Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Central heating is out, emergency repair guy called, the best time of year to need a £48 an hour repair job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's this one weird trick involving tealights and plant pots that Big Heating doesn't want you to know...

This is my first winter in a detached house as opposed to a maisonette and I didn't realise how cold it would be downstairs regardless of what the heating is set to.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Central heating is out, emergency repair guy called, the best time of year to need a £48 an hour repair job

My boilers been on a work-to-rule type thing for the last week where it heats up the house "a little" and then cuts out. My plumber has similarly been unable to get here until (hopefully) today, I guess it's the busy season. I miss being snuggly

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Check the pressure gauge if it works for a bit then shuts off. If it's low you need to open the tap and fill it up (and there's probably a leak somewhere).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

Check the pressure gauge if it works for a bit then shuts off. If it's low you need to open the tap and fill it up (and there's probably a leak somewhere).

My pressure dropped last year after about 2 weeks of not being home during the winter and there isn't a leak as far as I know. Just needed topping up and it was fine. If the pressure KEEPS dropping, then yeah probably a leak.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yeah I pretty much know what the issue is. Used to have to top it up regularly because of a slow leak in the pressure relief valve, then plumber messed with it so now when it heats up the pressure jumps to 3bar and shuts off. So either the pressure valve or the expansion vessel needs replacing. Debatable how much of this is old boiler vs iatrogenic

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/can_cagzimm/status/1602061976129110016
https://twitter.com/anna_damski/status/1602073845556514818
[/quote]

We got trapped in this last night - instead of 2.5hrs from the Chunnel to home it was 6.5, three of which were spent stationary and the rest was doing no more than 40mph through unploughed snow and slush.

We were coming back from a weekend in France, and I had a rant all prepared about how stark the difference is now going from the UK to continental Europe - our destination was a city broadly equivalent to our home town in the UK (dunno why I'm being so cagey - we went to Metz) and it was genuinely shocking to wander around and realise "Oh yeah, this is what a first-world country without crippling regional inequality and an amoral political system is like...look, there's a person sweeping the street, and here's an open library...and a post office bank...look at this covered market that's not just vape stalls, American candy stands and phone repair booths...huh, a multimodal transport system run by the municipal government with a flat charge of €1.50 per trip anywhere in the city...what unworkable fantasy is this?"

France is not a utopia, and certainly not a progressive utopia, and has all sorts of social, political, ethical etc. issues to grapple with. But it does pass the test of "functional nation-state" which I increasingly doubt the UK does for most of us. And slamming straight off the Eurotunnel into a four-hour traffic jam caused by;
a) a shortage of ploughs to keep the nation's busiest motorway around its capital city free of four inches of snow
b) the inability of one in every three people to not be selfish pricks and not try to drive through that snow at 70mph before crashing and blocking the one passable lane
really just brought that home.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1602235552144695296

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

We got trapped in this last night - instead of 2.5hrs from the Chunnel to home it was 6.5, three of which were spent stationary and the rest was doing no more than 40mph through unploughed snow and slush.

We were coming back from a weekend in France, and I had a rant all prepared about how stark the difference is now going from the UK to continental Europe - our destination was a city broadly equivalent to our home town in the UK (dunno why I'm being so cagey - we went to Metz) and it was genuinely shocking to wander around and realise "Oh yeah, this is what a first-world country without crippling regional inequality and an amoral political system is like...look, there's a person sweeping the street, and here's an open library...and a post office bank...look at this covered market that's not just vape stalls, American candy stands and phone repair booths...huh, a multimodal transport system run by the municipal government with a flat charge of €1.50 per trip anywhere in the city...what unworkable fantasy is this?"

France is not a utopia, and certainly not a progressive utopia, and has all sorts of social, political, ethical etc. issues to grapple with. But it does pass the test of "functional nation-state" which I increasingly doubt the UK does for most of us. And slamming straight off the Eurotunnel into a four-hour traffic jam caused by;
a) a shortage of ploughs to keep the nation's busiest motorway around its capital city free of four inches of snow
b) the inability of one in every three people to not be selfish pricks and not try to drive through that snow at 70mph before crashing and blocking the one passable lane

Yeah but we name our gritters cute names like Gritty McGritface & Sweet Child O'Brine (the latter is currently in Forfar) & Gonnae Snow Do That

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

learnincurve posted:

It was my local council that once forgot to order grit, couldn’t find any for sale anywhere so used table salt in the gritters instead.

That was the year every pavement turned into 2 inches of black ice.

I might need to salt my driveway, is table salt no bueno for this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when the snowmen would come in your yard to collect the snow in a proper metal bin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah but we name our gritters cute names like Gritty McGritface & Sweet Child O'Brine (the latter is currently in Forfar) & Gonnae Snow Do That

That's Scotland and I expect your gritter programme is functional as well, this is an England problem

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

I remember when the snowmen would come in your yard to collect the snow in a proper metal bin.

I thought he burst in through your bedroom window, kidnapped you without adequate clothing and dragged you through the freezing sky to your death.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lungboy posted:

I might need to salt my driveway, is table salt no bueno for this?

Well it depends on what you want

From what LC said I think if you want two inches of black ice then yes, it's muy bueno

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You generally want something like calcium chloride mixed with gravel. The magnesium salts they sell as bath flakes would also work mixed with gravel. Washing soda mixed with gravel would probably work in a pinch. The gravel is the bit that stops it just refreezing into slicks though.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I thought he burst in through your bedroom window, kidnapped you without adequate clothing and dragged you through the freezing sky to your death.
I think that's Prince Andrew.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, regular salt alone will just melt the snow into water, which will then freeze into pure ice.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I might need a trip to a local grit bin then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

That's Scotland and I expect your gritter programme is functional as well, this is an England problem

Wow, I didn't realise England was so deprived of dad jokes

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Lungboy posted:

I might need a trip to a local grit bin then.

council padlocked the one at the end of my street, fancy squire padlock and all, none of that masterlock bullshit

someone smashed the hasps off the plastic and took the lock and the top layer of salt away

there's kind of an impermeable salt monolith left that I don't think is removable even after my lad gave it a few kicks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

impermeable salt monolith
Stanley Kubrick's GB News

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I went to our nearest grit bin and it has a padlock on it now. Those damned youths taking shots of grit in summer ruining it for all us sensible adult folk.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I went to our nearest grit bin and it has a padlock on it now. Those damned youths taking shots of grit in summer ruining it for all us sensible adult folk.

My folks local grit bin was leaking salt into the ground & killing their hedge so the council had to move it & I've no loving idea where to.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t remember the last time I saw a wild grit bin

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That's funny, I seem to be saying "well, England doesn't often get snow like this so it's a waste of money to prepare for it properly" every year

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
We don't need cheap nuclear power in ten years, I say, every ten years ago, every year. Hello, Mark, yes?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Everything is frozen solid today and not thawing. There is this fog hanging over.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Look who else has noticed the country has collapsed into an unworkable shithole lol

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1602073719815512071

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BalloonFish posted:

https://twitter.com/can_cagzimm/status/1602061976129110016
https://twitter.com/anna_damski/status/1602073845556514818

Lot of French people in France though.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 12, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bristol has a bunch of grit bins all around the city centre. Coincidentally we aren't currently plastered in snow by now makes u think

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
If Bristol went ungritted the pileup would make a nice dam on the Avon

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rarity posted:

Bristol has a bunch of grit bins all around the city centre. Coincidentally we aren't currently plastered in snow by now makes u think
Grit bins keep the snow away.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Bristol must be a nightmare.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This country falls apart at the slightest change in weather from standard dreary drizzle. What a poo poo hole.

Has the UK ever worked or has it just been in a downward spiral since the 70s?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Has the UK ever worked or has it just been in a downward spiral since the 70s?

Clearly you don't remember the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony please don't mention the staffing shortages or needing to bring the military in to actually run the games

Mebh
May 10, 2010

mrpwase posted:

That's funny, I seem to be saying "well, England doesn't often get snow like this so it's a waste of money to prepare for it properly" every year

Only Kindness posted:

We don't need cheap nuclear power in ten years, I say, every ten years ago, every year. Hello, Mark, yes?

It does make me wonder if our country has ADHD as the entire nation seems to exist on an intention deficit disorder like me trying to water the plants, trim the roses or do anything long term where the rewards aren't immediate. Huh, that's capitalism...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why think about long term goals when there is some new very important social panic to get annoyed about.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's the penises gerald! some of them might have penises! and they could be in the ladies!!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

blunt posted:

Clearly you don't remember the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony please don't mention the staffing shortages or needing to bring the military in to actually run the games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqM0Ube0oLs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I posted about the PASS (Citizen) card for voter ID on my fb last night. One of my tory-voting friends roughly my age commented that she knew nothing about it (requirement for voter ID) and the comment was basically along the lines that I was making it up :) God I hope the tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one (even if it's just old dears peddling up to the polling station without whatever photo ID they might have because they don't realize they need it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why think about long term goals when there is some new very important social panic to get annoyed about.

Its all so manufactured. Its got to be a willing agreement to not look at this point. I just hope that by some magic the PLP trip and fall into a well over christmas.

It was very depressing listening to Owen Jones this morning while making breakfast going on about how he thinks Burnham being leader would solve many of labour's issues.

Are they even competent enough to try to do a tory new leader, new party BS? Even though its the same ghouls running it? Does it matter? I think most left of center will absolutely jump at any chance to return to voting Labour.