Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chip McFuck posted:

I don't know for sure if they are compatible as I haven't tried swapping them myself, but the Narwhal nib units unscrew so it shouldn't be too hard to try it out. According to the googling I've done, apparently Narwhal's housing is the same as Moonman's so it should fit a Jowo nib, but I'm not sure if the Moonman is a copy of Jowo or Bock housing. If you try it out let us know as I'd love to fund out.

When going through my pens and stuff, I found I have both a TWSBI nib unit and a Narwhal nib unit:

Obviously they are not the same and I am not sure I want to go mess around with the units. It could however well be these nibs are not the same number, like one is a 6 and the other is a... what? Maybe someone else in the thread knows more?

edit: Looking at the photo: could the `7` on the right one mean it is a nib number 7 and I should get a Jowo #7 assembly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought another two Deltas

Hopefully they show up some time this year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Keetron posted:

edit: Looking at the photo: could the `7` on the right one mean it is a nib number 7 and I should get a Jowo #7 assembly?
Baring a custom order for a large volume client, there's no such thing as a number 7 Jowo nib.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was looking at inks today and I came upon a very stupid question: shouldn’t an ink called ancient copper be green?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Picked these two up from an antique store for $20 to give restoration a try. If anyone has any tips and dos/don'ts I'm all ears.

The big one is a Waterman Skywriter, I'm guessing a first gen from the 30s or 40s since it's labeled Alco Corporation on the barrrel. The sac is completely toast, since I can hear the chunks rattling around inside and pieces of it are falling out from the lever hole. The clip is also missing, so I'm thinking of making a new one since I have a lot of raw brass kicking around and that might be a neat project.

Not sure what the second one is, just says Waterman's and Made in Canada. There's no rattling and the lever stays in place, but I have a feeling the second I try to fill it the sac will deteriorate. The feed also looks misaligned.

I'll try to get my hands on a better camera with macro but the tines kinda look messed up on both of them. I tried writing with both of them and the Skywriter definitely feels nicer.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Baring a custom order for a large volume client, there's no such thing as a number 7 Jowo nib.

Goes to show what I know.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Picked these two up from an antique store for $20 to give restoration a try. If anyone has any tips and dos/don'ts I'm all ears.

Careful with heat, or they risk distorting/melting/burning.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Is this a good place to ask about glass dip pens? I've been watching videos of them and they look fun to use, so I might get one for myself for a Christmas present. What are some good beginner glass pens? Or which thread should I go to to ask about them?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Is this a good place to ask about glass dip pens? I've been watching videos of them and they look fun to use, so I might get one for myself for a Christmas present. What are some good beginner glass pens? Or which thread should I go to to ask about them?

I don't know a ton about them but the Moonman N6 is a good entry-point option, it's a glass nib in a standard fountain pen body and (I think) also comes with a standard nib assembly so you can swap it out if you ever want to. It has a cap, which is a nice feature that isn't too common with glass pens and personally I'm so loving clumsy they scare me otherwise. The tradeoff is because it's a normal fountain pen body it's wider than other glass pens, so it might not fit into every bottle out there.

Other than that, I know J. Herbin has a few glass pens, and Majohn makes a couple of capped pens too, but I haven't used those. They're all pretty cheap and honestly seem pretty similar, I don't think there's a lot of variation or variety unless you want to spend hundreds on a fancy custom one or a Drillog (don't get a Drillog)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

SkeletonHero posted:

I have a J. Herbin that I got recently specifically for swatching, and I like it a lot!

One thing to know, or that you'll learn quickly, is some inks just don't like working with glass nibs at all. For example, I've been swatching through the Diamine Inkvent calendar for this year, and most of the standard inks so far work pretty well with the glass pen, but some of the shimmer inks just refuse to flow on it at all (not all of them, but most). If you're mostly planning to just use it with standard inks you'll probably be fine, but know the sheening/shimmer/etc. ones could give you trouble.

(Granted, it could be user error on my part but I'm pretty sure having that much glitter in an ink could change how it behaves in a niche circumstance like using a glass pen.)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

DurianGray posted:

I have a J. Herbin that I got recently specifically for swatching, and I like it a lot!

One thing to know, or that you'll learn quickly, is some inks just don't like working with glass nibs at all. For example, I've been swatching through the Diamine Inkvent calendar for this year, and most of the standard inks so far work pretty well with the glass pen, but some of the shimmer inks just refuse to flow on it at all (not all of them, but most). If you're mostly planning to just use it with standard inks you'll probably be fine, but know the sheening/shimmer/etc. ones could give you trouble.

(Granted, it could be user error on my part but I'm pretty sure having that much glitter in an ink could change how it behaves in a niche circumstance like using a glass pen.)

oh odd, Ive been swatching through the calendar with my glass pen too and all of the inks have been fine

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Xun posted:

oh odd, Ive been swatching through the calendar with my glass pen too and all of the inks have been fine

Oh interesting! I wonder if I should try them on a different paper and see if that makes a difference. (What paper are you using?) I've been using an old leuchtturm to fill it up, but it's definitely not the best ink-friendly paper I have.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Had some Preppy highlighters dry out in my pen cup over time. I rescued them with a syringe and water, but is there a way to prevent that from happening? Silicone grease on the threads? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

DurianGray posted:

Oh interesting! I wonder if I should try them on a different paper and see if that makes a difference. (What paper are you using?) I've been using an old leuchtturm to fill it up, but it's definitely not the best ink-friendly paper I have.

I'm using the wearingeul in swatch cards, they say its 200g/m art paper whatever that means

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I use a Kakimori metal dip pen tip on Graphilo paper and it’s been mostly fine (I did go at it with a toothbrush once when it wasn’t writing well to make sure I got all the glitter and pigment from a pre-advent ink out, and then it was fine). Not quite a glass dip, but in the same genre maybe.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It makes me wonder, does a glass pen wear like a steel or gold nib if at all?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
They do wear down a bit over time. Mine came with a little square of fine grit sandpaper to reshape it when needed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In the event anyone was wondering: it is, in fact, possible to fill a TWSBI Eco from one of those narrow-necked Ferris Wheel Press ink bottles. I've got their Stroke of Midnight in there right now and watching that gold and silver glitter move around in the barrel is the coolest goddamned thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta today, hooray!

Today we have this lovely Delta Europa in candy-apple red celluloid. Very Christmas-y

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My Christmas gift from my cousins this year was a Waterman pen and a bottle of Serenity Blue ink. Very nice! Need to research piston converters for this one.

In other blue-related news, it turned out that Monteverde's Capri Blue was exactly what I was looking for, a bright visible blue that's easily distinguished from cyan, purple, and black. It also didn't have the insane feathering of the Sapphire Blue I tried, and neither did their Horizon Blue. Honestly, nobody else has reported Sapphire Blue as having that level of feathering... maybe I just got a bad batch?

So right now, my seven-color lineup for RPG design notes looks like this:

Red: Robert Oster Rubine
Orange: Pilot Iroshizoku Yu-yake
Yellow: J. Herbin Ambre di Birmanie
Green: Robert Oster Green Green
Cyan: Diamine Marine
Blue: Monteverde Capri Blue
Purple: J. Herbin Violet Pensee

Looking pretty good! My only issue is with Ambre di Birmanie, which... I love it? I do love it, but it is crazy variable. Whether or not it shades, and whether it decides to look gold or brown on any given day or surface, appears to be entirely up to the whims of fortune. Sometimes I think about going back to Sunshine Yellow, which is a dark yellow but is still very yellow. (The main thing with yellow yellows is that they look just fine on my white Rhodia notepad but terrible on ivory Rhodia notebooks and other slightly yellowish paper.) Maybe something like the Amber that Diamine makes or some other golden-brown?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In a week I find out what all Monteverde garbage I got from my Pen Boutique Black Friday Mystery Box!

There should be something else in it but who really knows.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So, other things. I've been using some Jinhao x750's to test out different inks and have concluded that regardless of ink, they really don't flow at all. None of them. I just write a bit, pop it open, turn the piston to ram more ink down its throat, close it open, and then just write some more. I see all kinds of stuff about modifying x750s and wondered if anybody here tried it so I can pick your brains.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I have an x750 that writes well, but I've only ever used one ink in it (Iroshizuku Ina-ho). They are easy to take apart, though, so you could watch a video on how to pull the feed/nib and see if there's a seating issue.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I opened my Pen Boutique Black Friday Mystery Box. Before I wrapped it for myself, I had spotted that one Monteverde ink and was afraid it was going to be a Monteverde dump. It, um, wasn't. Instead, I got a pile of ballpoint and rollerballs. There was a Cross ATX fountain pen. I'll try to post a pic but I feel almost like it's off-topic.

Edit: It does write pretty well!

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 25, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I opened my Pen Boutique Black Friday Mystery Box. Before I wrapped it for myself, I had spotted that one Monteverde ink and was afraid it was going to be a Monteverde dump. It, um, wasn't. Instead, I got a pile of ballpoint and rollerballs. There was a Cross ATX fountain pen. I'll try to post a pic but I feel almost like it's off-topic.

Edit: It does write pretty well!

it's a fountain pen. Post it!

Also, post the ink and a sample, please.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:justpost:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:jpmf:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The cat pen bag, recipe book, shrektopus (which had a broken segment and is getting a replacement), and Ram Man were stuff from my wife. She also took all these pics but I did the terrible writing.

I think I'll start looking at the Lamy vanishing point and maybe a Fountain Pen Revolution ebonite thing. I like ebonite.

Edit: gently caress me the Lamy Dialog 3 is expensive. Maybe not.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

That cat bag is so, so awesome.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The cat pen bag, recipe book, shrektopus (which had a broken segment and is getting a replacement), and Ram Man were stuff from my wife. She also took all these pics but I did the terrible writing.

:nice:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JNCO BILOBA posted:

That cat bag is so, so awesome.

:same:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: gently caress me the Lamy Dialog 3 is expensive. Maybe not.

Just get the Chinese knockoff and stick a Lamy nib on it.

Also someone has offered to sell me a Delta Dolce Vita Oversize at a non- "I have to sell a kidney (preferably someone else's) to afford" price.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How consistent are those knockoffs? I've got plenty of x750s that need tweaking before I throw more Chinese pens into the mix.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The ones I've handled aren't any worse than the Dialogs I've tried.

I don't know if that's praise for the Chinese manufacturer or an indictment of Lamy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The stories I was reading online from people that did 1:1 comparisons are that the mechanisms inside the knockoffs are very poor. Do you think this is somebody just trying to overjustify themselves or something? It sounded to me like it's a very poor, deliberate knockoff versus somebody selling off QC rejects or just outright letting the factory run amok and sell some on their own.

In other news: I finally decided to go nutso on this old lever-fill pen I had with a bad sac. It looks like it came that way since it would just drain out ink, which implied online at the time (a few years ago) that there was an air hole somewhere. The section just wouldn't come off, and the pen was just about screwed so I just decided to sacrifice to find out, and boy did I. It just busted apart. I think somebody had tried to install a new sac on it using superglue or something. I'm guessing people keep using shellac specifically so they can pull them back apart later with a bit of heat. Anyways, I kept the nib. but everything else was busted.

I kind of wonder if one could, say, 3d print a mechanism that you'd glue to the section and the body of these pens so that:
1. They could be screwed together instead of glued.
2. You could fit a piston converter inside them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The stories I was reading online from people that did 1:1 comparisons are that the mechanisms inside the knockoffs are very poor. Do you think this is somebody just trying to overjustify themselves or something? It sounded to me like it's a very poor, deliberate knockoff versus somebody selling off QC rejects or just outright letting the factory run amok and sell some on their own.

In other news: I finally decided to go nutso on this old lever-fill pen I had with a bad sac. It looks like it came that way since it would just drain out ink, which implied online at the time (a few years ago) that there was an air hole somewhere. The section just wouldn't come off, and the pen was just about screwed so I just decided to sacrifice to find out, and boy did I. It just busted apart. I think somebody had tried to install a new sac on it using superglue or something. I'm guessing people keep using shellac specifically so they can pull them back apart later with a bit of heat. Anyways, I kept the nib. but everything else was busted.

I kind of wonder if one could, say, 3d print a mechanism that you'd glue to the section and the body of these pens so that:
1. They could be screwed together instead of glued.
2. You could fit a piston converter inside them.

This is hardly relevant to what you need to do, but I've also wondered about 3d printing cool stuff for fountain pens.

I've already printed a few pen stands that work very well, except they are quite light and easy to knock around (they are still upright and stable but I would like them not to move around as much). If I had to print another stand, I'd probably want one that I can put weights on, or with holes so that I can screw them into a desk or a wall.

But what I really want is a 3d printed inkwell. I've only gone so far as to find a few good inkwell shapes that I can print, but I'm still debating on how to make it waterproof.... I'm thinking beeswax. I've already tried one without waterproofing and the results are as you expect - the ink starts to bleed through the print. Enough ink, and it would probably be all over my desk.

Haven't gone through with my ideas just yet. I just need to print something and pick up some beeswax nearby (probably either Michaels or Walmart to start). If I get something good, I'll post it in the thread.

If the inkwell experiment goes well, I may try something crazy like the barrel of a dropper pen. Unlike many people, I don't mind having ink on my fingers.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I have one of the new Dialogs with the roll stopper, and it's one of my favorite pens. It opens and closes with a twist mechanism, writes right away all the time, and has a very smooth and very broad gold nib. At first it's hard to tell when it's closed well, but it becomes second nature. I like it so much more than the Vanishing Point, which I was never able to hold comfortably.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sb hermit posted:

I've already tried one without waterproofing and the results are as you expect - the ink starts to bleed through the print. Enough ink, and it would probably be all over my desk.

I'll just say I don't have a 3d printer so this is not what I expected.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll just say I don't have a 3d printer so this is not what I expected.

standard 3d printing uses a mechanism where (roughly speaking) pliable plastic 0.1mm strands are heated and extruded on top of one another, hardening as it cools. There's still a gap, albeit very small.

I've seen people use 3D printed stuff to pour drinks (although food safety is another topic), so there is a modicum of water resistance, but storing liquids long term without further treating the print would not work as well.

Resin based 3d printing could work better? I guess I'd have to investigate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah apparently resin can be airtight. That's kind of what I figured it was like.

I fished out that busted lever filler I had and I can't help but think one could make something to convert it to a converter that screws together. I guess this is too niche.