Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GlassElephant posted:

Looks like the majority of Odesa has power again, 1.2 million out of 1.5 million restored.

If the power outage we had last Winter in Memphis is any indication, a majority is restored relatively quickly and then it takes like 10x as long to restore the remaining 10-20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Ardennes posted:

Ah okay, this is the time strategic bombing will work.

Hitting whatever units cross the border and encounter NATO tripwire forces wouldn't be strategic bombing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GlassElephant posted:

Hitting whatever units cross the border and encounter NATO tripwire forces wouldn't be strategic bombing.

If the Serbs put peacekeepers in the north, NATO would have to push them out, moreover that area is almost entirely Serbian unlike the rest of Kosovo. In this case, they would see it as a defensive war of a majority Serbian area.

It isn’t comparable to the Baltics where people actually want NATO forces on the ground.

That said, if the West wants to stick its dick into a Balkan beehive, I am sure the sound of champagne corks popping will be deafening in Moscow and Beijing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Dec 12, 2022

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well do or don't they won't make the changes necessary to control things better so what comes of this won't be something that suddenly makes things better for the west.

Honestly at this point if someone would do something that actually advances their position instead of glancing their nutsack with bullets it'd be a relief just because it'd mean someone actually has a plan.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

GlassElephant posted:

If an actual conflict with NATO kicks off, NATO air capabilities have been completely untouched by the conflict in Ukraine (aside from sending some AGM-88s). Nobody is going to launch a ground campaign into Serbia.

Will they bomb the Chinese embassy this time too?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

NATO bombed Serbia into submission in 1999, why couldn't they do it again?

supersnowman posted:

Will they bomb the Chinese embassy this time too?

China sent 6 plane loads of anti-aircraft missiles to Serbia in April.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/05/11/serbias-arms-deals-show-its-tilting-away-from-russia-and-toward-china/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGj4CEmzzw

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Gonna lmao when the rest of the world figures out that the US is out of missiles and this starts happening all over.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
taliban ftw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

welcome back

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
You have previously been warned about your dogshit posting, and barely 24 hours since coming off a ban+30 for it, you charge right back in with this utterly scalding hot take. User loses posting privileges for 10,000 hours.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

been hearing this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

More and more people are saying

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:heysexy:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
WAR IN BALKANS

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
War in my balls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FTW, the cool kids way of saying fatwa

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
we're back in the USSR :ussr:

https://twitter.com/TheIntlMagz/status/1601969908245745664

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Taliban is aids

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

another war? nice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

another war? nice

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

:ussr:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

speng31b posted:

welcome back

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Taliban is aids

The good aids.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/status/1601851246926827520?t=Xw5j6Z2eyuNH35JtIdfO1g&s=19

oh good let's escalate

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GoLambo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhA1yofpkMg

Douglas Macgregor doesn't seem to think the Ukrainian army is in a particularly good position right now.

there's also 2 more parts to this on the channel. will be interesting to see how much of this turns out to be true

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Nice of Ukraine to give Putin political cover for a second wave of and/or full mobilization.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Organ Fiend posted:

Nice of Ukraine to give Putin political cover for a second wave of and/or full mobilization.

ukrainian troops are occupying cities that russia claims to be literally russian land, if that wasnt "political cover" or whatver putin needs to push the total mobilization button, then nothing is

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

OctaMurk posted:

ukrainian troops are occupying cities that russia claims to be literally russian land, if that wasnt "political cover" or whatver putin needs to push the total mobilization button, then nothing is

lmao

how do people still not understand how this poo poo works after this long?

do you really think that a Ukrainian strike on a larger Russian city would not affect the Russian parliament and popular opinion more than Ukrainian strikes on territories nobody in Russia proper cares about?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol if any of you think that anything the ukranians do at this point will make Putin do anything to not lose his war on purpose.

Putin has political calculations and restrictions that actively prevent him from actually doing anything different than what he's doing right now, he stupidly thought he could get away with a cheap war, he went against all military logic by thinking he can invade and take over a country at a 3:1 numbers disadvantage, did everything he possibly could to give the Ukranians enough military and political breathing space and time to start actively beating the poo poo out of his severely small army he sent, and now winning the war would require him to do two things that he is incapable of doing (1) is asking the russian people for a national effort and active sacrifice, something him and his regime cant do because the whole point of Putin was to make his population not care about politics. (2) actively commit warcrimes and infrastructure destruction on the level of Syria to break Ukranian resistance. Putin cant and wont do either of things, and has and is giving the ukranians all the time and ability in the world to re-supply and re-train and stuff and every time he is pushed to a decisive battle (Kherson) he blinks and runs away. Putin cannot and will not commit the army or resources needed to win in any real sense of the word.

Right now, it's pretty clear the war for russia is at a 'negotiated face saving exit', there is no planet where the russians can actively turn things around or win. it's over. Russia lost and they have no one to blame but Putin for it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/GazpromEN/status/1602205721600196609?t=Rn3mSCV0OGstDTzh93lWaA&s=19

poor nordstream, Russia is moving on with a new pipeline so soon after their break up

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Right now, it's pretty clear the war for russia is at a 'negotiated face saving exit', there is no planet where the russians can actively turn things around or win. it's over. Russia lost and they have no one to blame but Putin for it.

Whatever the result is I don't buy this great man thing, they're all swimming in the same ideological and cultural brainworm molasses. I really doubt this was his idea alone, a lot of people would have stepped up to take this fight for basically the same reasons.

It's also why all I can see from this is escalation, there are basically no good reasons for the elite in Russia or Ukraine to back down now, they're in it to win it regardless of what they might have wanted before. I really doubt the Russians are going to pile in reserves and then just... peace out.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

GoLambo posted:

Whatever the result is I don't buy this great man thing, they're all swimming in the same ideological and cultural brainworm molasses. I really doubt this was his idea alone, a lot of people would have stepped up to take this fight for basically the same reasons.

It's also why all I can see from this is escalation, there are basically no good reasons for the elite in Russia or Ukraine to back down now, they're in it to win it regardless of what they might have wanted before. I really doubt the Russians are going to pile in reserves and then just... peace out.

Changing material conditions imply that Russia could win while the OP is looking for reasons as to why Russia will lose; idealism in other words.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

even if russia could abandon the donbass, they probably cannot sell any part of russian society on abandoning crimea, which is an explicit ukrainian war goal which is also supported by ukraine's western backers. russia's stuck in this war until they can figure something out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/GazpromEN/status/1602205721600196609?t=Rn3mSCV0OGstDTzh93lWaA&s=19

poor nordstream, Russia is moving on with a new pipeline so soon after their break up

But what about our $60 per barrel price cap? - a behwildered EU bureaucrat, as papers blow out of their open briefcase and flutter into the Venice canal.

edit - How will the EU now run their essential infrastructure of Luxxotica sunglass factories in Italy, chocolate factories in Switzerland and precision screwdrivers in Germany? Surely the world cannot survive without the EU providing such essential mercantile products.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 09:28 on Dec 12, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It does not appear that their current political system could accept or even survive a loss.

It does not appear that their current political system can mobilize the resources required for a win.

So indefinite war with no chance at resolution until the current system finds a way to mobilize the resources required for a win, for example through mass popular support of full mobilization following escalation from Ukrainian side. Or alternatively the replacement of the current political system by one which can either mobilize the required resources or accept a loss. This could take many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Danann posted:

Changing material conditions imply that Russia could win while the OP is looking for reasons as to why Russia will lose; idealism in other words.

Please explain to me how the material conditions imply russia could win given that the material conditions for Ukraine weapons wise is really good and they re-gained two thirds of everything they initially lost in this war. Also it looks like europe will be just fine this winter so there's no magic surrender europe is gonna do so now what.