Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No I think they just ended up giving the role to Edward Furlong instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1602338237892231168?s=20&t=AchtASDnziLkFY6Fw00qxA

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Friend posted:

Remember when everybody was saying Twitter would crash in a manner of days? Whatever happened to that?

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1602120493519503361?t=VmKkgM1PmFiGUOeF61h25A&s=19

I have seen a Blackhawks jersey at every hockey game I've been to and I have never seen them play.

The European games are funny as hell because the fans have no idea what the gently caress is going on so they just wear whatever jersey they have lying around.

The atmosphere is wild too. After the game they hosted in Germany, the crowd just refused to leave after the game was over. People were singing. Lots of dudes taking their shirts off. It visibly annoyed one of the post-game commentators because it was so loud she couldn’t speak to the point where she goes, “Why won’t these people go HOME”

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Platystemon posted:

Elon Musk paid forty-four billion dollars to become Pagliacci the clown.

Pagliacci was funny and people wanted to see him

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/1602360006925586432

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Frank Frank posted:

The European games are funny as hell because the fans have no idea what the gently caress is going on so they just wear whatever jersey they have lying around.

lol no, we go to the game wearing our teams jerseys because the way they booked the games is convince a team nobody actually likes to drop a home game in order to come to Europe against a team that would never willingly do so. It used to be one game a year and it was a miracle it happened at all, so the attitude was "Football? gently caress yeah!" and you'd represent your faves and just go to have a good rear end time.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/nancylcoleman/status/1602156394463039490

https://twitter.com/dunevillenuve/status/1602042576336715776

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

It's the whole reason they *constantly* say "We the People" and then failed to replicate it with "Where We Go One We Go All" which makes no sense but sounds wise because it uses inverse syntax

It's a line from the movie White Squall.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh well if it's from a cultural touchstone of that magnitude, apologies to the brain wormed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Friend posted:

Remember when everybody was saying Twitter would crash in a manner of days? Whatever happened to that?

I’m honestly pretty surprised that the worst of it had been them screwing up 2fa for a bit there. I would have been willing to put money down that it would have gone up in flames by now but that may be a testament to how well it was implemented before the culling. This said I’ve gotten a dramatic uptic in spam messages since this all went down so who even knows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What will actually kill it is if he follows through on this

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
"An Injury to One is an Injury to All" was taken by non-shitheads

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

I’m honestly pretty surprised that the worst of it had been them screwing up 2fa for a bit there. I would have been willing to put money down that it would have gone up in flames by now but that may be a testament to how well it was implemented before the culling. This said I’ve gotten a dramatic uptic in spam messages since this all went down so who even knows.

a website the size of twitter can coast a long time on a bare minimum level of maintenance. there's always the risk of some cascading failure spiral that nobody knows how to fix but so long as you don't gently caress with it too much then it could keep going a while

of course musk is going to gently caress with it too much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you had a twitter glitch in 2021 - "Ugh this loving site"
When you have one now - "The falcon cannot hear the falconer"

We can go back to the day of and see all the dire predictions about Twitter not lasting the weekend. I have noticed no differences in site operation since dipshit took over, just way more terrible tweets.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

zoux posted:

We can go back to the day of and see all the dire predictions about Twitter not lasting the weekend. I have noticed no differences in site operation since dipshit took over, just way more terrible tweets.

it seems like replies are being obsessively policed but idk

https://twitter.com/ShameFlashWeft/status/1602384846659125251?s=20&t=bZDjc7i6aTw7C3CuGLgkxg

I can't figure out a good way to show that the hard drive tweet has like 3 posted replies without making people check the tweet themselves, but i don't remember twitter being cultivated so aggressively no matter how annoying people have been.

e: it's funny and good though so whatever

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Dec 12, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hate it when the falcon can't here the falconer. Always have

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I hate it when the falcon can't here the falconer. Always have

Do not google the gyre

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair, pre-Elon Twitter was also weird and lovely about showing all replies. Social media often fails when it comes to some pretty basic functions and desired features!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I mean, netflix keeps recommending it to me, and it's obviously about Wednesday Addams going to goth high school with assorted night creatures. It's not a complex premise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rainbow Knight posted:

it seems like replies are being obsessively policed but idk

I've seen this on a bunch of tweets recently, can't tell if it's pettiness or the site somehow not working when you strip it of its resources.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/logophobe/status/1602297979351834625?s=46&t=uA97CiWlXx54VAW_h7OWwA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's got the thinnest skin in the world and an almost pathological need to be liked, and so he has done the worst thing in the world for his mental health and personal satisfaction. And he's absolutely going to end up in penury for this, it's actually all pretty funny.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

zoux posted:

He's got the thinnest skin in the world and an almost pathological need to be liked, and so he has done the worst thing in the world for his mental health and personal satisfaction. And he's absolutely going to end up in penury for this, it's actually all pretty funny.

A quote about Trump in 2016 or a quote about Musk in 2022?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

A quote about Trump in 2016 or a quote about Musk in 2022?

The Post's lede for this piece from today

quote:

When you take just a step or two back, the picture isn’t that complicated. A billionaire business executive who has given to both Democratic and Republican candidates begins to make clear that his personal politics lean more heavily to the right. This seems in part to be a function of the media environment in which he operates. It is clearly exacerbated, too, by frustration at critical reporting from traditional news outlets.

The next thing you know, he’s sharing overtly right-wing content and cocooning himself in a universe of allies — even to the detriment of his own credibility. Once just a rich celebrity, suddenly the guy is a central component of a political movement. And leaning into it.

So it was that Donald Trump became president.

Oh, did you think I was talking about Elon Musk? Well, yeah, I was. That carefully articulated outline of behavior applies to both men by design. But that doesn’t mean that the parallels are contrived. Musk’s willing step into the spotlight has left little doubt about his current political inclinations, just as Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign made very clear — if more explicitly — where he stood.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

zoux posted:

This could easily be about me though.

As terribly depressed and so very tired of the world as I am, it's actually rather comforting to know that the richest guy in the world is just about as much of a loser, and he doesn't even know it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

This could easily be about me though.

As terribly depressed and so very tired of the world as I am, it's actually rather comforting to know that the richest guy in the world is just about as much of a loser, and he doesn't even know it.

The fact that he has more money than god but he spends his time publicly owning himself over and over makes him a much, much bigger loser. You or I would have just hosed off to a private island with good internet at this point.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

zoux posted:

1. Trending Tweets sometimes contain Chinese spam, and often link to tweets that don't contain or even refer to the phrase that is supposedly trending. There used to be a two-person team that curated Trending Tweets and wrote the explanation underneath, and they've apparently been fired. Nowadays, you just get garbage.
2. I can't post images into a post from Tweetdeck any more.
3. The infamous 2FA glitch.

Are any of those game-changing? 3) would have been if they hadn't fixed it. 1) and 2) are minor, but they are differences in site operation. There was also the extremely failed rollout of buy-your-checkmark, which failed in all the ways anybody sensible would have (and did) advise Musk about.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I don't know about you but if twitter doesn't fail soon I'll be pissed. I'm standing around looking like a 7th day adventure tourist over here

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The sort of events that could lead to an extended Twitter outage happen in pretty unpredictable intervals. I know it's going down at some point, but I am absolutely not making any predictions about when.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/cosmic_andrew1/status/1602394888359772197?s=46&t=uA97CiWlXx54VAW_h7OWwA

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This whole thread about how criminally stupid Twitter's devops was. Has nothing to do with Musk, has a lot to do with "well, it's worked so far" as you tapdance on a melting ice bridge.

https://twitter.com/AvidHalaby/status/1602127460677844993

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This whole thread about how criminally stupid Twitter's devops was. Has nothing to do with Musk, has a lot to do with "well, it's worked so far" as you tapdance on a melting ice bridge.

That thread is a ride, but I’m not surprised that they don’t have separate dev/test data environments. Replicating the Twitter data set in a way that would make testing be representative of production operation would be pretty hard. FB doesn’t have a separate test data set either (just test users in the production/only data space), but the rest of their controls were better afaict.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

zoux posted:

Oh well if it's from a cultural touchstone of that magnitude, apologies to the brain wormed.

It’s one of the characters doing a bad off-the-cuff translation of their prep school’s Latin motto, to make the thing even stupider.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

That thread is a ride, but I’m not surprised that they don’t have separate dev/test data environments. Replicating the Twitter data set in a way that would make testing be representative of production operation would be pretty hard. FB doesn’t have a separate test data set either (just test users in the production/only data space), but the rest of their controls were better afaict.
Can you unpack this a little more? Google and various Google sub-products (Gmail) do have separate dev and test.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you unpack this a little more? Google and various Google sub-products (Gmail) do have separate dev and test.

Things that have arbitrary interplay between complex user states are less amenable to isolated test than those that pretty much only deal with one isolated corpus (gmail) or have those other users’ states encapsulated behind ranking coefficients (Google search), I think.

I’m not sure what sort of unpacking you mean, though!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lmao Twitter has no PDP? That’s amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Things that have arbitrary interplay between complex user states are less amenable to isolated test than those that pretty much only deal with one isolated corpus (gmail) or have those other users’ states encapsulated behind ranking coefficients (Google search), I think.

I’m not sure what sort of unpacking you mean, though!
No, that's the sort of thing I meant! But Google as a whole absolutely has arbitrary interplay between complex user states. Consider all the people using Google Maps and sharing locations with one another; consider that on my Android phone, Google Assistant is noticing when I have a bill coming due (from my Gmail) and popping up a message.

You can argue that all this interconnection is creepy as poo poo, and I won't deny you. But Gmail is no longer an isolated corpus, nor is Maps, nor is what remains of Waze.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, that's the sort of thing I meant! But Google as a whole absolutely has arbitrary interplay between complex user states. Consider all the people using Google Maps and sharing locations with one another; consider that on my Android phone, Google Assistant is noticing when I have a bill coming due (from my Gmail) and popping up a message.

You can argue that all this interconnection is creepy as poo poo, and I won't deny you. But Gmail is no longer an isolated corpus, nor is Maps, nor is what remains of Waze.

It’s great that they’ve been able to create a representative environment, in that case. At FB we were not, no doubt in part due to historic failings of encapsulation. It’s not impossible at the limit, but it is pretty hard! For all of my time at FB, it was a much smaller engineering team than at Google, and I suspect that’s the case for pretty much everyone other than Google. :)

When I talk about interaction of user state, though, I don’t mean “user X sent a thing to user Y”, but “all of a few thousand users’ interaction patterns affect how (or if) a unit displays”. FB also had approximately gently caress all for unit tests, of course, which I found shocking and then came to accept grudgingly.

I was the technical lead for the team at FB who evaluated Waze during the bidding war between FB and Google for them, and I’m 99% sure that they didn’t have a separated test environment which actually modelled the inter-user interactions at the time. (To be sure, the time was 2013 or whatever.) Retrofitting that would be quite the undertaking, so kudos to whatever team pulled that off!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lmao Musk's backers spent $44 billion more than they needed to take Twitter down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

It’s great that they’ve been able to create a representative environment, in that case. At FB we were not, no doubt in part due to historic failings of encapsulation. It’s not impossible at the limit, but it is pretty hard! For all of my time at FB, it was a much smaller engineering team than at Google, and I suspect that’s the case for pretty much everyone other than Google. :)

When I talk about interaction of user state, though, I don’t mean “user X sent a thing to user Y”, but “all of a few thousand users’ interaction patterns affect how (or if) a unit displays”. FB also had approximately gently caress all for unit tests, of course, which I found shocking and then came to accept grudgingly.
Yeah, and we all know how much lived experience Google has with social. (Ans: The same experience, over and over, never learning from it.)

quote:

I was the technical lead for the team at FB who evaluated Waze during the bidding war between FB and Google for them, and I’m 99% sure that they didn’t have a separated test environment which actually modelled the inter-user interactions at the time. (To be sure, the time was 2013 or whatever.) Retrofitting that would be quite the undertaking, so kudos to whatever team pulled that off!
Oh, gotcha. Very cool experience, by the way. The Waze buy happened waaaaay after my time, so I have no idea what their devops looked like. The word of mouth on the parts of the trade press linked to from Twitter is that they've been thoroughly merged into Maps/navigation, and that it's not clear how much of the social functionality Google intends to carry forward.

The gossip I heard -- very old gossip -- was that both FB and Twitter's dev environments were reacting against what were seen as over-severe and elephantine requirements to release into Google prod. Hence "move fast, break things".