Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who uses spoons? Wooden ones are so shallow they don’t hold much. I use a ladle if I need to scoop

Wooden spatulas are $1.30 each, get a bunch, treat them like poo poo, get new ones if they break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When the utensils seize power you will be first against the wall

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have shrugged and not even bothered to stalk ex-roommates who left with unpaid bills, but absolutely hounded someone who took my favorite pair of tongs when she left. I have had them since childhood, goddamn it.
I got them back.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

When the utensils seize power you will be first against the wall

Yeah. I’ve got a good beech spatula that I like. I oil
It occasionally and never dishwasher clean it. Ditto a set of three lovely wooden spatulas I got my wife.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Goons With Spoons, I need your support.

I have thought about making a thread highlighting our spoons for years. I have used one spoon for 30 years. It has a flat side on the rounded handle where I tapped it on pans thousands of times. It has a fully deformed head, since I only use it left handed, so the right side is worn down and the left side is as it started.

It means a lot to me, and it's made thousands of meals through many stages of my life.

Today... well, today, MY spoon died. I tapped it against the pan as I was making fried rice and felt... something. Tapped again and I recognized... it was flex, the handle had broken and was flexing.

Post your spoon, here or in a new thread, and let's give our main tool a shot at the spotlight.

:rip: a goon's spoon

Goons Without Spoons

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

tilp posted:

Goons Without Spoons

:vince:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tilp posted:

Goons Without Spoons

:golfclap:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any of you have things in your pantry that you have just to have? Things that you got excited about but are scared to use because then you wouldn’t have them anymore? I’ve got zillions

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"Sweet Ethiopa B" sounds like a drug.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CainFortea posted:

"Sweet Ethiopa B" sounds like a drug.

It is

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Special ingredients that I save until they go bad is like my whole life

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Special ingredients that I save until they go bad is like my whole life

please don’t doxx me

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I mean, you can't use it, then you'd have to go buy more and who has time for that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm glad I'm not one of those people that lets my RPG playing style effect my cooking. Cuz y'all sound like me, I can't use a phoenix down now I only have 39 left!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
friends, comrades, my chocolate habanero plant that was still fruiting has just been buried under a pile of snow. let us have a moment of silence for all my pico de gallo plans for the next few months

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm so sorry for the loss. My birdseye pepper plants refruited and spread this year and I didn't realize it and now I have a back garden of 50-60 full-sized plants. They're not good as the main fruit in a pico but they're good as a nice heat booster please let me send you 4-5 gallon bags of tiny peppers.

No I won't cut them down. I will just start a pepper sauce factory.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thought y’all might enjoy this

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'll have my Force with Cream please.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Boiled Jumbo Squab plz.

before the check arrives i lean over to ask, “is this dollars or cents?”

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just assumed it was a New York room service menu

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I dream of having toast, a poached egg, salt mackerel, and a pot of coffee for breakfast for a dollar. Hell I'd just be happy to have a salt mackerel option in the restaurant period.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's a 1907 menu, all the prices are in cents. Average blue collar worker made ~$0.22/hr, average household income was a couple hundred. White collar professionals might make a couple grand.

A steak that cost you $0.60 in 1907 is like a twenty dollar steak today. The real holy poo poo thing about that menu is that the Flatiron Restaurant was in the basement of the Flatiron building (which had just been completed in 1902) and seated ~1500.

It's also kinda cool that there's so much offal in their breakfast menu. That used to be a common thing across the US (although a diner in the South that would be happy to give you a plate of brains and eggs would probably be baffled by calf's brains, beurre noir), but by the second half of the 20th Century that sort of thing had become a thing mostly rustic and southern.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Multiple tripe preparations is indicative of wholesome cooking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The NYPL has a huge collection of historic menus. Sorted by number of dishes for your entertainment

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yesterday, I bought a duck.

By the end of today, I will have an elegant duck terrine for my Christmas starter, duck stock for making gravy and duck fat for my roast potatoes.

I love cooking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Yesterday, I bought a duck.

By the end of today, I will have an elegant duck terrine for my Christmas starter, duck stock for making gravy and duck fat for my roast potatoes.

I love cooking.

I bloody love duck. I’m waiting to board the train to Paris for a meeting tomorrow morning. I am intent on finding confit de canard for dinner tonight, ideally with dauphinois potatoes, and a glass of decent red. Hopefully my partners don’t get in touch for us to eat together because I’d actually love to have a meal alone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
UPDATE: I know you’re all on tenterhooks. I arrived quite late in Paris. As soon as I exited the metro near my hotel I saw a cafe that was well-regarded and served lamb chops (also a great favourite) so I have ordered those, with a nice glass of Minervois. If I have room afterwards I will have a crème brûlée. I hope for confit duck* tomorrow lunch.

*initial typo “confit gently caress” followed by “confit dick”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

gently caress a confit duck dick 🎶

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
UPDATE 2: the lamb chops have been vanquished. Veni, vidi, vici. I am awaiting my green beans (the waitress thought I wanted frites instead of and not in addition to beans). I have not finished the frites so as to leave room for crème brûlée. The wine was very good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
UPDATE 3: the beans were cooked with oyster mushrooms and a lot of fat and black pepper. Absolutely delicious. I really like green beans but my stupid wife doesn’t so I don’t eat them often. Mushrooms and beans was very good! I imagine that the mushrooms provide a similar salty umami to lardons in a dish like that.

Creme brûlée of the day was lemon, which I don’t fancy. A whole crème brûlée would have been too rich anyway. (I made them myself for the first time last week, BTW. They were pretty good). I’ve gone for a scoop of coffee ice cream instead.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you like mushrooms and green beans, try this simple recipe hack: 1 can of cream of mushroom, 1 can of green beans, bake, top with fried onions. Paris at your doorstep

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never eat so well as I do in Paris. Thinking about those beans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Maestro posted:

If you like mushrooms and green beans, try this simple recipe hack: 1 can of cream of mushroom, 1 can of green beans, bake, top with fried onions. Paris at your doorstep

^^this is meant to be a gif but I’m not sure it’s giffing.

quote="Mr. Wiggles" post="528452608"]
[/quote]

I loving love lamb chops so I was expecting those and the frites to be good, and they were, but the beans with mushrooms were a revelation.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 15, 2022

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

therattle posted:

I loving love lamb chops so I was expecting those and the frites to be good, and they were, but the beans with mushrooms were a revelation.

Hmm, I have one piece of duck confit left from a tin I opened the other day, I was going to do green beans with it but just with garlic. Might have to try cooking them with mushrooms instead!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pseudohog posted:

Hmm, I have one piece of duck confit left from a tin I opened the other day, I was going to do green beans with it but just with garlic. Might have to try cooking them with mushrooms instead!

Do! And shitoads of pepper and oil/butter. Garlic would also work with that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It really is just the best. I don’t think that the highest of the high end are really any better than any other major city, but the overall average standard is just so high. You can walk around any street in Paris and find somewhere really good. My usual technique is to randomly turn two corners and stop at the first place with a blackboard instead of a menu. It has never let me down.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Paris was a cointoss for me, some great, some clearly trading on the fact that they were in Paris and that most tourists don’t know what good food is

Some were tourists traps that made excellent food

Side note: as far as being tourist-hostile, my friend living in Montmartre said that in the 90’s France had a big PR campaign begging people to be nice to tourists. She says it was 50% successful, which lines up with my experience

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I performatively hate Paris after a bad experience as a teenager and will always promote Lyon instead, which is cleaner, friendlier and the food is better.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m English, I’m never going to sing the praises of Paris.
I prefer Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What are you talking about, Paris is a great city. So is Rome. And I believe the food in Lyon is incredible.