Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mst4k posted:

Did you have a well?

I had three stills going at once and still couldn’t keep up with need. It turned out my seeds were in a barrel inside a bag and I guess they’d been storing them there but not taking them out so my farms weren’t really going.

I’m also moving my farming like 10 levels deep because it’s already muddy from an unfortunate flood involving me switching the wrong lever. I guess the clay or whatever soil sucks now because it’s listed as “bad” and I’ve never fertilized.

The cavern floors are named something like “dense fungus” and are 5x more productive as farmland than muddy floor tiles. Check your farms, in the bottom left it’ll say if it’s poor soil quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Planter is a default work detail that turns on the Farming (Fields) labor, which is used for planting seeds. Harvesting uses the same labor, but if everyone's set to do it, everyone will regardless of work detail.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

It seems that all construction in my fortress has been suspended. No one has built anything for months. I am only in the first year and currently have 11 dwarves. What's going wrong?

Also, how do I get dwarves to grab stuff out of my trade depot and store it for general use?

csidle fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 12, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

pisshead posted:

This is how I did it:

1. Dig a tunnel here on the same level as the river (not the same level as the ground above the river, you should be able to see the 7 numbers). Then get your dwarf out of the tunnel.
2. Go to one level above the river (you can't see the 7s anymore), dig a channel to connect your tunnel and the river.
3. The water will slowly fill the tunnel (the ground will soak some of it up).
4. Dig a channel from the level above your water tunnel right above it, leaving a space. Build a well on this space. Dwarves can then use the well.
5. The same method can be used to turn your underground rooms muddy for farmland. Use floodgates to allow just enough water to cover the ground (you only need 1-2 water depth), then cut off the water with the floodgates, the water will soak in and you have some mud you can use for farming.
6. To use a floodgate, make one floodgate, then three mechanisms. Use one mechanism to make a lever, then click on it and click on 'link lever' to connect it to the floodgate (this will use the other two mechanisms). Then you can click on the lever to open or close the gate.

I have done it this way but it was inconvenient in my last fort so I tried the diagonal water pressure trick and it worked perfectly.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

pisshead posted:

This is how I did it:

1. Dig a tunnel here on the same level as the river (not the same level as the ground above the river, you should be able to see the 7 numbers). Then get your dwarf out of the tunnel.
2. Go to one level above the river (you can't see the 7s anymore), dig a channel to connect your tunnel and the river.
3. The water will slowly fill the tunnel (the ground will soak some of it up).
4. Dig a channel from the level above your water tunnel right above it, leaving a space. Build a well on this space. Dwarves can then use the well.
5. The same method can be used to turn your underground rooms muddy for farmland. Use floodgates to allow just enough water to cover the ground (you only need 1-2 water depth), then cut off the water with the floodgates, the water will soak in and you have some mud you can use for farming.
6. To use a floodgate, make one floodgate, then three mechanisms. Use one mechanism to make a lever, then click on it and click on 'link lever' to connect it to the floodgate (this will use the other two mechanisms). Then you can click on the lever to open or close the gate.

This needs 2 floodgates in the lower tunnel. One right next to the well and one near the source. In case of mistakes and renovations. You can also close the outer gate to make it into more of a cistern that is unconnected to the river while it is closed.

Also a door to the left of the well, that you can lock after you mistakenly flooded it.
And a fortification in the tunnel to keep the sewer gators out.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

csidle posted:

It seems that all construction in my fortress has been suspended. No one has built anything for months. I am only in the first year and currently have 11 dwarves. What's going wrong?

Also, how do I get dwarves to grab stuff out of my trade depot and store it for general use?

The normal reason for suspension is if another dwarf wants to use an item that is blocking the site, so the constructor can't remove it and suspends the task.
Just unsuspend it.

The should move the items to the appropriate stockpile after the caravan leaves. If you want to move them earlier, you have to unmark them in the item request menu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a difference between the Work Detail (Planter) and the Work Detail (Farming (Fields))?

As well, do either of them interact with "Everyone harvests"?

As far as I remember, the skill of the planter affects the amount of plants produced, while the skill of the harvester does not matter (except maybe for speed).

The main reason you'd want only selected dwarves harvesting is to avoid the situation of half your population suddenly rushing up or down to your farms at once.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

you climbed that tree to get up there didn't you, cow. There's no other way (the stairs are under construction now that I saw it)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you might be playing the wrong game, if you want Rimworld but with a different tileset.

Have you ever played Populous, or another god-game where you have no direct control?
Not a whole lot of god-games get what made Populous great, because it's basically the original simulation game to not let you have direct control - Dwarf Fortress is one of the few that get it right.
Another thing that sets Dwarf Fortress apart is that each tile is an 4X game, and there's a simulation of many thousands of 4X games happening around you, affecting your game.

If that's not what you want, that's fine - but dorfs are their own beings with their own thoughts and you're just some super-dimentional being who they'll sometimes blame (try putting a dorf under a bridge and have them pull the lever to lower it, or invent some other way where the only way the dorf could die is through direct player action).
I think that's a little harsh. The OP said they were liking it better than Rimworld.

The issue (for me at least) isn't that you can't control your dwarves- when it comes to combat the two games give you basically the same level of control over your units. The issue is that in Dwarf Fortress that controlling your dwarves in an incredibly obtuse process sometimes.

Say there's a hostile creature that suddenly shows up, like a kobold, and you want your dwarves to stand and fight it rather than running away. You can make them do it! You just need to assign a militia commander, put the dwarves nearby into a squad, pick their uniforms, get lost in the interface several times trying to make sure the right dwarves are activated, find a small button in the corner to target a creature, and then tell them to take out the kobold.

What you should be able to do is to click on a dwarf, tell them to get into combat mode, click on your dwarf and right click on the enemy.

That's not a difference in game philosophy, that's just a difference in interface. Dwarf Fortress is great, but its military interface is not the best.

Personally I have no shame in hiding behind literally thousands of automated giant green glass axe blades, so the obtuse military interface issues aren't the end of the world, but the game would be better with a simple military override on top of the more robust/obtuse customization options you currently need to grapple with to do anything.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

The normal reason for suspension is if another dwarf wants to use an item that is blocking the site, so the constructor can't remove it and suspends the task.
Just unsuspend it.

The should move the items to the appropriate stockpile after the caravan leaves. If you want to move them earlier, you have to unmark them in the item request menu.

This farm plot has been inactive for months. I don't think there's anything blocking it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Planter is a default work detail that turns on the Farming (Fields) labor, which is used for planting seeds. Harvesting uses the same labor, but if everyone's set to do it, everyone will regardless of work detail.

Ah, ok. So much like Hunters, Fisherdwarves, Plant gatherers, etc. I can turn those to "Nobody does this" and enable the labor in a Custom Work Detail instead. I guess Mining and Wood Cutting are the only two labors not available in Custom Work Details.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
My fort witnessed severe political upheaval.

It had no conflict aside from occasional werebeasts. According to the traders' news there was a war going on in the north, but none of it reached south. In the fort's seventh year the merchants reported that a northern fortress had fallen to the goblins. Perhaps in consequence the queen herself showed up and declared the fort to be the new capital. My dwarves busily set out to carve out royal accommodation, while more military preparations took place in anticipation of goblins following.

The queen was followed, but not by goblins: a dragon arrived to the mountain valley just as human merchants were packing up their things. The trade depot was sealed behind magma-proof drawbridges and citizens were ordered inside, but there were still dwarves outside. A procession of dwarven nobility kept arriving in order to visit the queen's new capital, and the dragon set upon them mercilessly.

Barons, counts and dukes all scrambled for the fort's second entrance, a narrow, trapped walkway crossing a deep pit, dug out many years ago but so far untested. The dragon tore into them, scorching the grasslands around the gates. It was only slightly delayed when two of my marksdwarves somehow climbed out their archer tower overlooking the pit (pointing out a design flaw at a supremely bad time).

The dragon finally stepped onto the trap bridge but passed the first traps unharmed. A duke had nearly crossed the bridge, but the dragon sent a stream of fire after him. The flames spread out and scorched the waiting traps on the causeway. A baron tried to enter the bridge pit behind the dragon: it turned and engulfed the traps behind in flames as well. The burning duke teetered on the edge: the dragon rumbled closer on the defenseless bridge and launched a finishing stream of fire at him. The wall of flame reached inside the fort, destroying the the inner trap layer of cage traps. Now only the militia remained, gripping their weapons behind a corner. Briefly disappearing in the smoke, the dragon finally made a fatal misstep and tumbled down to its doom, saving the militia from horrendous casualties.

The dragon's attack could not have been better timed, it must have ended a dozen bloodlines (including the countess of Dragonvault) in a single day. I think my engravers have something to depict on the walls of the queen's new throneroom.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

csidle posted:

This farm plot has been inactive for months. I don't think there's anything blocking it?

You may not have many dwarves the the labor to build enabled. I don't know if masonry is a catch-all skill for any building, or if the farms require one of the farming skills.

Make a custom work profile with everything enabled and set it to 'everyone does this', see what happens.

e: The Great Scourging of The Nobility by the Honorable Dragon is awesome.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:stare:

do you want a gangtag

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Demiurge4 posted:

The cavern floors are named something like “dense fungus” and are 5x more productive as farmland than muddy floor tiles. Check your farms, in the bottom left it’ll say if it’s poor soil quality.

Perfect! Thanks man. I’m like 30 levels deep and still haven’t found the caverns.

I’m going to close off my drawbridge and create a underground airtight entrance/exit trapped to hell and build it wide enough for traders. Going to put some retractable bridges in there as well so I can watch whatever I don’t want coming in fall 30 z levels if they aren’t welcome. Surely nothing will go wrong!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 12, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

csidle posted:

It permanently was set to suspended. Presumably because there used to be a reserved thing around.
It will never unsuspend unless you press the button manually.

e: read your thing wrong.
No idea what the problem could be. Maybe you have nobody with the appropriate labor active? It should be planting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lmao oops I just atom-smashed a visiting bard when mucking with my drawbridge to let a caravan out during a Hill Titan visit.

Spoiler: The merchant guards murderized the titan.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Do you need two separate temples when you get the request for the next level religious building?

I've had the base one for a while and it has 47 followers. Now the request comes in to build the next level (the one in yellow), but that only has 10 followers (the Communion of Crests)? That makes them seem like they are different things and would require two rooms.

On the other hand, upgrading the initial temple to the next level seems like it makes more sense

Nettle Soup posted:

Set up the healthcare jobs as a custom labour order that anyone can do, and then force somebody to do it by restricting them to only that job. It seems very low priority otherwise.

Also, this was a lifesaver (dwarfsaver?) as I've had some guys lingering in the hospital for like a year getting ignored. Now in the time it took me to write this comment 3 dudes using that custom labor got all the patients checked out of the hospital

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Arrath posted:

You may not have many dwarves the the labor to build enabled. I don't know if masonry is a catch-all skill for any building, or if the farms require one of the farming skills.

Make a custom work profile with everything enabled and set it to 'everyone does this', see what happens.

e: The Great Scourging of The Nobility by the Honorable Dragon is awesome.

Doesn't seem to help.

I've got two workshops, some floors and a bunch of wall smoothings that have gone untouched for 6+ months as well.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I think my fort is on a slight doom spiral because I did not make a well and a single cave crocodile killed one dwarf and injured several, most of whom are now dying of thirst in my hospital as the dwarves just go "uhh can't give these people anything to drink boss" from the middle of barrels and barrels of dwarven ale. for some reason the dwarves also refuse to move the bodies of the dead cave crocodiles or troglodytes, which is a problem as one of those cave crocodiles died literally in the middle of the busiest spot in my fort, which is now filling with miasma as everyone is going "oh i'm sure someone else is handling it, i'm too busy drinking at the tavern and watching the naked goblin dancer that is visiting". there have been several cases of someone blatantly not doing their job to laze about, like the time the militia commander went "oh shiny" and checked out the miners guildhall while chasing down a crocodile.

once people stop dying of thirst, i think i need to put in someone on engraving duty for a bit and see what he engraves about these recent events.

i am now trying to find a good spot to place a well, but i think at least three more dwarves will die of thirst, surrounded by barrels of ale, before it is complete. that is if the ant people from the caverns don't come to visit.

i think i'd like a gang tag if that counts as a story, replace subforum slayers

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I think my fort is on a slight doom spiral because I did not make a well and a single cave crocodile killed one dwarf and injured several, most of whom are now dying of thirst in my hospital as the dwarves just go "uhh can't give these people anything to drink boss" from the middle of barrels and barrels of dwarven ale. for some reason the dwarves also refuse to move the bodies of the dead cave crocodiles or troglodytes, which is a problem as one of those cave crocodiles died literally in the middle of the busiest spot in my fort, which is now filling with miasma as everyone is going "oh i'm sure someone else is handling it, i'm too busy drinking at the tavern and watching the naked goblin dancer that is visiting". there have been several cases of someone blatantly not doing their job to laze about, like the time the militia commander went "oh shiny" and checked out the miners guildhall while chasing down a crocodile.

once people stop dying of thirst, i think i need to put in someone on engraving duty for a bit and see what he engraves about these recent events.

i am now trying to find a good spot to place a well, but i think at least three more dwarves will die of thirst, surrounded by barrels of ale, before it is complete. that is if the ant people from the caverns don't come to visit.

i think i'd like a gang tag if that counts as a story, replace subforum slayers

Injured Dwarves in a hospital can only drink water, not booze. You need a well preferably, or access to water from a brook/river/cavern.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nosre posted:

Do you need two separate temples when you get the request for the next level religious building?

I've had the base one for a while and it has 47 followers. Now the request comes in to build the next level (the one in yellow), but that only has 10 followers (the Communion of Crests)? That makes them seem like they are different things and would require two rooms.

On the other hand, upgrading the initial temple to the next level seems like it makes more sense

So, different sects/faiths can request temples. You need to figure out whether a different sect wanted one, or whether the sect that has a temple wants an upgraded one. Both can happen and are separate things.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

csidle posted:

Doesn't seem to help.

I've got two workshops, some floors and a bunch of wall smoothings that have gone untouched for 6+ months as well.

Any chance you slapped down a big gather plants order or zone? Or some other equivalent "everyone will do this" job.

I once put out a huge gather plants order in a panic cause I was low on food and ALL HANDS immediately rushed outside the start gathering flowers. Except they got stuck out there, standing on the first tile they reached for the task, I think cause I didn't have adequate stockpile space. They didn't come back in from the cold until I disabled plant gathering. In the meantime everything else had ground to a halt.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Drakenel posted:

A good bout of Fun! May it earn you an entry into Armok's halls. :black101:

Thanks, it was quite an evening. I have now buried my dead. Crystalguards lives!

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Arrath posted:

Any chance you slapped down a big gather plants order or zone? Or some other equivalent "everyone will do this" job.

I once put out a huge gather plants order in a panic cause I was low on food and ALL HANDS immediately rushed outside the start gathering flowers. Except they got stuck out there, standing on the first tile they reached for the task, I think cause I didn't have adequate stockpile space. They didn't come back in from the cold until I disabled plant gathering. In the meantime everything else had ground to a halt.

Well, only the entire outside. Basically all my dwarves are excellent herbalists...

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Injured Dwarves in a hospital can only drink water, not booze. You need a well preferably, or access to water from a brook/river/cavern.

winter time so everything's frozen, and down in the depths there's cave crocs and troglodytes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kenning posted:

Thanks, it was quite an evening. I have now buried my dead. Crystalguards lives!

drat that's satisfying to look at.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

mst4k posted:

Perfect! Thanks man. I’m like 30 levels deep and still haven’t found the caverns.

I’m going to close off my drawbridge and create a underground airtight entrance/exit trapped to hell and build it wide enough for traders. Going to put some retractable bridges in there as well so I can watch whatever I don’t want coming in fall 30 z levels if they aren’t welcome. Surely nothing will go wrong!

Surely nothing that flies could attempt crossing the bridge! :D

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HopperUK posted:

My standard quarters look worse than this

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

winter time so everything's frozen, and down in the depths there's cave crocs and troglodytes.

Such is the life of a dwarf.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Gosts posted:

I had a similar problem with shells. I am not totally sure I understand what you need in this situation, but for me it went like this:

I had 1,000,000,000 turtle shells so i made tons of turtle shell stuff. It was getting sorted in with other finished goods, so I made a separate stockpile for finished goods, disabled everything, then enabled turtle shells. It didn't work! I was confused, but it turns out the problem was that some of those settings aren't types of items- it's quality. So I had actually created a stockpile that takes turtle shell finished goods, but NOT if they are [masterwork, artifact, excellent, good, normal, any quality level in the game], and NOT if they are [necklace, amulet, bracelet, ring, any type of finished good in the game]. So effectively, it takes nothing.

All I had to do what set the stockpile to take material: shell, and takes ALL the item types and quality levels. Then you can just disable 'shell' on your normal finished goods stockpile, and they'll remove all shell items, and sort them separately.

Very annoying to figure that out, but it's actually a cool system. Whatever your specific fortress has way too much of, you can single out and put elsewhere. My nobles keep banning amulet exports, so I can even make a stockpile just for my shell amulets, disable amulets for my 'shell' stockpile, and that way, i can just sell an entire bin of everything-shell-but-not-amulets!

I know it's a million posts ago but thanks! I'm going to try that out, I appreciate the help. My gods this thread moves faster than a dwarf throwing a tantrum up and down the stairwells.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I had an idea but I don't know if it's viable. I think it'd be fun to have a public facing tavern and inn on the surface, then a tavern inside for citizens. Is there any way to have outsiders pay for alcohol and staying at the inn?

And how would I go about ensuring both taverns would stay stocked with alcohol?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So dwarves in a strange mood will only request available items, correct? Does "available" mean "somewhere on embark" or does it mean "you have at least one unit of the rock/metal/gem/wood/whatever they want, regardless of if you still currently have it?"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So dwarves in a strange mood will only request available items, correct? Does "available" mean "somewhere on embark" or does it mean "you have at least one unit of the rock/metal/gem/wood/whatever they want, regardless of if you still currently have it?"
Nope! I had a dwarf die 'cause I didn't have any silk cloth.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It’s often leather they want from me, and I’ll have plenty of livestock but currently no skins so I end up sending one to the butcher

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Poking around Legends mode last night I found a guy who'd been taken by a fell mood and killed a nearby human to make him into a human bone floodgate.

The human was *eleven years old*

So I guess sometimes they'll source their own materials

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I had some bard visit my tavern about a year ago and he dropped some amulet on the floor, which I wondered about and was promptly whisked away to one of my many stockpiles.

... turns out a LOT of people want that stupid amulet. I've had to fight off a series of invaders skulking about.

Also, I had my first Ettin attack and managed to take it down with no casualties and no injuries even, all because someone's brave pet duck distracted it during the fight long enough for it to go down. But not before it whacked the duck's head clean off. This game rules as usual.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

HopperUK posted:

Squiggle posted:

My standard quarters look worse than this

Laying out intricate living/burying quarters is one of my favorite parts of this game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Poking around Legends mode last night I found a guy who'd been taken by a fell mood and killed a nearby human to make him into a human bone floodgate.

The human was *eleven years old*

So I guess sometimes they'll source their own materials

That's a "bonus" aspect of fell moods, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Eiba posted:

Nope! I had a dwarf die 'cause I didn't have any silk cloth.
this is a good reason to buy up lots of leather/cloth from traders, along with needing to replace clothes sometimes