Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Neat trick, right?

How do you even use a lance stirrup-less without just... levering yourself right off your own saddle? I doubt you'd be doing any lance charges. More sort of... riding up to the enemy, perhaps slowing down, then poking them? Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Certainly you can't couch your lance like a European knight, but they managed somehow. Heavy cavalry arranged around a pike phalanx with skirmishers around the edges was pretty much the recipe for Alexander's conquests. Even elephants couldn't break it.

I looked at the dates again and there's something like 900 years between this period and the introduction of the stirrup in Europe. I'm not sure when it hit the mediterranean, mind.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

How do you even use a lance stirrup-less without just... levering yourself right off your own saddle? I doubt you'd be doing any lance charges. More sort of... riding up to the enemy, perhaps slowing down, then poking them? Hmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/64m6tm/how_were_lances_used_before_the_invention_of/

load of cool old art linked in this post

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I really like pop team epic. I don't entirely understand it, but it's "funny" in the same way heathcliff is, where I'm not sure if I've missed the joke or it's just like... not funny but on purpose. The cyborg bartender manga is nice and comfy too. K6bd is great but I'm not gonna reread along on my phone because it really is too big and detailed for the tiny screen.

Thanks for posting your favourite comics, goons.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

field balm posted:

I really like pop team epic. I don't entirely understand it, but it's "funny" in the same way heathcliff is, where I'm not sure if I've missed the joke or it's just like... not funny but on purpose. The cyborg bartender manga is nice and comfy too. K6bd is great but I'm not gonna reread along on my phone because it really is too big and detailed for the tiny screen.

Thanks for posting your favourite comics, goons.

A lot of PTE is lost in translation
Amd some of it is just mediocre

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You posted the second page twice.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A lot of PTE is lost in translation
Amd some of it is just mediocre

Which makes it embarrassingly better than just about every manga ever.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I like the side eye cyclope skeleton is giving.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rodbeard posted:

Why does every character speak like English isn't their first language?

Chris Onstad might be the only actual English-speaker in the entire world and the rest of us are just trying to grab his coattails

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i like that Val's mood is immediately obvious to anyone who isn't really in to improv but is at an improv event.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: A man's tongue has the power to split worlds - Proverb

quote:

What makes a knight?
A shining blade or bloody battered steel?
Let us name the Orders Four and the truth within reveal.

THE GEAS KNIGHT unknown by name, the seeker proud and true,
His endless quest hath rent the stars yet known is he by few,

THE PEREGRINE, whose bell always rings the crack of breaking day,
It’s nameless peal will drive the ceaseless evil from the ways,

THE BLOODY KNIGHT, belligerent, her edge tastes skulls and lives,
The viscera of common men and royalty besides,

THE MENDICANT, the beggar knight, roughly clad and shod,
He lives as though he were a beast, but fights he as a God.

– Children’s Rhyme.

Alt text: Remember their faces. Remember their names. Pray to them often, and give to the flames.

quote:

ii. The lie of the iron plum

There was once a king named UN-Payam who sat at the right hand of YISUN’s throne and ruled a palace of burnished gold and fire and dispensed justice in all things. It was let known once that Payam had grown an extraordinary plum – enormous in size, with adamant skin that was burnished as a breastplate and fifty times as hardy. Payam was desirous of a pillow friend of fiery heart and excellent skill with their mouth and let know that whosoever could break the skin of that plum with their teeth he would swear to share his bed with for three nights in whatever disposition they may desire.

Many gods were in attendance at Payam’s hall on the first day, and even more on the second day, but by the third day of this strange contest few remained who had not tested their mettle, for the plum remained implacable and immaculate and turned many away with sore teeth and roiling frustration in their brains. A great cry rose up and YISUN was called forth from the twenty third clockwise palace of carbon where YISUN had been meditating on the point of a thirty acre long spear of crystallized time. In companionship with YISUN was Hansa, who followed along.

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

YISUN was very fond of plums and immediately grasped the iron plum and took a long, succulent bite, praising its merits to the amazement of all.

“How!” wailed the attended.

“Why, it is a plum of flesh, and quite ripe as well,” said YISUN plainly, and indeed, it was apparent to those gathered that it was the case. The plum was passed around and touched and indeed it was sensual and soft and pliant. Hansa was not so convinced. “It is still a plum of iron,” said he, “there is some trickery here, oh master of masters.”

“Indeed, it is so,” said YISUN, and it was again apparent to those gathered that the flesh of that plum was as hard and impermeable as a fortress. “How can it be so?” said Hansa, “How comes this fickle nature? Plums and the fifty winds are not so alike I think.”

YISUN said, “I told you of this and, believing it, it was so. We are all secret kings of our own tower. In truth, it is whichever you prefer. In truth, there is no plum at all, just as there is no YISUN. A plum has no shape, form, or color at all, in truth, but these are all things I find pleasing about it. A plum has no taste at all for it has no flesh or substance, but I find its sweetness intoxicating. A plum is a thing that does not exist. But it is my favorite fruit.”

“A pipe is a thing that does exist, and it is my favorite past time,” said Hansa, lacking understanding, and growing in cynicism.

“What a paradox!” said YISUN, smiling, “I shall share my love tenderly with Payam.”

Alt text: A great warrior kills with his weapon, a greater still his hands, a greater still his tongue, a greater still a glance, yet the greatest have no need for killing at all.

quote:

“Let the ruling king always keep a clown about him and on his council, and let the fool babble on what he like, and relentless mock the king and all his grand and royal plans and designs at the idiot’s discretion. For there is no greater councilor than one who will clearly speak truth to folly.”

– “Fifteen ways of ruling”, DE 1559, attributed to Au, the Pankrator of the Yellow City of Vesh.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If this is Dark Souls, I see we've found our Patches.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Philippe posted:

If this is Dark Souls, I see we've found our Patches.
Nah, that's a few books away.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The middle section is a really interesting view of future events.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

you feel your sins crawling on your back

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Chekhov's beans

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat Daniel

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
how does Back keep getting better

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can't believe the beans came back

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kennel posted:

Chekhov's beans
Those beans are Chekhov's assault rifle at this point.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
He would never jeopardise the beans

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

also lol at frick having to cross his body with his one arm to cover both ears

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Josef bugman posted:

The middle section is a really interesting view of future events.

And past events, and events which never occur, and are now occuring.

If anyone is wondering how YISUN can coexist in these stories with the multitude of other gods, when the gods only came to be from YISUN's suicide, there's a very simple answer,

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I love a good title drop

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey anyone have the name of that podcast that's supposed to be Achewood's GOF. Thought it might be fun to listen to while I read along.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: With the brutal Taro bearing down upon them, Joost and Cepelis think fast for a solution! They combine their powers of heroin to attract leaves together, enough to create a huge hang glider that allows all four of the team--Joost, Cepelis, Fast Amublance, and P-Mol--to leap off the cliff to safety!

Read right to left:

Chapter 32 - In the Middle Ages, Cannibalism Was More Difficult

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

good LORD i missed Joost :swoon:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

finally, some theology i can get behind

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Hey anyone have the name of that podcast that's supposed to be Achewood's GOF. Thought it might be fun to listen to while I read along.

I went back a couple pages but couldn’t find the goon who mentioned it. It’s called brain tape though. I listened to the first episode an hour ago and it seems pretty good.

E: found it, sorry Philippe:

Philippe posted:

Listen to brain tape! It's a podcast about Achewood, where two people (one of which knows nothing about Achewood and the other one knows far too much) go through the Great Outdoor Fight. They have opinions and it's great.

One of their theses is that the GOF is very much about masculinity, and a sort of dirtbag, "reject modernity embrace tradition" masculinity no less.

chaibat has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Dec 12, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have some good news. Space-time lesbian story Qualia the Purple’s light novel just released and the manga will be legally available next summer! I wrote a shelf talker for it at my store

Anyways, Uramachi Sakaba

Spooky

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Effin' amazing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

This one the environment actually managed to squick me out, this rules.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lmfao

Also I'm with Leslie

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ghost guy just straight up murdered a man with diarrhea

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Should have called the strip Beans

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

You posted the second page twice.

Dangit, fixed.

Emzedoh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTViGS0HqMs

Note the lack of stirrups on the saddles. Those wouldn't be seen in Europe until about the 6th or 7th century CE.

edit: added missing page 3

I like Ptolemy's reaction there. He would famously write his own history of Alexander's conquests, though it survives only in references in other works.

Pretty sure this is the only appearance of Alexander's secretary and later general (how did that happen?), Eumenes. However, his story is told (with some liberties) in Hitoshi Iwaaki's excellent Historie.

Go read Historie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm imagining Callisthenes to sound like Droopy.