Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Having a really weird issue on my Pixel 7 Pro.

My son's school uses an app called Join Our Class. I haven't had to use it since I upgraded from my 6 to the 7, but I just went to find it and it isn't on my phone even though I transferred all my apps. I figured maybe it got missed or deleted somehow so I went to the app store and it will not show up in search. Then I got on my desktop and went to the play store and the app shows up as the first result with the exact same search ("join our class"). I tried to install it to my phone from the desktop and it says it is already installed on my pixel 7 pro so it doesn't give me the option. It does not exist on my phone, I looked in the app settings menu and it does not show up there in the app list or in the unused apps list or in any kind of search.

What in the hell is going on?

Edit: Nevermind, I went back to the app store on desktop again and now says it is not compatible with my device (7 pro). I didn't even know that was a thing? Is there a way around it?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

D-Pad posted:

Having a really weird issue on my Pixel 7 Pro.

My son's school uses an app called Join Our Class. I haven't had to use it since I upgraded from my 6 to the 7, but I just went to find it and it isn't on my phone even though I transferred all my apps. I figured maybe it got missed or deleted somehow so I went to the app store and it will not show up in search. Then I got on my desktop and went to the play store and the app shows up as the first result with the exact same search ("join our class"). I tried to install it to my phone from the desktop and it says it is already installed on my pixel 7 pro so it doesn't give me the option. It does not exist on my phone, I looked in the app settings menu and it does not show up there in the app list or in the unused apps list or in any kind of search.

What in the hell is going on?

Edit: Nevermind, I went back to the app store on desktop again and now says it is not compatible with my device (7 pro). I didn't even know that was a thing? Is there a way around it?

Sideload it from APKmirror.

E:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Could it be a 32 bit app? Pixel 7 went 64 only.

Could be this too.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 5, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Could it be a 32 bit app? Pixel 7 went 64 only.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The discover feed on my pixel 6 pro has recently started including ads. I suspect this is a server side switch and everyone's affected, but I had thought I read somewhere that pixels were excluded from discover ads.

Is this happening for everyone else? Is there a solution, or do I just abandon discover?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

The discover feed on my pixel 6 pro has recently started including ads. I suspect this is a server side switch and everyone's affected, but I had thought I read somewhere that pixels were excluded from discover ads.

Is this happening for everyone else? Is there a solution, or do I just abandon discover?

Yeah I started getting them the other day on my 6a also, they're also all just white squares with some text because nextdns kills the ad image itself

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh, hey, my problem where my keyboard would mysteriously vanish is apparently not a problem with Swiftkey, but instead a problem with Amazon Prime's video player, and if I pull up the keyboard while watching a video the keyboard disappears until I either switch to a different default keyboard or reset my phone.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

YggiDee posted:

Oh, hey, my problem where my keyboard would mysteriously vanish is apparently not a problem with Swiftkey, but instead a problem with Amazon Prime's video player, and if I pull up the keyboard while watching a video the keyboard disappears until I either switch to a different default keyboard or reset my phone.

That's a feature.
You're not supposed to text at the movies. They're going for the full experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Miracast app? Searching Google Play brings up a whole lot of options, but my default is to assume apps are malware until proven otherwise. At this point I am more likely to trust a paid app than a free one, so don't care if a good one is like $20 or whatever.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My day brightens whenever opinion rewards asks me something weird

The last question was what devices do I use to turn on/off my lights between smartphone, voice commands, and several other options along those lines, all of them gadgets. I had to pick "other" and fill in "the wall switches." :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What Twitter replacements are recommended these days? I usually just used the official app in the past but the promotional ads have skyrocketed lately and its insufferable now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Kitfox88 posted:

What Twitter replacements are recommended these days? I usually just used the official app in the past but the promotional ads have skyrocketed lately and its insufferable now.

Log in through the web via Firefox plus uBlock Origin. It works extremely well and there aren't any gross ads for horrible products, because you've blocked them all!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

twitter has been actively hostile to full replacement clients for a long time now, so yeah web browser + ublock is probably the least bad option

alternatively block all the big brand accounts until you start getting the funny/weird ads from the bottom of the barrel

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

effika posted:

Log in through the web via Firefox plus uBlock Origin. It works extremely well and there aren't any gross ads for horrible products, because you've blocked them all!

Well poo poo, ok then. Thanks.

repiv posted:

twitter has been actively hostile to full replacement clients for a long time now, so yeah web browser + ublock is probably the least bad option

alternatively block all the big brand accounts until you start getting the funny/weird ads from the bottom of the barrel

Already did this but the problem is it's a 1:3 ratio for ads to actual tweets and at this point I'm just sick of it. :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Plus isn't anything official still subject to Twitter rearranging posts? Most clients let you keep the feed chronological.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Noticed an interesting difference between Messages on a Pixel 7 Pro vs a Pixel 4a 5g with regards to emoji reactions. On the 4a 5g, there's a button to select any emoji as a reaction, whereas on the 7 Pro only the default 7 reactions are available. Is there a reason for this, or a way to get the selection button back on the 7 Pro? As dumb as it sounds, this is actually annoying me since the default 7 reactions don't include typical reaction emoji like the heart or any sort of crying.

Here's how it looks on the 4a 5g:

And here's how it looks on the 7 Pro:

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 13, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Splinter posted:

Noticed an interesting difference between Messages on a Pixel 7 Pro vs a Pixel 4a 5g with regards to emoji reactions. On the 4a 5g, there's a button to select any emoji as a reaction, whereas on the 7 Pro only the default 7 reactions are available.

My 4a (not 5g) looks like your 7 Pro.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Splinter posted:

Noticed an interesting difference between Messages on a Pixel 7 Pro vs a Pixel 4a 5g with regards to emoji reactions. On the 4a 5g, there's a button to select any emoji as a reaction, whereas on the 7 Pro only the default 7 reactions are available. Is there a reason for this, or a way to get the selection button back on the 7 Pro? As dumb as it sounds, this is actually annoying me since the default 7 reactions don't include typical reaction emoji like the heart or any sort of crying.

Here's how it looks on the 4a 5g:

And here's how it looks on the 7 Pro:

I assume this is Google Messenger? Have you checked if both phones are on the same version?

For what it's worth, my Pixel 6 Pro looks like your P7.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
They were both running messages.android_20221115_01_RC01.phone_dynamic, updated on Nov 21, 2022. And yeah, "Messages by Google" is the app. I'm also not enrolled in the beta program on either device (though I presume they'd show different versions if that were the case). Perhaps they're running some A/B testing and my 4a 5g happened to get that feature while my 7 Pro and you guys didn't? My buddy with a 5a also isn't seeing the extra selection button.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^ I'm also not seeing that button on my 6a

effika posted:

I do that but lately I've had this issue where all outgoing fail to load (because something seems to block t.co URLs, haven't been able to find what). Do you have the same thing happening to you?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Could it be due to RCS on on your 4a 5g and off on the 7? Total speculation

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You wouldn't get the option at all on non rcs

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Kassad posted:

^^ I'm also not seeing that button on my 6a

I do that but lately I've had this issue where all outgoing fail to load (because something seems to block t.co URLs, haven't been able to find what). Do you have the same thing happening to you?

No issues so far. I've noticed Firefox doesn't work very well with VPNs and if there's a redirect it'll fail to load because Firefox decided it took too long. So if you're using a VPN that might be it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm not but actually I got it : it was because of a blocklist on NextDNS.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Skarsnik posted:

You wouldn't get the option at all on non rcs

Are you sure? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but It works with iPhone people (SMS?) and iPhone/MMS group chats now.

e: but yeah, "chat features" are enabled on both, and I assume for everyone else that isn't seeing the expanded response button as well.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 13, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No idea, why anyone would use messages beyond 2fa is beyond me 🤷

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh good let's have this conversation again!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My point still stands :colbert:

Have a hunt back in this thread when you lot were flipping out about this crazy thing called chip and pin when the rest of the world had been using contactless for years already

It's the same thing, eventually you'll figure it it out

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 13, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You use SMS for 2fa? Let me know when you reach 2022.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tbf the only thing that still insists on using sms for 2fa on my phone is Amex. Makes sense I guess

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I swapped back to Messages from Textra years ago just to utilize web messaging. Is there anything as seamless as that that you consider a "Better" option?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You use SMS for 2fa? Let me know when you reach 2022.

It's the only thing some websites/companies/banks support, so people don't have a choice in some cases.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

No idea, why anyone would use messages beyond 2fa is beyond me 🤷

I use it to text with a bunch of people :shrug: most on RCS. Works great.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just noticed the Flixster app is no longer available on android. Any decent recommendations for movie reviews?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a guide/how-to for Tasker, specifically with like, pictures?

I've gone to the website and done some Google searching and everything I've found just... doesn't correlate to the fields/pages I'm seeing in my app?

Like I'm not absolutely computer incompetent but it's incredibly unintuitive and when I've tried to do something I thought was basic (connected to WiFi? Unlock phone while connected) I've just.. not even come close. :psyduck:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Try macrodroid instead, I found it way more actually useful and intuitive

e: oh anything involving unlocking probably needs root these days, so neither may work for you

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Try macrodroid instead, I found it way more actually useful and intuitive

e: oh anything involving unlocking probably needs root these days, so neither may work for you

That was just the latest example I could think of. I'll give macrodroid a try, thanks!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you have a bt device at the wifi location you can set that to a trusted device in settings and it will keep your phone unlocked.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Do all podcast apps add ads to either (or both) the start and end of podcasts when you download them rather than stream?

I'm not super heavy on podcasts (yet?) but I'd like an app where I don't have to skip a minute of ads every episode. I tend to download them because the phone reception can be a bit spotty where I work, but this seems to be an excuse for apps to put ads everywhere. I checked out Google Podcasts and Podcast Addict today and both did this. Neither seem to have a paid version to get rid of this them.

I was thinking of trying Pocket Cast or finally shelling out for Spotify for this and music, are there any other apps to try out for an Android user? I have a Pixel 5.

Edit: I guess this sorta narrows it down, the main one I listen to lists these as the apps that have it:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 24, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pik_d posted:

Do all podcast apps add ads to either (or both) the start and end of podcasts when you download them rather than stream?

I'm not super heavy on podcasts (yet?) but I'd like an app where I don't have to skip a minute of ads every episode. I tend to download them because the phone reception can be a bit spotty where I work, but this seems to be an excuse for apps to put ads everywhere. I checked out Google Podcasts and Podcast Addict today and both did this. Neither seem to have a paid version to get rid of this them.

I was thinking of trying Pocket Cast or finally shelling out for Spotify for this and music, are there any other apps to try out for an Android user? I have a Pixel 5.

Edit: I guess this sorta narrows it down, the main one I listen to lists these as the apps that have it:

I don't think it's the app. My understanding is that it's the podcast itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

hooah posted:

I don't think it's the app. My understanding is that it's the podcast itself.

So I have to stream it to avoid the injected ads? That's weird and lovely