Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They had a tasting for that here last year. It was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slipknot also has some godawful corn whiskey. But that one doesn't have a stupid gimmick at least.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This is old news but I just found out about Blackened, which in collaboration with Metallica is blasted in barrel with curated Metallica playlists. And I thought Jefferson's Ocean was gimmicky.

That's funny. I wonder if it's as lovely as Jefferson's Ocean.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's funny. I wonder if it's as lovely as Jefferson's Ocean.

Somehow it isn’t

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
From what I've heard the limited release versions of Blackened are actually pretty good

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Slipknot also has some godawful corn whiskey. But that one doesn't have a stupid gimmick at least.

That reminds me, is there a good nationally available corn whiskey out there? I bought a bottle of George Dickel #1 corn whiskey when I toured the distillery and that poo poo was num-num. I hoarded the last little bit, and I can't get any more of it because it's not on ABC's master purchase list. I guess it was a small run distillery store only thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

That reminds me, is there a good nationally available corn whiskey out there? I bought a bottle of George Dickel #1 corn whiskey when I toured the distillery and that poo poo was num-num. I hoarded the last little bit, and I can't get any more of it because it's not on ABC's master purchase list. I guess it was a small run distillery store only thing.

Mellow Corn is the classic standard.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What's the difference between Bourbon and corn whiskey? Rye? Is that all?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

What's the difference between Bourbon and corn whiskey? Rye? Is that all?

Bourbon is minimum of 51% corn and has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.

Corn whiskey is minimum of 80% corn and may be aged in oak barrels. Note that it doesn't specify new oak so corn whiskey can be aged in refill barrels (previously used).

Note: Mellow corn is bottled in bond so it has to be aged for a minimum of 4 years

So, while it has some similarities to bourbon it's a different style of whiskey really.

GD_American posted:

That reminds me, is there a good nationally available corn whiskey out there?

2nding Mellow Corn, it's actually a really decent example of corn whiskey, especially considering the price.

Balcones True Blue should be pretty available I think, and that's a more "craft" presentation of the style, although it being Texas whiskey gives it a unique twist. Balcones Baby Blue is also a thing, and a decent example but it's very young whiskey so you should be aware of that.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 5, 2022

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

We discussed this a few years ago but the closest things to American corn whiskey you'll find is actually single grain scotch, because the grain they use is usually corn, and it's usually aged in used barrels

Heaven Hill does have a high aged cask strength corn whiskey releasing next year (mellowest corn) under the heritage label so you can guarantee the price will be high and it will be even harder to find at any price

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I enjoy Bulleit’s bourbon because of the spiciness of the high-rye mashbill. I especially enjoyed the limited “Blender’s select” that I used to buy, although I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

Please recommend other bourbons I may also enjoy, including maybe a few that are a bit fancier than the mass market Diageo product that I am currently buying.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

I enjoy Bulleit’s bourbon because of the spiciness of the high-rye mashbill. I especially enjoyed the limited “Blender’s select” that I used to buy, although I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

Please recommend other bourbons I may also enjoy, including maybe a few that are a bit fancier than the mass market Diageo product that I am currently buying.

Old Grand Dad bonded is great and also has a high rye content. usually it's even cheaper than Bulleit, at least in PA.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Four Roses small batch, single barrel, small batch select
New Riff

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Mr. Glass posted:

Old Grand Dad bonded is great and also has a high rye content. usually it's even cheaper than Bulleit, at least in PA.

Shhhhh, don't let the secret out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Wild Turkey 101.

Also, drink some rye if you haven't, you probably like that too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scythe posted:

Wild Turkey 101.

I prefer the Rare Breed tbh

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Redemption makes a high-rye Bourbon that I enjoy, and I'd recommend Stellum if you're up for barrel proof bottles. The Stellum blended bourbon and rye are both great (and are focused on medium to high rye blends), and they release a ton of single barrels that are all going to be unique.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I have a bottle of Howler Head banana bourbon and I'm struggling to use it. I tried it in a cocktail with coffee liqueur but did not like the results. So far the only palatable drink has been a spiked milkshake. I feel like it's a spirit designed to be taken as a shot and not actually enjoyed.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sounds like it. I had a thought: egg nog.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was buying some airline bottles to sample and asked about that one, guy got real excited about it and said “yeah that’s Dana White’s brand”

I reflexively said “well, I’ll try it anyway” and dude’s face fell so hard I still feel bad about it like a year later

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I have a bottle of Howler Head banana bourbon and I'm struggling to use it. I tried it in a cocktail with coffee liqueur but did not like the results. So far the only palatable drink has been a spiked milkshake. I feel like it's a spirit designed to be taken as a shot and not actually enjoyed.

Flavored whiskey is an affront

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Infinite Karma posted:

Redemption makes a high-rye Bourbon that I enjoy, and I'd recommend Stellum if you're up for barrel proof bottles. The Stellum blended bourbon and rye are both great (and are focused on medium to high rye blends), and they release a ton of single barrels that are all going to be unique.

I did not care for redemption. It cost about $10 more than Bulleit, and I thought the taste was very poor. Very “grain alcoholy” taste, if that makes sense. It did work well in cocktails, but it was basically unpalatable neat.

I will keep an eye out for Stellum, and will buy old grand dad and wild Turkey 101.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 6, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I will keep an eye out for Stellum, and will buy old grand dad and wild Turkey 101.

Just make sure the OGD is bonded or 114. Skip the
80 proof, imo.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Pseudohog posted:

Brandy is pretty much its own thing. Being distilled it can hit some of the same notes, but really it's a whole different beastie to whiskey.

This sounds super elitist but I highly recommend using a proper brandy snifter when sampling armagnacs and cognacs. It helps accentuate the sweetness and unique characteristics of brandy. I got so excited I wanted to try using it to see if it'd make my primarily Islay whiskys more intense but it just made everything more bitter, which was an interesting learning point for me. I've stuck to the standard tulip glass since then.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Just make sure the OGD is bonded or 114. Skip the
80 proof, imo.

This Agent speaks Truth.

OGD 80 is garbage…and their more “premium” offerings are so, so good.

Not even “by comparison…” they’re good whiskeys standing all on their own!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's rye whisky like? Anything notably different?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
They mostly just have green labels is all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lily Catts posted:

It's got a kind of spicy taste compared to bourbon.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

In addition to being a bit spicier, I've found rye can also have very distinct notes of dill (High West Rendezvous) and mint. I really like high rye bourbon, but it took me some time to come to grips with straight rye in the High West Rendevous because of the dill. By the time I finished the bottle I was on board, but it took me a few glasses. YMMV!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Herbal, earthy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

In addition to being a bit spicier, I've found rye can also have very distinct notes of dill (High West Rendezvous) and mint. I really like high rye bourbon, but it took me some time to come to grips with straight rye in the High West Rendevous because of the dill. By the time I finished the bottle I was on board, but it took me a few glasses. YMMV!

I've never gotten dill from HW Rendezvous, but I do get super huge herbal dill/thyme/tarragon notes from Willet ryes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

100% rye has always been my favourite non-scotch whisky for a while now. It's definitely that rye spice that characterizes it.

It's kind of interesting how my early taking to rye influenced my taste in bourbon later on though. I've tried various high-rye bourbons like bulleit and woodford reserve, but the tease of rye spice just makes me want 100% rye instead. I've found I've been liking the low-rye and wheatie bourbons, like buffalo trace and maker's mark.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
It's like rye bread vs. wheat bread. Spicy and earthy vs. soft and sweet.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol:Jack Daniels bonded got named whisky advocate whiskey of the year. Can't wait to see a $30 bottle being hoarded and resold at stupid prices just like Henry Mckenna 10.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol:Jack Daniels bonded got named whisky advocate whiskey of the year. Can't wait to see a $30 bottle being hoarded and resold at stupid prices just like Henry Mckenna 10.

Nice. I have an unopened one collecting dust. Time to flip it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I haven’t tried the bonded but JD Single Barrel is very good. Haven’t tried the barrel proof version. I imagine the bonded isn’t as good though.

It makes me think of Old Grand Dad bonded, which is good for the price but ultimately still a meh $20 bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JD bonded is good, IMO, but it's one of those whiskies that I never drink because there's always something nicer or more interesting on my shelf.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Aside from knowing it'll be 100 proof and aged at least four years, how is knowing a whiskey is bottled in bond useful to the consumer? Is it a legacy from an age when the industry was so shady you wanted your whiskey aged in government-supervised warehouses?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Aside from knowing it'll be 100 proof and aged at least four years, how is knowing a whiskey is bottled in bond useful to the consumer? Is it a legacy from an age when the industry was so shady you wanted your whiskey aged in government-supervised warehouses?

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, you nailed it. Just a law to guarantee you won’t buy methanol with food coloring in it.