Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

With conservatives as a modern phenomenon it's trying to force a normative version of society onto everyone, no matter how out of step it is with the general public as a whole. They're always going to rally around demonizing the "other" because anything outside their conception of what a person ought be is anathema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Probably, but I choose to believe it cost Elon 80 million dollars to appear on that stage.

This is the funniest possibility, so I also choose to believe it until proven otherwise.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i get it, it's easier than admitting they're very likely rich conservative transphobe bros

no one saw it coming that the guy who made chapelle show would eventually be like, now hold on these rich white people might have a point after all. we do agree on hating trans people.

but here we are

I remember his hosting SNL when Trump won and he did a monologue about how he's willing to give him a chance. I thought it was an attempt to salvage the night from impending dread of a Trump presidency, but in hindsight I'm guessing he was just a Trumper.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://i.imgur.com/CZUwWfI.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/BIjuYM9.mp4

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zzulu posted:

I don't really understand what the threat of trans people are

Since I know we have tons of transfolk here on SA maybe someone can succintly describe why it terrifies some people so much. It seems like such a non problem and it's weird how much discourse is spent on the subject in America

Right now it's all about "Christian values" as in "we hate anyone different and always have". For years these people went after the L and G, time happened, laws passed and the "respectable" middle class hateful shits had to use their inside voices. Now these people are going after the T using the same old same old bigotry because they think they are the weakest link in the LGBT+ family, and the mortifying thing is they are right. The elephant in the room is that the LGBT+ community is just riddled with this gently caress you got mine attitude, especially from middle and upper class gay men which is the one group who could really stomp down hard and make a difference but very very few of them do because they are loving pussies who hide behind "this is a women's issue and nothing to do with me".

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's also really hilarious when you're like trans people have existed pretty much forever, but it's only like 20 years ago anyone was like wait which bathrooms have they been using all this time??????

there was a halcyon time where cis people were so unaware of trans folk, this hadn't even occurred to them and bathrooms were....well, not safe spaces, but not frought with political anxiety!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Since I know we have tons of transfolk here on SA maybe someone can succintly describe why it terrifies some people so much. It seems like such a non problem and it's weird how much discourse is spent on the subject in America

If one did a find-and-replace of “Jews” for “trans” in your post, you’d have a sentiment that a lot of people were expressing in 1920s/30s Germany. And that’s the answer to why it is happening in the USA now.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Gay for Trump could be his new pronoun

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Except during quiet periods ...when everyone was booing?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Like, Chappelle's entire comedy persona orbits around "you can't trust white people, not even once", and yet when the white guy who took out a full-page ad calling for the execution of the Central Park Five after they were exonerated rides to the WH on the backs of racist white people he's like "now let's all just take a beat and see if this actually works out"?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
TERFy (and the equivalent attitudes towards trans men) poo poo is exhausting as gently caress. I wake up, see TERF poo poo and I become tired. My trans friends are infinitely stronger than I am for having to put up with this constant stream of poo poo from every direction.

Whichever poster pointed out Musk has had more gender affirming surgery than most trans folk. Pretend i quoted you and you got to see that wonderful yellow quote box color.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Here, I share the sentiment, so I'll do it.

Robo Reagan posted:

the irony of him having more gender affirming surgery than most trans people is also a mondo lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gizmodo posted:

[Update, 6:40 a.m. ET: The footage appears to have been deleted from Twitter for some reason, but you can still watch it below.]

Elon nuked the account that Gizmodo had linked in their article. One more bot down I guess :confuoot:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's extremely funny to me that they invited someone with Musk's humor to the stage at a comedy show. Like, what the gently caress is he even there for, except for the small chance that they might cheer for him? It's pathetic

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It's pretty obvious the Elon finds himself hilarious, and there is 100% chance that he's the one who asked to be there.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Zzulu posted:

Lots of other people have commented, but the point is you need an "other" to focus on and demonize, so you can get the general public riled up about something that doesn't matter. Then you can run an election campaign based around "taking care" of this imaginary problem.

There's a local historian in Pittsburgh who shares a lot of classic photos. Right around the 2020 election he shared an old 1940s billboard the Pittsburgh GOP put up showing monstrous hands reaching for a little blonde girl and the phrase "MAKE OUR STREETS AND HOMES SAFE - VOTE REPUBLICAN!" printed

When he posted this picture a whole bunch of conservatives came out of the woodwork to say they were happy someone to see this out on the streets to get people to vote, thinking it was a current billboard. Goes to show that scare tactics will always work on a certain percentage of people.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
God, and this of course is coming after that bullshit NY Times article about his "complicated politics" that literally came out only two days ago, which if anyone didn't see basically went as so:

Anyways, ahahahaha:

Genuinely hope he sees this and gets even madder.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 12, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: account mocking him nuked in the middle of me reading the posts about it. click over to next page and it's gone

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Away all Goats posted:

It's extremely funny to me that they invited someone with Musk's humor to the stage at a comedy show. Like, what the gently caress is he even there for, except for the small chance that they might cheer for him? It's pathetic

fun fact you might not know about dave chapelle: he is a sell-out

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Decon posted:

Nah he's too big a pussy for that.

He's gonna armchair quarterback the GOP's frontrunner and insist any vote tallies are wrong.

Votes will be counted using the new VoteX e-booths, which are running on 2012 Acer Chromebooks under a retro-future plastic shell which catches fire if you attempt to vote Dem.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

kazil posted:

fun fact you might not know about dave chapelle: he is a sell-out

weird to think that if he'd just continued selling out during season 3 of chapelle's show, he wouldn't have to keep selling out now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's also really hilarious when you're like trans people have existed pretty much forever, but it's only like 20 years ago anyone was like wait which bathrooms have they been using all this time??????

there was a halcyon time where cis people were so unaware of trans folk, this hadn't even occurred to them and bathrooms were....well, not safe spaces, but not frought with political anxiety!

I have a counter for the two main terfy arguments and the only thing they can do is ignore you.

1. Men clean women's bathrooms. All any man would have to do to get in is put on high vis and walk through the door.
2. Gyms don't allow children in adult changing rooms. It's nothing to do with LGBT people, it's because of the panic over roid rage after the Chris Benoit tragedy and was mandated by insurance companies who didn't want kids in the same locker room as muscle men.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
God, just so much "I'm not upset, YOU'RE UPSET!"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602307663970213890

Kale
May 14, 2010

Is Musk going to do the Trump thing where he wen to like 3 or 4 different random sports events to find one where he wouldn't get booed and then found one at some college football game in Alabama or something that finally majority cheered for him and then just immediately ceased going to any sporting event I'm aware of thereafter and declared victory and eternal popularity?

Mmmm love me some good corn on the cob.

Don't mind me, just exercising my current right to wear or not wear a mask in public and generally opting too atm when lots of public squares are crowded and then probably not wearing one quite as much in January when they're not :shrug:

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 12, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I want the world to be simple"
"I don't want to have to press 1 for English"
"I don't want to have to think about whether that guy I know is gay"
"I want there to only be white people"
"I want everyone to be Christian"
"I want there to only be two genders"

"If the world gets complicated in any way it means I have to think about things and that hurty breain. WORLD GOING DOWN THE TUBES"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol it's going to be a post through it kinda day

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kale posted:

Is Musk going to do the Trump thing where he wen to like 3 or 4 different random sports events to find one where he wouldn't get booed and then found one at some college football game in Alabama or something that finally majority cheered for him and then just immediately ceased going to any sporting event I'm aware of thereafter and declared victory and eternal popularity?

I almost think Musk is a worse type of narcissist and the one game won't be enough. He'll just buy the team and stadium as a result of his fragile ego

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The goal of Twitter is to not be the main character for the day. Musk paid $20+ billion out of his own pocket to be the permanent main character.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Nae posted:

weird to think that if he'd just continued selling out during season 3 of chapelle's show, he wouldn't have to keep selling out now

the chaps to glinner pipeline

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

kw0134 posted:

The goal of Twitter is to not be the main character for the day. Musk paid $20+ billion out of his own pocket to be the permanent main character.

He might’ve hoped that Trump would corner his side of that market but since he’s giving him the cold shoulder he’ll have to fill it himself.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
He's going to waste all his money trying to control the world

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BigglesSWE posted:

He might’ve hoped that Trump would corner his side of that market but since he’s giving him the cold shoulder he’ll have to fill it himself.

weird that the guy who posted about how much he hates Elon won't use Elon's website that he's perma-old-man-pissed about being banned from

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Treecko posted:

He's going to waste all his money trying to control the world

Oh no. Anyway

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Data Graham posted:

"I want the world to be simple"
"I don't want to have to press 1 for English"
"I don't want to have to think about whether that guy I know is gay"
"I want there to only be white people"
"I want everyone to be Christian"
"I want there to only be two genders"

"If the world gets complicated in any way it means I have to think about things and that hurty breain. WORLD GOING DOWN THE TUBES"

Yeah, at the core of it, it's this. They're pissed off that the world isn't like it was when they were 8 years old. Childbrain is essential for conservative existence.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

learnincurve posted:

2. Gyms don't allow children in adult changing rooms. It's nothing to do with LGBT people, it's because of the panic over roid rage after the Chris Benoit tragedy and was mandated by insurance companies who didn't want kids in the same locker room as muscle men.
I thought he went kill crazy cause of the CTE from all the diving headbutts

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Macichne Leainig posted:

I almost think Musk is a worse type of narcissist and the one game won't be enough. He'll just buy the team and stadium as a result of his fragile ego

real rookie billionaire mistake to buy the stadium

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

X JAKK posted:

I thought he went kill crazy cause of the CTE from all the diving headbutts

initially it was about roid rage but it turned out it was a mix of both, because both together are basically holding cobras and taunting both at the same time

edit: if Elon has a real humiliation fetish, like Cruz level, he should buy a sports team and micromanage it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kazil posted:

real rookie billionaire mistake to buy the stadium

It's the stadium metric for billionaires. As soon as they put their name up on a stadium it's all downhill from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MrQwerty posted:

weird that the guy who posted about how much he hates Elon won't use Elon's website that he's perma-old-man-pissed about being banned from

You’re not wrong but I’m legit surprised that Trump hasn’t caved. I thought he’d be chomping at the bit to get back to Twitter and ditch his fake-Twitter faster than he’d ditch a political ally, but I guess spiteful rage can temper his impulse control.