Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vadun posted:

Have you tried light-gun games? Like Umbrella/Darktide Chronicles

What are those? I haven't been able to find a game by that name on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LLSix posted:

What are those? I haven't been able to find a game by that name on Steam.

Resident Evil light gun games for the Wii. It's Darkside Chronicles rather than Darktide which is the new Warhammer shooter by the Vermintide devs.

Games generally have bad names huh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Games generally have bad names huh

Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

A friend of mine is looking for a game:
- fantasy, premodern, or at least rustic theme
- build a village, or maybe a few cities - able to control the layout
- not principally a war game
- looks good, or cute, or both

I suggested the Skyrim creation kit but apparently some kind of gameplay should be involved.

Wants less detail than Cities: Skylines but control over more stuff than e.g. Stardew Valley.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Valheim is the obvious one. Or is that too much gameplay?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kaschei posted:

I suggested the Skyrim creation kit but apparently some kind of gameplay should be involved.

Wants less detail than Cities: Skylines but control over more stuff than e.g. Stardew Valley.

As much as I personally dislike it, I think Anno is the only thing that ticks all those boxes and it has a lot of fans: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879146

If looks good isn't a hard requirement; then maybe Songs of Syx

You might also try asking in the management thread.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kaschei posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046030/ISLANDERS/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1455840/Dorfromantik/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

PS4 is also a potential platform if there are more options there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kaschei posted:

Seconding that the Anno games on the lowest difficulty are pretty chill city builder/logistics games and even 1404 looks nice. But they're RTS games at heart.

As suggested you can change the settings on Songs of Syx to pretty much ignore war if you want.

Or hell, just play Simcity 4 with the NAM on extreme settings so they don't have to worry about traffic mangement.

Or if they can deal with a clunky ancient interface, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and Caesar III are super interesting city builder games with a lot of charm in their isometric graphics.

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

I assume you're already aware of Terraria?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 11, 2022

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

kaschei posted:

Rimworld with the medieval mod

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Banished? Build a village and watch your population yoyo like mad because of a housing crisis

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

tuyop posted:

Don't Starve Together if somehow you haven't played it yet.

Seconding Terraria.

Factorio is an amazing crafting game and very well optimized.

Edit: In the likely event you've already played all of the above fantastically popular games, maybe cross-post your ask in the Survival games thread.

Naramyth posted:

Rimworld with the medieval mod

I'd recommend Going Medieval before Rimworld - it's more focused on the OP's requested themes. Both have a lot of combat in them though. Or Dwarf Fortress, I guess, but it's got a very rough learning cliff in addition to a ton of combat.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 12, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kaschei posted:

What was that game where you make a city with beavers or otters or something? Timberborn?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

I actually already owned this for some reason without ever having installed it - I don't recall buying it - but this mention got me to fire it up, and it's fun! Had a good two hours making little villages so far. Honestly I don't think it's a game I will spend tons of more time with, but it's a fun and calming way to spend an evening. Some of the high score villages they have screenshots of on are absolutely insane.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a game where you dig a hole and put things in it don't say dwarf fortress or terraria or oxygen not included.

I guess I want Terraria but a bigger focus on base building. Like I want to dig out a bunch of space to put rooms in (like oxygen not included) but I want to be directly controlling a dude (like terraria or dome keeper). Honestly I think I want vertical Dungeon Keeper but also the Dungeon Keeper is me with a shovel.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kaschei posted:

Against the Storm is new and good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LLSix posted:

I'm looking for a new Co-op FPS.

All time favorite is still Halo. I really expected something would have dethroned it by now, but nope. Already played Vermintide (liked this a lot more than L4D), DRG, Gears, Destiny (boo), EDF.
Aliens: Fireteam Elite is good and considerably more than good if you have two friends to play with.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a game where you dig a hole and put things in it don't say dwarf fortress or terraria or oxygen not included.

I guess I want Terraria but a bigger focus on base building. Like I want to dig out a bunch of space to put rooms in (like oxygen not included) but I want to be directly controlling a dude (like terraria or dome keeper). Honestly I think I want vertical Dungeon Keeper but also the Dungeon Keeper is me with a shovel.

Maybe Steamworld Dig?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Osmosisch posted:

Maybe Steamworld Dig?
Appropriate digging mechanics but you mainly take things out of holes, there's very little putting things back in.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 12, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Splicer posted:

Appropriate digging mechanics but you mainly take things out of holes, there's very little putting things back in.

You could micromanage one villager in Going Medieval. It has z-levels, digging, AND building underground. Ditto for Noble Fates.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The new Dwarf Fortress might be worth a look now that it's got graphics

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rock Raiders?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've recently played Daemon ex Machinae on Switch, and it got me in the mood to play some more games with big mechs.

My platforms are PC and Switch. I'm currently playing MechWarrior 5 and I love the way you pilot a giant weapons platform, but I don't like that it feels like a series of repetitive botmatches with the (very) occasional dialogue thrown in. My platonic ideal for a mechgame in terms of story and gameplay is Starsiege, only I've played that one to death already and to say it is a bit outdated is an understatement. I also remember really enjoying Heavy Gear 2, but I can't get it to play nice on a modern machine.

I don't mind if it is a game from the 90s, as long as it isn't a massive headache to get up and running. I was thinking of running some of the old Armored Core games through an emulator (there's a good retro gaming store nearby) but don't know if it would be a great fit. Mainly becayse I enjoy MechWarrior more than Daemon ex Machinae, which felt a bit floaty and which had a story that completely lost me by the time it hit the last act. Still enjoyed it, though.

So, are there any other games you would recommend a fan of giant robots? Looking for something that plays as a vehicle simulator or action game, not so much for anything turn-based.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I've recently played Daemon ex Machinae on Switch, and it got me in the mood to play some more games with big mechs.

My platforms are PC and Switch. I'm currently playing MechWarrior 5 and I love the way you pilot a giant weapons platform, but I don't like that it feels like a series of repetitive botmatches with the (very) occasional dialogue thrown in. My platonic ideal for a mechgame in terms of story and gameplay is Starsiege, only I've played that one to death already and to say it is a bit outdated is an understatement. I also remember really enjoying Heavy Gear 2, but I can't get it to play nice on a modern machine.

I don't mind if it is a game from the 90s, as long as it isn't a massive headache to get up and running. I was thinking of running some of the old Armored Core games through an emulator (there's a good retro gaming store nearby) but don't know if it would be a great fit. Mainly becayse I enjoy MechWarrior more than Daemon ex Machinae, which felt a bit floaty and which had a story that completely lost me by the time it hit the last act. Still enjoyed it, though.

So, are there any other games you would recommend a fan of giant robots? Looking for something that plays as a vehicle simulator or action game, not so much for anything turn-based.

I played an EA version of a mech game last year that reminded me very much of MechWarrior that I am surprised has gotten no traction so far. Big robot, customizable loadouts, heat management system, fly/jump real far, good sense of scale. I don't have a VR system, but it's designed to simulate a person in a mech, so you move your view to look at rendered control surfaces and system information (as opposed to a HUD). I liked it, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I'll check back in when I do.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Armored Core strikes a nice balance between thumpiness and floatiness. You do have a jet boost, but it's limited enough that you don't get close to Anime Ninja Robot mobility, and your robots have a nice impact as they run or land from flight. You can also make more tank-like bruiser robots that are hella weighty.

I also appreciate the antiquated controls of the early titles, with strafing and vertical aiming handled by the shoulder buttons, as it feels more "I'm controlling a toy robot" than the modern FPS-style controls of the later titles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shine posted:

Armored Core strikes a nice balance between thumpiness and floatiness. You do have a jet boost, but it's limited enough that you don't get close to Anime Ninja Robot mobility, and your robots have a nice impact as they run or land from flight. You can also make more tank-like bruiser robots that are hella weighty.

I also appreciate the antiquated controls of the early titles, with strafing and vertical aiming handled by the shoulder buttons, as it feels more "I'm controlling a toy robot" than the modern FPS-style controls of the later titles.

To be precise, Armored Core 1-3 is like that. Armored Core 4/For Answer are absolutely anime ninja robot mobility as default. If you want to avoid the literal tank controls in the older games, emulators can let you use both sticks, but it's still a bit janky.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Titanfall 2? Hesitate to suggest it cos I assume you've probably already played it, but it's good enough that it's worth double checking.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was a proper game that's just the mech sections of Titanfall 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I miss Hawken :(

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Splicer posted:

I got this:
Minecraft

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Splicer posted:

Astroneer maybe? There's a lot of digging and while I always made my bases above ground there's no reason that has to be the case.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Check out Dome Keeper

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions! I played Titanfsll already, but it's a great game. Going to give Armored Core 2 a shot first.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BrianRx posted:

I played an EA version of a mech game last year that reminded me very much of MechWarrior that I am surprised has gotten no traction so far. Big robot, customizable loadouts, heat management system, fly/jump real far, good sense of scale. I don't have a VR system, but it's designed to simulate a person in a mech, so you move your view to look at rendered control surfaces and system information (as opposed to a HUD). I liked it, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I'll check back in when I do.

There's mech merc company that's trying to be mechwarrior but that might not be it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984610/Mech_Merc_Company

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I played Titanfsll already, but it's a great game. Going to give Armored Core 2 a shot first.

AC2 and Another Age are my favorite entries. Enjoy!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Banished? Build a village and watch your population yoyo like mad because of a housing crisis

Splicer posted:

Against the Storm is new and good.

Thanks for all replies, these two in particular!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To be precise, Armored Core 1-3 is like that. Armored Core 4/For Answer are absolutely anime ninja robot mobility as default. If you want to avoid the literal tank controls in the older games, emulators can let you use both sticks, but it's still a bit janky.

Nexus and Last Raven on the PS2 have good controls and are well worth playing.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a modern military turn based tactics game. Something that plays similar to xcom but with less aliens. I gave Jagged Alliance Back in Action a shot but I didn't find its real time/command gameplay very fun.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Any good games recently for PS4 or Switch that have great soundtracks? Secondary wish is for games with great stories and/or fun to play. Games that aren't too long, less than 30 hours. Linear, and small world is preferred to endless overwhelming open world.

Recent games I liked a lot: FF7 Remake, Hollow Night, Bloodstained, Hat in Time, Last of Us 2

Nier was recommended to me in 2013 in this same thread and for that I love this thread forever. The most perfect game series for me discovered here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

some bust on that guy posted:

Any good games recently for PS4 or Switch that have great soundtracks? Secondary wish is for games with great stories and/or fun to play. Games that aren't too long, less than 30 hours. Linear, and small world is preferred to endless overwhelming open world.

Recent games I liked a lot: FF7 Remake, Hollow Night, Bloodstained, Hat in Time, Last of Us 2

Nier was recommended to me in 2013 in this same thread and for that I love this thread forever. The most perfect game series for me discovered here.

OlliOlli World on Switch had an incredible soundtrack - could check it out on YouTube. It's not really a story game, but it is very fun to play. It's probably on PS4 too but not sure.

First game that came to mind, the music was sooooo good. Perfect for skating and doing cool tricks.