Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Musk is gonna try to make a bid for US president as a Republican, isn't he?

no, republicans hate a loser like musk. trump won't even post with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

a7m2 posted:

pretty sure, even with how poo poo this SCOTUS is, they also don't have anyone to answer to and letting a foreigner be President is probably a bridge too far

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

a7m2 posted:

Well, last time a fragile narcissist got his fee-fees hurt was Obama roasting Trump to his face in 2011ish, so...

(Elon can't run for president but it'd be 'Mark Zuckerberg trying to endear himself to voters' level of content.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"I can't run for president? Woke mind virus. Reply 'YES' to this twitter poll if you want me to be president!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cool, Elon is now on par with trump for brain melting and general cognitive deterioration, except he totally lacks Diaper Don's unwitting wit and posting spirit.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

a7m2 posted:

Nah he's too big a pussy for that.

He's gonna armchair quarterback the GOP's frontrunner and insist any vote tallies are wrong.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
god hes so loving lame

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Cool, Elon is now on par with trump for brain melting and general cognitive deterioration, except he totally lacks Diaper Don's unwitting wit and posting spirit.

Again, it can't be stressed enough how unfunny and a charisma vaccum Elon is, even compared to Trump.

Trump could at least make a joke or nickname that lands, this dude just goes WOKE WOKE WOKE WOKE LE EPIC MEME WOKE WOKE JEWS WOKE WOKE SPACE etc.

He's so painfully unfunny and loving boring

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Elon turned up as a +1 to a comedians gig. imagne trump doing that? he just wouldn't ever go to something which wasn't 100% dedicated to him and he'd be at least 40 minutes late getting on stage.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Again, it can't be stressed enough how unfunny and a charisma vaccum Elon is, even compared to Trump.

Trump could at least make a joke or nickname that lands, this dude just goes WOKE WOKE WOKE WOKE LE EPIC MEME WOKE WOKE JEWS WOKE WOKE SPACE etc.

He's a markov chain (?) that was trained on contrarian Reddit takes made flesh.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm suspecting he will make a "surprise" appearance at the turning point usa event lol

He might get the reaction he wants from that crowd

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So, this latest episode sparked a very stupid question and quick research is not turning up a satisfying answer.

Scientifically, what is louder, a cheer or a boo?

Online you see some quotes about how boos are louder, but that is just coming from sensitive entertainers used to hearing cheers and probably all they can focus on is boos. My instinctive hot take was that cheers were louder because I anecdotally have noticed many times where a few people attempting to boo are drowned out by cheers, but when a few people try to cheer when you know its a hostile crowd you can hear the cheers pretty clearly.

I had assumed that someone must have studied this and done some measurements at some point, but if anyone has I cant find it.

TulliusCicero posted:

The setup just also does not get any better than a Chappelle crowd after they had been laughing at his set for a long time, in the best of all possible moods, getting introduced by him as a guy you should cheer. If THAT crowd boos you, then your reputation is laughably bad.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 12, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it's not like it matters, elon would get laughed out in the primaries anyway

like even if trump drops out (toilet death) by 2024, elon would still get clowned off stage by literally anyone else

he might be able to hold his own against, like, ted cruz, but even that I'd call even odds

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump, while not a particularly great poster on average, is a poster with a significant library of proster greatest hits.

Elon Musk just wanders in a circle whining like a weird rich homeschooled kid, and has none of the traits of a poster, much less a proster.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I imagine that Elon actually had a set prepared as he did say he wanted to get into standup. Now I'm curious what those "jokes" would have been.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

hemale in pain posted:

Elon turned up as a +1 to a comedians gig. imagne trump doing that? he just wouldn't ever go to something which wasn't 100% dedicated to him and he'd be at least 40 minutes late getting on stage.

Not only did he do that, but then made the ENTIRE show about HIM and just kept going, then made the Comedian loving DEFEND him and turn the entire act into "must protect Papa Musk".

I would be furious if I payed for tickets and some rich guy just hijacked an entire comedian's set.

He's just so utterly self-absorbed and loving boring, it's so painful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

I imagine that Elon actually had a set prepared as he did say he wanted to get into standup. Now I'm curious what those "jokes" would have been.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

no, republicans hate a loser like musk. trump won't even post with him.

I agree, but that doesn't stop him in other situations

I forgot you have to be born in the US to be a US president (I'm not American)

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Harminoff posted:

"Hey folks. How's it going? So transgender offspring am I right? Anybody else here get disowned by their own children for being an insufferable bigot? Kids these days"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TulliusCicero posted:

I love that Elon's twitter AV has clearly been photoshopped to hell and back because the guy in real life has the skin texture of an oatmeal raisin cookie made from a car tire.

He's the only person who keeps their loving Halloween costume as their main profile pic long after the day passed.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rigel posted:

So, this latest episode sparked a very stupid question and quick research is not turning up a satisfying answer.

Scientifically, what is louder, a cheer or a boo?

Online you see some quotes about how boos are louder, but that is just coming from sensitive entertainers used to hearing cheers and probably all they can focus on is boos. My instinctive hot take was that cheers were louder because I anecdotally have noticed many times where a few people attempting to boo are drowned out by cheers, but when a few people try to cheer when you know its a hostile crowd you can hear the cheers pretty clearly.

I had assumed that someone must have studied this and done some measurements at some point, but if anyone has I cant find it.

The setup just also does not get any better than a Chappelle crowd after they had been laughing at his set for a long time, in the best of all possible moods, getting introduced by him as a guy you should cheer. If THAT crowd boos you, then your reputation is laughably bad.
I'd want to say that boos might be heard at a lower volume because you usually boo at a lower frequency which tends to be felt more than heard, whereas cheering you usually are at the top of your vocal register, but the range of human voice isn't super huge, so perceived volume is likely an emotionally reactive reflex than anything else.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

(Elon can't run for president but it'd be 'Mark Zuckerberg trying to endear himself to voters' level of content.)

I remember when Zuck posted a pic of himself holding a funnel cake or some other garbage with the caption "Iowa is my kinda place!" and some journalist said he's trying to sneak into politics with all of the grace of a blind gorilla trying to shoplift an air conditioner.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Did you ever notice how men always leave the toilet seat up?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Now for my Woody Allen impression, I'm a neurotic nerd who likes to sleep with little girls.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really understand what the threat of trans people are

Since I know we have tons of transfolk here on SA maybe someone can succintly describe why it terrifies some people so much. It seems like such a non problem and it's weird how much discourse is spent on the subject in America

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

"You ever been at the IVF clinic impregnating another subordinate and this happens to you..."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Not only did he do that, but then made the ENTIRE show about HIM and just kept going, then made the Comedian loving DEFEND him and turn the entire act into "must protect Papa Musk".

I would be furious if I payed for tickets and some rich guy just hijacked an entire comedian's set.

He's just so utterly self-absorbed and loving boring, it's so painful.

It was apparently near the end of Chappelle's set. He'd been performing for a while so the crowd got their money's worth, and honestly I would have liked to be a part of that moment booing Elon anyway, making him simultaneously surprised, stunned, and sad.

I'm guessing (and this is all a guess which could be wrong) that Chappelle was at least clued-in enough to how people feel about Musk to know this might go very badly, but he was being paid so much loving money by Elon to set him up for whatever stupid lame jokes he was planning to tell, that he just smiled, cashed the check, and let Elon think going into it that everything would work out. When it didn't, he probably figured he at least had to try a couple times to get the crowd back since he was probably being paid to give Elon his big moment.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This might be the funniest tweet in history. It is seriously a contender against the time Trump went to Twitter to explain that the ramp was a deviously dangerous obstacle for him :allears:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Since I know we have tons of transfolk here on SA maybe someone can succintly describe why it terrifies some people so much. It seems like such a non problem and it's weird how much discourse is spent on the subject in America

they will steal your musician girlfriend by not being a awful person

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I am pretty sure well-known lovely rich person Dave Chappelle is actually real-life friends with Elon Musk

this is a thing comedians do, their friend hears they're in town and is like hey can i pop on stage, usually it's other comedians, like how dave popped on for mulaney's show. but dave's brain is so rotted he's letting elon on stage.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Nothing says “free speech advocate” like deriding critics as “infected” by a “woke virus”.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Probably, but I choose to believe it cost Elon 80 million dollars to appear on that stage.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Homophobes, conservatives, and the religious right lost the culture war over whether gays and lesbians have the right to exist in public in America. For decades they tried to call all gay and lesbian people a threat to children, including conflating them with pedophiles.

So now they've just shifted to a culture war over trans and non gender confirming people to keep things going. And they're also hoping to win so much on trans issues that they can reopen the anti-gay culture war to start relitigating the rights of gays and lesbians. (The UK is very much at that point.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zzulu posted:

Conservatives need a boogeyman (boogeyfolk?) to be on the hook for everything that's wrong with society and a reason to keep people scared and tuning into the news.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Probably, but I choose to believe it cost Elon 80 million dollars to appear on that stage.

i get it, it's easier than admitting they're very likely rich conservative transphobe bros

no one saw it coming that the guy who made chapelle show would eventually be like, now hold on these rich white people might have a point after all. we do agree on hating trans people.

but here we are

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zzulu posted:

Alot of insecure men are terrified they will be attracted to a Trans-woman and thus be "gay" in their minds: that's some of it

Some women are TERFs that are horribly insecure themselves.

A lot of it is "SCIENCE (my Bible) tells me that there are only 2 GENDERS!"

some of it is just oppression for oppression sake because it's an easily victimized group.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Zzulu posted:

If you really dig down into it, it's another anxiety manifesting from patriarchal white supremacy. If you can't rigidly define who can bear children it's harder to subjugate them based on their biology and it's harder to claim something where a white man is at the top is the "natural" order.

Same with the hatred for any queer people. Anyone who isn't in a heterosexual relationship is a threat to the "white man is the head of the household, his wife and their children are subservient to him".

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Zzulu posted:

When you're the reason your constituents don't have safe roads, clean water, or affordable healthcare, you need a Boogeyman. "They gays" doesn't work anymore, so they just took the same old list of accusations and redirected it.

Also the online alt right trial runned it for them.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think Elon and Trump should kiss, go swim in thier money, and board a SpaceX together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
apparently the thing that universally breaks rich men is they/them pronouns