Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a better way to store stone and ore than "a big fuckoff stockpile," since they can't stack or go in bins apparently?

Best way to store stone is to turn them into blocks and crafts, queue up a ton of "make stone blocks" in the stone workshop and you'll have tons of building materials (1 stone = 4 blocks) that are storable in bins and much lighter for dwarves to haul around. Blocks serve much the same purpose as stones, you can use them to build construction/workshops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Human Traders are stuck and won't leave :argh:

They didn't bring a wagon so it's not that. Really don't want to destroy the depot and potentially go to war with the Humans.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Odd, the work order to encrust with gems doesn't have anything about a target"

"oh well it's probably fine"

I guess the nobles get a nest box in their bedroom now

It's a faberge eggbox

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This lady refuses to cheer up. I put her on the military so she could fight and train, and in the Generic Crafting role so she could create things when not training and will not go higher than unhappy. Her one single yellow unmet Need is "Be with family" but she doesn't HAVE any family.

Maybe she just wants to have a lover but she's such a sad sack that no one wants her.
What's her account name?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm glad raiding doesn't insta break things now. Used to be that once I started raiding, I stopped getting visitors altogether. I'll purge my micro world of the goblin filth one pit at a time. We'll retake the mountainhomes and send their demon leader back to the pit that spawned him! :black101:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Khanstant posted:

lol gently caress this, i finally make a military and then it's seriously horn after horn after horn of cavern invasion. is there a cheatmode for this yet, can i make all my dwarves into superdwarves so they can work without constant harassment from jerks?

edit: and just noticed hordes of antmen leaving my fortress? like long lines of them, are they just trying to violently migrate? should i build them their own stairs to the surface?

I have the opposite problem. I've been constant training an entire squad of axe lords with 10 war dogs to assist and haven't managed to find anything that's a challenge yet. I'm down to -120 and the worst I've encounter was a blind ogre

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

hello internet posted:

I have the opposite problem. I've been constant training an entire squad of axe lords with 10 war dogs to assist and haven't managed to find anything that's a challenge yet. I'm down to -120 and the worst I've encounter was a blind ogre

Go raiding! From the world map you can click on enemy locations. Select openly attack if you want to throw down. (I usually select raze because I want them purged) They'll bring home any artifacts that are there. Good reason to build a library!

Also, its been a bit, but I'll link my short tutorial on setting up military squads for new folks still coming in. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=684#post528347762

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It took some bouncing off and restarting but I got into the groove today. I started in a desert in the middle of nowhere by a sheer mountain and channeled straight down till I hit the caves and then built my tavern overlooking the cave entrance.

I get swarmed by gorlucks and trogladytes and lizard things and ogres but I also keep attracting monster hunters to keep them at bay. Everyone just hangs out at the bar watching mercenaries, animals, and cave creatures murder each other and get squished by traps one level below. I had some war dogs but the only survivor is paralyzed and just limps around the killing field with her puppies scaring away monsters somehow

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Ah, my first real foe... An ettin!

Pathetic.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a faberge eggbox

:hmmyes:

Also my diplomat has left unhappy

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Mayors are not allowed to show their faces, don't worry though, they won't mind because their veil of office is worth a hefty chunk of change.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Go raiding! From the world map you can click on enemy locations. Select openly attack if you want to throw down. (I usually select raze because I want them purged) They'll bring home any artifacts that are there. Good reason to build a library!

I sent my first raid out - two squads to some elven hamlet or other that was said to have two books.

Well, the squad came back with absolutely no fanfare (I don't think they got the books), except that when I looked at the world screen I was now hostile to a dwarven civ. ????

Luckily I haven't been attacked by fellow dwarves or anything. I checked legends mode and they had led an assault (I told them to be quiet, dang it!) and went up against a dwarven company. No one got hurt and they had to retreat. The hamlet or village or whatever was actually settled by a bunch of random undead, because my world has like hundreds of necromancers or whatever. So I'm really not sure what that dwarven company was doing there but okay.

I did have a few "sieges" that arrived and then disappeared, from what I've learned that means they were just passing by my tile on their way somewhere else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a limit to the amount of dwarves and squads that can train in a single barracks?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a limit to the amount of dwarves and squads that can train in a single barracks?
Like in terms of assigning dwarves to train at different times, or in terms of how many dorfs can you pack into the Dwarf Train before someone refuses to be the caboose?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so I made a new fort on top of an active volcano some distance away from the nearest friendly settlements, which seems to mean that migrant waves are few and far between.

However, I'm getting so many bards and poets, just an endless train of them. And they all petition to stay here, probably since my tavern is quite nice.
Is there any way I can make them be actually useful?

Edti: Also, is there a way to force complete a construction?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 12, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Clocks posted:

I sent my first raid out - two squads to some elven hamlet or other that was said to have two books.

Well, the squad came back with absolutely no fanfare (I don't think they got the books), except that when I looked at the world screen I was now hostile to a dwarven civ. ????

Luckily I haven't been attacked by fellow dwarves or anything. I checked legends mode and they had led an assault (I told them to be quiet, dang it!) and went up against a dwarven company. No one got hurt and they had to retreat. The hamlet or village or whatever was actually settled by a bunch of random undead, because my world has like hundreds of necromancers or whatever. So I'm really not sure what that dwarven company was doing there but okay.

I did have a few "sieges" that arrived and then disappeared, from what I've learned that means they were just passing by my tile on their way somewhere else.

Generally more squads don't do 'be quiet' very well. But don't undersell your dwarf's might on the autocalculated fight. Goblins or elves they'll basically run roughshod over even if they aren't covered in armor. And if you're already hostile to the place, then screw it. Kick em out.

Though secondly, if they're detected when you tell them to be quiet, they'll abort the mission immediately, bringing you no loot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

Like in terms of assigning dwarves to train at different times, or in terms of how many dorfs can you pack into the Dwarf Train before someone refuses to be the caboose?

I have one full squad and another squad with 7 dwarves that are all sharing one barracks for training, no idea if this is bad or not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, this new minecart tech making quantum stockpiles so much easier is incredible. Gonna miss it when Toady gets around to making things on a square take actual space but in the meantime, mwah

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hello internet posted:

Maybe try living in the caverns? I swear the amount of cavern invades was insane, maybe my fort shot up in value after claiming all the shields or something but I have to wonder if it was just constant activity down there waking the caverns

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

weird, got an alert that my artifact had been moved from its proper place, but I looked and it's right where it should be.

must have been the wind

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kenning posted:

For underground power generation my understanding is that you want to dig your millrace channel all the way to the edge of the map, then smooth the tiles on the edge and engrave them. That way water can fully run off the map. I've never done this though, that's just what I've heard.
Unless something changed while I wasn't looking, you can just make a closed loop with a pump in it to make the water move, and power the water wheels that way. One water wheel makes 100 power and one pump takes 10 power.

GruntyThrst posted:

Okay i give up, how do I link stuff from imgur now? if I [img] the share link nothing posts
If it doesn't end in .png/.jpg or something, what you're trying to do is link the page, not the actual image. You need to link the image.

Question: is it yet possible to embark directly into the caverns if your embark area contains a dwarven tunnel?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I seem to have accidentally drowned a goblin kidnapper or thief when I channeled into the river to fill my aqueduct. Fun!

Now that my moat and aqueduct are filled and my carving of the cliff face is done, the only way into my fortress is via the bridge at my front door. Those goblins are gonna have a difficult time infiltrating from now on.

Edit: Speak of the devil! A thief and kidnapper both got caught right outside at the edge of the moat, and ran away before they could do anything.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 12, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tarezax posted:

Considering that my fortress has had three different necromancers immigrate so far, I think the incidence of necromancy in worldgen may be a mite overtuned, but it sure is generating some weird and wonderful history.

Yeah, apparently the evil tablets that carry the secrets of necromancy will just end up in a dwarven settlement sometimes after the tower is defeated. Nobody thinks having the profane knowledge of life and death laying around is a big deal, so people regularly get curious and learn the dark arts, and the legends end up with a lot of necromancers. Or so I read from one of Toady's posts iirc.

Tunicate posted:

weird, got an alert that my artifact had been moved from its proper place, but I looked and it's right where it should be.

must have been the wind

*Indiana Jones gif*

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

This guy here is the luckiest son of a bitch in the whole fort. While he was working there working the glass furnace a giant cave spider came from god-knows-where (the walls don't go quite all the way to the ceiling, but they are 2 levels tall so it would be difficult but not impossible to climb) and gave him those scars. The only reason he survived with those scars and didn't become a corpse is because the spider seemingly fell its rear end into the hole under the furnace and was burnt to cinders in the magma. I didn't see it, but centering the view from the combat log puts the spider's last location at the top of the furnace.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

your dwarf is now qualified to star in either terminator 2 or wild wild west

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 12, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This fort is goin pretty well

The entrance is a ramp up a mountainside then a ramp down into it

That ramp leads to the entrance shown here. Just a lot of general all storage dumping grounds + finished goods for the trader depot. North of the trade depot are the guild halls, and in the top right is the mayor's house, dining room and office, way away from everyone else. And of course a large pit in the middle.

The next floor down has nothing except a ring dug around the pit. But down one more floor is my magma forge room, turns out lava is way easier to work with than expected. There's an engraved slab memorializing a miner who fell into the lava.

Then you go down one more floor and oh my god I am so sick of building bedrooms when will it end I hate this, I hate it, stop coming to my fort, there are too many of you already, no more bedrooms!!!

There's another two whole floors of bedrooms exactly like that! All I am allowed to do is build and furnish bedrooms 24/7.

Anyway I plan to fill the pit with lava and it will look cool.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 12, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I have almost as many entertainer visitors hanging around as I have total dwarves in my colony now, I guess the word is out that the volcano tavern is the hot new place to be.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I had a gorlak wander up from the caverns and get totally loving mangled in an anti-troglodyte trap. While it was dying surrounded by its own severed limbs and gore, it spoke and said "I am very badly hurt. There is no hope." I genuinely might get rid of the traps after this, I'm heartbroken lmao

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I dug as far down as I can go on a lark, and i was able to wall off the deep caverns as soon as i found them without anything nasty getting through, but now creepy crawlies are spawning around my fort.

they especially like my depot. I don't think they're doing any harm? But I'm pretty sure they're attracting vultures, and that's not ideal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Augh!! Tried to reclaim my fort and was immediately beset by countless ambushes with each discovery of a roamin' antman all across the map, surface and in the city. Luckily spawned with all my dwarves loaded up with gear! Was able to get to work and fight off some Ants. But then friggin game crashed again. Dunno if this place is bugged or what.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

I dug as far down as I can go on a lark, and i was able to wall off the deep caverns as soon as i found them without anything nasty getting through, but now creepy crawlies are spawning around my fort.

they especially like my depot. I don't think they're doing any harm? But I'm pretty sure they're attracting vultures, and that's not ideal

if you use small animal traps, they're edible

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Khanstant posted:

Dunno if this place is bugged or what.

Must be the antmen...

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Odd, the work order to encrust with gems doesn't have anything about a target"

It's fiddly, but if you don't use a work order, you can set up a nearby stockpile that only stores items you want to decorate. Then you can select the workshop and set it to only take items from that item stockpile and a stockpile with, say, gems. Tell them to encrust/decorate and they should only use materials from those stockpiles.

I like to set up separate shops for decoration and do them in batches. You can, for example, decorate armor with your group's symbol before assigning it to guards. If you only want to decorate to increase value a work order is easier, but you lose some control.

e: actually a work order will also be fine if you only use the one workshop with stockpile links for it.

Promontory fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 12, 2022

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm having a very hard time finding any of the caverns, which strikes me as odd. My starting point is high up on a mountain with the valley at about 35, but at this point I've dug down to Level 20 and have yet to find anything despite exploratory-mining most of the map every five levels. Is it possible that I'm bracketing some layers or am I just still not deep enough?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Has anyone else had a problem with militias running off without their weapons? Even when they're holding them, I've seen them throw down their axes to go pummel a giant bat or whatever when there's nearby attack.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm having a very hard time finding any of the caverns, which strikes me as odd. My starting point is high up on a mountain with the valley at about 35, but at this point I've dug down to Level 20 and have yet to find anything despite exploratory-mining most of the map every five levels. Is it possible that I'm bracketing some layers or am I just still not deep enough?

You don't get the message until you actually break through so it's entirely possible to miss them completely.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Redeye Flight posted:

The elevation number is the z-level height relative to sea level (I think), you'll want to get to minus numbers, you've got plenty more digging to do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can do a lot of specific bullshit if you go through the motions. It's nice that you can do it though, because you can specify not only the specific material of a statue or other piece of art, but also what image it should depict. So you can put a really nice statue of a dwarf in chains begging a hammerer into your prisons so they feel better about it.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Is there anyway to mass select placed items like beds to move or even destroy? I'm trying to relocate my fortress a few levels down into the stone parts and the prospect of individually moving however many beds (and statues) I have placed is making me think about giving up and starting a new one, which is a shame because I made it seven years on the fort I did the tutorial with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

AnarkiJ posted:

The elevation number is the z-level height relative to sea level (I think), you'll want to get to minus numbers, you've got plenty more digging to do.

Hey, fine by me. Most of my fortress is jammed way up higher on the mountain rather than spread out through it anyway. So long as I just have a ballpark to aim at then that's fine with me. My fort is looking very nice so far. Already got hatch covers layered on the main stairway at regular intervals, so I'm not concerned about hitting anything at this point that can get out of hand before the military can get down there. Time to just go full Drill Baby Drill.

The part that DOES concern me is just how fast the fort is expanding. It's like year 4 and I can't stop getting migrants, I'm up to 160+ population. I'm generally assuming that's still rookie numbers, but the rate of expansion is still consistently outpacing my ability to dig bedroom and dining room space to keep up, let alone make sure my food and drink infra can (though food is alright for now).

I'm also collecting QUITE the menagerie that I just keep packing into the open-air enclosure on the roof with all the animals the migrants keep dragging along with them (and the vast dog dynasty that's grown out of my two starting dogs, but those handle themselves). I'm starting to get the birds handled into indoor coops, but what's the best way to deal with all the other animals? Every time I miss one showing up it consistently wanders the halls until it starves to death, so I'm not sure if there's any real way to encamp other animals belowground.