Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

VegasGoat posted:

Link doesn’t work for me, just says news item does not exist.

Looks like they removed it. They got the emails they wanted I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

My email was willing, they could have had one more.

Firefighting game seemed like it could have been fun.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Have you already claimed the prerequisite Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wildcat gun Machine is the most 6.5/10 game I've ever played, and has an amazingly dumb disconnect between the player avatar as it's seen in the game, and every other representation of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chestnut santabag posted:

Have you already claimed the prerequisite Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium?

i have 2nd stadium and it's erroring out for me too

that thing to watch for the steam deck is today right?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

site posted:

i have 2nd stadium and it's erroring out for me too

that thing to watch for the steam deck is today right?

In just over an hour, yes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ghost of a Tale is currently free on GOG for the next 72 hours or so.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

The Kins posted:

Ghost of a Tale is currently free on GOG for the next 72 hours or so.

That looks kinda cool, thanks.
Anyone play it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dishonored 2 will be free on Twitchazon Prime on December 27, alongside a bunch of SNK ROMs.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Conflicted, because I haven't played this game yet, but very much want to.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

OgNar posted:

Anyone play it?

Yeah, it was cute and enjoyable but kind of forgettable seeing as how I remember almost nothing about it. Animations are excellent and it really gives a redwall kind of vibe. It was either very short or I dropped it after four or so hours. I'd recommend giving it a go probably.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Conflicted, because I haven't played this game yet, but very much want to.

The only one who will know is you. Unless you decide to confess we might assume you never played it. Hell, we might even assume you never even picked the title up while it was free!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

OgNar posted:

Anyone play it?
It's pretty neat stealth/adventure/immersive sim, but runs out of steam towards the end.

treat posted:

Yeah, it was cute and enjoyable but kind of forgettable seeing as how I remember almost nothing about it. Animations are excellent and it really gives a redwall kind of vibe. It was either very short or I dropped it after four or so hours. I'd recommend giving it a go probably.

It's pretty lengthy (took me 13 hours).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/behold-the-kickmen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1603061193899266048?t=IB0gIi-y-HJlPsS1HxCrYg&s=19

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm glad to see this because there was definitely some stuff to like about UT3, and maybe this means I get to play it again for a week after its free release brings a handful of people back, but man it did not live up to how outstanding UT2004 was.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They're also killing the master servers for every other UT game dating back to 1999, lol (in a sad tone)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I don't know a single person that "fell in love" with UT3. It was fine. Kind of. Sort of. But it was a major regression.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember installing UT3, thinking "this sucks rear end compared to UT2K4" and never playing it again. "Remember when everything was brown? Here it is for free"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not that i ever play multi but i thought 99 was already on some fan made master server

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm glad to see this because there was definitely some stuff to like about UT3, and maybe this means I get to play it again for a week after its free release brings a handful of people back, but man it did not live up to how outstanding UT2004 was.

Yup, call me when 2004 gets the same treatment, gently caress me that game was so good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

not that i ever play multi but i thought 99 was already on some fan made master server
There's a fan-patch for both Unreal 1 and UT99, made by the OldUnreal crew using Epic's source code (under a license that prevents them from doing crazy Doom source port stuff) but the master server is still hosted by Epic. I wonder what they're gonna do?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cartoon Man posted:

Yup, call me when 2004 gets the same treatment, gently caress me that game was so good.

The mod scene alone was the stuff of legends.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/hpMfgmpwBrQ

This was the free demo. I don’t know how many hours I logged playing this map, it’s was a poo poo ton.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played the poo poo out of the UT2K3 demo on my garbage emachines that could barely run it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cartoon Man posted:

This was the free demo. I don’t know how many hours I logged playing this map, it’s was a poo poo ton.

There are still people playing this demo online, I fired it up not too long ago.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

UT2k4 was one of the first games I remember getting proper into, never played "competitively" or anything, but I had a lot of fun shooting around with bots and a bunch of mutators

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

There's a fan-patch for both Unreal 1 and UT99, made by the OldUnreal crew using Epic's source code (under a license that prevents them from doing crazy Doom source port stuff) but the master server is still hosted by Epic. I wonder what they're gonna do?
I've been sent a quote from the OldUnreal Discord saying that they run a community master server for Unreal 1 and UT99 so they'll be fine, but they don't know what's gonna happen for UT2004. Hopefully something gets sorted out. It'd be a real pity to see a great game get run for so long before getting cast aside at a month's notice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

this is a very silly game. I still yell "do a goal!" at football matches

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm trying to remember which URT I played as a lad; I think that it was the very first GotY edition red-box one. I played in French, and I still have the voice of the announcer in my head... en pleine tête... folie meurtrière

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm trying to remember which URT I played as a lad; I think that it was the very first GotY edition red-box one. I played in French, and I still have the voice of the announcer in my head... en pleine tête... folie meurtrière

I was messing around with the graphics settings 2K4 on my laptop ahead of a LAN recently (didn't get to play it :smith:), trying to get it to run at native res, when suddenly it yells out at top volume "HOLYYYYY SHIIITTT" in front of my kids.

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure you also got Torlan map in Onslaught mode in the demo. Played the poo poo out of that.
I remember having to download the demo onto a linux machine just to be able to un-zip it, because it was compressed as .bz2 or something esoteric.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even if the oldunreal master servers work, it effectively kills multiplayer for all but the most dedicated players - you will have to start messing with your client to redirect it at the new masters, which most people are not going to do.

Sucks that Epic is a small company that doesn't have the funding to keep these old master servers running.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say if you're installing a fan patch for a 24yo pc game you're probably a dedicated player

or just playing any unreal in 2022 period

site fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 15, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

site posted:

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say if you're installing a fan patch for a 24yo pc game you're probably a dedicated player

You're not wrong, but when Wolf:ET got put onto steam a few months ago, Discords and Reddits were filled with posts from people asking how to enable widescreen, how to find servers, etc.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

You're not wrong, but when Wolf:ET got put onto steam a few months ago, Discords and Reddits were filled with posts from people asking how to enable widescreen, how to find servers, etc.
Id actually also set up some official vanilla servers in response to people complaining that the only servers up were heavily modded.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

site posted:

I still sometimes play UT99 with friends who have never played UT before; happened three times this year. When my directions are, "Install the game, it works fine, then join the server" it's pretty easy to get people to say ok! when the directions are: install, get this patch, update some poo poo in your ini files, etc., then nobody will do it. It's enough of a barrier to make people not want to play, in my experience.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kaewan posted:

Does this mean the ascii version will have the nice new menu system and actual UI?

That's the idea, as I understand it. The new UI is a fundamental upheaval of the old one and it would be utterly unfeasible to maintain both in tandem.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

aniviron posted:

I still sometimes play UT99 with friends who have never played UT before; happened three times this year. When my directions are, "Install the game, it works fine, then join the server" it's pretty easy to get people to say ok! when the directions are: install, get this patch, update some poo poo in your ini files, etc., then nobody will do it. It's enough of a barrier to make people not want to play, in my experience.

install the patch on a gog version of the game, edit whatever line in the ini, then zip up your game folder and throw it on a Google drive so they can dl it. problem solved

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You don't have to edit an INI if you're using the OldUnreal patch, it does it for you. So it's really a case of "install this, then this and you're good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EGS is doing the free-game-every-day thing again for Xmas. Today's is Bloons TD 6.