Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dante posted:

Do you still need dfhacks and other external tools to make management painfree, or is the new GUI good enough to handle all that stuff now?

The job assignment system was completely changed. In my opinion, you do not need any external program to manage labor now.

There are some jobs you can only assign by assigning a dwarf to a specific zone (room), such as medical jobs in a hospital, tavern keeper jobs, priest jobs.

Then there's all the regular jobs not bound to zones, you assign those by creating a work detail on the Labor screen. There are several pre-defined labor details, and you can make your own too. A labor detail is a list of jobs allowed. Each labor detail can be set to one of three modes: "Everybody does this", "Only selected do this", and "Nobody does this". On each work detail you can mark off individual dwarves, and it shows everybody's relevant skills for the jobs the work detail covers. The marked off dwarves are only used when the mode is set to "only selected do this", but persists even if you change it to "everybody" or "nobody". That makes it easy to e.g. turn off all fishers and hunters right away, and then turn them back on again later. It also makes it easy to get an overview of how many you have assigned to all the various jobs, and easy to just have large selection of "everybody do these menial things".

Then finally, every dwarf has a checkmark for "is specialized", shown as a red/green box next to them on the Labor and Creatures screens. When someone is specialized, they're exempted from the "everybody does this" work detail assignments, and only do things you've explicitly assigned them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pierson posted:

Is there a guide on how to do real excavation to hunt down ore/gem veins? I'm kind of just digging long single-width corridors down and if I find something dig out a big square there. Is there a better way?

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

Or continue to designate the square so that you get some stone chunks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pierson posted:

Is there a guide on how to do real excavation to hunt down ore/gem veins? I'm kind of just digging long single-width corridors down and if I find something dig out a big square there. Is there a better way?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

Or continue to designate the square so that you get some stone chunks.

This:

The AUTO designations are shown in green instead of white.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

nielsm posted:

This:

Thank you so much

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dante posted:

Do you still need dfhacks and other external tools to make management painfree, or is the new GUI good enough to handle all that stuff now?

Depends.

For basic play the new ui is a massive improvement

If you want to do more serious or complex stuff like megaprojects or whatever the lack of 3rd party apps on the new version is a major roadblock. I'm mostly just generating worlds ans waiting on quick fort to be reimplemented.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

One weird mining trick that elves HATE
Holy poo poo that makes this so much easier, thanks!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Depends.

For basic play the new ui is a massive improvement

If you want to do more serious or complex stuff like megaprojects or whatever the lack of 3rd party apps on the new version is a major roadblock. I'm mostly just generating worlds ans waiting on quick fort to be reimplemented.

Doesn't the base game support blueprints now?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nielsm posted:

This:

Thank you very much, can't screenshot on mobile haha

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Overall im enjoying DF more than RW by far, but it could desperately benefit from being able to directly control a dwarfs action. Like being able to right click and say "DO XYZ" rather tham having to hunt thru menus trying to get them to do something. I know that takes away from the simulation aspect but hopefully there will be a mod.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like that you can't. I love the cat herding aspect of dwarf fortress.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Overall im enjoying DF more than RW by far, but it could desperately benefit from being able to directly control a dwarfs action. Like being able to right click and say "DO XYZ" rather tham having to hunt thru menus trying to get them to do something. I know that takes away from the simulation aspect but hopefully there will be a mod.

I wouldn't expect this to ever be a thing the base game allows you to do but I imagine there's some DFHack solution or something.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I made a barracks and assigned a squad and they spend all day putting armor on the rack, putting it on, going to put it in a stockpile elsewhere.

What did I mess up here?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

emdash posted:

Grizzlepages is turning into a bit of a spiral at ~170 pop. First I opened the fungal caves at elevation ~-105 not realizing that this would cause about 40 dwarves to run headlong into danger to do . . . something. Collect webs? Except they all said "store item in stockpile."

The native lizard people were not too pleased and slaughtered about 20-30 unarmed dwarves over the course of a month. Finally my squads arrived and were able to overmatch the lizards--but then a deep pit opened and let out a weregecko. After that I basically wrote off exploring it for the time and decided to do some conquests instead.

After conquering the nearest two goblin settlements, a massive goblin siege arrived and asked to parley, but then began slaughtering people outside my fort, so they had to be dealt with. I lost eight or so dwarves but successfully fended off the siege. However, now there are 60 residents in the unhappy range of emotions, and my FPS is grinding down to 20. I'm trying to atom smash enough to recover it, but it is taking a long time. I might just have to start another embarkation

It was probably collect webs, yes. Automatically collect webs is on by default in standing orders.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My biggest annoyance is that I can't assign rooms or squads to a dwarf from the dwarf details view. I have to find his name in a list that is not even alphabetical.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to control in the worldgen how high caverns spawn? It's kind of annoying when they spawn high enough up that they get in the way of where I want to put my base.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Athanatos posted:

I made a barracks and assigned a squad and they spend all day putting armor on the rack, putting it on, going to put it in a stockpile elsewhere.

What did I mess up here?

I saw someone on KItfox's discord saying this issue may be related to having them also assigned to mining/woodchopping/hunting. I.e. they're considering what they need for those jobs (a pick/an axe/a bow) as a separate "uniform" and they get stuck switching back and forth between the two. Do you have everyone assigned to mining or woodcutting?

Alternative, I guess you could try creating a custom uniform for them and see if that does anything.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to control in the worldgen how high caverns spawn? It's kind of annoying when they spawn high enough up that they get in the way of where I want to put my base.

One of the advanced options controls the number of layers before the first cavern layer.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I have a couple of problems:
1. I can't make stairs anymore. The bottom part of the staircase doesn't appear, and I can't delete the top one. I think it's a bug.
2. I can't get anyone to do stonecrafting. I used to be able to do it, now none of my work orders go through, and even manually ordered items don't go through.

Is there a way to get crafting to use certain materials without work orders, for example to put a certain gem into a certain item?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I'm just waiting for the Adventure Mode feature where you can do anything as adventurer that a dwarf can do.
I want to build a fortress by my very own hands!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

If it's soil you can just start farming. But if its rock you need to run water over it to create mud for farming.
Since there's now different degrees of suitability for farming, making the soil muddy might help.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pisshead posted:

I have a couple of problems:
1. I can't make stairs anymore. The bottom part of the staircase doesn't appear, and I can't delete the top one. I think it's a bug.
2. I can't get anyone to do stonecrafting. I used to be able to do it, now none of my work orders go through, and even manually ordered items don't go through.

Is there a way to get crafting to use certain materials without work orders, for example to put a certain gem into a certain item?

For 1:
Are you designating the stairs on at least two levels? Start on the bottom and end on the top, even if one of the parts already exist.

For 2:
Set up two stockpiles that will receive those two specific items: The item to encrust, the gem to encrust with. How to configure those stockpiles to receive only exactly those items is up to you to figure out.
Then use the "Set stockpile links for this workshop" button on the workshop to open the links window, and set the workshop to only take from those two specific stockpiles. Then it can't take any other items than those you put there.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Athanatos posted:

What did I mess up here?

My barracks are empty rooms and my squads happily put on their gear and train as scheduled, try remaking your squad and barracks with minimal bells and whistles.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

For 1:
Are you designating the stairs on at least two levels? Start on the bottom and end on the top, even if one of the parts already exist.
For 2:
Set up two stockpiles that will receive those two specific items: The item to encrust, the gem to encrust with. How to configure those stockpiles to receive only exactly those items is up to you to figure out.
Then use the "Set stockpile links for this workshop" button on the workshop to open the links window, and set the workshop to only take from those two specific stockpiles. Then it can't take any other items than those you put there.

1. Yes. I've made plenty of stairs successfully before. Now all of a sudden the bottom one doesn't appear.
2. Thanks, I'll look into that.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
What I don't like about graphical DF is that isn't not as colourful. Colbalt isn't even bright blue.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

StarkRavingMad posted:

I saw someone on KItfox's discord saying this issue may be related to having them also assigned to mining/woodchopping/hunting. I.e. they're considering what they need for those jobs (a pick/an axe/a bow) as a separate "uniform" and they get stuck switching back and forth between the two. Do you have everyone assigned to mining or woodcutting?

junan_paalla posted:

My barracks are empty rooms and my squads happily put on their gear and train as scheduled, try remaking your squad and barracks with minimal bells and whistles.

Much love. Will mess around with things and see if I can help my Dwarfs break the cycle of their "Put things away" psychosis

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wish farms, at least outside ones, had a "plant anything" option. I'm just trying to use up my miscellaneous collection of surface plant seeds from gathering, since I can't seem to do anything else worthwhile with them.

And it's a pain to check back every so often to switch from one crop to another when they run out if seeds.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

nielsm posted:

... As a bonus, constructed floors can't be destroyed or stolen.

I, Uhh… have you had a floor stolen before??

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

after a long time of trying to get past a lovely aquifer, I finally do it, only to end up stumbling into a big cavern that is just completely full of dead troglodytes, ant people and who knows what. then a cave crocodile wanders in, bites a miner and eventually gets murked by my militia, followed by a bunch of troglodytes trying to escape the death cave as well, only for one of them to get killed by a craftsdwarf and a baby who bite it in the head and start shaking it by it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuantaStarFire posted:

Doesn't the base game support blueprints now?

It does but different kind of blueprints.

The blueprints it supports now are "mark this for later action" blueprints, not "save this and remember it for another fort later" blueprints.

I have an immense number of "standardized" fort floor plans I developed in prior fortresses and saved as quickfort floor plan blueprints that I like to just paste into new forts. Stuff that would be a royal pain to re-key in again, like spiral double helix ramps and fractal workshop layouts, pump stacks and magma irrigation for the workshops, etc. They're all designed to fit together in a sort of snap and lock type way.

(You can see most of them implemented here: https://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10611-acefortress?viewer=html5 ).

The new UI is great if you just want to mouse-select a bunch of areas of approximately the right size and go to town.

If you're trying to make circular bedroom spaces layer properly on top of snowflake fractal workshops with a layer of tessellated star guild halls in between, and everything is counted and spaced and measured very precisely, the current system doesn't have the tools implemented that make that kind of thing possible. Classic did with add-ons, so we gotta wait for the add-ons to get redeveloped.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 12, 2022

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Flooded what would've been my bedrooms because my dumb brain thought that a well at a lower elevation than the river source it was hooked to would be okay.

It wasn't.

Also I found a cave and now there's troglodyte corpses all over my fortress. Good to know I'll be boned of a beast shows up lmao

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Arrath posted:

I wish farms, at least outside ones, had a "plant anything" option. I'm just trying to use up my miscellaneous collection of surface plant seeds from gathering, since I can't seem to do anything else worthwhile with them.

And it's a pain to check back every so often to switch from one crop to another when they run out if seeds.

When/if DFHack is available for the Steam version, autofarm is helpful for this sort of thing. That, along with a couple other things I really miss from DFHack, plus the unusable announcement log has me back playing the classic version for now.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It does but different kind of blueprints.

The blueprints it supports now are "mark this for later action" blueprints, not "save this and remember it for another fort later" blueprints.

I have an immense number of "standardized" fort floor plans I developed in prior fortresses and saved as quickfort floor plan blueprints that I like to just paste into new forts. Stuff that would be a royal pain to re-key in again, like spiral double helix ramps and fractal workshop layouts, pump stacks and magma irrigation for the workshops, etc. They're all designed to fit together in a sort of snap and lock type way.

The new UI is great if you just want to mouse-select a bunch of areas of approximately the right size and go to town.

If you're trying to make circular bedroom spaces layer properly on top of snowflake fractal workshops with a layer of tessellated star guild halls in between, and everything is counted and spaced and measured very precisely, the current system doesn't have the tools implemented that make that kind of thing possible. Classic did with add-ons, so we gotta wait for the add-ons to get redeveloped.

I'm in the same boat as you - long time DF player and I think I'm going to shelf this for a bit till some of the DF features make it over and the logging is improved.

Also maybe I'm stupid but I cannot find a way to cancel construction via zone selection.

One of the ways I used to make things was to carve out a section then order the whole area 'walled' and then 'cancel' the hallways. Except while I can make a wall cube just fine, I can't then cancel a whole line/zone - I have to click each tile. Not viable.

The lack of logging is just gamebreaking to me. I know they show up in alerts but they are very hard to follow there. Weredwarves were always a real mess to deal with in DF, but in the steam version I find them impossible to recover from because I do not have any reasonable way to track who got bit at all. Despite my best efforts my last run got reduced from 130 to 16 dwarves because I just couldn't identify who got bit and who didn't due to the crappy logging.

So at this point I'm not sure how you'd deal with were invasions short of locking every single door once a month...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Finally! A threat that isn't a werecreature.

Any chance you're here to play music in the tavern?

She goes after my pasture animals, so I guess not. Unfortunate.

Forward the militia!

Once again I have one militia member milling around outside doing god knows what, maybe she had chased a Kea across the area. I figure she'll go in and fight a distracting action, getting stomped into the dirt in the process, to allow the rest of the squad to arrive. She charges in alone, unleashes a furious volley of axe swings..

....oh.

gently caress yeah. :black101:

Just for that, Atir, you get a better room and a pimped out tomb.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

FileNotFound posted:

So at this point I'm not sure how you'd deal with were invasions short of locking every single door once a month...
Iirc you can turn off werebeasts or attacks at world creation. Ive done that and had no encounters

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Will my dwarves not put a body in a tomb if it has already rotted? One of my guys died somehow and his "rotten and mangled" corpse is just sitting there spewing miasma. I've got an open coffin in a designated tomb, but nobody is moving the body.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Also maybe I'm stupid but I cannot find a way to cancel construction via zone selection.

One of the ways I used to make things was to carve out a section then order the whole area 'walled' and then 'cancel' the hallways. Except while I can make a wall cube just fine, I can't then cancel a whole line/zone - I have to click each tile. Not viable.

m -> x

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FileNotFound posted:

The lack of logging is just gamebreaking to me. I know they show up in alerts but they are very hard to follow there. Weredwarves were always a real mess to deal with in DF, but in the steam version I find them impossible to recover from because I do not have any reasonable way to track who got bit at all. Despite my best efforts my last run got reduced from 130 to 16 dwarves because I just couldn't identify who got bit and who didn't due to the crappy logging.

Werebeasts have felt basically the same to me-send a squad or two to murder it, then afterwards read through the werebeast's combat log(with the caveat that you can't dismiss the log alerts on the left or it's gone forever) to see who got hurt and/or examine each dwarf for wounds afterwards, mark each hurt dwarf by changing their nickname to WERE or something, then expel/mysterious accident them all.

The Alerts/Combat logs screens should definitely come back though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
All the angry dwarves in my fort are children, anything I can do to cheer them up a bit?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uh seems I have hundreds of pear seeds and other useless things I'll never plant and can't cook.
Maybe I'll find a way to offload them to a caravan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Will my dwarves not put a body in a tomb if it has already rotted? One of my guys died somehow and his "rotten and mangled" corpse is just sitting there spewing miasma. I've got an open coffin in a designated tomb, but nobody is moving the body.

They should, yeah. I had a corpse sit in my moat of most of a year until winter hit so I could channel it out of the ice and retrieve it to a tomb. They'll even collect up what bits they can find, like my Cook who took a hit to the face and scattered teeth across several tiles.

Broken Cog posted:

All the angry dwarves in my fort are children, anything I can do to cheer them up a bit?

Craft them some toys and assign them rooms, they don't always seem to pick a bedroom.