say I'm a big fan of them, no

I have absolutely no ability to objectively compare to previous winters because I started HRT a few months ago and it's making me way more sensitive to the cold, but by Armok I swear it never got this cold inside this house before

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can I just check does anyone else here dislike the tories?

''Dislike'' is such a mild word.

In my case start with detest and go downwards. :)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Unfortunately Mark Harper never watched True Grit, so the government didn't order enough grit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It was my local council that once forgot to order grit, couldn’t find any for sale anywhere so used table salt in the gritters instead.

That was the year every pavement turned into 2 inches of black ice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Our council has been having arguments with the other council over who puts it out. One of them bought it in but doesn't do the streetwork, the other has decided it's nothing to do with them. Yes they are Tories indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jokes aside though it’s a pretty poor show for there to be no gritting at all. Most places I’ve been are out gritting the second there’s even a hint of minus temperatures.