Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If they make IE the main product I will ask for a refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

If they make IE the main product I will ask that you play it more

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I prefer RoC over IE any day, more interesting map and you get cutscenes when you achieve big things like getting a soul(you have to get four so you get four story cutscenes about how the bear god Ursun is doing. He dies most of the time) or fighting the Bella Core. IE doesn't even have achievements but you can get 100% completion if you play RoC.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

RVT posted:

Besides holding to their word from 10 years ago which is a partially separate issue, I think the discussion is which approach actually leads to CA making more money.

I think making IE accessible for all owners of 3 would lead to more sales of 3, which currently gets the smallest discounts and is the least popular (sales-wise) entry in the series. As far as I’m concerned, 3 is IE because RoC is the least compelling main scenario in the series.

Gating lords and factions behind other purchases would be the obvious and already-established compromise. The DLC and added factions are huge, making them originally was a lot of work, and integrating them into IE has been and continues to be a lot of work so I don’t see a problem for them asking to be paid for it. And of course, players should always wait for sales to grab that stuff.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 12, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

if they make IE the main product i'll maybe post in favour of it or maybe against it

who knows

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Incidentally, for people saying that they’d ask for a refund if IE became the main product, go do it because they’ve already said it’s where they’re focusing the vast majority of their efforts going forward. I don’t know why you’d want a refund since RoC is a full-fledged campaign and the DLC moving forward will likely add to it, but do what you feel you must.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I do hope they port the vortex campaign over to WH3 just so I don't have to go back and download WH2 if I ever feel like playing it. I'd like to have some smaller, more focused campaigns to play around with when I don't feel like playing on the big map, or scenarios a la the civ series.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i would like a refund for the empire faction please

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I'm not sure how many heroes this is true for, but if you have a Chaos sorcerer of Slaanesh it's impossible to spend all the skill points they accumulate.

Yeah, it's a known problem related to raising the level cap to 50. If I'm not mistaken, they've recognized that they're going to need to go back and revamp/add to skill trees across all the factions to alleviate the issue. They've also said they want to revamp red-line skills to be more about buffing units generically, rather than only buffing specific units from a faction's roster. (Like the WoC lords, where the red-line buffs "non-demonic melee" or "demonic melee" or whatever, rather than only those specific units named in the skill.) So it looks like a general skill tree refresh is due for IE at some point, but that's probably a LOT of loving work.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Twigand Berries posted:

i would like a refund for the empire faction please
Volkmar the Win beckons you to the best campaign they've got.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
RoC is pretty great... if you get the CoC DLC. I just finished an Azazel campaign and boy are my balls tired.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 13, 2022

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

house of the dad posted:

I do hope they port the vortex campaign over to WH3 just so I don't have to go back and download WH2 if I ever feel like playing it. I'd like to have some smaller, more focused campaigns to play around with when I don't feel like playing on the big map, or scenarios a la the civ series.

This would be really cool and I had the same thought but it seems more unlikely than making IE not require 1 and 2.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, it's a known problem related to raising the level cap to 50. If I'm not mistaken, they've recognized that they're going to need to go back and revamp/add to skill trees across all the factions to alleviate the issue. They've also said they want to revamp red-line skills to be more about buffing units generically, rather than only buffing specific units from a faction's roster. (Like the WoC lords, where the red-line buffs "non-demonic melee" or "demonic melee" or whatever, rather than only those specific units named in the skill.) So it looks like a general skill tree refresh is due for IE at some point, but that's probably a LOT of loving work.
Even in RoC / CoC I barely got one lord to the point of daemonic ascension by turn 149, and I won the game on 150. Since that cuts your level in half I can’t imagine it being worthwhile unless you went for a very long IE campaign.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 13, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

OwlFancier posted:

At the top left of the screen there is an extra icon you can click which opens SFO settings and one of them is campaign pace, which includes changes to growth.

Also if you turn off taxes it adds 50 growth to the province, so it is a good idea if it isn't a particularly profitable one.

Good to know thanks!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Letting people play IE without having the previous games seems like an everyone wins situation. Newer players don't have to go back and buy all the extra game to get to play IE, but they're probably going to anyway and make CA money because every single LL and faction they run into on the big world map they don't have access to is going to tempt them to buy the related DLC or game.

Doomykins posted:

Ding ding ding.

It's free real estate. They can even include a little unified banner in the roster selection so people can see how much they get if they buy WH1 or WH2.

Vargs posted:

This game is trash if you don't have IE and I would never recommend anyone pick up just TWW3. Telling people to purchase all 3 expensive games to get enjoyment out of it is also ridiculous. Instead, they should probably just not buy anything. The current model is fine for someone who's been along for the ride the entire time but is unbelievably stupid for anyone new coming in.

The petition has around 20k signatures so far. I definitely don't begrudge people who only purchased TWW3 access to Immortal Empires, because it's definitely the better mode and should be the way the single-player game is presented to new players. I did not like Realms of Chaos even though it had some cool concepts I'd like to see added to IE (maybe something with gates, the realms themselves but def not the win condition)

I don't think it will work even if it's pretty easy to do because CA, like most companies, is focused on short-term profitability and has executives that are completely detached from the reality. Plus it would mean admitting a mistake with Realms of Chaos.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
FYI the biggest AI cheat in the series is still in TW3: I had an LL faction on the ropes and razed their last settlement, only for them to confederate a minor faction with 5-6 territories over the end-turn.

It was Greasus, so maybe I’m wrong if Ogres can force-confederate by beating each other’s faction leaders like Norsca…?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Shumagorath posted:

FYI the biggest AI cheat in the series is still in TW3: I had an LL faction on the ropes and razed their last settlement, only for them to confederate a minor faction with 5-6 territories over the end-turn.

It was Greasus, so maybe I’m wrong if Ogres can force-confederate by beating each other’s faction leaders like Norsca…?

It wouldn't be a surprise if they could do the Orc/Norsca thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
No that's not a thing for Ogres. That's just the AI loving you over

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whomever he confederated only had one settlement visible to me, so I razed it and never saw Greasus again despite another fifty turns at war.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Communist Thoughts posted:

nah i think the discussion is which approach is morally correct and leads to the most elves being killed

Playing Vermintide has made me hate elves. I already wasn't a fan, but doing dozens of runs with a smug, condescending elf has made me like Drycha even more

E: in my latest campaign, Arkhan took the Maelstrom at about turn 80 with a 12 stack of skeletons and hexwraiths. The AI accomplishes weird poo poo sometimes

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Door Frame posted:

Playing Vermintide has made me hate elves. I already wasn't a fan, but doing dozens of runs with a smug, condescending elf has made me like Drycha even more
The antidote for this is hearing the lamentations of your IE co-op friend playing as Imrik or Teclis.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Found a few more bugs with dwarves in coop campaigns. In one with thorek/krocgar the relic in the lizard capital didn't get counted even though it is supposed to count since we are allies. I guess the only way to get it would be for him to gift me his capital if that's even possible.

And this one is probably not coop related but as thorgrim you have a grudge to win 5 battles against crooked moon. My 5th battle wiped out their faction and it looks like it cancelled the grudge before completing it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Extreme lumberfoot energy.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Even in RoC / WoC I barely got one lord to the point of daemonic ascension by turn 149, and I won the game on 150. Since that cuts your level in half I can’t imagine it being worthwhile unless you went for a very long IE campaign.

Lol you just wanted other poo poo at the chaos store it’s a great store they have great poo poo always spend more souls than I intend

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

where do I start gamer petitions?

I would like to play dwarfs in RoC. I paid for dwarfs a couple times. I think even GW got some of that dwarf $$

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Twigand Berries posted:

where do I start gamer petitions?

I would like to play dwarfs in RoC. I paid for dwarfs a couple times. I think even GW got some of that dwarf $$

Give me 20 buck and it'll happen

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I categorically refuse to believe anyone has beaten RoC more than twice. It's the most utterly boring and on-rails campaign I've ever seen in a strategy game. I would rather replay the tutorial minicampaign.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I think making IE accessible for all owners of 3 would lead to more sales of 3, which currently gets the smallest discounts and is the least popular (sales-wise) entry in the series. As far as I’m concerned, 3 is IE because RoC is the least compelling main scenario in the series.

Warhammer 3 had the second biggest launch of a TW title after Three Kingdoms. It already is the most popular entry in the WH series.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
We got lumberfoots in here? :smug:

Squibbles posted:

And this one is probably not coop related but as thorgrim you have a grudge to win 5 battles against crooked moon. My 5th battle wiped out their faction and it looks like it cancelled the grudge before completing it.

Happened to me in single player, spent an extra turn sacking the last settlement.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Electronico6 posted:

Warhammer 3 had the second biggest launch of a TW title after Three Kingdoms. It already is the most popular entry in the WH series.

Yeah, SEGA was concerned about post-launch sales; the launch was really good sales-wise.
Also I want to remind everyone that back during WH2 the Vortex campaign was just as reviled to the point that CA stopped making lords that interacted with it and the biggest point against Ikit was that he had to deal with Vortex bullshit. Porting Vortex or even the Old World campaign (basically Mortal Empires with a quarter of the content) is very unlikely to happen.
In fact back during launch the most mindboggling part of RoC is that they took all the mistakes from Vortex and doubled down on them.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm liking these new short victory conditions. I actually finished another playthrough for the first time in a while, and having more focused objectives helped.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Electronico6 posted:

Is this being padded by game pass numbers/MS creative accounting or does this apply to actual sales?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
lol

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Is this being padded by game pass numbers/MS creative accounting or does this apply to actual sales?

Just going by Steam numbers alone.

Three Kingdoms had a launch of 191k players, WH3 had 166k players, Wh2 had 72K(It did peak 2 years later at 84k!) and Wh1 had 111K players.

https://steamcharts.com/app/779340#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/1142710#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/594570#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/364360#All

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Electronico6 posted:

Just going by Steam numbers alone.

Three Kingdoms had a launch of 191k players, WH3 had 166k players, Wh2 had 72K(It did peak 2 years later at 84k!) and Wh1 had 111K players.

https://steamcharts.com/app/779340#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/1142710#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/594570#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/364360#All

Fair enough, though it looks like TW3 numbers cratered hard that second month and didn’t start picking up again until IE beta released. I guess that cratering is the reason why I thought it sold poorly. It wasn’t unpopular in terms of launch sales; it was just unpopular in every other way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
everyone in the thread was pretty much, did roc once, waiting for IE

and now we are waiting for chorfs

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It launched alongside Elden Ring while not having that much replayability and also having significantly less content than the previous game in the franchise. RoC being bad bad at release certainly didn't help matters lol IIRC people felt the same way when 2 launched.

I don't expect WH3 to be as long-lived as 2 FWIW but it doesn't need to be. Release Chorfs, release a lord pack for Kislev and Cathay and you're pretty much set. Unless things go horribly wrong I assume that'll be the state of the game by 2024 (lord pack early 2023, chofs late 2023, lord pack early 2024).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
RoC wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. By the time IE released, RoC seemed like it was in a good spot, but I haven't checked. I don't enjoy most of the new factions, so there's not much for me in that campaign

Doomykins posted:

We got lumberfoots in here? :smug:

Vargs posted:

Extreme lumberfoot energy.

That's going in the book

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Letting people play IE without having the previous games seems like an everyone wins situation. Newer players don't have to go back and buy all the extra game to get to play IE, but they're probably going to anyway and make CA money because every single LL and faction they run into on the big world map they don't have access to is going to tempt them to buy the related DLC or game.

I guarantee you (not you specifically, but anyone reading) that they've had these discussions internally as well and long before we've been arguing it in this tread. It seems that for now they have decided on not making it available to everyone is the financially most viable option. My guess would be that whenever they think they can get the biggest sales bump they'll go: "As of today, Immortal Empires is available to everyone who owns TW3". My guess would be in preparation of or coinciding with the next big DLC drop.

Their philosophy for making FLC available is exactly the same: "Sure, you might have stopped playing for a while and weren't planning on buying our latest lord pack, but why don't you fire the game up to check out this cool new FLC lord? Incidentally there's a bunch of new units for that faction you're going to pay with if you buy the DLC." It will be enough for a number of people to push them to buy when they weren't planning, and the free poo poo pushes their game to the front page of gaming news sites like reddit.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

I guarantee you (not you specifically, but anyone reading) that they've had these discussions internally as well and long before we've been arguing it in this tread. It seems that for now they have decided on not making it available to everyone is the financially most viable option. My guess would be that whenever they think they can get the biggest sales bump they'll go: "As of today, Immortal Empires is available to everyone who owns TW3". My guess would be in preparation of or coinciding with the next big DLC drop.

Their philosophy for making FLC available is exactly the same: "Sure, you might have stopped playing for a while and weren't planning on buying our latest lord pack, but why don't you fire the game up to check out this cool new FLC lord? Incidentally there's a bunch of new units for that faction you're going to pay with if you buy the DLC." It will be enough for a number of people to push them to buy when they weren't planning, and the free poo poo pushes their game to the front page of gaming news sites like reddit.

yes they even released this post which confirms that they are thinking hard about things that are important to us all and they will continue to look forward to thinking hard about these things next year too lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/zjyj6c/ca_is_discussing_internally_the_barrier_entry_of/
legnedoftotalwar delivers again