Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA if I stop letting MIL use my car?

oh yeah, i'd let this woman watch my kids

what's a little drink-driving between babysitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm sure the beer bottles just followed her into the car, like the cigarette smoke

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for saying I'm not attending christmas party with my girlfriend's family unless my plane ticket is paid for?

quote:

I live in the city. My girlfriend's family who live in a small town invited us to join them for christmas this year. And per usual, her parents would pay for her flying expenses (ticket) so she could attend (she an't afford it since she's a broke college student). We've been together for 5 months and I pretty much want to come BUT,, they're only going to pay for my girlfriend's ticket but not mine. I talked to my girlfriend and pointed out how they paid for her bil. she said it's 'different' since he's their son inlaw and that her parents aren't "obligated" to pay for me since they barely know me. I said it didn't matter how long they've known me, as a guest, I should recieve the same treatment as everybody else. I told her I won't come unless my ticket is paid for. period. She got mad and said it was weird for me to expect them to pay and that it was up to me to figure it out. I said cool then I'm not coming.

She's very upset with me saying I'm being ridiculous making a fuss over a plane ticket after her parents respected me enough to invite me to join their celebration. She's expecting me to take it back.

AITA?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking my daughter to uphold her end of the deal?

Cool, they're one of these types:

Commenter posted:

Side question, if you expect her to pay for half of the pool, will she get a cut of the real estate if you ever sell the house? Having a pool increases the price of a house in real estate, so if she owns half the pool, she’s entitled to part of that profit. In other words, you’ve already seen a return.

OP posted:

I’m paying for her food, clothes, the house she lives in, the car, and everything else. I don’t think she needs a cut of the real estate too. Moreover, like I said, this is about morals, not money logistics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Wont be a world record but looks like a PB on the 0-18 family split

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's extremely moral to get into a contract with a child

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for saying I'm not attending christmas party with my girlfriend's family unless my plane ticket is paid for?

Wow, the rear end in a top hat exposed himself in only 5 months.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD KIDS YOU loving MORON. YOU ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE YOUR MINOR CHILD WITH FOOD, SHELTER AND GENERAL SUPPORT.

YOUR CHILD DOES NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING FOR EXISTING.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The_Franz posted:

THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD KIDS YOU loving MORON. YOU ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE YOUR MINOR CHILD WITH FOOD, SHELTER AND GENERAL SUPPORT.

YOUR CHILD DOES NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING FOR EXISTING.

I always want to yell this directly into their ears. Just put a megaphone right up to their noggin and blast their eardrums.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

quantumwell posted:

Wow, the rear end in a top hat exposed himself in only 5 months.

Uhh it seems fair enough to me? Maybe it's a rich people thing but being invited somewhere you have to pay a bunch of money to go to doesn't really seem like it comes with a strong obligation to attend?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking my daughter to uphold her end of the deal?

You're going to penny and dime your 16-year-old as a moral lesson ? Take away her
prom ? Are you going to try garnishing her wages? Dad needs to divorce this harpy ASAP.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't doubt this, but how do you write a rule that goes after pajama pants without also banning a bunch of other stuff like sweatpants or just plain jeans with a drawstring.

"No pajama pants."

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

PiratePrentice posted:

Uhh it seems fair enough to me? Maybe it's a rich people thing but being invited somewhere you have to pay a bunch of money to go to doesn't really seem like it comes with a strong obligation to attend?

No one said he has to attend, he was invited as a courtesy. He could have graciously declined if he
didn't want to go or didn't have the money to travel. But no, he had to start making demands and
playing the victim card.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Pool mom is just preparing her daughter for a lifetime of student loans in two years.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

PiratePrentice posted:

Her family probably doesn't give two shits if he comes or not, they invited him as a courtesy to her. The fact that he's throwing a fit and demanding they pay for his ticket is what makes him an rear end in a top hat.

Also in the reddit thread he's on his alt defending himself LMAO.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for “exposing” my friend who has the same scar after she publicly made fun of me?

quote:

I’m (18m) friends with a girl (Melissa,18f) I met through a volunteering gig. We’ve been hanging out more lately and found out more about each other.

Actually one of the things we bonded over is the fact we have the exact same facial scar (we even got it at the same age which is a crazy coincidence). We often discuss how it has impacted our self image and self esteem growing up and had lots of conversations. I felt like she understood me.

The only difference is that she tends to cover her scar with makeup whereas I don’t. (She says that it’s not the same thing since she’s a girl and I get it)

A few days ago we went to a party together and hung out in a room with a few others. One of them was a girl who started chatting with us and Melissa seemed really impressed with her.

At one point the girl pointed out my scar (which was blunt & made me feel self conscious) but the good thing is that she said positive things.

Melissa immediately joked that “actually” my scar makes me look “creepy” & “intimidating”. I asked her “does that mean you would also look creepy and intimidating if you didn’t hide the same scar with makeup?” . She looked shocked and the people we were with to gave me a look like I had hosed up.

Afterwards in the car we had a massive argument where she called me an “insensitive rear end in a top hat”. She said that I’m a lovely person for exposing her insecurity and belittling her feelings. I said that she’s the actual rear end in a top hat here since she threw me under the bus to impress the girl or whatever (not sure what she was trying to do). We spent a long time arguing but eventually fell asleep.

So am I the rear end in a top hat here or is Melissa?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for wanting to dance with my mother on my wedding day

quote:

Hi! Me 30M and fiancee 30F are getting married next year, she's been living abroad all of 2022 for a master's degree so I proposed a few months before fiancee left, she always has been very mean and competitive with my younger sister with no reason, my sister loves her and has no idea my fiancee secretly hates her, a Few months after we got engaged my sister got engaged , and married a week ago, it was a really nice wedding, she danced with my parents, they had fireworks, the works.

Since my fiancee was not coming to the wedding, her mother and brother my future MIL and BIL came from another town and went to the wedding and met my family whom they had never met, and my fiancee was equally angry that her mother liked my sister. Fiancee found out how my sister's wedding was and literally told me she didn't want anything like my sister's wedding, so that means, no dj, no dancing the Same song with my mother( which is her favorite), no fireworks, no outside venue, just because, and I am really upset but willing to compromise , except in the dancing with my mother bit, which is like a really big deal for her that song because it was my grandfather's favourite.

We had a discussion about it, fiancee still abroad and set to return next month so we can start planning our wedding, , and I told fiancee I was dancing that song with my mother and that was it, I was encountered with tears, screaming, and the threat to cancel the wedding. AITA?

PS we've been together 10 years, 11 next year.

(Added para breaks)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for wanting to dance with my mother on my wedding day

You know you don't have to marry people like this, right? ....right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for correcting my coworker Spanish pronunciation even though I’m not fluent myself?

lol, he's literally doing the ETHPANIA bit from Popstar

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

the holy poopacy posted:

lol, he's literally doing the ETHPANIA bit from Popstar

Went to Barthelona in Ethpania?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

AITA for telling my nephew he can't "be a bean" when he grows up?

quote:

My nephew is 4 (I believe) and I was visiting my bro and his wife yesterday. I asked the kid what does he want to be when he grows up, because that's something you ask kids I guess. I am not good with kids really. I am not disliking them or some kind of cultist like the wingbags in r/childfree, I just don't really know how to interact with them. So I figure, I'll ask this kid what he wants to be when he grows up and pretend to think that is interesting and see what happens.

So I ask this kid, and he claims he wants to "be a bean" when he grows up. I'm like, what the gently caress? (I didn't swear at him but I was thinking it.) So I ask him, what do you mean? A bean? And he's basically yeah, he wants to be a bean. Literally a bean. I ask my bro and he's like "The kid likes beans."

Now I'm all for imagination, but it seems this kid really believed he would somehow become a bean. I asked him what he'd do if he became a bean, and he said "bean things", whatever that means. I felt it was not realistic for him to go around thinking he can become a bean. I mean pretend time is fine and dandy, but to really think it? Very dangerous.

So I told him, look kid I have to tell you it is cool to like beans but it is just not possible for humans to turn into beans. You will never be a bean. This kid started to cry, which astonished me. I tried to say, hey maybe you can be a bean farmer or a bean chef or something (I know a bean chef isn't real but at least it is plausible to cook with beans) but he wasn't hearing it. I figured, well the bandaid was ripped off as needed and he'll get over it.

Well I was astounded to find my bro and his wife (my SIL I suppose) were very furious at me. Not just annoyed, but actually angry. "How dare I", "He's just a kid", all kinds of stuff. They asked me to leave and my bro has been blowing up my phone demanding to apologize.

Now look I felt bad the kid cried I never expected such a thing would happen, but I don't feel bad he knows the truth he can't become a bean. I believe in honesty, I don't think it is right to lie to a kid or let them believe false information. I think I was in the right to be truthful. But my bro and his wife are still very angry at me, and now I have other family members dissing on my rear end too. So I thought I'd see what reddit says.

i believe in this kid. follow ur dreams.......

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
lmao

I'm not a fan of lying to children generally but the dude doesn't seem to understand that the kid doesn't really have a great handle on physical reality yet and it doesn't really matter that much at age 4

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Booky posted:

Why would you jeopardise the poor bean? You meanie! YTA.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
They're right it is plausible to cook with beans

Second funniest bean story from this thread tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PiratePrentice posted:

lmao

I'm not a fan of lying to children generally but the dude doesn't seem to understand that the kid doesn't really have a great handle on physical reality yet and it doesn't really matter that much at age 4

Yeah, I'm conflicted on longrunning stuff like Santa Claus, but they're 4, let the dang kid dream of turning into a bean if they want to.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Booky posted:

I'm a bean
He's a bean
She's a bean
We're a bean
Wouldn't you like to be a bean too?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

You know you don't have to marry people like this, right? ....right?

Evil Willow posted:

Me 30M and fiancee 30F are getting married next year, (...) PS we've been together 10 years, 11 next year.
Honestly? Working that math, they've been together basically since they were ~19. So there's a reasonable chance they actually don't know that "not marrying someone like this" is an option - because they've never dated anyone else seriously and/or because they're so firmly in the grasp of sunk cost fallacy that the idea of breaking up just never crossed OP's mind.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Booky posted:

Honestly, same. Imagine how simple your life would be as a bean, doing bean things. Way better than doing taxes and worrying about how to pronounce Ibiza.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Honestly? Working that math, they've been together basically since they were ~19. So there's a reasonable chance they actually don't know that "not marrying someone like this" is an option - because they've never dated anyone else seriously and/or because they're so firmly in the grasp of sunk cost fallacy that the idea of breaking up just never crossed OP's mind.

I didn't even go back to reread the ages. Ooof.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Blue Moonlight posted:

Honestly, same. Imagine how simple your life would be as a bean, doing bean things. Way better than doing taxes and worrying about how to pronounce Ibiza Ibeanza.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Booky posted:

This sounds like something any one of our nieces would have said at the same age. One of them has been quoted as saying, "I want to fart in space and wake up the sun." Another walked up to the walrus pool at the zoo and yelled, "FIGHT ME!" The third niece hasn't gone on record with weird comments, but it's really only a matter of time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

It would have been so easy to just say "I can't afford the flight, sorry" and GF might have tried to see if she could get her parents to pay for him too, but I guess that's not as dramatic as trying to claim that you, a literal stranger to these people, deserve to be treated exactly like a family member

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Booky posted:

When my sister was very little, she wanted to be a cow when she grew up. Though when we asked why it was “I can give milk to people” so I guess her dream sort of came true.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Akratic Method posted:

When my sister was very little, she wanted to be a cow when she grew up. Though when we asked why it was “I can give milk to people” so I guess her dream sort of came true.

She's a dairy farmer now?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

She's a dairy farmer now?

No, but I hear she fights like one.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Booky posted:

the kid likes beans

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My first thought was the poor kid heard a terrible dad joke/pun about being a "human bean", and took it literally. Only to get ripped apart for... being 4, fer chrissakes.

Spoilering for crappy childhood story:
I had a similar situation when I was 5, my evil stepdad told me I had a chip on my shoulder. Never heard that expression before, so I confusedly looked at my shoulder thinking "a potato chip? What's he talking about?" and then got physically punished for "talking back" and being "fresh".

Wanna hug that bean and discuss legumes at length with him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Booky posted:

r/relationships: hey, maybe you can be a bean chef

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my guy friend to stop acting like he’s my bf?

quote:

My friend and I met 10 years ago when we were in uni but we now live in different countries so we haven’t seen each other in so long. He told me he’s coming to visit and would love to catch up. Being really close with him before, I told him he could stay at my place and he accepted the offer.

On his first day I noticed that he was being extra touchy with me but I just brushed it off, we’re friends after all. Then, one night I was out with my friends and he wanted to go out as well so I told him to meet me and my friends at this pub. When he arrived, he hugged and kissed me on my forehead, which was weird. Felt so awkward. Then, from just the 4 of us, the group turned into 7 and we decided to go to a club because my friend who’s visiting wanted to party. When we got there he said he wants to go home. So I told him he can go but I’ll stay. I felt so uncomfortable so I stayed over at a friend’s house.

The next day I woke up to messages from him asking where I was. I ignored it. When I came home, he told me we needed to talk. I said I was tired and didn’t wanna talk. He forced me to have this conversation where he was basically angry that I didn’t sleep at home and he was thinking I slept with another guy. He then said I shouldn’t have left him alone at my house because he’s my guest. I lost it and told him to stop acting like he’s my bf because we’re just friends. He ended up crying and said he didn’t wanna lose me as a friend. AITA for being honest and putting him in his place?

wow, what a great friend this guy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My nephew is 4, he's a different animal every day of the week. He won't respond unless you refer to his animal name. Everyone in his life plays along because making kids happy is cool and ruini g a kids harmless fun should get you mauled by a bear.