Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pillow Armadillo posted:

My party on Oregon Trail has nearly collapsed less than 200 miles from the Columbia River. While crossing from Fort Boise to Snake River, my doctor caught dysentery and proceeded to share it with two others in the group.

Close to death, we reached the Snake River critically ill, with two broken arms and faced with rapid river conditions. We caulked the wagons and continued.

About halfway across the river, my wagon tips, killing one ox and drowning the doctor and musician in the party.

The two surviving members trudge on, but having witnessed this their morale is in the dumps and they start fighting.

One party member abandons the cause. I have 120 miles left with my wagon and exhausted oxen and I'm home free.

Why didn't they ever just stop at an earlier spot, like st. Louis or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Facetious posted:

Why didn't they ever just stop at an earlier spot, like st. Louis or something

They did. Do you think anyone ever went to St Louis by choice?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pillow Armadillo posted:

My party on Oregon Trail has nearly collapsed less than 200 miles from the Columbia River. While crossing from Fort Boise to Snake River, my doctor caught dysentery and proceeded to share it with two others in the group.

Close to death, we reached the Snake River critically ill, with two broken arms and faced with rapid river conditions. We caulked the wagons and continued.

About halfway across the river, my wagon tips, killing one ox and drowning the doctor and musician in the party.

The two surviving members trudge on, but having witnessed this their morale is in the dumps and they start fighting.

One party member abandons the cause. I have 120 miles left with my wagon and exhausted oxen and I'm home free.

If you abandon the journey at that point what do you actually do? Just walk in a different direction and die?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Oh, Joan's making it to Oregon alive. I'm just sure there will be questions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If nothing else this explains Portland.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I got ori 2 on special for like fifteen bucks aud and i dont know whyi bounced off it when i played it when it first came out. Great game.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Oh, Joan's making it to Oregon alive. I'm just sure there will be questions.

i mean if you got across the Snake River and weren't using the Three Island crossing you're already in oregon, it's just that you've got the shittiest part of Oregon to cross still

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just shy of ten hours and I finished my victory lap in Dread collecting every last thing. Some of those shine sparks took a bit but I did it. I think prior to that I was probably around 8 hours or a bit but with only 50-60% completion and now I'm at 99%. I'll probably finish the game this week, but it sure was a treat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Libluini posted:

After playing a couple missions in the remake, I still haven't understood yet why the legs are even there. If an arm gets blown off, sure that weapon is gone, but even losing both legs doesn't seem to mission kill a Wanzer. Are they losing mobilitiy at least and I just missed that?

I like the "Battletech-but-simplified"-feel Front Mission 1 is giving me. If there are more remakes, I'll certainly buy them too.

In 1st, legs grant extra move based on their move stat. So if legs are damaged your movement will be reduced.

Its not a huge issue in 1st but it becomes a problem in later games because guns have different ranges based on their type and losing legs cripple your move hard. I think in later games legs also give evade bonus so you are more or less dead in the water without them

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 11, 2022

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I played front mission 3 multiple decades ago but do remember that I was big on taking out the legs and then picking enemies off from a distance.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nep-Nep posted:

I played front mission 3 multiple decades ago but do remember that I was big on taking out the legs and then picking enemies off from a distance.

Because you got more experience the more body parts you destroyed, i ran all my wanzers with shotguns. Easily the most horribly inefficient way to play in the late game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Beat River City Girls earlier today using the free pass, liked it despite some basic combat. Also, I found it funny after seeing the ending: the only Kunio game I have ever played was Kunio Tachi No Banka, playing with a friend on an emulator device that you plugged into the SNES and put floppy disks into.

Had no idea what was going on, since it was all Japanese but we just enjoyed the fighting and trying to randomly piece together the story based on what was going on the screen. In it, you play as Kunio and Riki, as well as Makoto and Ryoko (they weren't as strong, I preferred the other guys and their moves). Apparently, it's also one of the only games in which those girls are their girlfriends.

So in the ending when the boys disregarded these two girls because they barely knew who they were, I was quite surprised, not knowing that "canonically" they're not actually the girlfriends.

Anyway, that plot beat and like one or two music tracks in the game really brought me back to playing that game over and over again with him, really miss those memories.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Morpheus posted:

Beat River City Girls earlier today using the free pass, liked it despite some basic combat. Also, I found it funny after seeing the ending: the only Kunio game I have ever played was Kunio Tachi No Banka, playing with a friend on an emulator device that you plugged into the SNES and put floppy disks into.

Had no idea what was going on, since it was all Japanese but we just enjoyed the fighting and trying to randomly piece together the story based on what was going on the screen. In it, you play as Kunio and Riki, as well as Makoto and Ryoko (they weren't as strong, I preferred the other guys and their moves). Apparently, it's also one of the only games in which those girls are their girlfriends.

So in the ending when the boys disregarded these two girls because they barely knew who they were, I was quite surprised, not knowing that "canonically" they're not actually the girlfriends.

Anyway, that plot beat and like one or two music tracks in the game really brought me back to playing that game over and over again with him, really miss those memories.

I preferred Makoto and Ryoko for Tachi no Banka when playing it, purely based on their movement speed. The only attack that really mattered for me is the special attack (spin kick or rapid punch) so I never really noticed a difference between the boys and girls aside from max HP.

The musical callbacks in RCG are great though, it's good stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

From the FF thread:

Vikar Jerome posted:

All 6 pixel remasters have been rated by the esrb for ps4 and nintendo switch (no xbox by the looks of it) anniversary is on the 18th so i would expect them to drop then

[url]https://www.esrb.org/search/?searchKeyword=Final%20Fantasy&platform=PlayStation%204&rating=E%2CE10%2B%2CT%2CM%2CAO&descriptor=All%20Content&pg=1&searchType=All&ielement[]=all[/url]

Edit: dunno why the link doesnt hyper!

The FF Pixel Remaster games are good remakes if you got any interest in them, most of them aren't necessarily the definitive versions of their games and a few have weird balance issues, but for the most part all six are perfectly playable and a great experience whether you're new or familiar with the older games. Also the redone music loving slaps.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If they’re bringing the pixel remasters to switch I sure hope they fix the insanely bad font.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone should tell square that English speakers actually like pixel fonts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

From the FF thread:

The FF Pixel Remaster games are good remakes if you got any interest in them, most of them aren't necessarily the definitive versions of their games and a few have weird balance issues, but for the most part all six are perfectly playable and a great experience whether you're new or familiar with the older games. Also the redone music loving slaps.

It's too late, Square made me buy a steam deck

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

excellent news. now, won’t someone at square finally think of chrono trigger?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

From the FF thread:

If you're talking about the GBA/DS exclusive content, tbh most of the time I hear people talk about that stuff it's almost universally panned, I've played all the pixel remasters and the only content I feel like I really missed out on was the GBA-exclusive jobs in FF5, maybe the chance to get both the Ragnarok esper and sword in FF6. Even Soul of Rebirth mode in FF2 means playing more FF2.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Commander Keene posted:

If you're talking about the GBA/DS exclusive content, tbh most of the time I hear people talk about that stuff it's almost universally panned

Sounds like sour grapes, tbh. If that stuff was in the pixel remasters with an “Additional Content: On/Off” toggle like the SaGa remasters have I don’t think anybody would tell you to turn it off.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This was before the pixel remasters were even announced, though. I think the best I've ever heard about the added content in any of the games was that the plot of Soul of Rebirth was pretty decent as long as you could stand playing more FF2 to get to it, which I was done with the mechanics of FF2 by the time I got there in my playthrough of the GBA version last year just before the remasters were announced. People were definitely vociferously complaining about the Dragons' Den in FF6 at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Dragons' Den is not good but some of the exclusive espers and fights throughout the game are fun

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I remember liking the new postgame dungeons in 1 and 4 on gba too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A lot of people are gonna be surprised when they boot up FF1 and 3 and see spell slots in lieu of MP.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I remember unequipping all the items from my characters before they died in FFII, so when I tried the Dawn of Souls content the first fight was literally impossible and I was never able to play it lol

I didn’t like the extra FFVI content. I liked the stuff in FFIV and FFV though iirc

Edit: no wait, I gave up in FFVI gba because I kept trying the Fanatic’s Tower, getting to the top, beating the boss then dying on the way back down and losing all my progress. It happened three or four times and I was so mad I didn’t even beat the game lol also the sound quality on the GBA was garbage and made the music/sfx awful.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 12, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

A lot of people are gonna be surprised when they boot up FF1 and 3 and see spell slots in lieu of MP.
The DS version of FF3 that we got had spell slots though. Even at the time I thought it was weird because Dawn of Souls changed out spell slots for MP.

Did Final Fantasy Origins keep spell slots or did it have MP? That's the version of the game I'm least familiar with.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

For FF1, NES, Wonderswan, and PS1 ports had spell slots, though in PS1 and I think WS there was a difficulty option that bumped spell slots up to a max of 99 instead of just 9. GBA, PSP, and Mobile had MP. PR re-added spell slots.

All versions of 3 had spell slots.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ess elle oh tee ess

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

ess elle oh tee ess

All the FF Pixel Remasters have been retrofitted for Setzer to appear in them, didn’t you hear?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's too late, Square made me buy a steam deck

Honestly... same. Just got mine.

Commander Keene posted:

The DS version of FF3 that we got had spell slots though. Even at the time I thought it was weird because Dawn of Souls changed out spell slots for MP.

Did Final Fantasy Origins keep spell slots or did it have MP? That's the version of the game I'm least familiar with.

Spell slots are dumb in D&D and they're dumb in Final Fantasy too. I will die on this hill.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just think the term "spell slots" is dumb.

It doesn't refer to how many different spells you can have equipped (slots), it refers to how many times you can cast a spell (casts / instances / whatever).

The colloquial term should've just been "spells".

And don't get me started on the inherent redundancies in "TPK".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hammer Bro. posted:

I just think the term "spell slots" is dumb.

It doesn't refer to how many different spells you can have equipped (slots), it refers to how many times you can cast a spell (casts / instances / whatever).

The colloquial term should've just been "spells".

And don't get me started on the inherent redundancies in "TPK".

They are slots you fill spells with. Whether or not you have any spells available does not change how many spell slots you have.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im dense.. How do I spam tf out of a button press without holding the controller? I just want it to mash the A in Pokemon fights hands free while I listen to podcast, clean, etc

I have a 8bitdo usb adapter but the software is obtuse and I didnt manage to get it to do anything but screenshot as per normal. I got a Hori Splitpad on the way. Will either of those things work?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

From the FF thread:

Oh that's great. I wouldn't mind making my Switch a FF machine in that regard. I'd like to replay 1 for some reason. It's the sort of basic grind I can appreciate right before bed. I think on my SNES Mini I have 4 and 6 obviously though. It's good to have them around even if I don't get them any time soon.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wizard2 posted:

I have a 8bitdo usb adapter but the software is obtuse and I didnt manage to get it to do anything but screenshot as per normal. I got a Hori Splitpad on the way. Will either of those things work?
I don't know about the USB adapter, but the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ and Pro 2 both have turbo functions. For the latter you have to use the Ultimate software to assign turbo to one of the buttons--the back paddles are fine--while on the Pro+ you have to hold the screenshot button and press A to turn on A turbo.

The Split Pad Pro also has a turbo feature.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having a portable console with FFI through FFX available is gonna own.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dolphinbomb posted:

Having a portable console with FFI through FFX available is gonna own.

And XII, Zodiac Age is on there already.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should put the XIII trilogy on there next. I’m one of the sickos that actually likes all of them

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I loved the combat in ff13 but life interrupted me 3/4 through the game when it was new, I never returned to it, and at this point the likelihood of me playing a game on the television from start to finish is 0%.

I’d love a portable ff13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

They should put the XIII trilogy on there next. I’m one of the sickos that actually likes all of them

phil spencer please port lost odyssey to switch thank you