Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
2011 escape, you click the thing on each wheel to learn in a sequence, yet it won't display tire pressures as far as I recall. I'm not sure if it tells you which is low when that happens either. We just had a low tire and I had to fill all four.

2015 Sierra, program in sequence and the truck lights up the parking light on that side so you know which to do. And it does report pressures in the display.

Both just require you to go into programming mode and go around, and you have to drive it round the block to wake them up id they haven't been used. I forget this annually for the winter tire swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
What's a good place to find SAE 12-point swivel sockets?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

I have exactly one of those in 12mm and it's used for exactly one thing: ford driveshafts. It's a Tekton.

I'd suggest getting a set of 6 points unless you also have a very specific need for 12. Tekton has all kinds (long and short shaft, 6 and 12 point, various kit sizes) and I've been pretty happy with the price/quality of their tools.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Motronic posted:

I have exactly one of those in 12mm and it's used for exactly one thing: ford driveshafts. It's a Tekton.

I'd suggest getting a set of 6 points unless you also have a very specific need for 12. Tekton has all kinds (long and short shaft, 6 and 12 point, various kit sizes) and I've been pretty happy with the price/quality of their tools.

It's for A&P school.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

It's for A&P school.

Then I wouldn't want to suggest anything other than "ask you school what you should buy".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On quick jack talk, I finally got the one I ordered a few years back set up. The tandem garage I had was too narrow and you couldn't really work on cars outside of the garage at the condo I lived in so they sat in the box until today.

Tested it out today and it worked great. I'll have to do oil changes on the Prius every month and a half or so with my commute so it'll be nice to have for that alone.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are those things rated at :krad:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That looks awesome

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PhotoKirk posted:

Depending on size you need, how about Sunex? Assuming you want impact rated anyway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only real downside I find with the quickjack is that they are a bit of a pain to move around the ground... I was thinking of putting some uhmw pads on the bottom to help slide around and position into place.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Only real downside I find with the quickjack is that they are a bit of a pain to move around the ground... I was thinking of putting some uhmw pads on the bottom to help slide around and position into place.

Yeah from research it’s not realistic for me and my gravel driveway. I’m going to concrete it in the future when I build a garage with apartment combo…but that could be 5 years from now

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gravel? Yeah probably not a great idea unless you poured a small pad.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I was pretty excited about the jack wheel upgrade kit, but holy poo poo, the least expensive one is $120. Nevermind.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

You could always DIY, but I would make no claims about strength.

https://youtu.be/WCDR1tqltIs

The plastic wheels in the kit weigh more than the steel Harbor Freight wheels I took off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are those things rated at :krad:

Those are the 5000lb version. The Prius barely works on it without the extensions you can buy. The M3 fits perfectly and the S2000 should as well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Looking to buy a new set of ratchet handles, I already have some cheap ones to live with my car tool kit but I kinda want to get something nicer for the garage tools. This set seems good (and really cheap), and the 120-tooth mechanism sounds like it'd be really nice to have. I know Gearwrench is generally pretty great, does anyone have any experience with these before I pull the trigger?

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81230P-Drive-Polish-Ratchet/dp/B00BTEXPDK

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-special-edition-gold-plated-ratchet-56907.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have the Gearwrench 84-tooth flex-handle in 1/4 drive and it is nice.

Re: offroad jacks, Harbor Freight has literally just launched a Badland-branded jack which already has big wheels bolted on and includes a height extension for the saddle as well:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/off-road/3-ton-off-road-jack-59136.html

$300 as-built, which thanks to modern jack prices comes out cheaper than buying a new 3-ton jack and modifying it yourself.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the Gearwrench 84-tooth flex-handle in 1/4 drive and it is nice.

Re: offroad jacks, Harbor Freight has literally just launched a Badland-branded jack which already has big wheels bolted on and includes a height extension for the saddle as well:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/off-road/3-ton-off-road-jack-59136.html

$300 as-built, which thanks to modern jack prices comes out cheaper than buying a new 3-ton jack and modifying it yourself.

Tempting! I mainly need a 3 ton jack with a high lifting height like this, are there any for half this price without the big wheels and stuff?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

boxen posted:

Looking to buy a new set of ratchet handles, I already have some cheap ones to live with my car tool kit but I kinda want to get something nicer for the garage tools. This set seems good (and really cheap), and the 120-tooth mechanism sounds like it'd be really nice to have. I know Gearwrench is generally pretty great, does anyone have any experience with these before I pull the trigger?

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81230P-Drive-Polish-Ratchet/dp/B00BTEXPDK

I have a couple of them and they're nice. The only potential downside is they might have a weaker mechanism since there are two pawls (only one engaged at a time) and presumably they're smaller than normal in order to fit where there is normally only one. I haven't run into any issues or heard of others having problems so it's probably fine.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is that really that good a deal ? Non flex head but you could get Wera 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" for about the same if you get the switch version.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05004034001-Zyklop-Ratchet-Switch/dp/B00IMF1B8K/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Galler posted:

I have a couple of them and they're nice. The only potential downside is they might have a weaker mechanism since there are two pawls (only one engaged at a time) and presumably they're smaller than normal in order to fit where there is normally only one. I haven't run into any issues or heard of others having problems so it's probably fine.

I was wondering about this but decided it's not something I'm worried about (similar idea on if the flex head makes it weaker). I have a Milwaukee Nut Fucker 5000 and a 1/2 breaker bar+pipe for things that are really stuck on, so IN THEORY I shouldn't ever be putting a huge amount of stress on the mechanisms of these.

I can't really find anywhere stating negative opinions on them other than about the mail-in return/exchange warranty, but Snap-On doesn't stop by my house so I think I'll just go with these.

Edit:

knox_harrington posted:

Is that really that good a deal ? Non flex head but you could get Wera 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" for about the same if you get the switch version.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05004034001-Zyklop-Ratchet-Switch/dp/B00IMF1B8K/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

That was the other option I was debating. It's between the Gearwrench 120-tooth/flex-head vs how goddamned nice Wera stuff is.

boxen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I saw in a circular that Menards now sells Surface Shield. This is a lanolin-based spray like Fluid Film made by the company that makes PB Blaster. The manufacturer says that Surface Shield has a cedar scent, which represents a major improvement over the garbage-truck-on-a-summer-day scent of Fluid Film. FF is otherwise a pretty great product.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

I saw in a circular that Menards now sells Surface Shield. This is a lanolin-based spray like Fluid Film made by the company that makes PB Blaster. The manufacturer says that Surface Shield has a cedar scent, which represents a major improvement over the garbage-truck-on-a-summer-day scent of Fluid Film. FF is otherwise a pretty great product.

I picked up a half dozen cans of it after seeing some independent testing. My local auto zone had it in stock and cheaper than amazon/Home Depot. I'm hoping on some of the Japanese imports that already have minor surface rust, it will act as a short-term protectant for all the nooks and crannies.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

Hey now. It smells like a flock of damp unshorn sheep, not a garbage truck.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

sharkytm posted:

Hey now. It smells like a flock of damp unshorn sheep, not a garbage truck.

Depends on what your neighbors have been throwing away I guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is there a thread favorite rivnut tool, or are they all pretty much the same?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

is there a thread favorite rivnut tool, or are they all pretty much the same?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8YZY23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one is surprisingly good. Nice range of sizes, storage cases for the bits, etc. Just throw away the rivnuts it comes with.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVuvobv/

I wonder how much you have to spend at SnapOn to get SnapOn branded Christmas presents for your kids.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVuvobv/

I wonder how much you have to spend at SnapOn to get SnapOn branded Christmas presents for your kids.

I want to know who says they aren’t getting their kids any presents because they are going on a trip to Wisconsin and that’s their present

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

everdave posted:

I want to know who says they aren’t getting their kids any presents because they are going on a trip to Wisconsin and that’s their present

With the kind of money that dad is spending with the SnapOn truck, you really expect them to be able to afford both?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Eh, they guy could have won that stuff in a raffle or had the dealer toss it at him to get rid of it for buying something basic like a 70$ set of picks.

If they give you a jacket, you’ve spent too much.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

He told the dealer about the Wisconsin family vacation and the guy took pity on him.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

As a father of beautiful five-year-old, if someone gifts your children a karaoke microphone and a xylophone, it means they loving HATE YOU. That woman's husband either never buys anything or is far in arrears on his payments.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

As a father of beautiful five-year-old, if someone gifts your children a karaoke microphone and a xylophone, it means they loving HATE YOU. That woman's husband either never buys anything or is far in arrears on his payments.

Ha ha I agree.

And just to throw in some sage advice here from my beautiful 8 year olds recent birthday party…DO NOT, for any reason, include those blowing expanding noisemakers in treat bags for the kids at the party. They WILL get them out and that will be their favorite things and you will lose your F’ing mind and not be able to poo poo them up for one second to do anything at said party.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PBCrunch posted:

In hindsight one of my best decisions was taking up drums and then getting an electric drum set. "Oh, no need to get my child an instrument: he can just play the drums I already have. That require headphones to hear as more than a light tapping." Can probably do the same with an electric guitar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cat Hatter posted:

In hindsight one of my best decisions was taking up drums and then getting an electric drum set. "Oh, no need to get my child an instrument: he can just play the drums I already have. That require headphones to hear as more than a light tapping." Can probably do the same with an electric guitar.

My sister took up electric guitar when we were growing up, and she became convinced you *could never* touch the settings on the amp, including volume, or you'd ruin the sound of the instrument. I bought her headphones and you could still hear her playing throughout the whole house, just not as obnoxiously.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Safety Dance posted:

My sister took up electric guitar when we were growing up, and she became convinced you *could never* touch the settings on the amp, including volume, or you'd ruin the sound of the instrument. I bought her headphones and you could still hear her playing throughout the whole house, just not as obnoxiously.

Was it an acoustic/electric? Because I'm just imagining a teenager jamming on a solid-body guitar with headphones turned up so loud the wearer's ears are bleeding from sound audible from three rooms away.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PBCrunch posted:

Yeah that’s the same energy as buying permanent markers for a toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I recommend:
Recorders
Harmonicas
Vuvuzelas
Drum sets
Accordions
Bagpipes

These are all cursed devices that operate on the inverse Monsters Inc principle, i.e. they convert happy children's energy directly into human misery and suffering. No batteries required so there will be no peace, ever.

If these are not sufficient, teach the children to whistle piercingly, but do not teach them anything else like actual musical ability or responsibility.