Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why doesn't Spider just take his loving mask off, masks don't work and covid is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

You know there’s not going to be some big reveal when the movie comes out that’s going to make all these people like it right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

You know there’s not going to be some big reveal when the movie comes out that’s going to make all these people like it right?

I mean I'd probably enjoy it well enough if I watched it.

Not gonna, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drunkboxer posted:

It's never a point to make them like it, it's to shame them for their insolence :black101:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

White trash na’vi in underwater trailer parks always bringing down coastal property values

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Is the version of Avatar on Disney+ the 4K version because I watched the first half of it last night and it doesn't look as good as I remember it—or maybe because I haven't seen it in at least 12 years and its dated.

Anyways there are quite a few movies released since then that I'd say are definitely more striking on a visual level; Fury Road, Prometheus, Blade Runner 2049, Dune, The Martian, Interstellar, etc.

On one hand I want this to do well because Hollywood in recent years is becoming aggressively terrible outside of established filmmakers(Nolan, Villenueve, Scorsese, etc) but on the other I fear Avatar might resurrect 3D and I loving hate 3D.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I love 3d. I even have a 3d TV (it's in my shop though).

Good 3d is sublime, but it's almost never good. That's a real shame.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

Is the version of Avatar on Disney+ the 4K version

No. It's 1080p. There has been no home release for the 4K HDR remaster of Avatar, and it's not available to stream.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love 3d. I even have a 3d TV (it's in my shop though).

The only time 3D has ever made me go 'whoa' was the bit in Dredd when they hosed with the depth layering while Anderson was doing her psychic interrogation of the guy who thought he could shock her. Other than that, the cinema 3D experience was "I'm wearing glasses over my glasses to look at sub-Viewmaster murky images that cause headache-inducing strobing every time the camera pans."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holyshit LOL

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Payndz posted:

The only time 3D has ever made me go 'whoa' was the bit in Dredd when they hosed with the depth layering while Anderson was doing her psychic interrogation of the guy who thought he could shock her. Other than that, the cinema 3D experience was "I'm wearing glasses over my glasses to look at sub-Viewmaster murky images that cause headache-inducing strobing every time the camera pans."

Which is why those scenes are 48fps in the smash new hit avatar 2!

dredd’s 3D was wonderful.

Yeah that’s the real problem, it’s too easy to fake it in post. I wonder if theater owners pressured studios to make 3d (poo poo or not) so they could recoup costs on all that equipment?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

lmao but i feel like his buddy should be recom quaritch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Horizon Burning posted:

lmao but i feel like his buddy should be recom quaritch

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Holy poo poo lol

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

yes YES

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

When is the embargo over?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watching the blu ray, and it’s the first time I’ve seen this in years. I forgot how full and richly textured the world looks. Some stuff had aged yes, but there’s so much detail everywhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

When is the embargo over?

December 13th, 12PM EST.

[edit]

checkplease posted:

Watching the blu ray, and it’s the first time I’ve seen this in years. I forgot how full and richly textured the world looks. Some stuff had aged yes, but there’s so much detail everywhere.

The decanting scene still outdoes the CG in any major blockbuster film from the last 10+ years or so imo. Feels like they spent an inordinate amount of time on that particular scene since it's the first time we're up close and personal with a na'vi in the movie.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 12, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People keep talking about Avatar 2’s potential box office, but not the absolute certainty that it will be very annoying.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People keep talking about Avatar 2’s potential box office, but not the absolute certainty that it will be very annoying.

explain

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He’s going to have to break out the blue body paint again for Halloween. I assume it’s pretty time consuming.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The posters who will flood the thread saying they didn't care about it or don't remember a thing about it a day after seeing it are going to be very annoying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1602300780735668224?s=46&t=hXnpajKuozeRDOC1TkHBHw
https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1602302266693668864

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would have chosen the ol' Jessie "He can't keep getting away with it!" personally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I would have chosen the ol' Jessie "He can't keep getting away with it!" personally.

Saving that for if/when they get the W's lmao.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shouldn't a movie be released and seen first before its nominated for awards? lol

Why not just nominate Avatar 3 while they're at it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Tom Guycot posted:

Shouldn't a movie be released and seen first before its nominated for awards? lol

Everyone doing the nominating has seen it, and by the time the award ceremony is held it will have been out for a month :shrug:.
Seems like it'd be silly to wait until next year to nominate it, it would be more than a year after it came out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Agreed.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Everyone doing the nominating has seen it, and by the time the award ceremony is held it will have been out for a month :shrug:.
Seems like it'd be silly to wait until next year to nominate it, it would be more than a year after it came out.

Award voters vote for movies they haven't seen all the freakin time . Whether this movie deserves the awards or not, this nomination is 100% an industry work.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Golden Globes is about their own brand and hobknobbing with the industry and aren't "actual" awards. At least the Academy is a bunch of people who are in or affiliated with the industry pretending to watch movies and voting on them.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

stratdax posted:

Award voters vote for movies they haven't seen all the freakin time . Whether this movie deserves the awards or not, this nomination is 100% an industry work.

I'll revise my opinion, but I still think that a decent percentage of voters have seen it already, those press screenings earlier this month were pretty huge.
Not sure what you mean by "an industry work" given that the voting body for the GGs are all journalists?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Our only regret is that we can't award all the prizes to Avatar in perpetuity, including retroactively for the past years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The stories are converging

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1602397646215385115?s=57&t=yLr_7J1Zy2zCjTPMAPZ5wQ

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

I'll revise my opinion, but I still think that a decent percentage of voters have seen it already, those press screenings earlier this month were pretty huge.
Not sure what you mean by "an industry work" given that the voting body for the GGs are all journalists?

Lol "journalists". These the same guys that nominated The Tourist for best comedy because they were paid by the studio to and they wanted to hang out with Johnny Depp? Walter Cronkite they are not. The Golden Globes are a complete farce and should not be - and are not - taken seriously at all. It's just a bunch of underpaid no names that write "contribution columns" for trash newspapers or the magazine at movies theaters, who want to pretend to be taken seriously and hang out with celebrities. As tiresome as he is, Ricky Gervais had it right when he completely dragged the awards show when he hosted. It's all just marketing, on both the studio's and the award's behalf.

Of course the industry writers who want a seat at the big boy table are going to hitch their wagon to a movie that's going to drive a shitload of people to the theaters, the very industry they're in. The nomination will probably be pretty good for the awards show ratings, too! More people are gonna tune in than if it was just a bunch of (potentially better) movies they've never heard of. It's not really an intricate conspiracy theory here, it's just the way it works.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 12, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

stratdax posted:

Lol "journalists". These the same guys that nominated The Tourist for best comedy because they were paid by the studio to and they wanted to hang out with Johnny Depp? Walter Cronkite they are not. The Golden Globes are a complete farce and should not be - and are not - taken seriously at all. It's just a bunch of underpaid no names that write "contribution columns" for trash newspapers or the magazine at movies theaters, who want to pretend to be taken seriously and hang out with celebrities. As tiresome as he is, Ricky Gervais had it right when he completely dragged the awards show when he hosted. It's all just marketing, on both the studio's and the award's behalf.

Of course the industry writers who want a seat at the big boy table are going to hitch their wagon to a movie that's going to drive a shitload of people to the theaters, the very industry they're in. The nomination will probably be pretty good for the awards show ratings, too! More people are gonna tune in than if it was just a bunch of (potentially better) movies they've never heard of. It's not really an intricate conspiracy theory here, it's just the way it works.

Yes, of course the GGs don't mean much, and the HFPA is ridiculous.
I think I must have just misinterpreted your "industry fix" comment, that's all, because usually when I hear people talk about "the industry" they're talking about people who are actually involved in movie/tv production. That was my only "point," here.
But you're definitely right, the HFPA want people to watch their show, especially after last year, and nominating Avatar will help with that, as will the Top Gun: Maverick nomination.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

drat I thought Mr. Submersible Boxoffice was useful enough to capital that he'd still have real covid protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He should go inside a tiny submarine