Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Magnetic North posted:

Well, in other threads I have frequented that commonly get title changes, normally you get a few emptyquote replies in support. I'd be in favor of seeing that here when suggested, to make sure it's not just me making such requests alone.

But yes, I would support making that change to Board Games 5E: the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

If you want to build and sell cars in a reasonable price point and know the game is good, get automobile.

smh Splotter still hasn't put the rules up

I'm prob gonna get the game anyway since I have a lot of store credit

or Kraftwagen, the only game with a time track that I actually enjoy.

(ones I do not enjoy: glen more, auztralia, heaven and ale, patchwork)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

New thread title hurts me real deep. It's perfect.

Got to play a friends copy of Age of Atlantis the other day, which I only found out after the fact is facing some REALLY sketchy fulfillment issues.
Luckily for him, game came with no issues and it's really fun. I think we're going to play again tonight as we all really enjoyed it.
I think it's trying to capture a lot of the essence of Scythe, but without the direct conflict area control elements. The worker placement and action selection stuff is pretty interesting and I haven't played another game that uses a similar mechanism with it's dice-workers so that's been a big hit.

If people want a shoddy write up on the mechanics in more detail I'll happily give it a (lovely) crack, but mainly I just wanna report in and say it's pretty, and it's cool.
Here's a pic at end of 3rd Age (game end)

It's pretty cool.

Also - thanks thread for sort of pushing me to try FCM. Bought it when it came up cheap on a local sell page (100USD for base+exp) - freakin loved it and ended up making some handy 3d printed thingawhatsits. It makes set up <2 minutes (about 5 minutes packup) and it's INFINITELY better table footprint haha.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 10, 2022

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Spiteski posted:

Also - thanks thread for sort of pushing me to try FCM. Bought it when it came up cheap on a local sell page (100USD for base+exp) - freakin loved it and ended up making some handy 3d printed thingawhatsits. It makes set up <2 minutes (about 5 minutes packup) and it's INFINITELY better table footprint haha.

These look awesome, do you have an STL file for these? I’m thinking that something similar would work well for Kemet’s tiles.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

You can get them from this printables listing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nice, thanks for the link. The card sprawl is the worst part and this looks brilliant.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jewmanji posted:

I bought Oath on a lark despite this thread's generally lukewarm reception of it. I just can't stay away from Kyle Ferrin's art. I am surprised as I'm trying to learn this game how much more rules overhead there is than any of Cole's other games. The economy of favors and secrets is also a slightly more abstruse system than I am used to from him. I appreciate how he tries to have game pieces/parts serve multiple purposes depending on their context (like roads/armies or spies/tribes in Pamir 2E), but for some reason the cards in Oath being used as "advisers" is kinda breaking my brain.

Anyway nothing novel from me- the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it. Ah well. Can't wait for Arcs!

As a history teacher, the way this game generates historical narratives is 1000% my jam and it has locked a spot in my collection forever.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jewmanji posted:

I bought Oath on a lark despite this thread's generally lukewarm reception of it. I just can't stay away from Kyle Ferrin's art. I am surprised as I'm trying to learn this game how much more rules overhead there is than any of Cole's other games. The economy of favors and secrets is also a slightly more abstruse system than I am used to from him. I appreciate how he tries to have game pieces/parts serve multiple purposes depending on their context (like roads/armies or spies/tribes in Pamir 2E), but for some reason the cards in Oath being used as "advisers" is kinda breaking my brain.

Anyway nothing novel from me- the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it. Ah well. Can't wait for Arcs!

I feel like Oath has the most sensible implementation of the multipurpose cards out of all Wehrle games. Cards can be either things and people travelling with your personal retinue or buildings and people existing in the world, but in each configuration they work more or less the same (except I guess for trading and muster). I alway have way more trouble explaining the victory conditions to new players.

"Ok, so here's what the previous game winner picked to be victory condition, but also all four exist in the world deck, but the first one you have to hold for two turns and the ones in the deck you win on next turn. Or, you can join with the Chancellor and win together OR you can do this additional extra thing and win alone. Oh, and here's two special components that are unrelated to any other component that are very important to 90% of winning conditions. Oh and by the way, the Chancellor can sometimes just win by a dice roll."

Byt yeah, love the game. Each time I manage to put a group together it's a whole event. I'm not dedicated enough to fill out the little journal that came with the game, but the way the world and cardspace changes each game is very cool.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Nice, thanks for the link. The card sprawl is the worst part and this looks brilliant.

I've played once without and once since making them and it's an immensely better experience.

Also - turns out first time we played we stuffed up the marketeers (didn't mark them as "busy" until campaign finished) with three of us hitting the eternal marketing bonus off the bat - we were SWIMMING in pizza, burger, and coke thirsty houses which ended up being incredibly hard to build into getting anything for sale, but then the game ended in a massive burst of selling where the second bank (all 100s) was emptied in two rounds from opening.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Card holders do help a lot, but I cant recommend dry erase boards for milestones enough.

I went a step further and made them for the entire employee tech tree with spots to mark who you've hired and who's working each day, but that's a bit more extreme. Along with printed and laminated city tiles I can fit the entire game in a Ziploc freezer bag for travel though, which rules. My wife and I may be the only people on the planet to play quick games of FCM at small cafe tables while traveling.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My fiance and I went to a board game cafe this weekend. The place opened right before COVID, which delayed our plans to go there for all these years, but we finally had the opportunity. It was a nice, clean place, and the staff was friendly and helpful - until they had their hands full with two kids birthday parties, which I can't blame them for, haha.

We played Everdell and Wingspan, both two-player. Everdell was neat, some interesting choices with the city building. I like that it starts you off with only two workers, that way the game curves up in decision opportunities nicely. The first season was "how am I going to ever do everything I want to?" and by the end it was "now that I can do anything I want, what do I do first?"

Wingspan was a mostly solitaire engine builder, as I'm sure everyone knows. I've played games that do that kind of thing better, but I think I'll buy it on sale just to have it in my collection because it's something that looks pretty and plays relatively fast, so I could convince people to play it easily.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Everdell but the more I play it the more it feels like the worker placement bit is tacked on. You place so few workers in this worker placement game. Like, the placement is IMPORTANT but you make like what, 10 placements over the course of the entire game or something? (I don't remember I didn't count how many workers you actually get in the entire game)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Every time I've played Everdell, the person who goes first takes the best spot and I ended up doing almost nothing with my first season and they've run away with the game.

not a great experience

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

After about 40 games, I'd say the worker placement part is well done and fairly balanced. Card draw is quite powerful in Everdell and getting up to 3 extra cards is nothing to scoff at.

Sure, the first player will usually take a forest location and score one more resource on average, letting him build a slightly better engine than you, but having a slightly worse engine than the other players also means you'll usually be the first to go to the next season (because the other player will play another round or two), which means you'll have fresh workers to take all the spots other players leave vacant as they change seasons. If all else fails, starting with extra cards also means you can discard them to get the resources you need for your engine early on if you really have to. There's a reason that spot is an open space.

Not to mention being the first player to take two cards from the meadow in spring can be devastating.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Glagha posted:

I like Everdell but the more I play it the more it feels like the worker placement bit is tacked on. You place so few workers in this worker placement game. Like, the placement is IMPORTANT but you make like what, 10 placements over the course of the entire game or something? (I don't remember I didn't count how many workers you actually get in the entire game)

should be a cardboard moving game, you pull off like 4-5 cardboards per wood late game. I had the issue of having too many workers late game and couldn't build anything else.

everdell has the Agricola problem in that it's skinned as a "cute family game", but ends up being an engine builder that even a minimally competent player can completely clean up in a mixed group. also, the expansions are a total clusterfuck of extra mechanics that don't gel. it's... fine

Owned and sold

actually, put it in the "glad I bought it, glad I sold it" category

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 12, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What engine builder does the thread like again?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Perry Mason Jar posted:

pipeline

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I like Fantastic Factories

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

everdell has the Agricola problem in that it's skinned as a "cute family game", but ends up being an engine builder that even a minimally competent player can completely clean up in a mixed group. also, the expansions are a total clusterfuck of extra mechanics that don't gel. it's... fine

Owned and sold

actually, put it in the "glad I bought it, glad I sold it" category

Yeah that first part is fair. For what it's worth, players are not supposed to use multiple expansions at once. Spirecrest and Bellfaire are both fine additions to the game imo, although the pearl one is horrendous.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

AFfO Norwegians :allears:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Engine builders are pretty broad and people like different things.

Race for the Galaxy, A Feast for Odin, Splendor are some of the ones I tend to go for.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dominion

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Glagha posted:

15 in a normal game. Which is, whay, about a Grand Austria Hotel's worth? (Yes, GAH is dice selection, but whatever). Call it a Vinhos. It's not a pure WP game; it's a tableau builder that has a WP element. The fact that you can take and chain actions without using a single worker makes that pretty clear.

I won't go to bat for Everdell being the best game ever, but I think it's a very solid game, easily taught to new gamers and seats up to 6 pretty readily. The expansions let you tune the game's scarcity to your liking, with Spirecrest making the game harder and Newleaf happily giving you a ton of free toys.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I like Terraforming Mars but I might be the only one the thread. Ark Nova has also been popular recently.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Ark Nova isn't really an engine builder. It is a great game though!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Every game is an engine building game and every game is an auction game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Every game with dice is a roll and move game

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Steampunk Rally demonstrates a part of enginebuilding I miss elsewhere, which is that parts of your engine can break and fall off.

Getting into Res Arcana and enjoying it though my buddy complaining about his cards being bad on game loving TWO was very annoying.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

xiw posted:

Steampunk Rally demonstrates a part of enginebuilding I miss elsewhere, which is that parts of your engine can break and fall off.

just like the best engine builder, galaxy trucker

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Are there any good two player games not listed in the op?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah, the best one...
DICE THRONE!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks for reading the OP.

Here are a few more games that I can think of that people generally really and are specifically 2-player-only. Of these, I have only personally played Hive, but I now own Hanamikoji and intend to play it soon, and they are all very highly regarded. I've also included a link to a YouTube Video describing the rules of the game if you want to learn more.

Watergate: A card-driven abstract strategy game based upon the American political scandal of the same name. One player is the journalists trying to uncover the truth, while Nixon is trying to hold on to power by blocking their ability to connect the dots. Rules Video

Hanamikoji: A simple "I Split, You Choose" game about gaining the favor of geishas. You and your opponent have the same four actions to take each round in any order you choose, and they that dictate what you can play and where. You win when you have favor of 4 of the 7 or a total of 11 points worth. Rules Video

Hive: A pure abstract strategy game. Command your ants, spiders, and grasshoppers to protect your queen bee. It plays somewhat like if chess had hexagons and was played inside an amoeba. Rules Video

Targi: A set collection drafting game. You represent leaders of different Tuareg families, competing for resources in the Sahara. It's got a restriction on movement based on row and column that I don't think I've seen anywhere else. Rules Video

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spikes32 posted:

Red Flag over Paris, Caper: Europe, Polis, War chest... What sort of game do you like?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

PRADA SLUT posted:

just like the best engine builder, galaxy trucker

Please, that's very clearly an engine placement game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

has there been any word about the new publisher for Meltwater? I'd really like to get a copy.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Oh dear me posted:

Red Flag over Paris, Caper: Europe, Polis, War chest... What sort of game do you like?

Out of the 2p games in the op these are what I've enjoyed.

Light
The Fox in the Forest
Patchwork
Santorini
Azul*

Medium Games
7 Wonders Duel (enjoyed but got tired of it)
Res Arcana*
Race for the Galaxy*

Heavy Games
Tash-Kalar
Spirit Island* (Co-op)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks for reading the OP.

Here are a few more games that I can think of that people generally really and are specifically 2-player-only. Of these, I have only personally played Hive, but I now own Hanamikoji and intend to play it soon, and they are all very highly regarded. I've also included a link to a YouTube Video describing the rules of the game if you want to learn more.

Watergate: A card-driven abstract strategy game based upon the American political scandal of the same name. One player is the journalists trying to uncover the truth, while Nixon is trying to hold on to power by blocking their ability to connect the dots. Rules Video

Hanamikoji: A simple "I Split, You Choose" game about gaining the favor of geishas. You and your opponent have the same four actions to take each round in any order you choose, and they that dictate what you can play and where. You win when you have favor of 4 of the 7 or a total of 11 points worth. Rules Video

These two games are awesome, and both have online versions too!

Has anyone else played Furnace? I played it a couple of times a while back at 3 players and had a really good time - it seemed like a solid combination of bidding and engine building (lol), and both games we played ended up very close between the 3 players.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really enjoy Furnace. It's uncomplicated enough that it's an easy teach, and games are satisfying but still short.

Although I have met two players whose brains just short circuit over the game for some reason, and they just agonize endlessly over what to get and why. Beats me but :shrug: Triggers their AP for some reason.

It also has something I always appreciate in games: some kind of gear shift between early game and late game. Like, the things that are useful early on aren't the same things that are useful later, and navigating that shift is an important part of gameplay.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I played it once, apparently using the "not advanced" rules which let you rearrange your engine however you like, and did not care for it at all.

I've heard that with the "advanced" rule of your machines are set in the order you place them it's better, but I'm not sure if I'm going to try it again.

The auction part that felt a bit like Ra, but you get compensation for failed bids and sometimes prefer that, I liked that part.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Spikes32 posted:

Boop is a light two player game about bumping cats into each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

Napoleon's Triumph