Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

widespread posted:

Okay, fresh Level 30 Zealot finally. Now what do I spend my stupid plasteel/diamantine on specifically before I just piss it all into something that rolls hosed?

And also, do I look for high Damage rolls in gear or per weapon basis?

IMO, spend resources on weapons that roll +340 item power and have good stats, and by good stats I mean check whatever associated stats there are for the weapon in question (mouse over them in the inspect screen) and see if the ones that have good effects rolled high. High damage isn't strictly the best stat since I imagine damage breakpoints become very hard to reach in the higher difficulties, but at this point in the game's life it's probably a safe rule of thumb to go for more damage and faster attack speed (especially faster attack speed, associated stats are Finesse and Crowd Control) over defensive stats. This applies doubly to ranged weapons, where you probably wouldn't care for better dodging or whatever and just want to put out as much damage, impact, and suppression as you can.

Big IMO here, of course, people are still working out the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Penances do not roll over, if you're wondering. Do 'em or lose 'em.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

widespread posted:

Okay, fresh Level 30 Zealot finally. Now what do I spend my stupid plasteel/diamantine on specifically before I just piss it all into something that rolls hosed?

buy knives, tactical axes, eviscerators, columnus autoguns, flamers, bolters, and kantrael XIIs that have stat rolls between 360-380. upgrade em as you can, hope for good perks/blessings I guess

damage is good but stats are still a bit of a question mark. for example, mobility seems to make a really big difference - you can tell the difference on running with a 80 mobility knife, versus a -10 one, or weapon with no mobility stat. I'd probably prefer mobility 80 and damage 60 than vice versa.

edit: also, it being fatshark, there is absolutely no guarantee any of this stuff works as advertised and it could in fact work opposite. i wouldn't be surprised if they hosed up the numbers on something like finesse and it does the opposite of what it says, or just doesn't apply, or whatever. some stats nerd will have it mined out and a youtube explainer in a month probably, until then - :shrug:

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 12, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just want my 2H chain axe. I've been using a normal chain axe a lot lately and I've grown to like it a lot more than I thought I would.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

widespread posted:

Now I have everyone to level 30

I'm checking the shop for desirable weapons with a high base power then visiting Hadron to get them up to at least blue quality and above. As I've been mainly been focusing on my Sharpshooter and Psyker, I'm looking for Kantreal XIIs, Catachan swords or power swords, force swords and purgatus/voidstrike/surge staves, buying anything that's a base power upgrade from my current, and then spending what crafting mats I have to bring them to blue or purple quality. I had been blowing my Melkcoins on random pulls but that's not really been satisfying, I mean I'm fine with greys but the base power levels are what I'm chasing and most of the time I'm just getting vendor trash.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

S.J. posted:

I just want my 2H chain axe. I've been using a normal chain axe a lot lately and I've grown to like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Really? I find the light attack "bite"to be awful and the heavy attack to be the only thing you can use

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO, spend resources on weapons that roll +340 item power and have good stats, and by good stats I mean check whatever associated stats there are for the weapon in question (mouse over them in the inspect screen) and see if the ones that have good effects rolled high. High damage isn't strictly the best stat since I imagine damage breakpoints become very hard to reach in the higher difficulties, but at this point in the game's life it's probably a safe rule of thumb to go for more damage and faster attack speed (especially faster attack speed, associated stats are Finesse and Crowd Control) over defensive stats. This applies doubly to ranged weapons, where you probably wouldn't care for better dodging or whatever and just want to put out as much damage, impact, and suppression as you can.

Big IMO here, of course, people are still working out the meta.

terrorist ambulance posted:

buy knives, tactical axes, or eviscerators that have stat rolls between 360-380. upgrade em as you can, hope for good perks/blessings I guess

damage is good but stats are still a bit of a question mark. for example, mobility seems to make a really big difference - you can tell the difference on running with a 80 mobility knife, versus a -10 one, or weapon with no mobility stat. I'd probably prefer mobility 80 and damage 60 than vice versa.

I bought this Lasgun since it had some choice stats. Then this is what I got from repeated Consecrations.

Mobilty and stopping power looked good, Stability was eh since I haven't noticed much recoil issues yet. That said, what the gently caress does it mean by Salvo to my Shouty woman.

Then, on the mission I hit 30 on, this drops as an Emperor's Gift:

Have to heavy attack Carapace Armor, but literally anything else (Unyielding excluded probably) I think I can deal with.

And because of a lack of self control, I did this:

I did it on a 2nd curio and it gave me +experience gained and I just said I'm done for the evening.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Really? I find the light attack "bite"to be awful and the heavy attack to be the only thing you can use

The light attacks tend to just kill things though, so it's situational. If you're overwhelmed by numbers you should either be heavy attacking or, more realistically, push attacking. The push attack is an insanely fast horizontal sweep that you can absolutely chew through hordes with. The stagger from that is often enough to let you get 1-2 light swings in on flak armored enemies, which will almost certainly kill them, before you do another push attack. It definitely takes time to get used to though. The eviscerator is certainly more straightforward.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If I'm going to be overwhelmed by numbers it's time to break out the flamer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I appreciate their dedication to a bit. You can almost see the details through the three pixels this screenshot contains.

My god my goon are you running this on a intel integrated card from 1999

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
By all means it seems like that Fatshark's response to the FOMO of the cash shop is to just, remove the timers. The shop items haven't changed at all even though the timers indicated they'd have changed last week lmao.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, sometimes the loading time to go back to the hub after completing a mission is so loving long. It's a real drag.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Was WoW the first game to color-code loot quality progression as grey/white < green < blue < purple < orange?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Republicans posted:

Was WoW the first game to color-code loot quality progression as grey/white < green < blue < purple < orange?

Diablo 2 was pretty similar depending on where you put set and crafted items

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, even with all the complaints on balance and bugs atm, it sounds like folks would still recommend grabbing this game at this stage? I've played a few rounds on GamePass and am thinking of just biting the bullet and grabbing on Steam, but with enough other games on my plate, I'm wondering if I should grab this noe and play with pubbies every now and again to build up a character for when the game is on 100% solid ground or just wait.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
frankly you would not be remiss to wait until they roll out more stuff that was cut from schedule for release, like the new og weapons coming down the pipeline.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Man, sometimes the loading time to go back to the hub after completing a mission is so loving long. It's a real drag.

Making the hub a public area was one of the stupidest things

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Making the hub a public area was one of the stupidest things

It would be good if there were some kind of communal activity/interaction/communication, as it stands it's just a fashion runway to sell cosmetics

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/YrC5qsL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cdBI0vX.mp4

Take your veteran to work day is going great

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

By all means it seems like that Fatshark's response to the FOMO of the cash shop is to just, remove the timers. The shop items haven't changed at all even though the timers indicated they'd have changed last week lmao.

I bet they have to rework the shop to show extra stuff without rotating old stuff out.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Memnaelar posted:

So, even with all the complaints on balance and bugs atm, it sounds like folks would still recommend grabbing this game at this stage? I've played a few rounds on GamePass and am thinking of just biting the bullet and grabbing on Steam, but with enough other games on my plate, I'm wondering if I should grab this noe and play with pubbies every now and again to build up a character for when the game is on 100% solid ground or just wait.

Depends on how starved you are for a coop horde shooter. It may as well be sold as early access as it is, lacking features/content. For me it fulfill's my short checklist of what I want in a coop shooter, its kind of a genre that has been somewhat ignored over the years. KF2 is that one I keep going back to now and then.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want the bolt revolver that rannick uses.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Memnaelar posted:

I'm wondering if I should grab this noe and play with pubbies every now and again to build up a character for when the game is on 100% solid ground or just wait.

It's basically early access, so whether that's worth $40 to you is your call. If I thought I was gonna play like 40 hours and put it down, I'd wait, but I put like 10 times that into vt2 and this is pretty much exactly as fun and also broken as that game was on launch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

100% of the things people complain about are completely true, but I've also already got my money's worth out of the game and will be playing it for awhile further yet, so I'd say it's a safe purchase as you've confirmed you can run it ok on gamepass

The game is in a weird place where pretty much everything you can see in the hub is completely unfinished, from itemization to class perks to weekly challenges to real-time mission selection limitations to idiotic cash shop bullshit to the design of the hub itself, and yet once you're actually in a mission, the game is very fun to play and surprisingly doesn't have very many bugs compared to the dev's previous games. There are a lot of serous design issues that will come up if you want to tryhard the game on the hardest difficulties, and god help you if you really want to engage with the itemization mechanics, but if you are ok with ignoring that stuff to just hang out with friends on medium difficulty in a cool coop melee game there is plenty of fun to be had here

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I fired up Vermintide 2 and the progression between them is night and day. That said its a lot better in VT2 then I remember so I hope DT only gets better from here.

The moment to moment gameplay is fun as though. A few friends and I did difficulty 3 mission with the darkness modifier and it was one of the most tense and exciting co-op mission I've done in these games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

vermintide 2 was a loving nightmare when it launched compared to vt1 though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally got a Power Sword and I am very disappointed. The charge attack is good but having to charge an attack every 3 swings sucks and makes it feel much less efficient than the melee weapons I'm used to from Zealot or the ogryn butcher that can just spam light attack for the same blender effect. SMH at people calling Veteran "the best melee class"

e: Dagger/Revolver veteran feels loving awesome and is very strong and I guess I could do the same thing on Zealot too, it's a fun build.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 12, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

vermintide 2 was a loving nightmare when it launched compared to vt1 though

and compared to darktide frankly

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

I finally got a Power Sword and I am very disappointed. The charge attack is good but having to charge an attack every 3 swings sucks and makes it feel much less efficient than the melee weapons I'm used to from Zealot or the ogryn butcher that can just spam light attack for the same blender effect. SMH at people calling Veteran "the best melee class"

e: Dagger/Revolver veteran feels loving awesome and is very strong and I guess I could do the same thing on Zealot too, it's a fun build.

My first impression as well. Are there different makes of power sword?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Grognan posted:

and compared to darktide frankly

yeah ive been playing darktide. i had to wait for the first vermintide 2 post-launch update to play it bc it was so hosed. at least none of the weapons in this can crash other people in the party like saltzpyres brace of pistols could

ninjoatse.cx posted:

it has unlimited cleave or near enough when charged so you can just cleave through an entire crowd, and its also very effective against armoured dudes. once you get the rhythm down its annoyingly superior to the other options

it is insanely baffling to me that the chain axe has lower light attack damage than the chainsword, while being slower, and the heavy sword having lower light attack damage than any non-heavy sword. did different people balance each weapon type on this game?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 12, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

No, there's basically only one version of the cool weapons in the game. All the stupid ones have like 4 variants.

Except the ripper gun, which is both cool and has 3 versions

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

look the game needed more unusable headhunter autoguns there wasnt time to make more marks of the good weapons

S.J.
May 19, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

look the game needed more unusable headhunter autoguns there wasnt time to make more marks of the good weapons

We NEED four different tactical axes, none of which can be used as a throwing axes, but only one chainsword or thunder hammer

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

speaking of tactical axes i would like an autoclick toggle for this game so i can use the faster melee weapons without getting RSI also

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Tactical axes with the "ignore hit mass on weak spot kill" blessing are actually really good and Heresy+ worthy.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

widespread posted:

I bought this Lasgun since it had some choice stats. Then this is what I got from repeated Consecrations.

Mobilty and stopping power looked good, Stability was eh since I haven't noticed much recoil issues yet. That said, what the gently caress does it mean by Salvo to my Shouty woman.

So apparently; a salvo starts when you fire a shot. If you continuing firing follow-up shots before your recoil has fully reset, subsequent shots are counted as being part of the same salvo. Once your recoil fully resets and you fire, that's a new salvo.

Obviously grain of salt, Fatshark, what even is coding etc etc.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

S.J. posted:

No, there's basically only one version of the cool weapons in the game. All the stupid ones have like 4 variants.

Except the ripper gun, which is both cool and has 3 versions

Two small things I wish the game would do:

1.) When I compare items, let me compare to anything in my inventory, not just the item I have equipped. Comparisons between different items is basically useless anyway. I want one of everything eventually.

2.) When I inspect a weapon's moveset, show me a little video in the corner of all the attack patterns. Don't make me memorize all the god damned moves of all your Mks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

AndyElusive posted:

My money is on it being a "social hub" so a good chunk of the load time is actually it connecting you to an instance, which would explain why sometimes it's a 30s load and others it's a 2m+ load. And also why earlier on during "pre-release" sometimes you'd get a really long load time and then it'd boot you to the character select with a connection error.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here is the thing to understand about contracts: Sire Melk's shop items do not have higher rolls than regular shop items, they're just already boosted in rarity

Stop worrying about contracts entirely, you will get drabs of his currency just by playing and only occasionally will you see anything worth buying in his shop. Instead the optimal thing to do is regularly check the regular shop, pick up stuff that's rolled highly on base stats and has an interesting first blessing, then workshop that stuff up.

Workshop mats do require a grind, but they are at least a consistent grind and you get more in maps on higher difficulties.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

melk is like gheed in diablo in that he exists to victimise people with a specific type of brain poisoning and will be ignored by everyone else. hes kind of a baffling inclusion (beyond checking a box in the 'stuff games-as-service has to have' that is)