Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

That's a good interview that makes quite a few things clear.

It doesn't need to be the same as a Souls game for FROM to do it justice. They are a known quality now in terms of dark atmosphere, world building, style and quality action. All of those can be applied to Armored Core without turning it into Mech Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I played a bunch of AC4A for the first time over the weekend and really enjoyed it. RPCS3 emulates it extremely well. It was going smoothly until I hit White Glint and got absolutely filtered. Any tips? I've tried both machine guns and the plasma rifles and he shreds me if I'm close enough for the former and I can't land a hit on him with the latter.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Big Bizness posted:

I played a bunch of AC4A for the first time over the weekend and really enjoyed it. RPCS3 emulates it extremely well. It was going smoothly until I hit White Glint and got absolutely filtered. Any tips? I've tried both machine guns and the plasma rifles and he shreds me if I'm close enough for the former and I can't land a hit on him with the latter.

My go to weapons for AC4A are dual sniper rifles. They have amazing tracking and range and can plink enemies down reliably.

Alternatively you can gamble for the one shot melee kill, but I've never been good enough to do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My own AC4A replay ate poo poo hard at Big Box and I honestly couldn't even tell you why. I never had an issue there before, but for whatever reason the same build I always do just ate poo poo and collapsed for like an hour lol. I switched to the nuclear missile launcher and called it a day instead :v:

Also Chromehounds 2 when

e: Also it will forever be rad as hell that the assault cell satellites are actually in the game if you bother to fly straight up on a cradle for a while and it freaks the operator out when they start to open fire on you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yP5Dxl9NM

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 12, 2022

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Loading up ACV now. I'm gonna try to make some progress on this one since I left it unfinished in the past.

Any good tips on effective builds in this one?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the trailer goes extremely hard, not just in the tease dept but that it feels so different from every other promo material right now. also, i know reaction vid culture is AIDS but i absolutely adore the way longtime fans of the series responded to the trailer, that's some wholesome content right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM8MRFIpONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpuBFFDJVSU

hell, same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrd8mkehCw&t=140s
(timestamped)

It's one of the best trailers ever imo

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
It’s really weird that there hasn’t been big mainstream hit Mech game in 20 years. MW 4 was close a million units back in early 2000s. Everything since seems to be under 500k, which is insane when you think about how big gaming has gotten.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How well did Titanfall 1 and 2 do? I know it wasn’t a smash hit but it must’ve hit over a million at least. Though people seem to like it despite the mechs and not because of

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TF2's not a very good game, but playing as a parkouring Predator with a shotgun is pretty cool and good. Unfortunately there are parts of the game where you are not doing that.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Big Bizness posted:

I just tried out dual Back mounted Rosenthal Chainguns and they got the job done. And drat are they satisfying to use! I have the vibration setting turned all the way up and firing them simultaneously feels like Star Fox 64 levels of rumble.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

hatty posted:

How well did Titanfall 1 and 2 do? I know it wasn’t a smash hit but it must’ve hit over a million at least. Though people seem to like it despite the mechs and not because of

Oh I forgot about TF Series. TF2 sold 4 million units according to Morgan Stanley estimates. It plays more like CoD than a mech game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Euchre_AFGC/status/1601686470481567744?s=19

:stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That moment where you're not sure if the person playing drops half at the start of match as part of some strategy, or because they were just clicking all the buttons so fast it was an accident...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Kotaku posted:

Here’s what else we learned about Armored Core VI from IGN’s interview:
  • The story is segmented into missions
  • You customize your loadout in-between missions
  • Earn money from missions to buy better gear for your mech
  • There will be a versus mode but multiplayer isn’t the focus
  • Brand new setting and story that doesn’t connect to earlier games
  • Boss battles featuring violent machines are the “highlight of the game”

"Man who runs studio that makes Armored Core games assures nervous public that new Armored Core game will be an Armored Core game."

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

man i hope they change the way the camera and target locking works in these games. been playing For Answer for a bit, and it’s awesome, but the camera and target stuff feel real jank. Maybe i just need to adapt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to boss battle a non violent machine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/elliottgray/status/1601331252698943488

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

24th*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope they put in the arena battle mode from 2 where you can fight every other mech in the game. I remember making a cool robot that was light enough to fly indefinitely and was completely made of missiles just to nuke enemy mechs from orbit in the arena.

It had 7777 health and I was inordinately proud of it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I remember fondly using absolutely fuckoff huge back mounted energy beam things with like a single digit number of shots in the old games, man its been a long time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've never played AC. But a mech game made by FromSoft?

Yes. Inject that directly into my bloodstream. I will of course use the AC equivalent of Lightning Spear (that pile driver in the trailer looks like a good start) my entire first playthrough in true EldenSoulsBorn fashion

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
It sounds like they basically want to remake AC4A, but with a posture mechanic (and maybe some kind of movement changes). Which is good enough for me and I'm probably going to preorder this, although it's weird that there doesn't seem to be more to it. But they really should improve the camera and controls, and maybe have a tutorial or something for the garage for new players.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IpcH_HqzY

Was this video posted yet if so sorry but it's sick as gently caress so not sorry

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

punished milkman posted:

man i hope they change the way the camera and target locking works in these games. been playing For Answer for a bit, and it’s awesome, but the camera and target stuff feel real jank. Maybe i just need to adapt

I would really like the lock box to come back rather than a vague notion of 'if on screen, then maybe lock on to it'. Make sight and FCSes and stuff have actual visible pros and cons in the immediate sense.

Also either strip out entirely or hugely reduce the efficacy of quickboost because it is really just this as a mechanic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7haqnQvrYfI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's that super boost focused gameplay that led me to bounce off 4 when I played it. Massive departure from 2 which had nothing like that. The old AC games were much slower and more plodding but I just can't play stuff that high speed.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

BOOOORING... I want another chrome hounds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want the translation to be as bad as ever because I still lol at "Overed Boost"

Ice Fist posted:

Yes. Inject that directly into my bloodstream. I will of course use the AC equivalent of Lightning Spear (that pile driver in the trailer looks like a good start) my entire first playthrough in true EldenSoulsBorn fashion

Fun fact: the Pile Driver was a Bloodborne weapon too

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
From the IGN interview, thought this was interesting:

quote:

There are no elements directly referring to Sekiro, but I feel both titles share the same essence of battle such as aggressive, speed change and action-oriented fighting. For this title, by continuing to attack even the strongest enemy, the force of impact can break the enemy's posture and inflict a large amount of damage – a critical hit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Scary Owl posted:

Reminds me of Primal (lol) Armor++

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is going to be elden ring with rocket boosts and turn speed

e: Realistically though I hope they squeeze everything they can out of Sekiros design. That system seems like it would be extremely easy to adapt into a dash-focused robot game.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 12, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Big Scary Owl posted:

Yeah that's an illuminating detail. I get the sense that they're not going to bring any mechanics or structure directly from the Souls games, but they'll be drawing from the more general lessons they've learned over the course of the series, like how to incentivize player aggression.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope they still have NPCs that go heh heh heh... at the end of long speeches

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope they still have NPCs that go heh heh heh... at the end of long speeches

They need more characters like the LCC liaison briefing guy from Armored Core 2. That dude was hilarious scummy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cant wait for everyones favorite rapscallion, rusty patches

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I really like Patch's Armored Core emblem.

The bullet holes make every side a 6.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
"A fine Rubicon to you"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

I really like Patch's Armored Core emblem.

The bullet holes make every side a 6.

Since I've always played From games in english, I only recently found out that Patch(es) actually has a catchphrase across all his appearances, which was also his AC name. Kinda sad we missed out on that one. :smith:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ice Fist posted:

Yes. Inject that directly into my bloodstream.

Reading posts like this unironically thrills me. Hope they don't gently caress this one up and we get a dozen more shooty robot games.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Now I'm wondering, what was the problem with AC5, exactly? There was an emphasis on multiplayer, but was the singleplayer bad because of the game mechanics, or length? I missed playing those entries, but looking at it again now, they look like the slowest out of all the AC games, but nothing jumps out as being particularly awful

Anyways, I know a lot of people were hoping for soulsborne influences or an open world, but since they confirmed to be sticking with instanced missions, perhaps now we should be asking if this will be Nioh with guns, lol

edit: I know nioh already has guns, you know what I mean

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

History Comes Inside! posted:

IGN found a bunch of different ways to ask “so what soulsborne stuff have you put in the game” and kept being told “none”

lmao