Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you have a tavern on the dirt levels or above ground, you can also increase the room value by building a floor of something valuable, like if you have a bunch of gold or platinum bars spare. As a bonus, constructed floors can't be destroyed or stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a better way to store stone and ore than "a big fuckoff stockpile," since they can't stack or go in bins apparently?
step 1: make a 1x1 garbage dump zone(not stockpile)
step 2: mark all the stones you want for dumping, preferably when there's not much else for dwarves to do
step 3: reclaim all dumped stones(open lock icon)

congratulations, you can now have literally any number of stones all sitting on top of each other on a single tile.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

nielsm posted:

There are two kinds of aquifers, light and heavy.
Light aquifers are very slow, you can dig a staircase through, mine around the staircase, and construct walls in the mined-out area. As long as you have materials for the wall prepared and free dwarves to construct, it's quite easy.

Please note that light aquifers also produce water from the ceiling. You have to channel out the entire area and replace it with constructed floors in addition to surrounding it with constructed walls to seal it off. Multi-level light aquifers are a royal pain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zurai posted:

Please note that light aquifers also produce water from the ceiling. You have to channel out the entire area and replace it with constructed floors in addition to surrounding it with constructed walls to seal it off. Multi-level light aquifers are a royal pain.

Can't you just continuously dig a 3x3 hole downwards and keep building walls along the edges?

IIRC aquifers don't produce water diagonally, so it should always just be the walls you need to worry about, just dig down a couple extra z-levels when you punch through it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 12, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

Best way to store stone is to turn them into blocks and crafts, queue up a ton of "make stone blocks" in the stone workshop and you'll have tons of building materials (1 stone = 4 blocks) that are storable in bins and much lighter for dwarves to haul around. Blocks serve much the same purpose as stones, you can use them to build construction/workshops.

My main issue is ore and flux stone taking up space right now (this is partially my own fault, admittedly), I assume using those to make blocks means I can't use them for their "normal" purposes?

emdash posted:

In case you haven't seen, when you make a hospital zone, it needs some assignments in the zone-specific menu (doctors and surgeons minimally, i think). May as well set the chief medical dwarf to that

Yeah, I had him set to diagnosis because it seemed like getting that right/done faster was the most important bit. Maybe I'll move him to something else since one of my recent migrants is a decent diagnostician.

Thanks for the advice all!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 12, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I’m in year 5 of my fort and we’ve made it through fire breathing mega beasts that burned down the entire map (except my moat protected fort!), giants of every kind, siege after siege, etc but the biggest problem is that I have 197 dwarves - by far the most I’ve ever had in any fort and 49 drinks left.

I could not figure out why no one was planting anything since my stocks show plenty of seeds and i always set a stock pile for seeds only.

Turns out my barrel of seeds was in a bag in another stock pile way deep down in my fort.

I hope we can make it out of this!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mst4k posted:

I’m in year 5 of my fort and we’ve made it through fire breathing mega beasts that burned down the entire map (except my moat protected fort!), giants of every kind, siege after siege, etc but the biggest problem is that I have 197 dwarves - by far the most I’ve ever had in any fort and 49 drinks left.

I could not figure out why no one was planting anything since my stocks show plenty of seeds and i always set a stock pile for seeds only.

Turns out my barrel of seeds was in a bag in another stock pile way deep down in my fort.

I hope we can make it out of this!

Just forage, you should be fine

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Running out of alcohol will drastically slow labor but as long as you have a designated source of drinkable water (which you also need for medical purposes anyways) your dwarves will still live. Getting indoor plumbing up and running is one of the first big projects I undertake in any given fort, and once you've got the hang of it you'll only gently caress up and flood the place once every couple of attempts. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What's my best option for a Temple? I'm up to around 100 dorfs and they don't seem to be happy with my huge generic temple, I usually only get 2 or 3 going in there. I was thinking of splitting it up into a few sections of the most popular religions and maybe keeping a part generic for the rest. Do they need anything besides the normal decorations and an altar?

I think the elves are getting pissed about me cutting down trees (and accidently offering an animal bone cage in trade) so I made a moat and bridge into my fort and have two squads training up just in case. At the rate I'm getting migrants I'm going to have to dig out a big dormitory because they're coming in faster than I can get new rooms built.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Tambaloneus posted:

I don't seem to be able to sort stuff in bins properly. I turned off "shells" items in every stockpile that accepted finished goods and turned one to only shells and all I get is mussel shell crafts every-dang-where but the one stockpile I set up for it. I mean, I have an entirely mussel based industry but gods trading is so painful when I have to keep clicking individual one of the hundreds of bastards because there's like 1 splint in the bin or several of my goblets.

If anyone knows of a mod that lets it select everything in a bin so I can just turn off the few things that need to stay or what I set so that all my shell crafts are stocked on their own that'd be awesome. Otherwise I might just sacrifice the occasional thing bc ow my rsi.

I had a similar problem with shells. I am not totally sure I understand what you need in this situation, but for me it went like this:

I had 1,000,000,000 turtle shells so i made tons of turtle shell stuff. It was getting sorted in with other finished goods, so I made a separate stockpile for finished goods, disabled everything, then enabled turtle shells. It didn't work! I was confused, but it turns out the problem was that some of those settings aren't types of items- it's quality. So I had actually created a stockpile that takes turtle shell finished goods, but NOT if they are [masterwork, artifact, excellent, good, normal, any quality level in the game], and NOT if they are [necklace, amulet, bracelet, ring, any type of finished good in the game]. So effectively, it takes nothing.

All I had to do what set the stockpile to take material: shell, and takes ALL the item types and quality levels. Then you can just disable 'shell' on your normal finished goods stockpile, and they'll remove all shell items, and sort them separately.

Very annoying to figure that out, but it's actually a cool system. Whatever your specific fortress has way too much of, you can single out and put elsewhere. My nobles keep banning amulet exports, so I can even make a stockpile just for my shell amulets, disable amulets for my 'shell' stockpile, and that way, i can just sell an entire bin of everything-shell-but-not-amulets!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr E posted:

What's my best option for a Temple? I'm up to around 100 dorfs and they don't seem to be happy with my huge generic temple, I usually only get 2 or 3 going in there. I was thinking of splitting it up into a few sections of the most popular religions and maybe keeping a part generic for the rest. Do they need anything besides the normal decorations and an altar?

I think the elves are getting pissed about me cutting down trees (and accidently offering an animal bone cage in trade) so I made a moat and bridge into my fort and have two squads training up just in case. At the rate I'm getting migrants I'm going to have to dig out a big dormitory because they're coming in faster than I can get new rooms built.
Some people will have probably asked you for a temple/priest at this point. You can do those. It's usually the largest sects.

You can look in the drop down when assigning a temple for either an entity or a sect that you can assign a temple to. Personally I'd build a cluster of them rather than one big one but it's up to you, I just don't like vast open halls too much.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Mr E posted:

Have you added any instruments/wealth to it? I had a generic temple with a chest of instruments and enough gold statues to get it to the highest wealth level which seemed to take care of most of my dwarves. I had 5 smaller ones dedicated to the specific gods with the most worshippers, those ones I just stuck silver statues in to get them up to the second wealth level.

e: Also I don't know if adding more altars to the large temple actually makes a difference but when I had multiple I noticed more dwarves going up to them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

Some people will have probably asked you for a temple/priest at this point. You can do those. It's usually the largest sects.

You can look in the drop down when assigning a temple for either an entity or a sect that you can assign a temple to. Personally I'd build a cluster of them rather than one big one but it's up to you, I just don't like vast open halls too much.

Alright that makes sense, my temple is gigantic in comparison to some of the other gathering places and that might be a reason they're not going there much too. I'll just see what my citizens are wanting.

i vomit kittens posted:

Have you added any instruments/wealth to it? I had a generic temple with a chest of instruments and enough gold statues to get it to the highest wealth level which seemed to take care of most of my dwarves. I had 5 smaller ones dedicated to the specific gods with the most worshippers, those ones I just stuck silver statues in to get them up to the second wealth level.

I have a few instruments and a floor but haven't got around to statues and engravings/smoothing since I've been dealing with population explosions. I'll make sure to pretty up the zones once I get them split up.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tip for farming, I did the usual farm in the soil layer and found my results to be pretty lovely, even with fertilizer. Then I recalled listening to Tarn on a podcast discussing the new farming in cavern mechanics. It's a huge difference, maybe 5 times as much output? The soil farm has a spot where it mentions poor yield, the cavern farm does not say poor yield.

This was on top of the ground fungus layer itself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Broken Cog posted:

Can't you just continuously dig a 3x3 hole downwards and keep building walls along the edges?
You certainly can with stairs, I've done this pretty frequently. Don't know if there's any sort of situations where this doesn't work.
(Except I do a 4x4 staircase and build walls around the edges of it, I wouldn't normally recommend stairs with 1 width due to pathfinding concerns.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yooper posted:

Tip for farming, I did the usual farm in the soil layer and found my results to be pretty lovely, even with fertilizer. Then I recalled listening to Tarn on a podcast discussing the new farming in cavern mechanics. It's a huge difference, maybe 5 times as much output? The soil farm has a spot where it mentions poor yield, the cavern farm does not say poor yield.

This was on top of the ground fungus layer itself.

So far farming underground, is it literally anywhere underground, or do you need to make muddy ground like before, or what?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So far farming underground, is it literally anywhere underground, or do you need to make muddy ground like before, or what?

If it's soil you can just start farming. But if its rock you need to run water over it to create mud for farming.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i enclose a box on the surface for farming with stone walls and tunnel up to it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gosts posted:

Guildhalls and demonstrations are cool but my guys just LOVE watching demonstrations. I've got like 30 people in each guild hall just watching people milk an imaginary udder and I would really like them to BUILD some ROOMS so they can sleep in them

When this happens, I think the only thing you can really do to slow it down is to disable the room for a while

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Super No Vacancy posted:

can i enclose a box on the surface for farming with stone walls and tunnel up to it

You sure can! There may be unforeseen consequences

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

like what

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

If I remember correctly it will continue to be treated as outdoors for the purposes of which plants can grow. Not sure whether the roof will stop outdoors plants from growing or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

Remember to build a roof.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

You certainly can with stairs, I've done this pretty frequently. Don't know if there's any sort of situations where this doesn't work.
(Except I do a 4x4 staircase and build walls around the edges of it, I wouldn't normally recommend stairs with 1 width due to pathfinding concerns.)

Yeah, I just gave it a shot, not too bad digging down a 2x2 stairs and removing the walls, like so
code:
 XX
XOOX
XOOX
 XX
and quickly rebuild the walls around the stairwell. Just chop down some trees around the hole first to have some building materials on hand.
Seems to work flawlessly for a light aquifer, though it's some busywork, especially if the aquifer extends for 7+ levels.

Also, thanks game for dropping my dwarves straight on top of an angry panda for my first attempt.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 12, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There may be unforeseen consequences

I'm just gonna end any question response or advice post with this now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think i knew you could build roofs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fun, potentially!

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm just gonna end any question response or advice post with this now.

:)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
something to keep in mind with taverns, guildhalls, temples, etc. is that dwarves have internally tracked needs that those locations fulfill, and will prioritize fulfilling them until they catch up. this means that when you first build them, especially if you've been slow about getting around to it, they'll have a huge backlog to work off -- but they will eventually settle into a more relaxed schedule. and you do still want to build them because if dwarves don't fulfill their needs their work gets slower and slower over time anyways

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

My cavern is lousy with young trees, which block my farm plots. Is there a good way to remove those?

The workaround I've been doing is building and deconstructing floors.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Do you still need dfhacks and other external tools to make management painfree, or is the new GUI good enough to handle all that stuff now?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's plenty of pain

But a lot of stuff is improved

(Some stuff is worse somehow)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Uniforms seemed to be hosed, cant get dwarfs to pick bolts, i tried everything

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can farm on muddy tiles, or soil tiles anywhere. The easiest is dig down a layer or two when it's soil and go, but the yield sucks. The cavern levels itself, like the ones you breach and get a message, have exceptional yields but it has to be the cavern floors, not just rock tiles you've carved out next to it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Grizzlepages is turning into a bit of a spiral at ~170 pop. First I opened the fungal caves at elevation ~-105 not realizing that this would cause about 40 dwarves to run headlong into danger to do . . . something. Collect webs? Except they all said "store item in stockpile."

The native lizard people were not too pleased and slaughtered about 20-30 unarmed dwarves over the course of a month. Finally my squads arrived and were able to overmatch the lizards--but then a deep pit opened and let out a weregecko. After that I basically wrote off exploring it for the time and decided to do some conquests instead.

After conquering the nearest two goblin settlements, a massive goblin siege arrived and asked to parley, but then began slaughtering people outside my fort, so they had to be dealt with. I lost eight or so dwarves but successfully fended off the siege. However, now there are 60 residents in the unhappy range of emotions, and my FPS is grinding down to 20. I'm trying to atom smash enough to recover it, but it is taking a long time. I might just have to start another embarkation

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

A few things, in order of how much I think they help:

Try keeping that squad on ready instead of off duty. They no longer carry equipment by default and only pick it up when activated so they often seem to forget to pick up bolts in the dash to get it when activated by orders or schedule.

Don't put ammo in bins. Other bin related bugs seem to be better, but I still don't trust this with ammo.

Maybe try assigning them to be hunters, it seemed to work before other things because they'd already be carrying bolts for hunting.

Don't delete the original uniform with crossbows in it, one of the theories I've seen tossed around is there is some unseen component with that uniform that makes bows work.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hihohe posted:

Delete your squad entirely, then make a new one and assign the same dwarves with the same custom uniform you created. Make sure to update your training area to belong to the new squad. That's what fixed this for me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a guide on how to do real excavation to hunt down ore/gem veins? I'm kind of just digging long single-width corridors down and if I find something dig out a big square there. Is there a better way?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Is there a guide on how to do real excavation to hunt down ore/gem veins? I'm kind of just digging long single-width corridors down and if I find something dig out a big square there. Is there a better way?

That's basically the best way I know of. That and paying attention to layers. Like if you're looking for a specific material or type of material the wiki should be able to tell you the kind of layers you need to look for.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How do I find out what happened to something? Like, there's a dead frog here with blood spattered about. I assume a dwarf killed it. How do I find out who/when/why/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What worked for me:

1. New uniform, explicitly assign crossbow
2. Save uniform
3. Equip squad, assign uniform
4. The red weapon icon on the left should turn yellow/ green if they are successfully assigned a crossbow.
5. IF THEY ARE NOT: you need to make more crossbows and RE-ASSIGN the uniform or they will never pick one up
6. If it turns green, a quiver icon should appear between the armor icons and the backpack icon. It is automatically assigned based on them being assigned a crossbow. If that turns green they have been assigned a quiver
7. If it does not you need to make more quivers and RE-ASSIGN the uniform. Again, only assigning the uniform again seems to get them to pick new stuff up.
8. If the quiver icon is green, whenever they go to pick up their uniform, another bolts icon should appear next to it. This means they've been assigned bolts top use. It goes away when they put away their uniform.

My marksdwarves have been working just fine with a custom metal armor uniform this way. I set them to staggered training schedule and they alternate between hunting and training in the barracks/using archery targets.

It doesn't work as well as in 47 but it works well enough.