Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's why playing Path of Exile is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked AC Odyssey to be fair but that’s because it has Kassandra, a protagonist with an actual personality that I actually wanted to spend time with. Anyone who played it all with the guy is a maniac

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Larry Parrish posted:

It's not like I've never listened to regular music or a podcast while zoning out half paying attention to games but deliberately seeking out that tier of boredom is one of the most insane things I've ever heard in my life.
What do you mean, I don't deliberately seek out your posts

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Hearing everyone go on about how Ubisoft is for the plebs and indie games is where you go for deep meaningful experiences is just as embarrassing as the guy talking about mindshare.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Hearing everyone go on about how Ubisoft is for the plebs and indie games is where you go for deep meaningful experiences is just as embarrassing as the guy talking about mindshare.

:thanks:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ubisoft games are fail. "Hon hon hon, I will make ze jou merde" - my impression of a ubisoft developer

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"flow state" should be when you get absolutely in the zone in something really high-intensity like tetris or a rhythm game or some poo poo, not the kind where you just collect map icons

yeah i feel like 'flow state' is definitely not the equivalent of staring at a wall for hours smoking a cigarette. ive done that and this kind of gaming and both only when super depressed lol. it's like anti stimulation. just enough flashing colors and muscle movement so your subconscious doesn't start screaming for you to do something before you die. it's mental life support.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ubisoft games literally make me feel like I'm dying lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be fair i've definitely heard flow state as that kind of brainless trance state. i've mainly heard it to describe gambling addicts who sit at slot machines for hours. take that how you will re: Ubisoft games

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be fair i've definitely heard flow state as that kind of brainless trance state. i've mainly heard it to describe gambling addicts who sit at slot machines for hours. take that how you will re: Ubisoft games

:ohdear:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Local Posters Shocked to Learn Different People Like Different Things

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Counterpoint.

Ubisoft makes good games to catch up to podcasts to.

You don't get flowstate from them but you can still time travel catching up and the stupid ubisoft things.

Let people enjoy things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

Local Posters Shocked to Learn Different People Like Different Things

I see you’re new to the Parrish

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

webmeister posted:

Yeah it's always been one of the weird things about AC - almost nobody likes it, but the devs are wedded to it as a core part of the franchise, so it's here to stay unfortunately.

Odyssey is actually pretty good, it's the best of the "modern" three (Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla), and up there with the best of the 360 era games as well. But yeah you absolutely should play as Kassandra, not Alexios.

Is there a difference dialogue/story wise?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Ubisoft's stuff is safe and risk-averse, that much is obvious. But it's fairly well done and polished stuff, enjoyable to play, accessible, as hard or as easy as one likes, and so on.

"Pointless street-cred" means just that. Announce that one likes (for example) Ubisoft games (though their corporate practices leave something to be desired), and there's someone telling why one shouldn't. It's pointless.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to me a flow state is when MW2 and tribes ascend were the hot new fps games and i played them 8 hours a day, constantly trying to find the perfect silenced ump 45 rusher build or perfecting my cap routes on every map. im focused. im in the zone. and i don't even have music on because it's distracting me from pwning noobs. anyway nothing's ever sucked me in as much since then.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

I don't think so, though I've never played with Alexios.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

apatheticman posted:

Let people enjoy things.

people can enjoy bad games op, they're still bad

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

1glitch0 posted:

Dialogue- and story-wise, no, but Kassandra's voice actor has way more range, so the funny moments are funnier and the heavy moments are heavier. Not that anything's, like, wildly funny or heavy, mind, it's just that Kassandra's actor does a better job with it all. You do miss out on evil Kassandra, though, so there's that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ubisoft games are great when you get them on sale for $10.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The last game to give me the flow state was Return of the Obra Dinn

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

Let people enjoy things.

Anyone who posts this OR the comic it comes from should be permabanned immediately no exceptions

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Tony Hawk games were the best flow state games.. That's my main reason for hoping for the ActiBlizz to go through so we get more Tony Hawk games and remasters!!

I dunno if it matters with the licensing expiring in 2015 or whatever though. I am not a lawyer!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

apatheticman posted:

Counterpoint.

Ubisoft makes good games to catch up to podcasts to.

That's what walking/hiking is for

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Podcast are for cleaning the house, doing laundry, taking a walk, building a model or computer, or organizing a file system. If I have to listen to a podcast to make a game interesting I just stop playing that game

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Holy gently caress. Did anyone else see that kid get on stage during the game awards? I think he might be alt right, due to the 3 or 4 words he said.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm glad the sad losers who actually play Assassin's Creed games got ones they agree are good because half of general games threads like this used to be people arguing which were "the good ones"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pewdiepie posted:

Holy gently caress. Did anyone else see that kid get on stage during the game awards? I think he might be alt right, due to the 3 or 4 words he said.

At least he didn't say that he likes to play Ubisoft games, that would be truly unforgivable.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Feels Villeneuve posted:

people can enjoy bad games op, they're still bad

If it brings joy than how can it be bad OP?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive helpfully pointed out the problem op

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I don't see it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ubisoft games put me in a flow state alright

diarrhoea flowing into my toilet!!!

if someone said this arleady, 🫡

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive helpfully pointed out the problem op

ah it’s cos it’s an Xbox game

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

I love the Xbox Series X, Edge browser, and searching on Bing.

Yup, I love my free MS points that I spend on free games every year. Between that + GamePass I think I've spent less on video games than ever yet still play a ton.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yup, I love my free MS points that I spend on free games every year. Between that + GamePass I think I've spent less on video games than ever yet still play a ton.

I got my Series X near launch and play it drat near every day. When I got it I did the gamepass deal and picked up a $50 gift card. Between gamepass and the free rewards money, I still have money left from that gift card.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyway, XboxEra just gave a glowing review of High on Life. Anyone else seen anything about it?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I came back to The Division 2 to nice I saw it has a Series patch. Looks and runs fantastic.

I'm sure it will end up being a grind with bullet sponge enemies but I'm having fun for now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Lammasu posted:

Anyway, XboxEra just gave a glowing review of High on Life. Anyone else seen anything about it?

This will probably be how I will react to the game. The beauty of gamepass is not only do you get to play and discover boatloads of epic games but also that you get to install lovely ones risk free to uninstall after 15 minutes and subsequently trash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lammasu posted:

eurogamer gave it an “Avoid” review, and they dole out maybe five or six of those a year. seems bad

e: apparently the irony poisoning is even more suffocating than the marketing made it sound. ten hours of being elbowed in the ribs and told “boy this uh th-thuh-this game sure sucks, h-huh”

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Not sure why we couldn't get a souls-like set in The Wall from Solar Opposites (many people are saying this).